• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Teggy

So I know I'm late to the party but question, are main missions time critical or is it like RPGs where you can ignore the mission until you want to play it (for example I'm supposed to get an airdrop the next night. If I wait for another night will I fail the quest?)

No, in fact there's one mission where a character asks you to meet her at a train car and I took like 5 days before I showed up :)

I've probably done about four hours now. Just been up two massive antenna towers for Karim and I've been out during a couple of nights, whereby I usually try to get back to a safe zone as quickly as possible. Just about able to deal with everything it throws at me, although I'm constantly running out of medkits and haven't really found any good weapons so far.

Liking it a lot, although it can feel like a very draining game to play at times. Having to keep constantly observing all around you to make sure no zombies are nearby feels very stressful.

Tigress

So if you are climbing up a straight up structure (like an antenna), how do you get back down... it doesn't seem to let you climb down from what I can tell. So far I just end up falling and taking the damage. And sometimes catching myself on the way down (cause I read that's how you're supposed to do it, just jump and try to catch a ledge on the way down). Is there a trick to it I'm missing?

Liking it a lot, although it can feel like a very draining game to play at times. Having to keep constantly observing all around you to make sure no zombies are nearby feels very stressful.

Yeah... So like I bought it knowing I was about to get mad max and wondering how I'd balance two games. But I find while I love Dying Light I need to take breaks from it cause it can be draining and Mad Max is the perfect break (Mad Max is a more arcadey game designed just for pure fun ).

Teggy

So if you are climbing up a straight up structure (like an antenna), how do you get back down... it doesn't seem to let you climb down from what I can tell. So far I just end up falling and taking the damage. And sometimes catching myself on the way down (cause I read that's how you're supposed to do it, just jump and try to catch a ledge on the way down). Is there a trick to it I'm missing?

This was something they didn't handle very well. There are always ziplines, but frequently they are below the highest point so you have to figure out how to get back to the lower platform without killing yourself. There are also often piles of garbage bags you can jump on to, but you have to know exactly where they are and get the jump right.

Tigress

This was something they didn't handle very well. There are always ziplines, but frequently they are below the highest point so you have to figure out how to get back to the lower platform without killing yourself. There are also often piles of garbage bags you can jump on to, but you have to know exactly where they are and get the jump right.

Darnit, I was hoping I was missing a trick. I guess I'm going to have to be more on the lookout for those garbage piles (and learn how to aim better cause the few times I remember to try to aim for one I tend to miss).

Teggy

Darnit, I was hoping I was missing a trick. I guess I'm going to have to be more on the lookout for those garbage piles (and learn how to aim better cause the few times I remember to try to aim for one I tend to miss).

By the way, there are upgrades you can get to reduce fall damage, particularly one that lets you roll as you land, so it becomes less of an issue later.

Made good progress last night. Got Excalibur and the plans for the Korrok Machete. Created a few potions to help with stamina etc and I had my first full night outside. Feel like I want to hurry up and get better weapons and improve my stats because that'll make the game more manageable and enjoyable.

Been playing quite a bit of the companion app - it's a useful little way of getting extra resources by sending care packages of up to 20 items to your character in the full game. I'm still finding it really tricky - the Korek Machete is great, but it runs out so goddamn fast and I didn't like the EXPcalibur all that much. The Korek Machete is still probably the best weapon I've found even when its blunt, so I've two of those on rotation.

Story-wise,
Jade's brother has just died and the doctor has been kidnapped by Rais
. I kind of feel that the story is utter shite and it's getting in the way of just enjoying the game. I mean, I like having some context but it's so poorly written and takes itself so seriously and some of the cutscenes last far too long. They should just deliver dialogue over the radio for context and have 'cutscenes' be real-time sequences where you can fuck around and not pay attention if you like.

Tigress

Been playing quite a bit of the companion app - it's a useful little way of getting extra resources by sending care packages of up to 20 items to your character in the full game. I'm still finding it really tricky - the Korek Machete is great, but it runs out so goddamn fast and I didn't like the EXPcalibur all that much. The Korek Machete is still probably the best weapon I've found even when its blunt, so I've two of those on rotation.

Story-wise,
Jade's brother has just died and the doctor has been kidnapped by Rais
. I kind of feel that the story is utter shite and it's getting in the way of just enjoying the game. I mean, I like having some context but it's so poorly written and takes itself so seriously and some of the cutscenes last far too long. They should just deliver dialogue over the radio for context and have 'cutscenes' be real-time sequences where you can fuck around and not pay attention if you like.

Wait, there's a companion app? Is it for iOS?

I'm loving the game (though not as far as you. I think I spend a lot of time futzing around rather than doing missions.
I just finished doing the chores for Rais that doesn't get you 2 crates surprise surprise. And now have to meet Jade in a boxcar
).

I think I just like going around looting things. And occasoinally do missions to give me some motivation when I get bored of just messing around. Then back to looting stuff.

And I'm actually enjoying the story so far.

Wait, there's a companion app? Is it for iOS?

I'm loving the game (though not as far as you. I think I spend a lot of time futzing around rather than doing missions.
I just finished doing the chores for Rais that doesn't get you 2 crates surprise surprise. And now have to meet Jade in a boxcar
).

I think I just like going around looting things. And occasoinally do missions to give me some motivation when I get bored of just messing around. Then back to looting stuff.

And I'm actually enjoying the story so far.

I have the companion app on Android but I'd be very surprised if it's not on iOS too.

I started doing side-activities, but I'm trying to move on with story missions as I want to get lots of lovely XP and unlock more weapons, so I haven't done many so far. I fight about 40% of the time and flee the rest, and at night some of the chases and/or avoiding the Volatiles is pretty exciting.

Tigress

Alright, new question. I did a silly thing and sold my military rifle for the police rifle. THe stats were better and since they used the same ammo I figured the military rifle would be redundant. I didn't realize the police rifle was not automatic. Now I want my military rifle back but not sure I'll see it in stores again (I notice weapons it considers too low level it stops selling you and I'm not sure I've seen any military rifles for sale anymore). I'm around level 12/13 at this point.

Damnit, at one point I even had two of the things.

Is there a location I can find another? I keep reading the bandits have them but in my experience the only bandits I've seen with them are on quests/side quests (basically how I got the first two). All the random bandits I find just have random melee weapons. Or are guns different than melee weapons and I shouldn't worry that the store will stop offering them? If I had known the police rifle wasn't automatic I would never have traded the guns.

Yeah, Rais' base has a lot of firearms, but I've never met bandits roaming around who have guns. However, you're not too far from reaching a point whereby you'll get loads of guns in the story, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Story spoiler for about 3-4 main missions further into the game: One thing I would say is when you go to
Rais' base to rescue Zere
, offload all extra weapons you're not really using as you'll have the chance to pick up literally about a dozen assault rifles and tons of military throwing knives.

I've just done that and now
I'm in The Pit
. I turned it off as I got there last night, so I don't know what happens next. Really hope I
don't lose all items and equipment
or any bullshit like that, because I had
three air drops I needed to deliver back to the quartermaster

I just
put the face on the building, and the jet blew it up
. I kind of like where the story is going now, although I don't think Rais is needed as an antagonist. Still finding it tricky - maybe the point is that you're generally supposed to flee rather than fight, but I still think weapons degrade too fast and there are a lot of items (like air drops) in areas with tons of zombies, and I can't see any reliable way to get them without killing a bunch of zombies, which invariably attracts the runner zombies which are a pain in the arse in Old Town.

Done about 15 hours now, and to be honest I'm getting a little tired of it now. Might start moving on with the story and try to wrap things up in the next few nights' play.

I just
. I kind of like where the story is going now, although I don't think Rais is needed as an antagonist. Still finding it tricky - maybe the point is that you're generally supposed to flee rather than fight, but I still think weapons degrade too fast and there are a lot of items (like air drops) in areas with tons of zombies, and I can't see any reliable way to get them without killing a bunch of zombies, which invariably attracts the runner zombies which are a pain in the arse in Old Town.

Done about 15 hours now, and to be honest I'm getting a little tired of it now. Might start moving on with the story and try to wrap things up in the next few nights' play.

It's fun but this was my problem as well. Youve made it further than me.

Tigress

I just

I'm pretty sure I've put more than that in the game (I'm still loving it) and still not tired of it. I just love chopping off parts and looting :). I still am not as far in the game as you but I will probably now work on the story as I've done every side mission I can find other than find binoculars which doesn't tell me where to go so I decided I'll either find it as I play or probably not at all (Don't feel like searching all the city... best way for me to get bored of a game is go on a search that feels futile and focus on that search only. If they gave me an area to search that would be one thing but not the whole city).

Honestly I'm at a point where I could see myself getting tired soon... or not. I got to this point with GTA and still played for quite a while before I really just wanted to stop playing (I'm still enjoying it but not as eager to instantly open it when I get home. But I'm still enjoying it once I start playing it). If I get tired of it maybe I'll have a chance to finish Mad Max before Fallout comes out (I've gotten so addicted to Dying Light can't get myself to play Mad Max over Dying Light).

You can see how long you've played on the Extras > Statistics screen. It actually has one of the best stats screens I've seen in a long time, telling you how many missions you've done, how many zombies you've killed, how many bandits you've killed, amount of money earned, etc. Wish more games offered this kind of info as I always find it interesting.

Also, you've definitely played for longer than I have as I only did probably half or a third of the optional side missions in the slums. I actually tried to travel back there last night to do more side, but the way was blocked off do I guess I can't until later in the story.

Tigress

You can see how long you've played on the Extras > Statistics screen. It actually has one of the best stats screens I've seen in a long time, telling you how many missions you've done, how many zombies you've killed, how many bandits you've killed, amount of money earned, etc. Wish more games offered this kind of info as I always find it interesting.

Also, you've definitely played for longer than I have as I only did probably half or a third of the optional side missions in the slums. I actually tried to travel back there last night to do more side, but the way was blocked off do I guess I can't until later in the story.

31 hours.... and I'm just past
Rahim turning into a zombie and having to kill him and the doctor being kidnapped

I've noticed any new side missions that pop up are just go fetch 5 coffees or 2 this or that's... I wonder why they didn't make those more beginner side quests when you first start out to get you used to the world and then do the quests where you have to
get the powerful UV bulbs from the bridge chock full of zombies
. It seems they did the hard side quests pop up first and any later ones are just little fetch quests. Or are those random ones kinda like Skyrim's random quests?

Dr.Acula

Banned
There aren't that many quests in this game.

My issue wasn't wasn't with runners or night, I got powerful pretty quick, so it got to the point where I felt too powerful lol.

If you get your stats to 24 or 25 or whatever the max is, you are pretty unstoppable.

I could see replaying this game at some point. There's a NG+ correct?

This game is really really fun in MP. I'd recommend playing co-op to anyone.

Teggy

One weird thing that happened to me in the game was that very early on I found an assault rifle as part of a quest, but I never found a rifle with better stats the entire rest of the game.

Hi is there any where i can find friends to help get yellow weapons via hunter mode.I found out thats the only way to get yellow weapons which sucks because i cant beat a single night hunter they are all waaaaay to powerful due to all the easy leveling glitches.

My psn is Dying_Breed15 if anyone can help me aquire these weapons please just add me or message me thanks.

Edit

Man, I hate the Devastators. So damn tedious to fight. On a side mission last night I had to kill a police captain to get a key, and of course the captain was a Devastator. I got him with a couple of molotovs, threw about 30 throwing axes at him, 20-something military throwing knives and I must have shot him 20+ times with my pistol before the noise started attracting too many virals. After that it took another few minutes of whacking him with my pick before he died. Am I missing a good strategy for killing them? To kill the first one I encountered in The Pit I kept tricking it to run into the spike-walls then bashing it when it was stunned, but I was playing in co-op at the time.

Tigress

Man, I hate the Devastators. So damn tedious to fight. On a side mission last night I had to kill a police captain to get a key, and of course the captain was a Devastator. I got him with a couple of molotovs, threw about 30 throwing axes at him, 20-something military throwing knives and I must have shot him 20+ times with my pistol before the noise started attracting too many virals. After that it took another few minutes of whacking him with my pick before he died. Am I missing a good strategy for killing them? To kill the first one I encountered in The Pit I kept tricking it to run into the spike-walls then bashing it when it was stunned, but I was playing in co-op at the time.

Which ones are the devastators? I haven't gotten to the Pitt so if they are introduced there that might be why I am trying to figure out which ones you are talking about if they don't show up til then. The closest thing I can think of to fit your post is the large guys with the large hammers (they changed now to firemen at my level. Used to look like construction guys).

Which ones are the devastators? I haven't gotten to the Pitt so if they are introduced there that might be why I am trying to figure out which ones you are talking about if they don't show up til then. The closest thing I can think of to fit your post is the large guys with the large hammers (they changed now to firemen at my level. Used to look like construction guys).

Yeah; you haven't got to them yet as I think the first one you fight is in The Pit, and then they're fairly common in
the second part of the city
. They're big really tough brutes who charge you if you get too close, or rip up chunks of concrete to throw at you if you're too far away.

Also, if you've found the exploding ones yet, I hate those one as well. I've found quite a lot of them indoors and they just show up and explode before you have a chance to realise what kind of zombie it is and escape. Although they're good in crowd situations outdoors as you can use them to destroy loads of other zombies.

Tigress

Yeah; you haven't got to them yet as I think the first one you fight is in The Pit, and then they're fairly common in
the second part of the city
. They're big really tough brutes who charge you if you get too close, or rip up chunks of concrete to throw at you if you're too far away.

Also, if you've found the exploding ones yet, I hate those one as well. I've found quite a lot of them indoors and they just show up and explode before you have a chance to realise what kind of zombie it is and escape. Although they're good in crowd situations outdoors as you can use them to destroy loads of other zombies.

Oh yeah, I got the exploding ones. They're not too common yet and they wouldn't be a problem except they are really good at sneaking behind me when I don't notice.

I have no idea why but I keep getting compelled to finish all my side quests I have before I can get myself to go on with the main story which is why it's taking me so long to progress. I mean I know i'm pretty bad about this but usually I can get myself to move on main story before all the side quests are done. I think it's cause I keep noticing that every time I progress in story new side quests pop up and part of me wonders if I don't finish the old ones if the new ones will show up. I probably should get around to actually finishing the story before I get bored of hte game (this is probably why I have a bad habit of not finishing games ;) ).

I think I'm on the last mission now. I'm
in the museum, Jade has been bitten and declined the antizin and for some reason Rais, being a complete idiot, keeps putting Crane in a trap with lots of zombies/guards and expecting him to die.
I'm finding the story so bad and Rais is a poor imitation of Vaas from Far Cry 3. Hope to finish up tonight. Not sure whether I'll continue to play and do more side-missions, or just move on to something else.

Tigress

Too late for you now as you are almost finishing but now that I've encountered those devestator zombies I've figured the best way is to dodge them in an arc so you end up behind them and can hit them while they gain their breath (also have to dodge at the last minute otherwise they'll follow you and your dodge will fail).

They are a PITA but with a decent weapon they go down in a few hits (unlike the crappy weapon they make you use in the pitt). ANd I had to fight the one in the pitt all by myself... I died quite a few times, heh (The virals chasing after me occasionally were pissing me off more). But the game is actually nice about it and kept most the damage I did on him. Honestly, the game is a little lax about dieing really not doing much other than losing you survivor points (and also the feeling of failure). Then again, I'm not sure I would find the game as fun as I'd probably get too frustrated with it if dieing was worse than that (like you lost all your items or something). This is not the kind of game I'm usually good at.

Alright, so what I thought was the final mission wasn't at all.
Jade is dead, I've killed Rais' chief grunt
(kinda hate the melee combat against human enemies in this) and I'm now back
in the city trying to deliver the data to the doctor
, whatever his name is. Also, I fucking hated the
drug sequence
. Not even sure what its purpose was, other than a really bad attempt at emulating the themes of Far Cry 3.

Still finding this game hard. I've got a bunch of weapons which deal 400+ damage, but fighting the rebar brutes and the Devastators is still tedious and takes multiple hits, and more and more frequently before the end of the game you fight multiples of these enemies. I was playing in co-op last night and we were inside a building fighting a Devastator in a thin corridor, and it was just horrible. We were both dying constantly and didn't have time to revive each other before it attacked again - and he was struggling too, so I thought it can't just be me, right?!

Teggy

Alright, so what I thought was the final mission wasn't at all.
Jade is dead, I've killed Rais' chief grunt
(kinda hate the melee combat against human enemies in this) and I'm now back
in the city trying to deliver the data to the doctor
, whatever his name is. Also, I fucking hated the
drug sequence
. Not even sure what its purpose was, other than a really bad attempt at emulating the themes of Far Cry 3.

Still finding this game hard. I've got a bunch of weapons which deal 400+ damage, but fighting the rebar brutes and the Devastators is still tedious and takes multiple hits, and more and more frequently before the end of the game you fight multiples of these enemies. I was playing in co-op last night and we were inside a building fighting a Devastator in a thin corridor, and it was just horrible. We were both dying constantly and didn't have time to revive each other before it attacked again - and he was struggling too, so I thought it can't just be me, right?!

Which are the devastators? The big guys with the hammers? Edit: oh, I see they are described above. I don't recall having to fight many of them. There are a lot of them roaming the city in the second part of the game but I spent all my time on the roofs.

Well, I'm finished. Took just a hair over 26 hours in the end and I got 55% trophies. Finished the penultimate mission
delivering the data to Camden
in co-op and then you have to do the final mission
climbing the building to face Rais
alone. Despite how much I've moaned I did really enjoy it overall. The tech is great, gameplay is a sensible evolution on Dead Island and the day/night cycle keeps it feeling exciting. I hated the story and sometimes felt the game was too difficult, but then it's pretty lenient with respawns.

Overall a very enjoyable game and probably my favourite zombie game of the last few years.

Mathieran

Banned
I just started this game yesterday and I am really enjoying it. However I have one gripe. I am a bit of an explorer/hoarder and my backpack fills up pretty quick. When I come across a new weapon that I don't want I have to make space to dismantle it. Is there a way to dismantle items without picking them up? It would save me a lot of annoyance.

I don't think there's a way to dismantle weapons straight away rather than pick them up, but to be honest you should never need more than 4 weapons + molotovs/firecrackers and any chosen boosters on rotation, so there is enough room. You also unlock some perks to increase the size of your inventory, up to four items in quick-slots and an additional 12 or 16 in your inventory (but not equipped). One of the first things I'd recommend is going around unlocking as many safe zones as you can, because when night comes you're probably going to want to high tail it straight there and sleep till morning.

Mathieran

Banned
Thanks for the tip. I guess my problem is I am hanging on to too many backup weapons. I've only played ala couple hours so I'm still figuring things out.
I had my first encounter with a pack of virals on a side quest and that was pretty intense. They completely caught me off guard and I hadn't seen one yet so I climbed up expecting to deal with them slowly and then they started following me up the building. I eventually beat them but it was close.

Tigress

I don't think there's a way to dismantle weapons straight away rather than pick them up, but to be honest you should never need more than 4 weapons + molotovs/firecrackers and any chosen boosters on rotation, so there is enough room. You also unlock some perks to increase the size of your inventory, up to four items in quick-slots and an additional 12 or 16 in your inventory (but not equipped). One of the first things I'd recommend is going around unlocking as many safe zones as you can, because when night comes you're probably going to want to high tail it straight there and sleep till morning.

I don't know, you don't lose anything by dieing at night and you gain survivor points by not sleeping (how many depends on how long you stayed alive <- not sure it is the longest you stayed alive at night or how long since you last died til dawn). Plus if you are careful it is easy to avoid the uber zombies and there are less regular zombies milling about.

Night honestly isn't that bad. it was the best time to lock pick police vehicles (not the ones on the bridge but the random vans around the map) when I was low level cause fewer zombies around and the map would let me know if the uber ones were getting close. Oh, and apparently I didn't seem to run into virals at night (maybe cause I was being more stealthy but still, in daytime sometimes I wouldn't be being loud and the virals would still randomly appear). They probably did that cause it would be really frustrating if you got the uber zombies and virals at once. But that's cause virals seem stickier (harder to lose by running) than the uber zombies.

I think the uber zombies would be scarier if they weren't so easy to avoid. They apparently were deaf cause they didn't seem to hear you (I could walk right behind them practically and they'd not notice) so as long as you stayed out of their white cone of site shown on the map you were good. Even if you did get in it you were given a timer that as long as you left before that was up, they'd still not see you. And if you died you lost nothing (no survivor points, not your weapons). The game is actually pretty forgiving about death. For me the harder part was just the feeling that I failed. Hell, I started doing the more dangerous stuff at night just so I wouldn't lose survival points.

Tigress

All I gotta say is fuck bombers in apartment hallways... what the fuck am I supposed to do when they corner me?! (Just got through the mission where they have me set bombs up in the apartment and those guys annoyed the crap out of me there).

Also, screamers are kinda creepy. especially when you haven't seen them and you can only hear this kid crying... the crying is just creepy!!!

(Yes, I'm still playing this game. Finishing every side mission before I go on the main quest. I know I have more than 40 hours in it and may have 50 now. Alternating it between Mad Max and GTA V is making it last longer. And Mad Max as well. Though I don't care if I finish Mad Max and I would like to finish this one).

Edit: I just realized why I find the screamer's crying disturbing... it reminds me of the baby in P.T. It's subconciously making me remember that game/demo.

Tigress

Alright. Finished the game. What does new game plus do? What do I keep if I do that?

Also, does it replace my current game or does it start a new game under a new slot? I'd rather not replace my current game quite yet.

A short thought on the ending
Sadly the only reason I care the end fight was just a QTE was that I wanted to kill Rais with his own gun damnit. Otherwise I was fine with it not being a super hard event cause that chase scene up to him with all the Volatile's was stressful enough

G_Berry

Banned
Just finished this as part of my backlog cull before the onslaught that is November rolls around. Took me 6 months to come back but it's finally done.

Like all games like this, I spend way too much time stuffing around and exploring then I get burnt out before I finish it, always right near the end.

So, that's batman and dying light done in two days. Next, Bloodborne!

Just finished this as part of my backlog cull before the onslaught that is November rolls around. Took me 6 months to come back but it's finally done.

Like all games like this, I spend way too much time stuffing around and exploring then I get burnt out before I finish it, always right near the end.

So, that's batman and dying light done in two days. Next, Bloodborne!

That avatar lol.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this last night and it feels good so far.
Kind of like a giant game of "the floor is lava" :D

Seeing all those zombies milling around on street level is creepy... not looking forward to my first taste of night time. Although I am looking forward to getting out of all the tutorial stuff and into the real meat of the pudding.

Parkour + zombie apocalypse seems like an obvious concept that people have been itching to do for a while, but this has executed it nicely. (Not that impressed with the cinematics/dialogue at this early stage, though.)

Bumping an old OT, but does anyone have an opinion on how the PC coop performs? I know it had issues at launch but I'll be playing it soon and I'm wondering how it's holding up and if they hammered the connection/game closing issues. Also does anyone know how to fix an issue with the sound connecting out?

Denton

Bumping an old OT, but does anyone have an opinion on how the PC coop performs? I know it had issues at launch but I'll be playing it soon and I'm wondering how it's holding up and if they hammered the connection/game closing issues. Also does anyone know how to fix an issue with the sound connecting out?
I finished it in coop with a friend on PC shortly after launch, no issues whatsoever.

I'm playing with two of my friends for over a month now (once a week) and it's been butter smooth. No issues whatsoever. We use Mumble for VoIP.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Anyone willing to help me run bozak horde on hard? Or maybe I can join your game? It's goddamned impossible solo with my weak character.

Top Bottom