• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2008: The Thread (central information aggregate, see OP)

Jiggy

SapientWolf said:
1. MS
2. Sony
3. Nintendo
4. Goatse
Capcom
And Konami. :/ I didn't see Capcom's, but Konami's was utterly horrible: a great two minutes of Castlevania: OoE trailer, which was the one really cool thing, but they followed it up with about sixteen minutes of yawn-inducing Castlevania Judgment demoing one button at a time and then fifteen or so minutes of a Silent Hill that really made people silent. Then they brought out a freaking terrible band to--yeah--play live (as if people cared about content outside of a game context at E3) before going on to demo the same song in Rock Revolution and--yeah--failing at it. :| Literally failing. As in not completing the song because they missed too many notes. And that was the last thing to happen at Konami's conference: failing a song at its own game. Woooooo.

Jiggy37 said:
And Konami. :/ I didn't see Capcom's, but Konami's was utterly horrible: a great two minutes of Castlevania: OoE trailer, which was the one really cool thing, but they followed it up with about sixteen minutes of yawn-inducing Castlevania Judgment demoing one button at a time and then fifteen or so minutes of a Silent Hill that really made people silent. Then they brought out a freaking terrible band to--yeah--play live (as if people cared about content outside of a game context at E3) before going on to demo the same song in Rock Revolution and--yeah--failing at it. :| Literally failing. As in not completing the song because they missed too many notes. And that was the last thing to happen at Konami's conference: failing a song at its own game. Woooooo.

10x better than Capcom's. Capcom didn't show games. They showed a movie.

Durante

Here's a #gaf_e3 recap:

out295.png

Blue is the number of users, red are posts/minute.

The big 3 conferences are very easy to see, but both megatons and mehgatons/embarrassing moments are also visible. I'd mark them but that's boring :p

Jiggy

If only we had a visual representation of how many kicks and bans there were during each of the three conferences. Offhand I'd estimate that we had to dish out like four times as many bans during Nintendo's as the other two combined--even I had to waste six or seven people just by myself, and I was literally (literally literally!) roleplaying "nice OP"--but more solid figures would be nice. D:

On the bright side, though, watching meltdowns live rather than having to perpetually refresh GAF almost salvaged E3.

Does anyone have the final scorecards for the conferences? I can only find the Wii and the 360:

Wii
Total no. of games shown: 7
Total no. of new games shown: 5
Total no. of exclusives shown: 7
Total no. of new exclusives shown: 5

Total no. of games shown: 21
Total no. of new games shown: 10 (6 arcade)
Total no. of exclusives shown: 12 (5 arcade)
Total no. of new exclusives shown: 8 (5 arcade)

Here's my personal ranking:

1, Microsoft: They owned this E3 left right and centre. Absolutely fantastic showing all around, complete with the biggest megaton since GTA 4 on 360!

2, Nintendo: Saved only by the awesome demonstration of Motionplus/Wii Sports Resort and Wii Speak (Much nicer than a stupid headset :D) Other than that, it was painful.

3, Sony: Worse than 2006, honestly. I actually almost fell asleep watching it and when we finally get to see something interesting at the end with GOW3 it ends up being a useless 15 second FMV clip :( PATHETIC!

Truespeed

Nuclear Muffin said:

1, Microsoft: They owned this E3 left right and centre. Absolutely fantastic showing all around, complete with the biggest megaton since GTA 4 on 360!

2, Nintendo: Saved only by the awesome demonstration of Motionplus/Wii Sports Resort and Wii Speak (Much nicer than a stupid headset :D) Other than that, it was painful.

3, Sony: Worse than 2006, honestly. I actually almost fell asleep watching it and when we finally get to see something interesting at the end with GOW3 it ends up being a useless 15 second FMV clip :( PATHETIC!

Your brain needs to be douched.

El-Suave

This E3 was light on new games but for people who couldn't attend the coverage was better than ever. We got every press conference, even the more minor ones - and most bigger game E3 demos played and commented for us by the developer, all delivered in video form into our homes.

Nuclear Muffin said:

You should be shot in the head.

Schrade

Kafel said:
Because he's mainly right ?
No, mainly because he's wrong.

Sony had a great conference. Microsoft is equal to or better (but only because of the big megaton at the end) and Nintendo's was just fucking embarrassing for all.

Quazar

Schrade said:
No, mainly because he's wrong.

Sony had a great conference. Microsoft is equal to or better (but only because of the big megaton at the end) and Nintendo's was just fucking embarrassing for all.

Whatever place people place Sony and Nintendo in doesn't matter. No one will remember shit from them a year later. MS wins, bow down bitches.

Quazar said:
Whatever place people place Sony and Nintendo in doesn't matter. No one will remember shit from them a year later. MS wins, bow down bitches.
First Infamous footage, introduction of MAG and GoW3, the LBP presentation, video store, yeah... no one will remember.

Metalmurphy said:
First Infamous footage, introduction of MAG and GoW3, the LBP presentation, video store, yeah... no one will remember.
Only three things will stick in people's mind from this year long term.

1: The FFXIII announce
2: The horrible, horrible you're in the movies demo
3: The drummer for Wii Music.

Nothing else was remotely memorable from the conferences.

Quazar

Metalmurphy said:

Exactly. LBP isn't new, the presentation was great for such boring topics no one cares about in the first place.(But still boring topics) Infamous is cool and all but really nothing shocking that'll steal a show.(Not to mention GTTV had first footage the night before) And MAG/GoW3 will be relevant next year when they actually show some shit. Maybe we'll be shocked than.

Video store? :lol

Metalmurphy said:

A game that we've already seen shots for with a video that shows nothing new, some nice new details on a game we have known about for ages (With no media at all) a crappy FMV clip with no details about the game at all, a novel presentation and a video store which will almost certainly never come out in Europe. Yeah, you're right, no one will remember it after all :lol

Oh and when I say saved, I mean from oblivion; since Wii Motion + is actually quite the megaton and Wii Speak is something that people have been clamering for ever since the Wii came out!

Nuclear Muffin said:
A game that we've already seen shots for with a video that shows nothing new, some nice new details on a game we have known about for ages (With no media at all) a crappy FMV clip with no details about the game at all, a novel presentation and a video store which will almost certainly never come out in Europe. Yeah, you're right, no one will remember it after all :lol
facepalm.gif

Xenon

Psychotext said:
Only three things will stick in people's mind from this year long term.

1: The FFXIII announce
2: The horrible, horrible you're in the movies demo
3: The drummer for Wii Music.

Nothing else was remotely memorable from the conferences.

Mario theme song played by Sony execs on Wii music was the funniest moment of the show.

Owensboro

Whoa whoa whoa! I assume this goes here, as there is no main Fallout 3 thread, but why the heck didn't someone on GAF tell me that the phone number they splashed on the screen during the Fallout Demo (Microsoft Conference) actually worked? As long as you stop dialing when you hit the right amount of numbers, it dials into Vault-Tec, and while not incredibly informative, is slightly hilarous.

Seriously, did I just miss that in the "huge" amount of info delivered at E3?

Top Bottom