• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2010 Ubisoft Conference of Crystals and Magnets (concluded)

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Amir0x said:
lame lineup

beatitmichaeljackson960.gif

*hatters gonna hate*

:D

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
NullPointer said:
I'm getting that impression :(

Is there a video out there of the Ghost Recon bits? I want to know how much this warrants on the seething rage scale.

Probably gametrailers has it up already. Some people apparently liked it. I'm guessing they aren't fans of the classic GR games.

Since they consider "stealth" running around in the open directly in front of the enemies but completely hidden because of their invisible suits.

I thought I was over it... Ghost Recon. I knew this would be bullshit. GR is dead and buried, I thought. But watching that video it was like they dug up the remains and skullfucked its cold dead corpse.

Socreges said:
Well that's all very true. They obviously included this bizarre coma/shift bullshit so as to fix that. But the fix itself is just... Driver isn't science-fiction. It's inspired by classic car chases in old action movies. By having the player able to spontaneously appear in another car of their choosing, the suspension of disbelief is fucked. The nature and feel of the game is completely transformed.

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how it plays. Maybe they got it to work without compromising the game's other qualities.

This is what Ubisoft does. This is what I mean when I say they Ubisoft the shit out of games. They take a game like FarCry2 and ruin it with insta-respawns at every checkpoint, characters that talk fast for no reason, or a classic Ubisoft game mechanic: a game long case of malaria.

Closer to what you described would be assassins creed. Take a fantastic idea for a game then completely ruin the atmosphere and rip the player out of a fantastic setting and turn it into a modern day sci-fi game. Then further ruin an amazing game world with memory walls and randomly ripping them out to go back to an uninteresting and unnecessary modern setting.

Why not just make the story about a family who has a long lineage of assassins? Then they could have the sequels for assassins creed take place in many different time periods without having to use the dumb sci-fi memory machine. There Ubisoft, i used 1 brain cell and 20 seconds to fix your game for you. And man don't get me started on how many opportunities they missed out on for really compelling gameplay. Finding the target you need to assassinate, if handled right, could make for a very compelling game.

Oh man I'm done bitching about Ubisoft. I have no idea what is going on in their offices that other game companies are getting right, but their games end up feeling soulless. They have dropped the ball over and over on some games with a lot of potential. They have made games that will only be remembered when they had a chance to be revered.

Loxley

I still don't get the whining about Ghost Recon being "easy". Who's to say you won't go on to face enemies that have similar tech like yours?

Besides, do you really think you're going to have access to that camo throughout the whole game? I doubt it.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I <3 Memes said:
This is what Ubisoft does. This is what I mean when I say they Ubisoft the shit out of games. They take a game like FarCry2 and ruin it with insta-respawns at every checkpoint, characters that talk fast for no reason, or a classic Ubisoft game mechanic: a game long case of malaria.

Closer to what you described would be assassins creed. Take a fantastic idea for a game then completely ruin the atmosphere and rip the player out of a fantastic setting and turn it into a modern day sci-fi game. Then further ruin an amazing game world with memory walls and randomly ripping them out to go back to an uninteresting and unnecessary modern setting.

Why not just make the story about a family who has a long lineage of assassins? Then they could have the sequels for assassins creed take place in many different time periods without having to use the dumb sci-fi memory machine. There Ubisoft, i used 1 brain cell and 20 seconds to fix your game for you. And man don't get me started on how many opportunities they missed out on for really compelling gameplay. Finding the target you need to assassinate, if handled right, could make for a very compelling game.

Oh man I'm done bitching about Ubisoft. I have no idea what is going on in their offices that other game companies are getting right, but their games end up feeling soulless. They have dropped the ball over and over on some games with a lot of potential. They have made games that will only be remembered when they had a chance to be revered.

Animus is cool, screw the haters.

trejo

i am saddened though by the fact that BG&E2 is most likely now truly dead and buried. I think it's time to just let it go.

Sure, the presentation was silly (though I didn't dislike it nearly as much as many people here), but come on... they had far more games I actually really wanted to play than EA or Microsoft. Rayman Origins (!!!), Project Dust (Eric Chahi!), Driver (coma thing is stilly, but still it could be good), Children of Eden (Mizuguchi), Mania Planet (creation stuff is awesome)... now that's an interesting lineup. Perhaps Assassin's Creed Brotherhood too, the trailer was cool at least, and the Shaun White game looked pretty unique and original for a skateboarding game. They acknowledged that the PC exists, too, unlike Microsoft, where the only time PCs were mentioned was in the Windows Live messenger-Natal video chat conferencing thing... shameful, Microsoft.

Sure, MS and EA showed some interesting games, but for originality and variety (particularly for the non-FPS fan like me), Ubisoft clearly wins, I would say. Far fewer generic modern-day and sci-fi shooters, far more original titles.

R0nn

Wait, everyone is hating on the conference?

Well, it was really embarrassing during the middle part, but you can't do wrong with Child of Eden, Rayman 4 and Project Dust can you? Don't know how to feel about Driver and Ghost Recon yet, but those games didn't look terrible by any means of the imagination. AC: Brotherhood looks promising enough as well.

EA conference was better overall though. The MS conference was just terrible overall.

NinjaFridge said:
Animus is cool, screw the haters.

Memory walls were cool? Assassination targets being highlighted?

It's like all of these things they do to games is to make them as easy and as simple as possible. If Ubisoft made Half-Life games your HEV suit would highlight the route you need to take, all of the items that you need to make physics puzzles work, then put a big arow above the items you can pick up and throw with the gravity gun.

Anth0ny

So, the only press conference I decide not to watch... ANNOUNCES A FUCKING MICHAEL JACKSON GAME? JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

day fucking one.

bathala

Banned
R0nn said:

Well, it was really embarrassing during the middle part, but you can't do wrong with Child of Eden, Rayman 4 and Project Dust can you? Don't know how to feel about Driver and Ghost Recon yet, but those games didn't look terrible by any means of the imagination. AC: Brotherhood looks promising enough as well.

EA conference was better overall though. The MS conference was just terrible overall.
:lol how Ironic.

as long as they show the games u like its not bad. But if its something u hate its terrible conference :lol SOB

recklessmind said:
Probably gametrailers has it up already. Some people apparently liked it. I'm guessing they aren't fans of the classic GR games.

Since they consider "stealth" running around in the open directly in front of the enemies but completely hidden because of their invisible suits.

I thought I was over it... Ghost Recon. I knew this would be bullshit. GR is dead and buried, I thought. But watching that video it was like they dug up the remains and skullfucked its cold dead corpse.
I could only find another CGI trailer. This news is sad, to say the least.

Devs! You don't need to mindlessly copy that other shooter. Can we have at least have at least one high quality shooter series that puts strategy and tactics at the forefront? That rewards planning, communication and adaptability?

Evolved1

I <3 Memes said:
Memory walls were cool? Assassination targets being highlighted?

It's like all of these things they do to games is to make them as easy and as simple as possible. If Ubisoft made Half-Life games your HEV suit would highlight the route you need to take, all of the items that you need to make physics puzzles work, then put a big arow above the items you can pick up and throw with the gravity gun.

And it'd still be too difficult for the casual-only gamers they're targeting.

Razor210 said:
It also makes it so that you can't actually fail.

well, they can't make it actually as bad as they made it seem. right?
In the first game there was nothing. If your car got wrecked or turned upside down you had to start over. I prefer this solution. It's contrived as all hell, but as far as I can tell it's an otherwise pretty decent compromise. You can swap between cars, you don't ever leave the car, and you don't have to restart if you mess up at the very end.

Evolved1

NullPointer said:
I could only find another CGI trailer. This news is sad, to say the least.

Devs! You don't need to mindlessly copy that other shooter. Can we have at least have at least one high quality shooter series that puts strategy and tactics at the forefront? That rewards planning, communication and adaptability?

I will say that the com chatter during the mission was cinematic and cool as shit. Too bad it was in this game and not a real Ghost Recon.

Korey

Anth0ny said:
So, the only press conference I decide not to watch... ANNOUNCES A FUCKING MICHAEL JACKSON GAME? JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

day fucking one.
They didn't actually announce the game in the conference. A bunch of dancers came down, there was a graphic that said "Michael Jackson", they danced, and that was it.

^ an MJ game has been announced.

Anth0ny said:

day fucking one.
pretty much. but I'm surprised they didn't outright SAY they were making an MJ game.

Amir0x

Banned
Rebel Leader said:
*MICHAEL JACKSON*
*hatters gonna hate*

:D

I have no love for Michael Jackson, and don't care that he is dead. I think he was gross as a person and his music is only incidentally ok, he has like five decent songs and the rest are overrated tripe. A game based on him is about as appealing as a game based on Lady GaGa, which is to say not at all.

In any event, the one good thing Ubisoft did announce was that Questmania, Shootmania thing. That does look interesting.

R0nn

bathala said:
:lol how Ironic.

as long as they show the games u like its not bad. But if its something u hate its terrible conference :lol SOB

It was just terribly done overall. The Ubisoft conference was embarrasing in places too, but not as much as the conference from MS. It's not like I don't like some of the games they showed. I do like them actually. It's just that the Ubisoft conference was more interesting and more surprising overall.

Rainier

R0nn said:

Because a conference is more than just a list of games announced (though it could be argued it should be), its about the whole presentation. I think most people spent more time cringing uncomfortably during the Ubisoft conference than Microsofts. Ubi should really consider a new host for next year.

A Black Falcon above makes a great point about Ubi having a more well rounded lineup of games announced than MS, but again, a conference isn't just judged on the games.

Amir0x

Banned
I merely have no love for gross people like Michael Jackson. Idol worship is for blood suckers and vapid people with no personalities of their own.

Tiktaalik

The spiritual successor to Rez looked mighty neat. I think we're a few titles short still but there might end up being enough games to justify buying a Konect for even just traditional games over the course of the lifetime of the system.

Amir0x said:
I merely have no love for gross people like Michael Jackson. Idol worship is for blood suckers and vapid people with no personalities of their own.
Yeah well... I just started reading Scott Pilgrim and think it's only okay.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
omg this thread just got so controversial and edgy !!!!

Amir0x

Banned
sevenchaos said:

I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy more later.

Anihawk said:
Amir0x... Rayman.

What about it?

Rabbids is complete 0/0 so far as a franchise. Why would I anticipate another one?

Platy

Nicktals said:
Isn't there one on Wii, or coming to Wii? Isn't that a console?

Coming on the wii .... theoricaly already released ... never saw it

But i did saw a DS copy and the game is awesome ! =3

Amir0x said:
I respect your opinion and hope you enjoy more later.
Touché.

Edit: I do think this Michael Jackson game announcement shits on his grave though. Anything they do, at this point, is theoretically shitting on his grave. Unless it's finally releasing Captain EO or Moonwalker on DVD/BR.

Duelist

I <3 Memes said:

It's totally like you should be designing these games.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
sevenchaos said:
It picks up a lot later.

Rayman Rayman RAYMAN!!!

ANCEL IS BACK!!!

I can now semi-contain my rage at the death of BG&E2.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
27zm9a0.gif

Seriously, though, it was bad. Rayman did look purty though. Keeping an eye on Ghost Recon as well.

Anth0ny

Amir0x said:
I merely have no love for gross people like Michael Jackson.

Seriously, humanitarians are so gross! You sure you aren't just judging someone based on their appearance? Well ain't that mature!

On a lighter note, the new Rayman looks awesome. That is some really beautiful stuff if that trailer is in game footage :D

Amir0x

Banned
Anth0ny said:
Seriously, humanitarians are so gross! You sure you aren't just judging someone based on their appearance? Well ain't that mature!

On a lighter note, the new Rayman looks awesome. That is some really beautiful stuff if that trailer is in game footage :D

No I'm judging someone based on the horrible way he treated his children and the fact that he slept with other children even though HE SWEARS HE NEVER TOUCHED ANY OF THEM LAWL

He was a eccentric mess of a man who while he had a few legitimately good hits, is not someone I'm going to mourn the loss of nor anticipate a game from.

Sorry.

Anihawk said:
No. RAYMAN.

RAYMAN.

Hm. Interesting. Missed that one. Not sure what to make of this. What platform? It looks a little janky.

Duelist said:
It's totally like you should be designing these games.

Did I say that? All I said was that right now Ubisoft is the worst in the business at making really compelling AAA games. Their games are so sterile and soulless compared to every other publisher out there. Their games feel like they were made by a game making robot.

Whatever is wrong with their games goes beyond simplicity and poor design choices . Whatever it is about making games that feels like the developers imprint is on it is missing from their games. Lifeless, emotionless, sterile, or soulless, whatever you want to call it, it's missing from Ubisofts games. Their games feel like a cardboard cutout of a game.

Top Bottom