• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham 'Fast and Furious' Spinoff Gets 2019 Release

Rock and Stath were by far the best things about the mediocre recent outing of the franchise, so this is good news. Get rid of all the other crap, and focus on the good stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Still haven't seen 8.

Fast 7 was a closure to me.

For some reason I tear a bit up with the final scene. Really weird for what these movies really are.

i cried at the F7 monologue

as someone who has seen 8, i would consider the series done at 7. no point in continuing.

AndyVirus

Terminator is living on fumes at this point and isn't a threat to anything.
The shit fest that is Genisys still managed nearly 450m. If they hammer home Cameron and Hamilton's involvement and, you know, it's actually good, it'll make a sizable dent in the film. Both will be crushed by Lion King of course.

I don't remember the last time F&F had competition. They usually choose a clear 3 or 4 week period.

flozuki

I wonder how the reaction will be after boxoffice numbers. This will not even get close to the results of the main series and a big title alone doesn't guarantee anything if the movie is not good. That said good luck to Dwayne and Statham. Even if there is beef involved and I see Vin as a more important character in the series Dwayne is a good dude.

Fluloco

Still haven't seen 8.

Fast 7 was a closure to me.

For some reason I tear a bit up with the final scene. Really weird for what these movies really are.

Honestly, it's not that good, it has its moments though. The best part is the chemestry between Statham and The Rock, so this spin off indeed could be great.

Blader

The shit fest that is Genisys still managed nearly 450m. If they hammer home Cameron and Hamilton's involvement and, you know, it's actually good, it'll make a sizable dent in the film. Both will be crushed by Lion King of course.

I don't remember the last time F&F had competition. They usually choose a clear 3 or 4 week period.

I'm not sure what hammering home Cameron's involvement would do here, since he has shilled for every other Terminator sequel already. If it were directed by Cameron that'd be one thing, but a "produced by James Cameron" spot with clips of him talking up this movie as the real Terminator 3, the one fans have been waiting for, etc. would be some serious deja vu :lol

I'm not sure what hammering home Cameron's involvement would do here, since he has shilled for every other Terminator sequel already. If it were directed by Cameron that'd be one thing, but a "produced by James Cameron" spot with clips of him talking up this movie as the real Terminator 3, the one fans have been waiting for, etc. would be some serious deja vu :lol

yeah he's always hyped up these shitty sequels. but this time he actually seems legitimately involved for once (not to a great extent, but it seems like he's actually there for this one)

the other times it was pretty apparent he was just cashing a cheque and being nice for his friend Arnold.

Vic_Viper

Looks like the Scott Eastwood spin off called Overdrive, is about to release soon! Looks like what Fast and the Furious used to be about before we got Fast 45.

Overdrive-German-Poster.jpg

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The Rock has proven over and over he can't carry a movie. Maybe the Fast brand will help but his star power seems to be greatly exaggerated.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Man tyrese better stop this or end up getting choked out by the Rock like vin Rhaines did to him in Baby Boy. I am sure that the gif is being created as we type

Vin so raged about this becoming reality.

Vin doesn't even need Fast Furious because he has other important sequels to make in different action franchises like Riddick, XXX, Saving Private Ryan, MCU, The Last Witch Hunter. Fast Furious is just a small part of Vin Diesel. Rock really needs to work Fast Furious for all it's worth because otherwise it's back to wrestling.

Vin doesn't even need Fast Furious because he has other important sequels to make in different action franchises like Riddick, XXX, Saving Private Ryan, MCU, The Last Witch Hunter. Fast Furious is just a small part of Vin Diesel. Rock really needs to work Fast Furious for all it's worth because otherwise it's back to wrestling.

Looking forward to the Saving Private Ryan sequel

Maybe him and Statham can try make a movie without FF name and see what happens. Dick justice will go but how many others?
Probably more people than would go to see a movie starring the other guys without the FF name. Which is likely the main reason why this is being made in the first place. Because people actually want to see a spin-off starring Rock and Statham, rather than the charisma vacuums that are Vin Diesel or Michelle Rodriguez.

UrokeJoe

Whatever the Rock is cooking it has way to much salt. Dude needs to slow down. Take a break and work on a Rundown sequel.

Is this sarcasm?

Vin Diesel's filmography from 2009 onwards:
f0bee73c83.PNG

The Rock's filmography from 2009 onwards:
86f51563b1.PNG

Also I like how you put down Saving Private Ryan as an "action franchise". Unless my sarcasm detector is genuinely broken.

jmdajr

I think Vin is worth more than Rock but the gap is closing.

Edit:Nevermind! Rock the top dawg now!

Vin Worth 160 mil
Rock 190 mil
Vinnie Mac 1 billion +

Mrbob

Yeah he's been in big stuff but the keyword was carry. Look at the stuff where he's the main guy and it's Baywatch, San Andreas, Hercules, Pain & Gain, Snitch etc and most I think would be considered flops and generally mediocre films. I'm not surprised people would be slightly annoyed that he gets a spinoff when he's riding its success.
Pre San Andreas you could argue that. San Andreas and beyond I'd disagree with that statement. San Andreas is a great number. So is Central Intelligence. Baywatch number a miracle considering 18 million opening weekend and "bad" word of mouth. People still went to see it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
James. Cameron.

Yeah, look at all the movies that he is the main actor of. A lot of failures when you look at the budgets.

Baywatch
Central Intelligence(did okay)
San Andreas
Hercules
Pain and Gain
Journey 2

the list goes on

?
Central Intelligence did well. 4x it's budget, San Andreas is closer to 5x. Both are in the money. Pain and Gain 3x, Journey 2 4x. GI Joe was about 3x, but more than the last with some 70 million off the budget.

Even Hercules wasn't a failure when it hit 2.5x it's budget. Which is the range typically for a film to be profitable(2.5-3x) in theaters. Unless it's heavily relying on China gross, which in case is more.

Reason why Baywatch is such a black mark is that it was his film. His companies' film, his producing, and clearly his hands all over the project. It didn't do well, but 170mil against 70mil budget isn't the end of the world either.

Rock's has been a very consistent box office draw.

Baywatch
San Andreas
Hercules
Pain and Gain
Journey 2

San Andreas and Central Intelligence firmly made money. EDIT: So did Journey 2.

You can make you point using the rest, but trying to add additional films to pad out your point doesn't really help it.

JdFoX187

Banned
James. Cameron.

Yeah, look at all the movies that he is the main actor of. A lot of failures when you look at the budgets.

Baywatch
San Andreas
Hercules
Pain and Gain
Journey 2

the list goes on

What are you talking about? The only two movies on that list that underperformed were Baywatch and Hercules. Everything else did well -- or, in the case of Pain and Gain, as well as could be expected with the material. Johnson isn't the huge star that he's sometimes built up to be, but he's a hell of a lot bigger than Vin Diesel and a hell of a lot more talented, too.

EDIT: I see this horse has been beaten into soap.

San Andreas and Central Intelligence firmly made money. EDIT: So did Journey 2.

You can make you point using the rest, but trying to add additional films to pad out your point doesn't really help it.

So did Journey 2, unless I'm missing something with its budget to profit ratio.

EDIT: NVM, saw your edit just now.

Top Bottom