• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light: Best Zombie Game Of This Generation

Hulk_Smash

Banned
1. Nope, didn't even know the game had one. Is it a pick-up or a quest reward or something?
2. No, that's what I'm looking for though, my gf wants to play another game with me (we both enjoyed Dead Island 1 together a few years ago), so I was looking through my steam library, and saw that I owned Dying Light and wanted to give it a shot. I wanted to make sure we both liked it before I bought her a copy though.

That grapple hook makes a huge difference. It really makes travel faster and less reliant on parkour. I mean if you haven’t played far enough into the game that you weren’t shown the grapple hook then I’m not sure you’re getting the full experience.

Playing with someone else makes a difference in one very important area: revival. You die a lot in this game and it can me very frustrating if you don’t have another player than can revive you instantly.

Sorry to bump this but what is the deal with ammo in this game? I have never once looted any ammo yet every time I hit a safe house all my ammo on my weapons is instantly replenished. Is this a quality of life change they made to the game or is my game glitched?

Arachnid

Sorry to bump this but what is the deal with ammo in this game? I have never once looted any ammo yet every time I hit a safe house all my ammo on my weapons is instantly replenished. Is this a quality of life change they made to the game or is my game glitched?
You pick up ammo from running over armed enemies you kill. It doesn't refill automatically unless there's an update or something I'm missing

Last edited:

PSYGN

I don't think it can stand against RE, but its definitely up there. Great game.

Played this game with my brother. RE is fun but Dying Light is a different kind of fun when you have friends and family to play alongside in a free roam zombiefested environment.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Great game, especially the nighttime aspect. Iirc before the game was released they were planning on having a female protagonist as well but it was one of the cuts.

I could argue its the best ORIGINAL GAME of the last 5 yrs. Solid open world, looked amazing, good story and that co op was awesome. It got continued support and STILL gets new content. The DLC was probably some of the best ever. That parkour system just awesome.

You pick up ammo from running over armed enemies you kill. It doesn't refill automatically unless there's an update or something I'm missing
Yeah I've played the game for like 15 hours and never got an ammo pickup. I can go out at night by a safehouse and unload 72 shotgun shots, jump back into the safehouse and immediately have 72 shots again and rinse and repeat as many times as I want. It's actually really fun, but also no need to use a melee weapon at all.

Arachnid

Yeah I've played the game for like 15 hours and never got an ammo pickup. I can go out at night by a safehouse and unload 72 shotgun shots, jump back into the safehouse and immediately have 72 shots again and rinse and repeat as many times as I want. It's actually really fun, but also no need to use a melee weapon at all.
Wtf? That sounds gamebreaking actually. If you enjoy it, make use of it lol.

What difficulty are you on?

GymWolf

Just replaying this on pc at 4k60 and yes, this one was the best zombie game of the gen by far.

Never tried the dlc tho.

Last edited:

martino

Just replaying this on pc at 4k60 and yes, this one was the best zombie game of the gen by far.

Never tried the dlc tho.
DLC is different more time in car outside the city with more nature and "camps"
I prefer my time and traversial in Harran
And yes it's my pick for best zombie game that gen.

Last edited:

kyussman

Never tried the dlc tho.
Yea,one of my very favorite games on PS4.....total surprise too,never expected it to be as good as it was honestly.The Following dlc was also great I thought,even though it's a bit different with the car gameplay.It was still more Dying Light and that's ok with me.

GymWolf

DLC is different more time in car outside the city with more nature and "camps"
I prefer my time and traversial in Harran
And yes it's my pick for best zombie game that gen.
That's exactly the reason why i didn't bought the dlc at launch, i don't care for driving in a game with such a good parkour system.
But people always prais to death that dlc....

I kinda wanna try the hard difficulty but i don't want the zombies being too spongy, normal was already a decent challenge.

Last edited:

Denton

Following is great precisely because it is very different than main game, provides great contrast. I liked the buggy and the countryside atmosphere.

And yes, DL is the best zombie game ever made, not just of the gen. Biohazards have nothing on this.

martino

That's exactly the reason why i didn't bought the dlc at launch, i don't care for driving in a game with such a good parkour system.
And the crazy thing is traversial will be nothing in dying light if two deliver what demo showed.
This game is probably one of the few where it's game mechanics that hype more than graphics upgrades !
The risk of a let down is as high though

Last edited:

GymWolf

Following is great precisely because it is very different than main game, provides great contrast. I liked the buggy and the countryside atmosphere.

And yes, DL is the best zombie game ever made, not just of the gen. Biohazards have nothing on this.
Are the missions more like running with the car and running over zombies or there is some closed space?!

Does it have a strong plot with cutscenes like the first one?! Don't care if the plot itself is cheesy and mediocre.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
excellent game and a huge step up from dead island , but the GOG version i got recently stutters on my pc , anyone experience this?

GymWolf

The good thing is that the game sold gangbusters even with that shitty metascore, praise to gazi and his mom.

kyussman

I kinda wanna try the hard difficulty but i don't want the zombies being too spongy, normal was already a decent challenge.
The Following certainly has less parkour,it's lots of fields and farmland but the car gameplay is well done.....running into groups of zombies never gets old,you hit them with a very satisfying thud,lol.
It's also great value because it feels more like another whole game than a dlc.

intbal

The Following certainly has less parkour,it's lots of fields and farmland but the car gameplay is well done.....running into groups of zombies never gets old,you hit them with a very satisfying thud,lol.
It's also great value because it feels more like another whole game than a dlc.
Yes. It's more of a sequel than a dlc pack.

intbal

Is it story heavy like the first one?!
It has a main story, but that story doesn't quite have total control over the game's events like in the original game. Although it sort of rushes it in the last 15% to make sure they get the story told (also, the ending is quite controversial).
I would say it's more of a sandbox than the original game.

kyussman

Is it story heavy like the first one?!
I liked the story just fine,it's obviously smaller in scale,although the game world is still quite big.
Honestly if you enjoyed the base game I see no reason why you wouldn't enjoy The Following even with less parkour.

Top Bottom