E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

UntoldDreams

Member
Feb 6, 2007
2,954
0
0
Some things:

*) You guys notice how Kojima actually emphasized he and his team would be personally working on the PSP game and that it was a "true" game and not a spin off? Like he felt the need to emphasize this point.

*) PSP GT Mobile... I am pretty certain I heard the Japanese Yamauchi mention trading cars on the PSP although it did not make it over to the English translation. 4 player gaming is big in Japan due to Monster Hunter so I am not surprised they found a way to make game modes to match this demographic in Japan.

*) Uncharted 2 is jaw dropping and I am quite shocked how much detail they got into the actual gameplay.

*) Motion Control Stick(s)
Sony seems to be straddling the fence the most using both their PS Eye vision tech as well as their Sixaxis Gyroscopes in the twin sticks (most likely).

From what I can gather the PS Eye's sole purpose is to help provide a point of reference for the SIXAXIS gyroscope & accelerometers. Not too far off from how the Wii uses Infrared sensors to do so.

It will be interesting to see how this tool pans out the most. As my casual gaming sister mentioned, "technology is a great thing but it only takes a picture of Baby Mario to get everyone's attention... not NASA level engineering of controllers".
 

Shurs

Member
Dec 6, 2008
10,372
0
0
Minneapolis
twitter.com
2 Minutes Turkish said:
So you never played the original? How can I explain that a classic game is a classic game and that wanting a remake is only natural?

fuck, there's no point.

This thread is as bad as the Killzone 2 one.
So a 3d re-imagining of an average 21 year old game sight unseen, including art, gameplay style, etc by any developer would have been enough to tip you over the edge? That sounds like lunacy to me. Bring on the Karnov remake!
 
Dec 3, 2008
11,556
0
0
Valkyr Junkie said:
Surprised there was no Ratchet, Heavy Rain, White Knight or any of the other numerous games we know are being developed.
Yeah, I mean they showed them, technically, but I totally would have loved to see them featured a bit more.

So was Sony's conference officially the longest E3 Press Conference ever? lol
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
UntoldDreams said:
Some things:

*) You guys notice how Kojima actually emphasized he and his team would be personally working on the PSP game and that it was a "true" game and not a spin off? Like he felt the need to emphasize this point.
More like Sony impressed upon him the need to do that. Not hard to understand why.
 

Shurs

Member
Dec 6, 2008
10,372
0
0
Minneapolis
twitter.com
TheChillyAcademic said:
Yeah, I mean they showed them, technically, but I totally would have loved to see them featured a bit more.

So was Sony's conference officially the longest E3 Press Conference ever? lol
Their "sizzle" montages went on for fucking ages.
 

UntoldDreams

Member
Feb 6, 2007
2,954
0
0
Gary Whitta said:
More like Sony impressed upon him the need to do that. Not hard to understand why.
Release the Sony bias for a quick second and take a step back and look at Kojima himself.

Kojima has pretty much always been in Sony's corner and it shows in everything he does and says. I don't think Sony had to "push" him much at all.

That's not to say this is a "good or fair" thing but its pretty obvious to me which corner he is in.
 

laserbeam

Banned
Mar 23, 2007
6,938
0
0
only thing I reccomend for Sony is fire your entire PR department and begin headhunting. Having almost your entire Conference leaked way ahead of times to the point you have to make jokes about it is epic fail.
 

J-Rzez

Member
Oct 19, 2005
14,485
3
0
Gary Whitta said:
More like Sony impressed upon him the need to do that. Not hard to understand why.
Yeah, cause MS didn't tell Kojima to say it feels good to finally stand on their stage. :lol

:lol for effect.
 

Cheech

Member
Aug 14, 2007
6,655
0
0
Michigan
I have a PSP-2000 that only gets played maybe twice a year when I go on vacation.

Really, really glad Sony is stepping up to the plate and is finally giving it the support it deserves. My desire for a Nintendo DSi was completely extinguished today. I'm going to be putting a lot more hours into the thing in the next year!

Wasn't entirely impressed with the PS3 stuff. Uncharted 2 looked great, but as far as 2009 exclusives go, what else is there? I think Mag has potential, but Sony is going to have to sell a lot more PS3s before anyone can hop online and get their pick of local 256-player matches.

I don't know. The lack of great PS3 stuff this year kicked a lot of dirt over my initial glow over the PSP announcements. Infamous is pretty sweet, but if it's the best PS3 exclusive I play all year, I'm going to be disappointed.
 

Spasm

Member
Nov 13, 2006
3,850
0
0
Indiana
Finally got around to watching the conference, and... Damn! I honestly didn't expect much, but they blew my ass off!
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
UntoldDreams said:
Release the Sony bias for a quick second and take a step back and look at Kojima himself.

Kojima has pretty much always been in Sony's corner and it shows in everything he does and says. I don't think Sony had to "push" him much at all.

That's not to say this is a "good or fair" thing but its pretty obvious to me which corner he is in.
If Kojima wanted to send a clear message about what corner he's in, a better way to do that would have been to not stand on Microsoft's stage the day before.

Obviously Sony either won't or can't afford to moneyhat him into total format exclusivity any more, it's the way the business is going. You have to score your points where you can - exclusive DLC, timed exclusivity and in this case feel-good statements intended to take the edge off the Rising multi-platform announcement.

In any case I have a hard time accepting a handheld version as a "true" sequel, but then I'm not a big handheld gamer.
 

iamcool388

Member
Nov 25, 2008
3,280
0
775
BruceLeeRoy said:
I really want to do Alan Wake but I might have to try and do both...and then promptly die.
Bruce... you HAVE to do Uncharted 2 and God of War 3. You HAVE to. Please.

I will help you with medical supplies if you need any after... but those two games deserve threads with the BruceLeeRoy treatment!! :D

EDIT: Or maybe do some artwork for them if you dont make them?
 

UntoldDreams

Member
Feb 6, 2007
2,954
0
0
Gary Whitta said:
If Kojima wanted to send a clear message about what corner he's in, a better way to do that would have been to not stand on Microsoft's stage the day before.

Obviously Sony either won't or can't afford to moneyhat him into total format exclusivity any more, it's the way the business is going. You have to score your points where you can - exclusive DLC, timed exclusivity and in this case feel-good statements intended to take the edge off the Rising multi-platform announcement.

In any case I have a hard time accepting a handheld version as a "true" sequel, but then I'm not a big handheld gamer.

Interesting.

I disagree and I'm trying to be objective in saying that I think Kojima is probably just being loyal to king and country on this front (for better or worse).

Question:
Do you feel you are objective Gary? Or do you think you are somewhat more in the Microsoft corner and maybe anti Sony. Or is that completely false in your opinion and you are simply "telling it like it is"?
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Caught up on the highlights, looks like a good conference. MGS Peace Walker will get me to buy a PSP GO, but I might wait for the portable to be $199.

I had hoped Sony would announce some PSN upgrades, like perhaps Cross game invites and cross game voice chat. Sad to see this hasn't come to fruition.

God of War 3 looked completely badass. Can't wait to play it. I did get sucked into FF11 back in the day, so I might pick up FF14. On the PC though, but a nice exclusive coupe. Wish we would have seen more about the Rockstar PS3 exclusive, but at least we know its out there.

Motion control tech looked interesting, and gets rid of the uncanny valley of motion control the 360 camera represents. However I still really don't care about this. Just give me a great game on the dual shock to use.

Ass Creed 2 looked nice in motion. I'll have to rent the first one to play through it before the sequel is out.

Oh and Uncharted 2. :eek:
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
UntoldDreams said:
Interesting.

I disagree and I'm trying to be objective in saying that I think Kojima is probably just being loyal to king and country on this front (for better or worse).

Question:
Do you feel you are objective Gary? Or do you think you are somewhat more in the Microsoft corner and maybe anti Sony. Or is that completely false in your opinion and you are simply "telling it like it is"?
I want all three to do well and I think there was interesting stuff at every briefing. I tend to be more impressed by the big bold blue-sky stuff which is why Natal was the highlight for me and put Microsoft over the top.

I genuinely want Sony to succeed and am a proud owner of a launch 60gb but they just annoy the fuck out of me. They totally squandered the most dominant market position in gaming history, they don't try hard enough (there is no fucking excuse for PSN to be as far behind Xbox Live in terms of functionality and features as it is, none) and they follow rather than innovate (unlike Natal, the wand seems like an attempt to match the Wiimote rather than surpass it). So really for me Sony in this generation is a story of wasted opportunity and something not being as good as we all know it could be makes me more annoyed than something just plain sucking. I come down on them so hard because I *want* them to be better, so it frustrates the piss out of me when they're not.
 

karasu

Member
Jun 7, 2004
17,367
8
1,340
VA
www.twitch.tv
Gary Whitta said:
I want all three to do well and I think there was interesting stuff at every briefing. I tend to be more impressed by the big bold blue-sky stuff which is why Natal was the highlight for me and put Microsoft over the top.

I genuinely want Sony to succeed and am a proud owner of a launch 60gb but they just annoy the fuck out of me. They totally squandered the most dominant market position in gaming history, they don't try hard enough (there is no fucking excuse for PSN to be as far behind Xbox Live in terms of functionality and features as it is, none) and they follow rather than innovate (unlike Natal, the wand seems like an attempt to match the Wiimote rather than surpass it). So really for me Sony in this generation is a story of wasted opportunity and something not being as good as we all know it could be makes me more annoyed than something just plain sucking. I come down on them so hard because I *want* them to be better, so it frustrates the piss out of me when they're not.
Jesus. Just play the fucking games.
 

ArjanN

Member
Dec 7, 2008
16,816
0
0
Netherlands
UntoldDreams said:
Interesting.

I disagree and I'm trying to be objective in saying that I think Kojima is probably just being loyal to king and country on this front (for better or worse).

Question:
Do you feel you are objective Gary? Or do you think you are somewhat more in the Microsoft corner and maybe anti Sony. Or is that completely false in your opinion and you are simply "telling it like it is"?
I have to agree with him that an MGS on a handheld can't really be the 'true' sequel. Even if it does continue the story, it's a PS2 like game on a smaller screen with worse controls, on a system that not enough people own.

MGS Rising will probably be a sidestory in the MGS universe with a Raiden-clone, but as I understand it comes out on everything, even PC, and will have next-gen production values. So I'm way looking forward to that much more.
 

UntoldDreams

Member
Feb 6, 2007
2,954
0
0
Gary Whitta said:
I want all three to do well and I think there was interesting stuff at every briefing. I tend to be more impressed by the big bold blue-sky stuff which is why Natal was the highlight for me and put Microsoft over the top.

I genuinely want Sony to succeed and am a proud owner of a launch 60gb but they just annoy the fuck out of me. They totally squandered the most dominant market position in gaming history, they don't try hard enough (there is no fucking excuse for PSN to be as far behind Xbox Live in terms of functionality and features as it is, none) and they follow rather than innovate (unlike Natal, the wand seems like an attempt to match the Wiimote rather than surpass it). So really for me Sony in this generation is a story of wasted opportunity and something not being as good as we all know it could be makes me more annoyed than something just plain sucking. I come down on them so hard because I *want* them to be better, so it frustrates the piss out of me when they're not.
Hmm... Don't you think Natal is pretty similar to the PS Eye Pet thing and Eye Toy?

Really beyond a layer of pure software its just a Motion Sensing using a camera which is essentially what Eye Toy has been for years. I know it hasn't been exploited much beyond Eye Toy games like AntiGravity Snowboarding (did you play it? It was pretty good).

As far as the Natal AI implementation goes I have yet to see a convincing AI done yet on this planet and that has been tried using Supercomputers to try to pass a turing test.

Its interesting to hear your perspective and that you view yourself as "coming down hard on Sony because you want them to be better".
 

Donos

Member
Dec 7, 2008
8,627
0
0
oh god. the moment when tretton said "FF 14" was so priceless. Some ppl in the crowd thought that he ment 13Versus - like me. Than the trailer kicking in. good shocker.
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
karasu said:
Jesus. Just play the fucking games.
Sorry, I thought this was a forum and a thread where people enjoyed talking about the industry and not just the games. In any case I worked in the business for way too long to not think about this stuff. It's interesting.
 

LCfiner

Member
Feb 23, 2008
23,028
0
0
Montreal
karasu said:
Jesus. Just play the fucking games.

if people did that then why would anyone ever post on GAF?

UntoldDreams said:
Hmm... Don't you think Natal is pretty similar to the PS Eye Pet thing and Eye Toy?

Really beyond a layer of pure software its just a Motion Sensing using a camera which is essentially what Eye Toy has been for years. I know it hasn't been exploited much beyond Eye Toy games like AntiGravity Snowboarding (did you play it? It was pretty good).

no. the camera takes very precise 3D measurements with the added IR camera. it is more than just the eyetoy.

MS showed eyetoy stuff last year. Natal is much more.
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
UntoldDreams said:
Hmm... Don't you think Natal is pretty similar to the PS Eye Pet thing and Eye Toy?
I suspect the technology in Natal goes a little bit beyond what's in the PS Eye but that's not the point. For me the point is the ambition level. The blue-sky thinking demonstrated by Milo alone goes way beyond anything Sony ever dreamed of implementing for their cameras. As an owner of both the Eye Toy and the PS Eye I've had as much fun popping balloons and posing for funny photos as anyone, but Natal shows how much farther you can go with the technology if you really broaden your imaginative horizons.
 

Qwerty710710

a child left behind
Jun 16, 2006
1,942
0
0
Holy Shit you people think Uncharted 2 is the chosen one or something. It looks alright not too much different than the games that are currently out there. Holy Shit.:lol :lol :lol :lol
 

BeeDog

Member
Aug 2, 2007
15,494
0
0
Sweden
Qwerty710710 said:
Holy Shit you people think Uncharted 2 is the chosen one or something. It looks alright not too much different than the games that are currently out there. Holy Shit.:lol :lol :lol :lol
XBL tag only in profile says it all. Did you even watch the new trailer of it?
 

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Feb 23, 2007
51,886
0
0
Qwerty710710 said:
Holy Shit you people think Uncharted 2 is the chosen one or something. It looks alright not too much different than the games that are currently out there. Holy Shit.:lol :lol :lol :lol
My momma always told me not to make fun of handicapped people. But I'm very close to making fun of a blind person right now.
 

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jun 8, 2004
43,347
1
1,645
Edge's analysis:

http://www.edge-online.com/features/analysis-sony-press-conference

Behind the family bonding, healthy options and wide-eyed optimism, Microsoft’s E3 conference was dastardly. As in Dick Dastardly. It got out in front, thought about where its rivals might be heading, and started laying traps. Nintendo likes to think it’s in a completely separate race, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not competing in the biggest one with Wii MotionPlus, which suddenly looks a whole lot bigger next to no controller at all. Next through the checkpoint: Sony. We know it has the horsepower to make it a close-run thing, but has it got the bearing?
Second was the widely expected motion controller. Resembling a letter “i” with its simple stick and glowing orb, this prototype wireless device made some audacious claims. “An experience much closer to real life than anything you’ve ever seen,” we were told, the entire audience breathing the words: “since yesterday”. Don’t scoff, though: as it took on tasks from weapon-wielding to painting and object manipulation, often with help from a second identical stick, this unnamed device at least appeared to live up to its other claim: ‘sub-millimetre accuracy’. More convincing than MotionPlus and with a feeling of imminence Natal lacked, it was a fun, promising display.
For Sony and Microsoft, E3 2009 was the mirror of 2005, a year remembered solely for the fantastical debuts of Killzone 2 and MotorStorm. Here it was Natal that brought the video, the promises, and the aura of magic, while Sony kept it real. At times it was a messy one for PlayStation, and heaven knows why one of its biggest announcements, the exclusive 70s spy thriller Agent by Rockstar North, received such a casual, almost dismissive nod. Yes, it avoided most of Microsoft’s traps, but when it came to the PR offensive, the roles were truly reversed.
 

Gary Whitta

Member
Nov 21, 2005
19,404
0
0
San Francisco, CA
Qwerty710710 said:
Holy Shit you people think Uncharted 2 is the chosen one or something. It looks alright not too much different than the games that are currently out there. Holy Shit.:lol :lol :lol :lol
Hold on, let me find my Sony Defense Force hat... ah, there it is.

Uncharted 2 looked fucking amazing, visually way beyond anything else I've seen. Report directly to an optician if you failed to see that.
 

iFootball

Member
Dec 5, 2008
886
0
0
USA
inner-G said:
Anyone know where we'll be able to download the press conference? (HD preferably)
This ! Anyone??


Last year Sony posted it in the PS Store a few hours later if I remember correctly... maybe they'll do the same this year
 

Piper Az

Member
Dec 4, 2004
2,671
0
0
Gary Whitta said:
I suspect the technology in Natal goes a little bit beyond what's in the PS Eye but that's not the point. For me the point is the ambition level. The blue-sky thinking demonstrated by Milo alone goes way beyond anything Sony ever dreamed of implementing for their cameras. As an owner of both the Eye Toy and the PS Eye I've had as much fun popping balloons and posing for funny photos as anyone, but Natal shows how much farther you can go with the technology if you really broaden your imaginative horizons.
QFMFT

Although I think Sony's magic wands are great, they simple copied the Wii and took another step. MS's vision really is revolutionary. What they've showed is close to freakin Minority Report!
 

UntoldDreams

Member
Feb 6, 2007
2,954
0
0
I think the problem with any visual motion sensing system is that the amount of resolution and high speed frame rate required to capture movement at 30-60 FPS human speed is pretty ROUGH on any computer.

Every image frame has to be digitized and processed with pattern recognition and detect "arms & legs" moving from the previous frames. All this in 1/30 or 1/60, 1/120 of a second.
(Street fighter inputs need to be polled way higher than framerate)

For typical USB this bandwidth will be a problem unless you reduce the resolution to something sub-megapixel.

High resolution megapixel cameras produce megabyte photos each time. This is exactly the bandwidth problem being tackled if you actually want "high resolution movement" detection.

Sony's Eyetoy games predominantly uses what is known as IMAGE TEMPLATE MATCHING where they produce a simple 2D grid of normalized black and white pixels and simply check "which pixels switched form ON to OFF" for movement.

It will be interesting to see what Microsoft intends to pull off. Frankly, if they can make it work with the 360 at high speed, high accuracy, low bandwidth they will have solved the problem which exists for all image processing systems on the planet.

I am skeptical for the NATAL technology for reasons beyond LOVE or HATE for any big BILLION dollar company nor any blind fanboy emotions people have.

Technologically... I think MS promised a VERY large check and I think they will end up much more EYETOYISH than you might think after the conference.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Gary Whitta said:
I suspect the technology in Natal goes a little bit beyond what's in the PS Eye but that's not the point. For me the point is the ambition level. The blue-sky thinking demonstrated by Milo alone goes way beyond anything Sony ever dreamed of implementing for their cameras. As an owner of both the Eye Toy and the PS Eye I've had as much fun popping balloons and posing for funny photos as anyone, but Natal shows how much farther you can go with the technology if you really broaden your imaginative horizons.
I really think Natal is much ado about nothing.

But since you are so into it, tell me how Natal expands your horizons as a gamer. I keep on hearing this talk over and over, but I've yet to see any application close to giving you an experience like this.

This is the Home unveiling redux.
 
May 19, 2005
25,275
2
0
Maryland
Qwerty710710 said:
Holy Shit you people think Uncharted 2 is the chosen one or something. It looks alright not too much different than the games that are currently out there. Holy Shit.:lol :lol :lol :lol
No, it's pretty much the best looking console game I've ever seen.

Them Naughty Dog, why you gots be so good? Ahahahahahaha, so funny!
 

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dec 7, 2006
27,115
0
1,290
www.vertigogaming.net
Mrbob said:
I really think Natal is much ado about nothing.

But since you are so into it, tell me how Natal expands your horizons as a gamer. I keep on hearing this talk over and over, but I've yet to see any application close to giving you an experience like this.

This is the Home unveiling redux.
The huge problem being that this is Peter M.s project. Not only that, but the live demo from Kotaku seems...not good at this point. Oh, and that they've said it's "Fall 2010 at the earliest."

I think any company would find making some kind of dream project in trailer form that's nearly two years away fairly easy to make. I simply don't buy it yet.
 

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Sep 7, 2006
6,490
0
1,180
NYC
Piper Az said:
QFMFT

Although I think Sony's magic wands are great, they simple copied the Wii and took another step. MS's vision really is revolutionary. What they've showed is close to freakin Minority Report!
But SONY showed this minority report type stuff a long time ago... Sony's problem is not bringing all the cool ideas to life that they alway brag about... I think this is mainly do to the Japanese headquarters which is stuck is this fantasy world that doing the same old thing every gen works

The Mylo thing is a copy from Eyepet only that is a freaky kid doing it... What MS did better was the presentation of it... it went beyond the tech demos sony loves to show off. Presentation aside, SONY's tech was superior.
 

dollartaco

Member
Mar 30, 2007
1,413
0
0
Indy
LCfiner said:
if people did that then why would anyone ever post on GAF?




no. the camera takes very precise 3D measurements with the added IR camera. it is more than just the eyetoy.

MS showed eyetoy stuff last year. Natal is much more.
It will be just as accurate as any other Sony or Nintendo solution, but there will be more lag. Between 250-500ms, I'm guessing. The more gestures and articulations you have it recognize, the slower it will be. It's really quite a nice setup, though. I worked on something about 9 years ago that used a single webcam. With it, we could sense depth, do facial recognition, sex identification, and general mood interpretation. The trick was in the software, not the hardware, and I'm sure that's still true.

I really doubt that it will redefine the way we-as-in-GAF play games.