• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynamic Latency Input + Bluetooth Low Energy for Xbox One / Elite Series S available for Insiders

elliot5

Microsoft’s new Xbox controller firmware lets you quickly switch between paired devices - The Verge

Microsoft is starting to test a new firmware update for existing Xbox One, Xbox Elite 2, and Xbox Adaptive Controllers today that will bring some important improvements to existing hardware. The biggest addition is the ability to quickly switch between paired devices on an Xbox controller, and Microsoft is also adding Dynamic Latency Input (DLI) to improve input latency on older controllers.

This new firmware update includes Bluetooth Low Energy support for compatible controllers. Most of Microsoft’s existing Xbox One controllers include Bluetooth support for use on smartphones or PCs, but the controllers connect to Xbox consoles through the Xbox Wireless protocol. This new firmware will now make it easier to switch between the two, allowing the controllers to remember your Bluetooth phone and an Xbox console and quickly switch between connected devices by double tapping the pair button.

Microsoft’s other main addition is Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), which reduces the input latency on controllers connected to Xbox Series X / S consoles to make gameplay more responsive. The addition of DLI means any older Xbox One controller will have reduced latency with an Xbox Series S or X console, just like the latest controllers that ship with these consoles.

Both are new features that the latest Xbox Series X / S controllers already support, but it’s good to see Microsoft extend this to older hardware. “We believe it’s important to maintain backward compatibility with Xbox accessories people already have in their collection and to ensure we deliver the best gaming experience no matter how you choose to play,” says Daniel Ruiz, a product marketing manager for Xbox accessories.

Microsoft is starting to test this new controller firmware with Alpha Skip-Ahead and Alpha Xbox Insiders today, and it should arrive for all Xbox owners in the coming months.

Xbox Controller Firmware Update Rolling Out to Insiders Starting Today - Xbox Wire

tl;dr: lower input latency and ability to pair with bluetooth device + xbox wireless device (double tap sync button to switch, just like Series controllers)

Oh and for the adaptive controller too

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I thought I read it already did the wireless + BT connection with double tap to switch, I thought that was a really cool feature. Or was that just the Series controllers that had that and now this is it coming to One controllers?

Banned
uhm, double tapping the pair button already switches between Bluetooth (for example your phone or PC) to Wifi (your xbox)

that has been a feature for ages already why is this mentioned as a new thing here?

reksveks

uhm, double tapping the pair button already switches between Bluetooth (for example your phone or PC) to Wifi (your xbox)

that has been a feature for ages already why is this mentioned as a new thing here?
It was a feature for the new controllers but now also the old ones

elliot5

I thought I read it already did the wireless + BT connection with double tap to switch, I thought that was a really cool feature. Or was that just the Series controllers that had that and now this is it coming to One controllers?
the new Series X|S controllers did. Not the Xbox One or Elite 2 or Adaptive controller. Now those will be updated to have feature parity.

jaysius

Banned
Ummm what about Elite VERSION ONE are those chopped liver now?

This is 100% in support of that Halo Elite that costs almost as much as a series S.

Tripolygon

Banned
Cables are the superior choice anyway
You would think so but the DS4 and DS bluetooth has lower latency than wired. Lol

rum4H5-JbHVIM3ZNnW-lYAT32_Sohu66QrbxzHZyrGg.png

W0zBTTr.png

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Banned
You would think so but the DS4 and DS bluetooth has lower latency than wired. Lol

rum4H5-JbHVIM3ZNnW-lYAT32_Sohu66QrbxzHZyrGg.png

W0zBTTr.png
Good luck with interference and battery life though.
Anything around or below 10ms is overkill for 99.9% of people, except maybe for those that play fighting games or whatever (but those use WIRED fighting sticks anyway)

Wired best choice, hands down.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Good luck with interference and battery life though.
Anything around or below 10ms is overkill for 99.9% of people, except maybe for those that play fighting games or whatever (but those use WIRED fighting sticks anyway)

Wired best choice, hands down.
nah wireless + wired (when charging) hands down.
never had any interferrence, unless you game on the subway lol

Top Bottom