• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

PuppetMaster said:
You realize that Sony has been spending R&D money/time pushing research on vision technology since the PS2 era right?

MS only just jumped into this last year by purchasing the company that created what is now known as Natal.

I think your perspective needs some calibration
I really don't care who's been working on what longer or how they came to develop/acquire it. What Microsoft showed was more innovative and forward-thinking than what Sony showed.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
looks like a love it or hate it conference.

i thought it was pretty cool. ive got a mind to get gow3, last guardian....

i dont care for the waggle crap, but it looks like it works well considering they're tech demos.

and comparing natal to what sony showed is just semantics. they accomplish the same thing at the end of the day, it doesnt matter if they're more "forward thinking" or not. what actually matters is what is delivered.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
My final impressions for the final manufacturer's conference of E3.

I've got to say that it was a fairly mixed bag, IMO, for Sony. I thought that Uncharted 2, MAG, FF:XIV, and GOW3 looked great. The addition of Agent from R* will be heavily anticipated, I'm sure. However, the emphasis on the PSP GO! and the f'n wand really hurt this show. My thoughts on the new PSP are that if they added in a touch screen and cell phone service, I would wait in line for 3 days for one. As is, meh. The thing that made me angry about the PSP is that it's obviously forcing Polyphony to focus on it, rather than GT5. DAMMIT! But 800 cars and 35 tracks? Damn.

Motion control. Really? I don't want to see tech demos at E3. That goes for you too, Microsoft. At least that finger pincher Iwata showed was mercifully short. Mod Nation Racers actually looks pretty tight. I was shocked after watching MS show a lame kart racer just a day before. It truly looks like LBP for karts. The last guardian is something that I'll show plenty of respect to just because of the devs, if nothing else. Finally, NASCAR and a rally tour integrated into GT5 is great. Now when/where/how/why/who!?!?!

Gary Whitta said:
I really don't care who's been working on what longer or how they came to develop/acquire it. What Microsoft showed was more innovative and forward-thinking than what Sony showed.

You got the wool pulled over your eyes son.

AniHawk

I think it was the best conference of the three, from what I saw. Final Fantasy XIV Online, The Last Guardian, God of War III, and a bunch of games coming out in 2009 (versus 2010 for the most part for the other two) makes it the winner. I also think their motion stuff sounds better than Microsoft's, even though you need even more stuff for it to work.

I told Jack it was a good show when I saw him.

Tiktaalik

How much more insanely impressive would this conference have been if we had never seen the PSP Go or the Trico trailer?

Still a great conference and I think the best one.

Lightning

Banned
Ok, just got home from work and having a hard time gathering what was revealed in the conference.

So I will just ask what I want to know, anything on MGS4? DLC, Thophies, etc..?

jmd494

Lightning said:
Ok, just got home from work and having a hard time gathering what was revealed in the conference.

So I will just ask what I want to know, anything on MGS4? DLC, Thophies, etc..?
Nope (99% sure)

~Kinggi~

Banned
I must say i got back from work and watched the conference spoiler free and i was pretty impressed.

-Jack is a nice guy, i like him.

-Sony had a very no-bullshit attitude with the games this time around. Nice lineup.

-AC 2 looks great, so does Uncharted 2 and GOW 3. I actually really liked the cart racing game, seems like a lot of fun.

-FF 14 i thought he made a mistake. I instantly was picturing the GAF megaton meltdowns going on. I laughed my ass off reading this thread fresh. The online portion makes me lose interest significantly. If that shit was a full FF release that wasnt online I would say Sony won hands down.

--Trico trailer even though i already seen it was very touching. Graphics looked a bit improved from the old one so im happy. Will be a goty for me probably.

--Too many games for 2010, not enough for 2009.

-- I could care less about the motion controller. It looks really accurate but without seeing it in an actual game i dont care. At least MS had minigames to show off.

Overall Id say Sony's conference was actually good enough to put it with the Microsoft one, maybe just a bit under it. Although I thought the MS one had more variety and better presentation.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
rewatching the conference in HOME... lol first time I have used home and I have to admit its pretty salsa dancing is damn fun. :lol MAG is on ...

Truespeed

Uncharted 2 was not only the game of the show but also the engine of the show (the cells were screaming for mercy). I can't see how ND could possibly make a game better looking than U2. They'll make improvements to the individual systems, but we're clearly looking at the pinnacle of graphics on the PS3. I also want to touch upon their demo. I usually hate watching people play games for extended amounts of time, but the U2 demo was very entertaining and they ended it with a hilarious one liner that left the audience laughing - now that's how you conduct a live demo. Can ND do any wrong? I don't think so.

Gary Whitta said:

Why you could see that shit on youtube done with the eyetoy. Or the milo thing with eyepet last year. Or the retarded dancing on the PS2 eyetoy.

Kogepan

Sorry if I missed this, but did Epic announce anything as speculated? Or did that turn out to be the R* exclusive?

Also, Kojima appeared in the MS conf but not the Sony conf?

Truespeed

The rest of the Sony conference was unbelievable. In my 10 years covering this kind of stuff, this was BY FAR the most impressive conference I have ever attended. As a budding young game designer, I can honestly say that Sony had every angle covered. Just about everything they showed made me want to push my imagination farther than I ever have before, to rethink what was possible, because nearly everything they demonstrated had at the very least a practical application (interactive functionality, PSP Go, Home, etc.) or a big fat WOW factor (Uncharted 2, GT5, Kojima, Final Fantasy XIV, etc.). Then just to rub it in our faces, they drag out people like Evan Fucking Wells to scpiel about the PS3? Overkill, perhaps, but inch for inch the most incredible showcase I have yet seen, and the first time I got a lump in my throat since the Nintendo conference when they first unveiled Smash Brothers for GameCube. I seriously don't know how Nintendo or Microsoft can top this tomorrow. Nintendo could announce 5 Mario games, 5 new Zelda games, 15 new Metroid games tomorrow and it just couldn't compare. Microsoft could announce Halo 4, 5 and 6 til they're blue in the face and there's no way they match today's show.

It won't be enough to match this. New paradigms have been opened up, a comprehensive approach to the PSN service was on full display, and a shitload of exclusive or semi-exclusive games were revealed, of distinctive quality . Even without the surprise guests, Sony's showcase was pie chart-free and full of real, genuine content. To top this, Nintendo would have to show that they care about more than soccer moms and weight loss and do something to inspire the people that came before the Wii Fit craze, and Microsoft would have to drop some serious megatons for two straight hours to gain parity. In short, both Nintendo and Microsoft would have to surpass what was shown today, and to be honest, Miyamoto or no Miyamoto, Forza 3 or not, I don't think either of them can do it. No, I wasn't handed a fat check by Sony to say this. I was looking at today's conference through a developer's eyes and was thinking about the 3D motion controller games that make you go 'wow.' I thought about how each year I show up at E3 I don't expect much out of Sony because they must have blown their whole wad on Q4 of the previous year, and subsequently, about how wrong I was. The fact that this conference revealed not one, but two Final Fantasy games, a detailed look at The Last Guardian, and how they were just a handful of so many other delights (Jack, I love you, man!) was to me, as a gamer, simply inspiring. In my next career, which I'll hopefully be able to announce soon enough, I am being forced to think outside of the box along with my colleagues, about how to design things that are fresh and new, and the challenge is invigorating. The sky is the limit. Today's conference showed me the way.

jax (old)

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

you've been trolling SONY even before this conference began. Really not surprised its continues unabated.

Vek

Kogepan said:
Sorry if I missed this, but did Epic announce anything as speculated? Or did that turn out to be the R* exclusive?

Also, Kojima appeared in the MS conf but not the Sony conf?

Tretton announced that Rockstart North was making an exclusive game for PS3 titled "Agent", and Kojima rocked up to announce and show a trailer of the true sequel to MGS
his emphasis, sorta :p
, MGS: Peace Walker for PSP.

LCfiner

Truespeed said:
The rest of the Sony conference was unbelievable. In my 10 years covering this kind of stuff, this was BY FAR the most impressive conference I have ever attended. As a budding young game designer, I can honestly say that Sony had every angle covered. Just about everything they showed made me want to push my imagination farther than I ever have before, to rethink what was possible, because nearly everything they demonstrated had at the very least a practical application (interactive functionality, PSP Go, Home, etc.) or a big fat WOW factor (Uncharted 2, GT5, Kojima, Final Fantasy XIV, etc.). Then just to rub it in our faces, they drag out people like Evan Fucking Wells to scpiel about the PS3? Overkill, perhaps, but inch for inch the most incredible showcase I have yet seen, and the first time I got a lump in my throat since the Nintendo conference when they first unveiled Smash Brothers for GameCube. I seriously don't know how Nintendo or Microsoft can top this tomorrow. Nintendo could announce 5 Mario games, 5 new Zelda games, 15 new Metroid games tomorrow and it just couldn't compare. Microsoft could announce Halo 4, 5 and 6 til they're blue in the face and there's no way they match today's show.

It won't be enough to match this. New paradigms have been opened up, a comprehensive approach to the PSN service was on full display, and a shitload of exclusive or semi-exclusive games were revealed, of distinctive quality . Even without the surprise guests, Sony's showcase was pie chart-free and full of real, genuine content. To top this, Nintendo would have to show that they care about more than soccer moms and weight loss and do something to inspire the people that came before the Wii Fit craze, and Microsoft would have to drop some serious megatons for two straight hours to gain parity. In short, both Nintendo and Microsoft would have to surpass what was shown today, and to be honest, Miyamoto or no Miyamoto, Forza 3 or not, I don't think either of them can do it. No, I wasn't handed a fat check by Sony to say this. I was looking at today's conference through a developer's eyes and was thinking about the 3D motion controller games that make you go 'wow.' I thought about how each year I show up at E3 I don't expect much out of Sony because they must have blown their whole wad on Q4 of the previous year, and subsequently, about how wrong I was. The fact that this conference revealed not one, but two Final Fantasy games, a detailed look at The Last Guardian, and how they were just a handful of so many other delights (Jack, I love you, man!) was to me, as a gamer, simply inspiring. In my next career, which I'll hopefully be able to announce soon enough, I am being forced to think outside of the box along with my colleagues, about how to design things that are fresh and new, and the challenge is invigorating. The sky is the limit. Today's conference showed me the way.

heh, ain't Mielke a stinker...

Shurs

Gary Whitta said:
I don't know what the answers are yet, it's way too early to know. But I like the idea that smarter people than me are working on it.

dgn_kudo_tsunoda02JPG.jpg

Sydle

Haven't followed God of War 3 very closely, but it seems like the previous iterations with shinier graphics. Is it doing anything innovative? Not saying it needs to, just wondering.

jax (old)

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Not everything is a troll just because you don't agree with it.

because in the nintendo conference thread - even before the conference was up - you already rated it a C-.

so I call it what it is

search is disabled or I'd find your quote for you.

Jax said:
because in the nintendo conference thread - even before the conference was up - you already rated it a C-.

so I call it what it is

That was, as stated, a prediction based on what was rumored/known to be in the briefing (almost everything). And I stand by the prediction although I think I'd upgrade it to a flat C or maybe a B- because Uncharted 2 looked fantastic and the motion controller was slightly less of a Wii Motion Plus clone than I expected it to be.

EDIT: Downgrading it back to a flat C because the PSP Go price point is a joke.

LCfiner

FWIW, I would have raised Sony press conf grade from B- to B if they had just deleted the entire bit on Home.

just knock that to the curb and the whole presentation is better.

Truespeed

Gary Whitta said:

Was it also fashion forward?

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Returners said:
The whole Sony Presser is in PS HOME, in the presentation lounge.
Just came from there pretty cool I must say... Met a few friends and we ganged up on this guy... Wtf is it with people trying pick up chicks in HOME lol... every girl there was being stalked :lol

le.phat

Gary Whitta said:
That was, as stated, a prediction based on what was rumored/known to be in the briefing (almost everything). And I stand by the prediction although I think I'd upgrade it to a flat C or maybe a B- because Uncharted 2 looked fantastic and the motion controller was slightly less of a Wii Motion Plus clone than I expected it to be.

Attention whore much?

Totobeni said:
after reading many pages of this thread ..I guess poor mod nation Racer is the victim of Trico , Uncharted 2 , GOW3 and GT5 no one even care about it , it was one of best things of Sony Conference :(
I confirmed it as goty when they showed it.

Gary Whitta said:

That's a bit much Gary. You really should tone it down.

Unless you are just running around arguing for personal stress relief... I would submit to you that you could gain more benefit and "positive attention" which would gain you more of a fanbase by being a touch more political and less "Sony Sucks" confrontational.

Boss Man

Jax said:

so I call it what it is

Oh stop it, he's trying so hard just let him tire himself out. :lol

Quazar

Best part of conference was Mod Nation Racers. MAG looked cool. GoW3/Uncharted2 was badass. Was hoping they had a twist on the wand and they did. Otherwise it would of been torture to watch after Microsoft's showing. Loved the XIII footage. Great show.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Jax said:

so I call it what it is

lol I saw that tooo... :lol

Raistlin

Gary Whitta said:

I'm in Chicago, so I haven't been able to watch the demos ... but based on the descriptions I've read, I think they are going after two different targets (though there is obviously a ton of crossover).

The Sony tech seems to be more precise, and by virtue of having controllers, seems like one could do more complex controls. Whereas the MS stuff seems like insane minority report type stuff. The thing is, I'm not sure that will prove as functional for as many types of gameplay.

I can see MS pushing a lot more 'casual' type stuff with this (and if they're smart, make it work with the UI - that would be CRAZY. Imagine motion flow without needing a controller 0_0).

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
~Kinggi~ said:
-FF 14 i thought he made a mistake. I instantly was picturing the GAF megaton meltdowns going on. I laughed my ass off reading this thread fresh. The online portion makes me lose interest significantly. If that shit was a full FF release that wasnt online I would say Sony won hands down.

FF XIV will have more content and make more money for Square Enix than FF XII, FF XIII or FF vs XIII. GTFO with this mess. This will be huge for Sony in Japan and big for fans of FF XI.

Raistlin

1769_0001.jpg

WHATINTHEFUCKHOW?!!?

joshcryer said:
Depth perception, they're using that big glowing thing to get an idea how far away you are, it's a different solution to the same problem. It could possibly be done by putting a big fat glowing thing on the end of a controller but that would be probably uncomfortable to utilize.

Actually, I believe the glowing thing is for easy positional recognition (using a specific color would likely have worked just as well ... but this allows it to work in the dark too). For depth, it actually uses sound waves.

Raistlin

UntoldDreams said:
The question on my mind is what is Sony going to do with them? They've eaten the crow of "we have to copy Nintendo" which I am sure was a bitter pill to swallow and that's now over and done...

I was under the impression they've been working on this since the original eyeToy came out ... ie. before Wii.

Truespeed said:

Well played :)

Gary Whitta said:

Innovative and forward-thinking yes, but accuracy and usability? Something I can tell for sure is that you will never see a traditional FPS using Natal in this generation.

kitch9

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

Waaa, Waaa, Waaahhh......Listen to me everybody...... Waaaa, Waaaaa, Why aren't you listening?...... Waaaaa.....

Dude, thats all I see when I read your posts, its getting annoying......

Aselith

AnimeTheme said:
Innovative and forward-thinking yes, but accuracy and usability? Something I can tell for sure is that you will never see a traditional FPS using Natal in this generation.

I could see it working. A person using some sort of prop like a fake gun would probably do fairly well. Granted nobody would be using that for competitive play but it could definitely work on singleplayer as long as it has reasonably fast tracking.

Daante

Sonys conference was great.
A LOT of great games where shown, gigtaon for me was FF-XIV , and im happy that it will be online! :)

Still no FF XIII Versus? , maby S-E is showing and talking about this on their conference?
No release date for GT5 either?

ALL in all i think Sony had the best conference, maby they could have skipped some parts with numbers etc and focused even more on the games such as MS did. MS have a fantastic lineup aswell but im seeing the Sony lineup to appeal more to me.

Top Bottom