• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 PS4/Xbone/PS5/XsX gameplay comparison.

Warablo

That's a "gameplay" comparison?

Every time I see new footage from this, it looks like they have removed more and more of the original DL's gameplay and replaced it with increasing amounts of Mirror's Edge.
I remember taking a survey years ago about the DLC and sequel. Basically asking for more parkour moves like Mirror's Edge. I think they gotta a lot of feedback for more parkour moves because the audience liked it.
the floaty movement looks/feels so disgusting... dont remember the first game being like this
Some of the new moves look jarring mostly the extended parkour jumps you can do now, but the first one controlled well and you could always jump/dodge move side to side which was kinda floaty.

Antwix

Game looks pretty good. While the paraglider is all well and good, I'm not a fan of those wind lift things. Kinda strange to see in a more realistic-ish game like this. Also don't really care for the wall running mechanic. Still excited though as I just started playing thru the first Dying Light game and I'm definitely enjoying it.

Kupfer

I would be cautious about any hype. What is promised and shown is already contradictory.

There is explicit talk of more photorealism and realistic shadows. Apart from the fact that the game looks like a game and IMO not photorealistic at all, the first scene from this trailer alone contains "flaws", if you will.

Quote: "[...] that's why shadows cast by objects in the game are identical to what we see in real life",

And then they show this :
ZpuQlGz.jpg

Floating objects, no shadows.

I don't mean to be a hater of this game, but there have been early claims to the contrary of what is shown and I feel like the hypettain has become unstoppable due to the low output of good games in the moment. As if people forgot to wait for the release before finding a game awesome - Again.

Just be smart and don't pre order.

Last edited:

Beechos

I just hope I can become ovepowered quick and have fun.
Yeah maybe the developers will put an overpowered weapon blueprint thats cheap to craft again. What was it again in the 1st one, some excalibur type weapon/blueprint found on a rock in the middle of water somewhere i think it was.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Because it's another polish developer?
is the way they present their trailers, so far we only saw a glimpse of console gameplay and I think the the clips may be "handpicked" by the devs, hope im wrong,
I really like dying light 1 and still waiting for the 60fps patch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There is a really weird and new developing situation on the hardware side. There is a 'discount-factor' between a PC GPU and console GPU, i.e. you get less from the hardware on the PC than on the consoles for multiple reasons. It is probably in the ball-park of 20-30%.

That has pretty much always been the case (and PC gamers have pretty much always denied it). Take a PC GPU that's equivalent in power to the original PS4's and try to run Horizon or God of War on it. What some would call "coding to the metal", i.e. optimizing for a single hardware spec (while also using lower-level APIs), is a thing that does make a difference.

Maybe that's not fully applicable on a multiplatform release like this, but yeah.

Last edited:

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
They've gone too far with the Mirrors Edge movement style for me it seems from the previews. Fighting humans was easily the worst part of Dyling Light 1 and trailers seem to focus heavily on the hand to hand combat against the living in Dying Light 2 which has me concerned. Still a day 1 for me but I have reservations.

They've gone too far with the Mirrors Edge movement style for me it seems from the previews. Fighting humans was easily the worst part of Dyling Light 1 and trailers seem to focus heavily on the hand to hand combat against the living in Dying Light 2 which has me concerned. Still a day 1 for me but I have reservations.
Seems much more fluid though.

kyussman

Oh shit.....how the fuck did this get past me,I'm on here a lot....I was under the impression they had moved this game to next gen only,lol.....FUCK SAKE!!!

assurdum

Banned
This is as cross-gen as it gets, let's worry about actual current gen only games first. Things like Flight Simulator which are doing just fine.
I really don't get it all that defensiveness, honestly. Anyway game seems really disappointing in terms of graphic and even performance from such video. Finger crossed but I can't say to be happy to the actual state of the graphic. Also, there is something off about the graphic style chosen, compared the first. Characters seems so ps360 era, can't explain it better, definitely don't like at all what I see. But neither the first was exactly mind blowing from this point of views.

Last edited:
I really don't get it all that defensiveness, honestly. Anyway game seems really disappointing in terms of graphic and even performance from such video. Finger crossed but I can't say to be happy to the actual state of the graphic. Also, there is something off about the graphic style chosen, compared the first. Characters seems so ps360 era, can't explain it better, definitely don't like at all what I see. But neither the first was exactly mind blowing from this point of views.
Imma put it as simple as possible :

Please, don't play this game. It's not for u and u won't be happy with it.

Flabagast

Yes from the look of it the first one had a much stronger artistic direction, it looks stunning still today.

Here it seems to be passed through fornite filter with ugly purple and fluo colors.

Last edited:

IDWhite

That has pretty much always been the case (and PC gamers have pretty much always denied it). Take a PC GPU that's equivalent in power to the original PS4's and try to run Horizon or God of War on it. What some would call "coding to the metal", i.e. optimizing for a single hardware spec (while also using lower-level APIs), is a thing that does make a difference.

Maybe that's not fully applicable on a multiplatform release like this, but yeah.

Not only multiplatform, this is a common case that actually extend to some exclusive and first party games. The era of super-optimised assembler code on consoles is practically over. And DL2 seems like one of those games that is poorly optimized and cut in quality everywhere to achieve a decent performance .

Yes there are some games that fully use low level APIs and take into account every particularity in the hardware to maximize performance, but that is becoming a rare practice in todays developer routine.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not only multiplatform, this is a common case that actually extend to some exclusive and first party games. The era of super-optimised assembler code on consoles is practically over. And DL2 seems like one of those games that is poorly optimized and cut in quality everywhere to achieve a decent performance .

Yes there are some games that fully use low level APIs and take into account every particularity in the hardware to maximize performance, but that is becoming a rare practice in todays developer routine.

Yeah, of course games aren't optimized on assembler level anymore. That probably hasn't happened since MAYBE the N64 days?

But as you say, Sony has APIs that are "closer to the metal" than DirectX etc. But they also have similarly high level APIs, which are what most multiplats typically use. Which is why (in combination with focusing on a single hardware spec) their 1st party output blows most multiplats out of the water and achieve so much more on the same hardware.

Last edited:

Isa

I think it looks good across all the consoles. Granted there are always games that will look better, but for a multiplatform release the PS4 Xbone version look great, its always nice to see generations ending on high notes. The first game really came out at a great time, even their older games were good fun. I'm stoked for this release, have been since its announcement. Really anticipating launch over here, comes out just before my birthday.

IDWhite

Yeah, of course games aren't optimized on Ambler level anymore. That probably hasn't happened since MAYBE the N64 days?

But as you say, Sony has APIs that are "closer to the metal" than DirectX etc. But they also have similarly high level APIs, which are what most multiplats typically use. Which is why (in combination with focusing on a single hardware spec) their 1st party output blows most multiplats out of the water and achieve so much more on the same hardware.

Yes, i agree, but as i said, now this only happens in a few titles. On Playstation side last time i see some code on assembler was for the Cell on Ps3, since then i can only see C++ with dedicated functions on lowest level API. Today the vast majority of optimization is made in some parts of the code that are more frequently executed, maybe is one of the most heavy parts or not but there are not near perfect optimized games that take full advantage of the hardware like in the Ps1 - Ps2 era. Now a optimised console code could have a performance advantage in the 10 - 40% range compared to PC equivalent parts, no more, and this is an excuse for some companies to not waste more money and time squeezing the hardware, instead they cut in quality and quantity to get more performance.

DavidGzz

Defensiveness or logic? You just said it looks ps360 era and then try to dis the Series S as if it's the reason when the game in on last gen hardware. More like you're trying to get your jab in at Xbox ignoring simple logic. If anything is holding it back, it's the fact that it's a last gen game first.

First one already has a deep Mirror's Edge vibe.

What afraids me is the setting. The first was really amazing on that front, at the same time foreign, dreadful and beautiful, a truly marvelous city. This one seems more colorful and less heavy.
Exactly, this one seems a bit cartoony compared to the first. Also, every single preview said the games parkour in this is more floaty than the first. That's concerning because Dying light 1s parkour was perfect.

assurdum

Banned
Imma put it as simple as possible :

Please, don't play this game. It's not for u and u won't be happy with it.
Imma is person like you who can't handle a negative critic. I loved the first. I'm just extremely disappointed by the graphic. If it's like the first I will be more than happy.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Defensiveness or logic? You just said it looks ps360 era and then try to dis the Series S as if it's the reason when the game in on last gen hardware. More like you're trying to get your jab in at Xbox ignoring simple logic. If anything is holding it back, it's the fact that it's a last gen game first.
The level of stupidity and fanboysm of this post is something else. I never said series S has hold back the graphic in this game. Get a favour to you and go back to play to your precious XSS console indeed to live in your conspiracy world.

Last edited:
This is as cross-gen as it gets, let's worry about actual current gen only games first. Things like Flight Simulator which are doing just fine.
Considering cross gen games are not stopping anytime soon I'm gonna worry about cross gen games. I've been let down a bunch by cross gen games, even first parties, and that's ps5. It's a glorified ps4 pro with the ability to double fps it would seem. I was afraid Dying Light 2 would be disappointing as I saw the direction its been heading, downgraded from initial gameplay demo. 60 fps on these new consoles with cuts to settings on cross gen games. Unreal 5 may revolutionize some aspects of the visuals but at 30 fps. The overall performance won't be magically different to what these cross gen games can do, they'll just have the benefit of the engines capabilities.

Look at the upcoming Uncharted 4 remaster. It's going to be 1440p/60 or 4k/30. What other graphical improvements are we getting from acclaimed companies at Sony and Naughty Dog? None! That's right at only 1440p/60 we have only a doubling of FPS, no other improvements to shadows/lods/lighting/etc. Same story with Ghost of Tsushima. We picked up a little resolution with Ghost that's it.

I've bought a ton of ps5 updated cross gen games and they all are barely improved albeit at 60 fps. Only Returnal, Demons souls, miles morales, and Ratchet have impressed.

DavidGzz

The level of stupidity and fanboysm of this post is something else. I never said series S has hold back the graphic in this game. Get a favour to you and go back to play to your precious XSS console indeed to live in your conspiracy world.

I don't own a XSS, just the XSX and the PS5. PC is the way to play, could give two shits about consoles these days. They collect dust. So triggered lmao

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I pre-ordered the digital ultimate edition for Xbox Series X and super hyped for Dying Light 2!!! Been looking forward to this game for years. Three more weeks to go!!!

For those who are looking for PS4/XBO gameplay, Techland will be releasing gameplay videos before release. Could be as soon as Thursday as select YouTubers will be live streaming a side quest at 7pm EST. I'm so damn hyped!!!

assurdum

Banned
I don't own a XSS, just the XSX and the PS5. PC is the way to play, could give two shits about consoles these days. They collect dust. So triggered lmao
So it's even more bizzarre see you act as an XSS fanboy deeply hurted in your posts about absurd imaginary theories.

Last edited:
Imma is person like you who can't handle a negative critic. I loved the first. I'm just extremely disappointed by the graphic. If it's like the first I will be more than happy.
I have no stakes in Dying Light,my man. Never liked the first one. I much preferred Dead Island to this. I pre-ordered DL2 because it's only 10 bucks for me. I don't care about the game at all. You're negativity is just the usual game forum hyperbole.

assurdum

Banned
I have no stakes in Dying Light,my man. Never liked the first one. I much preferred Dead Island to this. I pre-ordered DL2 because it's only 10 bucks for me. I don't care about the game at all. You're negativity is just the usual game forum hyperbole.
"I'm extremely disappointed by the graphic"
Usual game forum hyperbole negativity
Sarcastic Uh Huh GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Now if you want to decide even what opinion people should have go on.
Maybe it's time to take a break to post in game forum my man.

Last edited:
"I'm extremely disappointed by the graphic"
Usual game forum hyperbole negativity
Sarcastic Uh Huh GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

Now if you want to decide even what opinion people should have go on.
Maybe it's time to take a break to post in game forum my man.
360 and so on. Keep on giving, pal. Fuck J. K. Rowling and I love you, brother/sister /other😘😘

stranno

XBOX One is super blurry, even why the compression artifacts of Youtube, probably sub-900p.

Still interesting that it can rock modern titles.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
GAF shitting on this game like Guardians of The Galaxy was and will be equally surprised at how good the game is. Just another day here.
This is exactly what I think and I’m hoping for. GAF gets it wrong in classic fashion once again.

I really enjoyed the original game so I want the sequel to do even better.

would be amazing if it ends up being brilliant and GAF is completely wrong once again.

Top Bottom