• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008: The Thread (central information aggregate, see OP)

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
FightyF said:
THANK YOU! The other one kept cutting off during the Spore presentation...

Wait...the link you posted is only 7 minutes long

Wait: The Sequel, it is broken into chunks I see that now.
Look at the right. The rest is all there

-good, you saw them

yurinka

About conferences, for me the best was EA. Peter Moore was funny, Spore was great and Carmack a big surprise.

Microsoft had the megaton (they did great buying Sony's big exclusive), but didn't showed anything new, besides some Mii, Eyetoy and Singstar cheap and casual ripoffs. Gears2 looked really good, I didn't like other games specially. Any good new game for gamers (besides the stolen exclusive).

From Sony I loved GOW3, Super Stardust Portable and new $15 Ratchet. Liked the movie/series service (finally here, as I remember it was in Japan for PSP since a lot of time ago). I don't like the other new games specially. Some of already announced (Resistance 2, LBP) ones looked really good.

Nintendo's conference was embarassing. The worst E3 conference I ever saw. All casual or crappy / mediocre games. Give me F-Zero and a Zelda Wii (TP was GC, and Link's crossbow was a minigame). Wii will look like a Megazord (like the MegaDrive with mega cd and 32x), and the console+all the required accesories will be more expensive than a PS3: nintendo's router, nunchaku, microfone, wiimote add-on... Please don't make the GTADS a 2D game like the PSX versions or a minigame compilation. They forgotted the gamers. After 20+ years as a gamer, I think DS is going to be my last Nintendo console since I'm not a casual. In Wii I'm only looking forward to Madworld, the other few games I like are already in the market.

Teasel

i really don't understand people... would nintendo conference be better if they showed trailer of stuff we already knew (like wario or tales) ? at the e3 they show the big stuff,the game they are expecting to sell bigs so i don't see what's so strange about nintendo showing his usual stuff... note that this doesn't mean i'm defending wii music,malstrom said that the reason people don't get the casual market is because they actualy make a game for retard and well i'm starting to wonder if nintendo isn't crossing that line with a game that just makes sound when you move the wiimote... i really wished they would have ended the conference with wii sports 2 because that looked more interessing
while i do agree that microsoft conference was the best one (they showed the good games,the retarded games and to top it all they dropped the bomb) sony one was just weak... they basicaly showed nothing,it was a conference about games where they talked for a good 30 minutes about movies! yet people will keep saying it was better because THEY DIDN'T SURRENDER TO THE CASUAL RETARDATION!

Won

To sum up my feelings for the conferences.

MS - Good. A good mix of gameplay presentation, casual stuff, new features and sales age. Everything you want from a E3 conference.

Nintendo - Ok. Actual probably the most new announcments of all 3. 2 new peripheral, several new games. Presentation of the stuff was ok. (How good the games look is a different story) They have to show us how it works after all. But no real reel for other games that are coming out for Wii, WiiWare, NDS was just bad.
They still stick to the 1 hour long conference, which is just too short for what Nintendo want and need to show.

Sony - Meh. The complete opposite of Nintendo here. One reel after another, only interrupted by trailers. But imo they topped everything bad MS and N pulled of with a several minute long presentation of how you navigate through the new video shop.....just bullshit.

stalker

Is it here where we rank the conferences?

Nintendo (Nintendo fan here, though I have not bought the Wii yet):
- Good presentation for what they want to achieve, well organized and adequately short. Abismal in terms of content.
- Animal Crossing looks very deceiving. I expected some nice changes to the visual presentation and overall a new game. I got the DS game with add-ons. From what was shown, it looks more similar to the DS game than the DS game was compared to the GC game.
- Wii Sports 2 was the only surprise. I guess it will be ok, though it will not sell me a Wii as the first one didn't (and I am not a waggle hater, I actually enjoyed Wii Sports when I played it).
- I expected Wii Music to interest me more than Sports or Fit, but after the show, I don't know.
- Disturbing selection of third-party games. I guess it makes sense to them, but the Nintendo nerd in me would prefer that they just showed nothing.
- DS non existent except for the Guitar Hero advertisement and GTA. They could have made a nice selection of good games both third and first party to show in a trailer, but for some reason they din't. Unlike the Wii case, where I think their approach is fully intentional, I think here they were just a bit incompetent.
- I kept my expectations very low, but not a single new Wii game announcement apart from Music, Sports 2 and AC was still disappointing.

Microsoft:
- Quite good overall. Considering I am not interested in most of the games they showed on the first "hardcore" segment, it was still well presented and entertaining. Gears 2 looks very good.
- The casual segment was too long and it obviously showed that hey are years behind Nintendo and Sony in this department.
- Some nice minor announcements here and there: Geo Wars, Portal, etc.
- The interface changes, I do not know. They do not seem to suit well the xbox audience. Anyway, they still showed that they are much better at the online stuff than Sony. Living in Europe and almost never watching TV or movies at home, I do not care for the movie content news.
- Rare games looked ok, but they were no news. I think they could have kept Banjo trailers secret until now.
- Teh megaton will be remembered. Releavant or not for the console wars, it was the last and only remisniscence of what E3 used to be a few years ago. Wada needs a translator.
- They win easily.

Sony:
- Coming from the abismal Nintendo conference, I expected to watch this in envy. It was terrible. Worst conference of the three in terms of presentation. I think it shows an image of Sony being lost and not knowing what to do with their three platforms. Changing continously from PSP to PS2 to PS3 and all that talk about potential. It was like an extended apology "the good games will come, someday".
- Focus lost: no show for interesting games or features that are coming (Killzone 2, Home, Motorstorm, LBP ...), but again CGIs for game that will come, someday.
- Two Resistance games? even Tretton looked confused saying something like "you already saw this game before, but this is for PSP". By the way, Resistance 2 looked terrible.
- The DC MMO presentation was boring and long and badly executed.
- PSN wins in this conference. Ratchet looks really good, and together with some of the minor games like Fat Princess was the highlight of the whole Sony show.
- There were other thing that I do not even remember (Infamous?), such a confusing conference.

laserbeam

Banned
In the grand scheme of things I would say everyone lost. Gaming is being pushed aside slowly so Movie distribution,TV etc and any other microtransaction system they can think of is the main focus.

The casualization of Consoles into media hubs etc will simply lead to a time where its more profitable to do everything but make games.

rakka

1. MS
2. Sony
3. Nintendo
4. Capcom

ffxiii was the only real megaton. other than that even microsoft's conference sucked.

v-for-vendettacopy.png

Jiggy

Microsoft

Didn't watch, so I can't comment significantly. If all the things I read about the length of time they spent on casual games are true, then I'm sad. :( However, in their favor, Sony losing Final Fantasy XIII exclusivity is the biggest megaton to come out of E3 so far and probably will remain so.

Nintendo

Conceptually, Wii Music was more or less the only game with "Wii" in its title that I was looking forward to. But as it pans out in actuality--well, I can't say that I know how it'll play, but I can say that it looks like it'll play in some kind of highly inaccurate way that would create more of a disconnect rather than less. We'll see, but my hopes were more or less destroyed once I saw it in action. I like rhythm games well enough, but I have my limits.

Other matters... Nintendo really needs to, you know, incorporate its games (and those of third-parties releasing titles on their systems) into its conferences. As it happened last year with Advance Wars: Days of Ruin and I think Super Paper Mario, I think they leave out too many titles that they could have at least name-dropped. Rhythm Heaven being localized? Sweet. Kirby Super Star Ultra and Wario Land having their release dates bumped seven days--earlier? Fantastic. Game Center CX being localized? Exceptionally surprising and cool.

But none of those games showed! They did mention Pokemon Ranger 2, which is decent and all, and a handful of third-party Wii games that may or may not deserve promotion, but aside from that, it just wasn't there and all I'm left wondering is why so many excellent titles weren't at the conference. Also not even the briefest of callouts for games we already knew about, like Dragon Quest IV or Chrono Trigger DS. Bizarre stuff.

No mention of Virtual Console is "understandable" since NOA's been practically murdering the poor service, which had a stupendous run from November 2006 to around January or February 2008 only to drop off immensely afterward. I know I wouldn't want call attention to a flub of those proportions. Whatever the case, though, they're not getting my hopes up for its future. :/

No mention of WiiWare is also resoundingly baffling, seeing as that service was launched only two months ago. Are they trying to avoid revealing things without firm release dates? I don't know. I guess that would be one reason to not bring up Tales of Symphonia: DotNW, as one non-downloadable example which I was really hoping on a release date for, although that doesn't explain why they would then demo Wii Music.

Just a confusing conference that seemed contrarian to their stated message of appealing to casuals and core gamers simultaneously. They only aimed for one crowd.

Sony

Sony's method of presenting numbers and release lists via LittleBigPlanet was wonderful and I support it fully. That said, I'll probably never buy a PS3, but hey. They at least made that part pretty entertaining while simultaneously promoting a game that I want to see succeed.

Aside from LBP, which wasn't really demonstrated in a gameplay capacity (and that's okay since it had been seen before), the PSN games mostly made me shrug--which is like Nintendo's conference, but for entirely different reasons. Or, no, maybe not for different reasons. In both cases, we're talking about games doing something technologically new in a way that I don't care about. But whatever: my hangups with 3D gameplay are fairly well-documented and I don't really want to rehash them in here.

Happier note. I haven't been following PSN to a great extent, so I was fairly pleasantly surprised to see what was on tap. Along with XBLA and WiiWare/Virtual Console, I'm really loving just how far downloadable games have been taken even though this is the first generation where non-PC hardware has addressed them in any significant capacity.

Finally, a note about the coordination. Nintendo at least somewhat managed to mask their lack of appeal to me by continually bringing new speakers on stage. Even if it was Cammie Dunaway, who wasn't good with her presentation at all, it did bring some needed variety. But I really think Sony wounded itself by having Jack Tretton more or less handle the entire thing, which only helped further prove how little I cared--I was really able to tune him out by the end of it all. And then there's the fact that they essentially used Resistance as a trump card three times: PS3 gameplay, PS3 trailer, PSP trailer. Uh... okay then, thanks? Seemed like a very disorganized conference to me overall.

Capcom

I didn't watch this, but I heard the horror stories and I know that Mega Man 9 wasn't brought up. I'm not sure whether the most grievous offense of E3 in relation to MM9 is that Nintendo didn't mention it (Mega Man being most prominent on Nintendo systems, particularly classic Mega Man), that Sony didn't mention it (unlike Nintendo, they did tossed dozens of gameplay reels at us, but MM9 wasn't one of them unless I missed something), or that Capcom itself didn't mention its own freaking game. :( So much for 2D revival.

Overall

I said it in IRC, but... You know, I hadn't watched many E3 conferences before today, but I can really see why people are worried about non-games taking over. Whether it's Netflix or Nintendo's casual appeal or videos on PSN, the gaming industry is losing focus and trying to be everything at once. Sometimes the term "non-game" is indiscriminately flung about at minigame collections or casual games--both of which I would say are definitely games, regardless of quality--but this is a literal context now. I don't care how many TV shows and movies I can watch or how I can play (seemingly) aimless music. I may persistently shower disdain on 3D gameplay, implicitly or explicitly, but I'll at least acknowledge it as gaming. Any and all extra expenses added to a console for reasons not related to gaming are not justified, as far as I'm concerned, and I'm disappointed that seems to be the direction of this industry.

The fans

Way, way more entertaining and interesting than the conferences themselves. Forum meltdowns, GAF crashes, IRC meltdowns, caps lock spamming, kicks, bans, forum trolling, IRC trolling... It's all good. Truly the ones who "won" E3" are the neutral observers who could sit back and watch this insanity play out with relative indifference.

eznark said:
so, what's going on today? Looks like Take Two is the biggest third party with an event?

Konami's event will be at 5:30PM Eastern, streaming live at G4TV.com.

I'm looking forward to this - I want to see lots of Rock Revolution, and maybe get a release date. It's currently the Fall music game that I'm looking forward to most, so hopefully they show it off nicely.

I also want to see some Castlevania: Judgment. As it stands, I'm excited about what I've heard...so I'd like to see it in motion.

GONZO

So just for shits and giggles. How funny would it be if konami announces MGS for the 360? I mean, not as funny as final fantasy, but still. gaf would be so much fun to read. As for so far I'd have to give it to MS over the other two. Fallout 3 looks amazing and is day one purchase for me. The ony thing worrying me is that they're screwing around with Bungie. I hope to god they don't alienate one of my fav dev.

eznark

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
Konami's event will be at 5:30PM Eastern, streaming live at G4TV.com.

I'm looking forward to this - I want to see lots of Rock Revolution, and maybe get a release date. It's currently the Fall music game that I'm looking forward to most, so hopefully they show it off nicely.

I also want to see some Castlevania: Judgment. As it stands, I'm excited about what I've heard...so I'd like to see it in motion.

I was following some of the impressions of Guitar Hero: World Tour and wow, everyone seemed REALLY impressed. I held out for competition last year so I am in the market for a whole fake plastic band set, so I'm pumped to see Rock Revolution as well...but it's going to have to be pretty damn amazing considering the specs that have come out so far.

eznark said:
I was following some of the impressions of Guitar Hero: World Tour and wow, everyone seemed REALLY impressed. I held out for competition last year so I am in the market for a whole fake plastic band set, so I'm pumped to see Rock Revolution as well...but it's going to have to be pretty damn amazing considering the specs that have come out so far.

Yeah, Guitar Hero sounds pretty great this year. I'm giving Konami the benefit of the doubt because I like how the kit looks and I like their apparent focus on drums in this game, but if it at all looks unimpressive, GH will be my pick. It looks fantastic.

eznark

Banned
Toy Soldier said:
Yeah, Guitar Hero sounds pretty great this year. I'm giving Konami the benefit of the doubt because I like how the kit looks and I like their apparent focus on drums in this game, but if it at all looks unimpressive, GH will be my pick. It looks fantastic.

i was following some twitter feeds last night and everyone seemed to be really digging the GH event, got me pretty pumped. It's obviously hard to convey a lot of information in that manner, but the depth of the game seems incredible.

Clipjoint

By virtue of FFXIII being the only true megaton, Microsoft wins. If you take that out of the equation, it goes Sony>Microsoft>>>>>>Nintendo.

karasu

GONZO said:
So just for shits and giggles. How funny would it be if konami announces MGS for the 360?

It would be as underwhelming as announcements of ports always are. Bioshock port, MGS2 ports, etc. 'lol lol everybody wins! Take that sucker!' Big f'n deal.

Stike

tanod said:
Thanks but what is RAWR? j/k

Zip or direct, plz
Just get yourself WinRar (Windows) or RAR Expander (Mac) and you will be good.
Direct download would kill my site, you can imagine.

Dont forget - this is NeoGAF, dude... 1 GB worth of files with xxxx Leechers... no way :eek:P

rar, zip, anything... you cant please them all.

I've been hoping we'd hear about an Orcs & Elves 2 port for DS using the 3D engine, but unless I've missed something, there hasn't been a peep about that. :(

Goddamn, E3 was depressing as fuck this year. Whenever I thought it couldn't get worse, it somehow managed to. The only redeeming quality of it was Pikmin 3, and even then it was just a small blurb. It was like watching shit taking a shit, or in Nintendo's case, shit taking a shit and shitting out diamonds (covered in shit). That's not an analogy either, I mean Nintendo shat out diamonds and I'm sure their bank account just erupted.

Please save my interest in this hobby, Space World.

Aaron Strife said:
Goddamn, E3 was depressing as fuck this year. Whenever I thought it couldn't get worse, it somehow managed to. The only redeeming quality of it was Pikmin 3, and even then it was just a small blurb. It was like watching shit taking a shit, or in Nintendo's case, shit taking a shit and shitting out diamonds (covered in shit). That's not an analogy either, I mean Nintendo shat out diamonds and I'm sure their bank account just erupted.

Please save my interest in this hobby, Space World.

Isn't there two days left?

I personally just want a few more demo's/video's. Even just one demo of something good would make this more worthwhile for me.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stike said:
Just get yourself WinRar (Windows) or RAR Expander (Mac) and you will be good.
Direct download would kill my site, you can imagine.

Dont forget - this is NeoGAF, dude... 1 GB worth of files with xxxx Leechers... no way :eek:P

rar, zip, anything... you cant please them all.

GAF Bit torrent?

Schrade

Stike said:
I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but can you put it up somewhere else like Sendspace or MegaUpload or even make a Torrent? Hell I'll seed the Torrent if you have direct links for me. Rapidshare sucks speedwise.

Edit: Here's the link for the 1280x720 1.27GB PSN Part 1 of the Sony presentation. Enjoy, those who like direct links ;)

http://poseidon.dl.playstation.net/...yStation_E32008PressConferencePart1-HD720.mp4

Top Bottom