• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 8 + XL (PS3) / CE (PSV/PS4) |OT| Don't Pursue Lu Bu (In Next Gen)

Hello guys ,

Just won A free Steam code for Dynasty warrior 8 XL ( steam ) , the tecmo koei europe survey gift.

Anyway , my only experience is frankly warrior orochi 3 , i liked the game, so any tips for this one ? Anything i should be warry of? anything i should know ?

I understand that there might be some mecanics changes, can i dive into this without worries ?

its a pretty good point to join into the series. mechanics are pretty much similar in all games outside a few technical choices. same concept of charged and regular moves with variety in how to achieve the desired combo.

in fact any dw game is a good intro outside of dw6

i can tell you that its mindless fun.

i can tell you its an informative and entertaining way to learn about ancient chinese history.

i can tell you its the natural evolution of the beat-em-ups of the snes/genesis days in a 3d environment.

but honestly, it's simple and not all that complicated. lots of people like it for these and other reasons, and all i can say that the gameplay allows for a quick pick up and you can gather most of the concepts from 3-5 stages completed. whether you like it or not will be up to you.

i can tell you i've been playing since dw3 on ps2, here i am on the 8th iteration on pc and i will still get the 9th, 10th, and so forth.

Excko

I bought this game yesterday, and played for about an hour.

Such fun! It's been a while since I played such a fun game. I suck at it for now, but it's fun, good, endless fun. Kill them until there's no more, then kill some more!

So i'm assuming everyone is having the same issues with DLC for Xtreme legends. No free Lu Lingqi or Xiao Qiao costumes, and from what I can tell, the Mandrain Gown set not being present also. Do we know if they will be added/ fixed in the future for PS3?

It's here!!!
Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (PS4, PS Vita) and Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (PS3) Patch AppVer. 1.01 is available now! Here are the details:
BtI-XZ5CYAEqNW1.jpg:large

did that fix the vita framerate issues or whatever it was?

Xenoflare

Boy I feel extremely stupid right now, why didn't I find this thread earlier?

Basically, I bought XL on PS3 thinking it was CE, and now I'm left with a fraction of a game, and I can't return it due to the fact that I got it in gamestop, I was trying to get it since summer but there was no copies left so it was an impulse buy. I never thought this would've happened since I never bought any DW games other than 7 and Orochi.

Do you guys think that it would be worth it for me to buy the original 8 to get the full experience? Or should I just stop putting money in consider this a lesson on research before purchase?

The insult to the injury is that the cashier tried to push the edge card on me, saying that it would allow opened full value credits refunds, and I refused.

Sora_N

Boy I feel extremely stupid right now, why didn't I find this thread earlier?

Basically, I bought XL on PS3 thinking it was CE, and now I'm left with a fraction of a game, and I can't return it due to the fact that I got it in gamestop, I was trying to get it since summer but there was no copies left so it was an impulse buy. I never thought this would've happened since I never bought any DW games other than 7 and Orochi.

Do you guys think that it would be worth it for me to buy the original 8 to get the full experience? Or should I just stop putting money in consider this a lesson on research before purchase?

The insult to the injury is that the cashier tried to push the edge card on me, saying that it would allow opened full value credits refunds, and I refused.

Is this your first Musou and/or Dynasty Warriors game? (Specifically in the Three Kingdoms setting)

I think there's enough story from the XL stages to get a feel for some of the characters, and you'd be missing out on the bigger story though.

I have DW8 Vanilla on PS3, DW8XL Complete on Vita.

I honestly preferred the DW7 story more so I'd recommend that if you wanted to experience the story.

There's no real problem if you don't care about the story, because you can play all the other modes instead. The story modes are pretty long though.

Basically what you got isn't really a fraction of the game, it's an expansion of the original DW8's story mode. "Various characters not playable or have a minor role within Story Mode star in an all new storyline of hypothetical scenarios, where they are 8 stages long and focus on additional battles or alternate versions of existing ones. There is also the option to unlock 'Other' scenarios after completing other objectives for the main 4 kingdoms. "

You can't play as all the characters in the story mode in XL only.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8:_Xtreme_Legends

Xenoflare

Is this your first Musou and/or Dynasty Warriors game? (Specifically in the Three Kingdoms setting)

I think there's enough story from the XL stages to get a feel for some of the characters, and you'd be missing out on the bigger story though.

I have DW8 Vanilla on PS3, DW8XL Complete on Vita.

I honestly preferred the DW7 story more so I'd recommend that if you wanted to experience the story.

There's no real problem if you don't care about the story, because you can play all the other modes instead. The story modes are pretty long though.

Basically what you got isn't really a fraction of the game, it's an expansion of the original DW8's story mode. "Various characters not playable or have a minor role within Story Mode star in an all new storyline of hypothetical scenarios, where they are 8 stages long and focus on additional battles or alternate versions of existing ones. There is also the option to unlock 'Other' scenarios after completing other objectives for the main 4 kingdoms. "

You can't play as all the characters in the story mode in XL only.

http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Dynasty_Warriors_8:_Xtreme_Legends

Yeah, I got 7 in a xbox sale I think but I barely touched it since I retired my Xbox. My only actual experience is with Orochi on PSP and now on Vita which I enjoy immensely.

I wanted to get 8 for a while since I dig the character designs and I want finally to feel what's it like to play DW on a console in which the games were meant to be. In the end I made the mistake of buying the expansion pack instead of the actual game, in hindsight, that complete edition label absent on the PS3 box is a dead giveaway.

I don't know, the whole point of me getting this on disc is because I do not want to download a DW game that is almost 20GB, I do have the space but I would really rather reserve it for future PS+ titles. I chose the PS3 in the end because of memory card spaces, since the Japanese voice DLC alone is 1.3GB and the game is over 3GB if I go digital and performance issues people experienced in the Vita port. I would rather have a Vita version right now if knowing this is what actually happening.

It's true that I really don't mind the story mode since the entire cast is just way to stylized and glamorized to be taken seriously and also unlike Orochi you are stuck with fixed characters in the story mode, but I cannot help but to feel sour at the fact that I'm stuck with something that I didn't have in mind. I can't really blame TK since this apparently is a thing since DW3XL and this thread states that with the chart.

I am familiar with the 3 kingdoms setting though since I've read the books and I absolutely loved Sangokuchi 10, that was actually my first Koei game, I still remember the opening Koei logo tone by heart.

Oh, are you saying that I can still access the new story scenes in XL that's meant for the original 4 factions? At least Ambition mode looks like a good timesink......

So basically this is like Episodes from Liberty City for GTA IV......

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can you turn off the FOV on the PS4 version? Not a fan of the blurred backgrounds.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Can you turn off the FOV on the PS4 version? Not a fan of the blurred backgrounds.

Yeah, they patched that a couple months back. There should be a setting somewhere in the options. You can turn it down or turn it off. Also, I think the term you're looking for is DoF, or Depth of Field. FoV is something different entirely.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Yeah, they patched that a couple months back. There should be a setting somewhere in the options. You can turn it down or turn it off. Also, I think the term you're looking for is DoF, or Depth of Field. FoV is something different entirely.

Whoops, yeah that's what I meant. Thanks. I own the PC version and you can turn it off, was thinking of getting the PS4 version as well.

Xenoflare

The download size for DW8 is 18GB -_-

I really hoped that Koei would offer a sort of unlock dlc instead since I suspect that the original DW8 content is on the XL PS3 disc as well, but it's my fault for not knowing this before hand.

Will at least the disc version for this game (PS3XL) is kinda rare :/ but not rare enough.

Edit: Fuck it, I have enough money to cave in for the orginal DW8, but if I must play the vanilla if I want the vanilla trophies right? I won't be losing anything other than trophies if I want to start fresh with XL?

Uthred

Hmm weird, was playing the PC version earlier today but now Steam is downloading a 1.9GB update, Steam just being its usual wonky self or possible a new patch?

BadAss2961

How come I hadn't heard about how bad the frame rate is on PS4? It seems to run around 30fps most of the time, with dips from that. Only get 60 in certain areas with no enemies on screen.

Shame... The game looks pretty good when it hits 60.

Top Bottom