• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light - Updated for Xbox consoles (OneX/SeriesS/SeriesX)

intbal

I couldn't find the official Dying Light 1 thread, and this isn't Dying Light 2 news, so I'm just going to post this new thread about it.
Five years late, Techland finally updates the original Dying Light for Xbox One X (and the Series Consoles).
I assume my daily angry tweets are the sole reason.

A1AprOA.jpg

Ezekiel_

Banned
I agree.
It should have just been unlocked. All of these consoles have VRR.
And the One X could most likely run this 1080p game at 45-60, anyway.

The player still needs a VRR capable display, so wouldn't unlocking it make the experience worst for most people?

intbal

The player still needs a VRR capable display, so wouldn't unlocking it make the experience worst for most people?
Although I said 45-60, I suspect the average would be in the mid-50s at worst. The base Xbox one runs this game at 30fps at 1536x1080. One X is dramatically more powerful than the base One.
And even if it stayed in the 40s, people without VRR could just stick with the Quality mode, since that's locked at 30fps. At the moment, performance mode has zero reason to exist.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's weird that this game can't run at a solid 1440p60 on these consoles. That's the LEAST I would expect.

It probably does, it's just their way of avoiding anything unforeseen.

DL2 also added a similar 'balanced' mode, while it isn't 1440p, its a little bit lower than that, it still runs at a pretty consistent 60 FPS there.

Tarnpanzer

It's weird that this game can't run at a solid 1440p60 on these consoles. That's the LEAST I would expect.

Well, at least its a free upgrade for a 7(!) year old game.

And please be reminded, that the original Dying Light version on Last Gen had some settings like draw distance even lower than "low" on PC. So the improvement here is not only fps and resolution but also higher settings compared to last gen.

Banned
I agree.
It should have just been unlocked. All of these consoles have VRR.
And the One X could most likely run this 1080p game at 45-60, anyway.

I think the dogshit CPU in that system makes this impossible honestly.

but that makes it even weirder that the Series S also then is stuck to 30... so that really either looks like a typo or maybe it's like how Capcom labeled their RE8 modes, where they labeled the RT mode on Series X as 45fps even tho it holds 60 kost of the time and 45 was the low points in some transparency or RT heavy scenes

intbal

I think the dogshit CPU in that system makes this impossible honestly.

but that makes it even weirder that the Series S also then is stuck to 30... so that really either looks like a typo or maybe it's like how Capcom labeled their RE8 modes, where they labeled the RT mode on Series X as 45fps even tho it holds 60 kost of the time and 45 was the low points in some transparency or RT heavy scenes

The One X has plenty of 60fps games. Including open world games like Witcher 3 and Elex.
At 1080p, it could easily run the original Dying Light at a minimum of 45fps.

Banned
The One X has plenty of 60fps games. Including open world games like Witcher 3 and Elex.
At 1080p, it could easily run the original Dying Light at a minimum of 45fps.

yeah, go and play Witcher 3 on One X and go into areas that aren't just a green field with some trees.

as soon as you enter the towns you drop to near 30fps. and even in less dense areas the framerate rarely holds 60fps

that mode was only really enjoyable with VRR on One X, thankfully tho it basically made the game instantly Series X enhanced lol and now that mode is actually a great way to play it

M.W.

They really need to implement an FOV slider already. I can't play these games at 60 FOV anymore.

intbal

Comparison

Original game (1536x1080, 30fps)
CaApj16.jpeg

Patched Performance Mode (1920x1080, 30fps)

kfDld4v.jpg

Quality Mode (2560x1440, 30fps)

6Rwxeb8.jpg

Same settings. Same time of day. New Game started at same mission. So it seems there are some slight tweaks to the visuals beyond the change in resolution. The contrast has been increased. Although now that I've posted these I see that I forgot to turn off Chromatic Aberration in the unpatched version. So that definitely impacts the appearance.

Reactions: Isa

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Comparison

Original game (1536x1080, 30fps)
CaApj16.jpeg

Patched Performance Mode (1920x1080, 30fps)

kfDld4v.jpg

Quality Mode (2560x1440, 30fps)

6Rwxeb8.jpg

Same settings. Same time of day. New Game started at same mission. So it seems there are some slight tweaks to the visuals beyond the change in resolution. The contrast has been increased. Although now that I've posted these I see that I forgot to turn off Chromatic Aberration in the unpatched version. So that definitely impacts the appearance.

You're on a Series S I'm assuming ? (with the 30 FPS note)

The resolution increase makes a huge difference in clarity here, especially in the QHD screen.

I like the changes in contrast, the original looks extremely washed out. Now it looks like a decent reshade on PC games.

Last edited:

intbal

You're on a Series S I'm assuming ? (with the 30 FPS note)

The resolution increase makes a huge difference in clarity here, especially in the QHD screen.

I like the changes in contrast, the original looks extremely washed out. Now it looks like a decent reshade on PC games.

Nope. One X.
That's the only way I could get the unpatched visuals. I had to reinstall it from disc.
But the One X and Series S versions are identical. Only the Series X gets the three next-gen modes. And One S is still unchanged from its launch settings.
I was surprised by the old version. I hadn't played it in years. Didn't recall it being so bleached in appearance.

AX8

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how bad Dying Light 2 was if they are still updating 1, my Steam news is filled with 4 or 5 new updates to 1 just this week.

So I am trying to play this on Xbox one S via disc. Key word is TRYING ! Omg what a god damn bug fest this is on the One. Non stop audio glitches and cutouts , with the occasional out right game freeze and have to reboot.

Has anyone had any luck with this on a last gen console ? I downloaded at least a 35gb patch any probably more . This game is like 7 months old and this is the best Techland can muster for updates ? I purposely waited a while cause i heard it was iffy at launch too and still this buggy mess. I want to keep playing because its decent when it runs but am going to shelve for now and wait for more updates or play on a series x when i get one hopefully soonish.

Artistic

I just recently bought this game for the Series X. Hope I don't have the same issues as stated above when I play it eventually.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
So I am trying to play this on Xbox one S via disc. Key word is TRYING ! Omg what a god damn bug fest this is on the One. Non stop audio glitches and cutouts , with the occasional out right game freeze and have to reboot.

Has anyone had any luck with this on a last gen console ? I downloaded at least a 35gb patch any probably more . This game is like 7 months old and this is the best Techland can muster for updates ? I purposely waited a while cause i heard it was iffy at launch too and still this buggy mess. I want to keep playing because its decent when it runs but am going to shelve for now and wait for more updates or play on a series x when i get one hopefully soonish.
Honestly, on the One S you're better off just playing less demanding games. It's an old arse machine now, I just use mine as a Blu ray player, even then it's a clunky POS.

Honestly, on the One S you're better off just playing less demanding games. It's an old arse machine now, I just use mine as a Blu ray player, even then it's a clunky POS.
Your probably right , however I just played the hell out of Elden Ring on the same machine with virtually no issues. I don't even really mind games being buggy at launch since I rarely buy stuff at launch since I am working on a large backlog of games. But 7 months after launch it should be playable on every system. Least it sounds like Techland is committed to the game but Jesus they need to move quicker.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Your probably right , however I just played the hell out of Elden Ring on the same machine with virtually no issues. I don't even really mind games being buggy at launch since I rarely buy stuff at launch since I am working on a large backlog of games. But 7 months after launch it should be playable on every system. Least it sounds like Techland is committed to the game but Jesus they need to move quicker.
It truly is a mixed bag machine, some are okay, some just utterly suck. I remember trying Just cause 3 on mine, it was horrific. Mad Max run like dump too

It's weird Elden runs okay though, which is even weirder knowing Froms problems with previous games..

You're going to see such a difference once you get a series X 👀

Justin9mm

So both PS5 and Xbox have the same update, I have both consoles, is this on sale on either at the moment? I played and finished the sequel but not this one.

Last edited:

intbal

The One S is how I played the game the first time. It was the Enhanced Edition disc with The Following included. It worked without any issues. I haven't tried it on my One S since the recent patches. I tried it out on my One X and I didn't notice any problems, but I didn't start the game over from scratch. I know they made alterations to the visuals, even on One S. They changed the contrast and color saturation, although I think the resolution remained the same.
I assume you've tried the hard reset fix, which is what most people seem to recommend whenever a game starts performing badly after a patch. Also, if I remember correctly, this was one of the game (at launch) which had problems if you played it while connected to the internet. That got fixed early, but perhaps the latest patch brought some of that back on the One S. Maybe try to disconnect and see if anything changes.
I can't do it right now, since I'd have to download the patch for my One S, which is currently in storage, but I can try to reinstall this in the next day or two and see if I get the same problems, or if the issue is only with your machine.

Time to ditch the Series S dude. You need a machine that can brute forcegames. Too many shitty developers like Techland today that don't care about optimizing for current gen, let alone last gen consoles. Techland isone of them. Even Dying Lighr 2 has crap optimization on series x/ps5. Tool them forever just to implement 1440p/60.

Whatever you do make sure to buy the Series X not the S. Future proof yourself from Euro jank devs.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Time to ditch the Series S dude. You need a machine that can brute forcegames. Too many shitty developers like Techland today that don't care about optimizing for current gen, let alone last gen consoles. Techland isone of them. Even Dying Lighr 2 has crap optimization on series x/ps5. Tool them forever just to implement 1440p/60.

Whatever you do make sure to buy the Series X not the S. Future proof yourself from Euro jank devs.
Those issues have nothing to do with the Series S. Consoles shouldn't need to brute force anything because of bad optimization.

Justin9mm

Those issues have nothing to do with the Series S. Consoles shouldn't need to brute force anything because of bad optimization.
Shouldn't have to but need to.. The industry is rife with devs that can't properly optimise. Some are just not as talented.

Top Bottom