• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 Character Reveals (Ongoing)

Yeah they really made her even more attractive in this one. But according to historical records she really was not a looker but Zhuge Liang was attracted to her intellect not her looks. However there are other accounts that her so called ugliness was exaggerated by Yue Ying's father.

Yeah, there's various stories, but some of those state that the father said she was ugly so that a suitor would be interested in her intelligence and not just her looks.

There's a bit of footage from TGS on the previous page. Check near the bottom and work up.

Yeah I mean some direct feed, 1080p stuff. No offscreen. I know the game is still highly in development and needs/will be improved but its got a lot of jank at the moment from what they have shown. But the character renders are giving me hope it will come together when this drops.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Preview of upcoming scans/character reveals. Lu Meng and Xu Shu here.

DMVAsjYUIAAJ5fd.jpg:large

Meng has the pike as usual, and Shu apparently shares his weapon type with Cao Cao. Update should also include Cao Ren (flail...) and Jia Xu (chain & sickle).

There's also a guy who claims that Wei Yan will be sharing a weapon type with Cheng Pu/Jiang Wei (not surprising), and that Zhong Hui will be getting the fan blade (plausible).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
They better not fuck with Wei Yan

Always found it funny that the non overseas polls have him rated hella low when he plays cool as fuck

Creaking

Hopefully he'll have enough unique animations to set him apart. Loved his spinny charge attack string in the old games. I'm mostly curious to see what he'll look like. Haven't been too enthused by his recent outfits, so I'm hoping for something that strikes closer to DW3 or 4.

Cao Ren's design is in line with his DW5 look, a big improvement over his dwarf in plate armor design from recent games. Looks a lot like Xiahou Yuan, though.

The article's pretty light on game details. It seems like they're putting more effort into the battlefield management aspects again: units will be proactively hunting after enemy units and fortresses, and you're encouraged to maintain a strong vanguard pushing towards the enemy commander while also keeping your weaker regions safe. Hopefully this will mean no more times where all your allies are just standing around on the map, waiting for you to move past a trigger and they all spring back to life.

Creaking

Bigger scans. I'll update the first page once the website updates, and post any other images of interest here.

DMbfHPVUMAA34TD.jpg

DMbfHQxVoAEwOpI.jpg

DMbfHRRV4AA_MPo.jpg

DMbfHQ5U8AAO7Fe.jpg

Creaking

Yeah, the top three are pretty safe and in line with their previous few appearances. Cao Ren I'm pleased to see no longer looks like megaman or a chunky action figure, but I don't know if I like his face, and his outfit looks kind of like a Xiahou Yuan hand-me-down. I also wish they had gone back to his old eye makeup/tattoos, rather than sticking with the guyliner. I do like how upset he is with being given the flail again. I just hope the moveset doesn't suck as much as it did in 7.

Actually, I'm glad they toned down Lu Meng's robe a bit. Looked cumbersome in the last few installments.

I've always like Jia Xu, but it would've been nice to see them change up his headpiece or something.

Xu Shu still looks mopey and annoying.

Ah, a tiny bit disappointed with Lu Meng's outfit, though not because it's less than good. It's just with all the gorgeous new cloth textures, I was hoping maybe he'd look a little more like DW3 with much less cloth and mostly a sort of studded leather armor outfit. There's quite the emphasis on cloth in general so far with these reveals so was excited to see some more raw armor textures. That said, as I prefaced, still looks plenty good.

Yeah that last image of him is pretty great. I've always been very on-the-border with him, loved parts of his class design (beard, heavy armor, helmet, etc) but somehow something just felt a bit off and bothered me (those darn flared pants; the weird spiked shield, then those huge blocky shoulder pads). For me he was perpetually 'so close yet so far' haha. This a bit more toned down version and the new weapon look really good though.

Playing fire emblem warriors just reinforced my growing disdain for Japanese voices and why I dumped the last 2 SW/DW games I've bought. I hate hate having to look away from the action to get story beats and character interactions.

I have to assume there is no chance of this game getting a VO localization as well right? Shame, I like what I'm seeing.

Creaking

I wish they had more neutral stances/poses. Everyone (except Lu Meng) starts to look really bizarre in that Wu posse screenshot when you notice they're all doing the same arms-held-out-at-sides pose.

I have to assume there is no chance of this game getting a VO localization as well right? Shame, I like what I'm seeing.

I don't see why it wouldn't at least get an English localization. All of the other mainline games have had them, and DW9 is rumored to be getting a simultaneous worldwide release, which tells me they're trying to attract western audiences a bit more.

4Tran

Lu Meng and Cao Ren look great. Cao Ren especially looks a lot better now - even back in 4 and 5 he looked like a dwarf, but he's actually normal for once. Too bad he doesn't have that shield thing; I always loved using that thing.

Playing fire emblem warriors just reinforced my growing disdain for Japanese voices and why I dumped the last 2 SW/DW games I've bought. I hate hate having to look away from the action to get story beats and character interactions.

I certainly hope that there will an English-language option for this game. Dynasty Warriors is the only Japanese game series where I'll play in English when given the choice. The problem is that the Japanese pronunciations of the Chinese names feels really off while the English localizations have played quite a bit of attention in this area. The only character where I like the Japanese pronunciation is Wang Yuanji because "Ogenki" will never stop being amusing. This is in stark contrast to the Samurai Warriors games where the lack of English doesn't bother me at all.

I don't see why it wouldn't be in english? All the mainline DW games have always had english voice acting.

Also I dig that they're still keeping Cao Rens eye liner. Always loved that on him.

Top Bottom