• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Digital Event

Puppets?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I love Nintendo, but that was just bad. REAL bad. Last year was so good. All I wanted was Metroid in glorious HD and we get a 3DS co-op game that looks like it could run on the DS.

It's jagginess is due to the screen resolution mostly. Hopefully one day Nintendo will realize that their low res handheld screens make their games look bad.

Man I just wasn't feeling it with the Paper Mario and Luigi game. I finished Paper Mario Sticker Star, but wasn't able to get through Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. It felt like a chore with so many tutorials I was burnt out halfway through. 5 years ago I would have been thrilled at the concept though

You can skip the tutorials this time around, at least it seems that way. They're playing this on the Treehouse stream right now, and it looks really good.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
>Stay unspoiled all morning
>Open youtube and avoid reading comments or related videos
>More dislikes than likes on the video
>Oh boy

Ecliptor

Basically

RTWHCri.png

Xun

We still might have a chance at possibly getting Zelda for the Wii U
One would hope.

You got to enjoy a dozen or so awesome first party games. I think that is reward enough.

You were already rewarded and add to that starfox, zelda and smtxfe, if thats not enough for you, next time dont buy a nintendo home console until you are sure its getting enough games to warrant your purchase
The Wii U has been great, but knowing how quickly Nintendo have seemingly abandoned it makes me less likely to spend money on the NX.

Compensating people in some form would help instil confidence in the company.

Zoolader

I think this year was just straight up saying that developers have moved on to NX and mobile. Wii U software is officially on life support.

Well, relative to what it was before.

Count me as a "Zelda simultaneous launch on NX' believer now.

Nintendo wants to sell systems so it's more likely they release it on NX first and then Wii U, like they did with Wii and TP.

xerneas

Banned
Count me as a "Zelda simultaneous launch on NX' believer now.

this is the absolute worse thing they could do, imo.

you want people to buy your new system. a massive new zelda game as a launch title for the system would serve as a massive impetus for people to purchase the nx. making it available for the wii u will disincentivize people from purchasing the new system.

additionally, why allow the computational limitations of the wii u to limit the scope and beauty of the next zelda game? transfer the entire project to the nx, and take full advantage of the added power of the new system to make the best game possible.

hEist

i don't know, what i should say.
the fact, that i waited the whole day for this presentation and waiting until 6.00pm (gmt+1) and get disappointed right from the start, reminds me of the situation 6 months after the wii u launch: well, i will sell this console. Then i repurchased one (mario kart...), struggling with to get my NNiD back ( i will never forget that ninty...) and it's the whole situation, again.

Jesus, seeing Star Fox and thinking, well, this looks like a gamecube game somehow. And then again, a presentation of Yoshis game (i do like the game, but i think we already had quite a lot of presentations...) Mario Maker, it is a great idea, but it's nothing for me. I'm not that 2D player guy anymore. About the other games, i don't wanna talk about it and definitely not about the 3ds games.

Yeah, the Wii U is dead. It's only Zelda for me now, what i'm looking for. And i don't think, they will do a "twilight princess" at first.

and i think, that Nintendo will not go completely NX next e3, from what i learned about Nintendo.

Nintendo Conference E3'16:
Zelda Wii U Trailer
2 Wii U Games for 2016
3 3DS Games for 2016
Some information regarding NX, how it will work. The idea behind.
No real console presentation, no name, no price, no release. Just a few demos of no real games, since all devs are hard working and still in the beginning.
More information and full presentation in Nov'16. "Some games" and maybe then "we also worked on Zelda Wii U parallel for NX..." since they realize, their games/devs need more time...

Release February-March'17.

AdanVC

The coolest thing was the puppet segments though. Did those puppets were actually created by the people who make Sesame Street? The style looks the same and omg so cool if that's the case.

The Wii U has been great, but knowing how quickly Nintendo have seemingly abandoned it makes me less likely to spend money on the NX.

I lined up all night for a Wii.

I waited for a retailer price drop + bundle for Wii U.

I can't see myself anywhere near an NX until year 4 when I know exactly what I am getting.

purdobol

you want people to buy your new system. a massive new zelda game as a launch title for the system would serve as a massive impetus for people to purchase the nx. making it available for the wii u will disincentivize people from purchasing the new system.

additionally, why allow the computational limitations of the wii u to limit the scope and beauty of the next zelda game? transfer the entire project to the nx, and take full advantage of the added power of the new system to make the best game possible.

Because those who bought Wii U and stayed with it are core Nintendo fans. Many of them bought the system just for that game. And releasing it on NX exclusively would basically be equivalent of showing middle finger to them.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One of Polygon's "8 biggest stories of the Nintendo E3 conference" was Mario Tennis.

That makes me sad inside.

Bruh, it's Polygon.

Did anyone find out what Gies was talking about when he mentioned a "10 year old beloved game announced that takes the wind out of it"?

Was it Shenmue 3 and the Kickstarter? Cause he is dead wrong again. (Shocker)

Sean

Banned
Again, this is way too soon. It's mid-gen. That's only 3 years of Wii U, two or so years until the next gen starts--so where does NX fit?

It'll be two years or more behind the next Xbox and PS6 and then Nintendo will be in the same position as they are in now.

Nintendo needs to tough it out, support Wii U, and release a successor when it is time for successors--in 2018 at the soonest.

Nintendo can't possibly ride things out until 2018, they just can't.

Third parties have completely abandoned the platform and none of the first party games are moving consoles. They've already released their big guns like Mario Kart and Smash. They can't really drop the price without suffering losses and even if Wii U suddenly started selling twice as many units as before, it still wouldn't be enough anyway. As sad as it is, Wii U is a lost cause and it doesn't make sense to pour any money into it.

Nintendo is gonna rush out their new console because they don't really have a choice. They can't risk being irrelevant for several more years.

tesla246

When Retro tweeted "Can you dig it," it wasn't a hint. It was a request to help dig the Wii U's grave.

This post inspired me to make this gif:

i0JE1mq.gif

Would be perfect if someone can edit in retro studios logo as clint's head, neogaf logo as ''the ugly's head, and a wiiU as a head on the man rolling in the grave, and maybe a sign instead of the hat, saying RIP wiiu 2012-2015. My editing skills are beyond horrible

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
So does Mario Tennis also have Remote+ comtrols or only traditional? Can you also play straight up Tennis with no suppa powa bullshit?
No one's will ever top Grand Slam Tennis' motion controls, will they? ... problem is that one was already starved for content and the series died with the horrible sequel which didn't even come out on Wii lol

Darryl

Banned
it seems transparent to me that they fluffed Mario Maker out into being a holiday title. the rename is just icing on the rebrand cake. by my nintendo fan calculations there should have been a next major Mario, but it was likely delayed just like Zelda was for the inevitable NX.

pixelation

Well, this all but confirms that i'll just wait until the Wii U is dirt cheap @ GS (like i did with the Wii) and purchase the few games on it that interest me, no point in getting it new at this point.

Zero²

They'd better compensate in actually making a solid launch line-up for the NX, not burning money on the WiiU, and I say that as a WiiU owner.
I got what I paid for at least, so I'm happy, but I can see why people might be disappointed.

krizzx

Again, this is way too soon. It's mid-gen. That's only 3 years of Wii U, two or so years until the next gen starts--so where does NX fit?

It'll be two years or more behind the next Xbox and PS6 and then Nintendo will be in the same position as they are in now.

Nintendo needs to tough it out, support Wii U, and release a successor when it is time for successors--in 2018 at the soonest.

This the most rational thing they could do. But they have chosen to go the rout of SEGA with the 32X and SEGA Saturn. We all know how that turned out.

Zero²;168441197 said:
They'd better compensate in actually making a solid launch line-up for the NX, not burning money on the WiiU, and I say that as a WiiU owner.
I got what I paid for at least, so I'm happy, but I can see why people might be disappointed.

I wish I could say the same. I bought the Wii U for the uniqueness the controller could bring to gaming. They didn't even really use it outside of their first launch title. They promised games that would show benefit of the Wii U Gamepad, and gave nothing. The same with the 3DS and 3D. Promised new games that only 3D could bring. Haven't seen a one. Built systems around the functions and then made them simply options in most of their games.

Powerwing

This post inspired me to make this gif:

i0JE1mq.gif

Would be perfect if someone can edit in retro studios logo as clint's head, neogaf logo as ''the ugly's head, and a wiiU as a head on the man rolling in the grave, and maybe a sign instead of the hat, saying RIP wiiu 2012-2015. My editing skills are beyond horrible
It would be glorious hahaha

Terrell

I've said it before and I will say it again: Nintendo's backed so far into the corner that they're really going to need to step up their game with their new hardware.

They're in the most fragile position they've ever been in and today's event didn't make it any less perilous for them. So I see the next console as an "evolve or die" moment for them, similar to the post-Gamecube landscape, but on a much larger scale. Time to throw out the conventions they attempted to rely on when making Wii U, the conventions they established with the Wii, and redefine what the Nintendo brand is about.

How does Zelda on Wii U keep people from buying a new system and the game with it, exactly? Didn't seem to hurt Twilight Princess all that much, did it?

Zoolader

Because those who bought Wii U and stayed with it are core Nintendo fans. Many of them bought the system just for that game. And releasing it on NX exclusively would basically be equivalent of showing middle finger to them.

I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I saw warning signs with the Wii U and never bought one. It's the first Nintendo console I've not purchased. I'm sure they will release Zelda on the Wii U eventually but I think the priority now is developing the NX version of the game. I'm still bitter about Nintendo doing that with th gamecube, but atleast it ended up getting the superior version of TP.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I still play my WiiU way more than the others. Smash + Splatoon + MK, the multiplayer holy trinity. Shame it's been relegated to a slow death

Just watching this on Youtube and I had to find the point in this thread that hit the start of the conference.

Nintendo 62... Nintendo 63.... Nintendo 64

Incredible

Terrell

Third parties have completely abandoned the platform and none of the first party games are moving consoles. They've already released their big guns like Mario Kart and Smash. They can't really drop the price without suffering losses and even if Wii U suddenly started selling twice as many units as before, it still wouldn't be enough anyway. As sad as it is, Wii U is a lost cause and it doesn't make sense to pour any money into it.

Nintendo is gonna rush out their new console because they don't really have a choice. They can't risk being irrelevant for several more years.

We're not going to see a release next year, so 2017 seems the likely target. In the meantime, they'll do what they can, probably rely on more DLC for their top games on the system, but in terms of new content for Wii U, next year is going to be sparse. They'll just let it sink into oblivion.

benjammin

I have to say, I think that was the worst e3 presentation that I've seen. I can't remember another that made me disappointed to own a console. Sony gives us shenmue 3, the last guardian, and confirmation of a ff7 remake. Nintendo gives us Mario tennis and a star fox game that looks like a wii game. I didn't have huge expectations for Nintendo this year, but I guess I shouldn't have had any expectations at all.

jholmes

Also it's not like Nintendo didn't have great directs all year long.

Seriously. Today was a giant bungle but it's not as if the games look bad.

Some of you guys need to step off the ledge and the rest of you should stop acting as if you own a Wii U to sell.

I have to say, I think that was the worst e3 presentation that I've seen. I can't remember another that made me disappointed to own a console. Sony gives us shenmue 3, the last guardian, and confirmation of a ff7 remake. Nintendo gives us Mario tennis and a star fox game that looks like a wii game.

Nintendo showed off exclusive content and zero Kickstarter campaigns so there's something Sony didn't do.

So I went back and watched it again, this time without any interference from GAF reactions. Here are my final thoughts:

Positive: Star Fox looks like a ton of fun. The graphics might not be incredible, but the addition of motion gameplay and cinematic sequences could make things very interesting. While I'm a bit confused about the chronology (is it a prequel to 64? He said it's not a sequel or remake) it does look great and I'm excited. Mario Tennis is always fun, and my wife and I are both going to play the hell out of FE Fates, Yoshi WW, Super Mario Maker, and Paper Jam. And while the 3DS Zelda isn't the game we were all hoping for, it should still be a fun game. And Metroid Prime Fed Force actually could be fun too!

Negative: The major problem I had was that a lot of the announcements almost felt like a bit of trolling. We've wanted a Metroid game for so long, and we get.......a 3DS FPS that doesn't even star Samus. We've wanted an Animal Crossing for Wii U and we get...an Amiibo-based board game. These felt, honestly, like borderline insults. Not to mention a ton of filler and things they could have easily saved for the treehouse stuff just made for a boring presentation. And while the Muppets were cute, the segments felt like stupid add ins and weren't as funny as the Robot Chicken stuff last year.

However, there are several Nintendo games I want to buy this holiday season, so if that was Nintendo's mission, then it was accomplished.

So, I'm going to go with a C-. The games were a B, but the presentation was a D-. It wasn't the worst conference Nintendo has ever done (I'm pretty sure nothing will ever beat the holy trinity of suck that was 2003, 2008, and 2012.) but it was disappointing overall, and definitely the worst of the three digital events. Here's hoping that since Nintendo will likely unveil the NX next year they will go back to the conference format.

SummitAve

Banned
I have to say, I think that was the worst e3 presentation that I've seen. I can't remember another that made me disappointed to own a console. Sony gives us shenmue 3, the last guardian, and confirmation of a ff7 remake. Nintendo gives us Mario tennis and a star fox game that looks like a wii game. I didn't have huge expectations for Nintendo this year, but I guess I shouldn't have had any expectations at all.

You must not have seen very many.

bumpkin

So... Jack shit. In other words, no more notable releases on Wii U. Apparently they're switching gears to whatever the hell the NX is. Very disappointing.

Vylash

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after watching this conference, is not going to want to purchase Nintendo games for either system. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and make another E3 conference or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Number_6

Yes, they absolutely can. They have like 10 billion dollars. They can keep pumping out spinoffs and amiibo with an actual real game or two each year like they've been doing. Your thinking is short term. Releasing NX too soon will destroy them in the long term.

This poster gets it:

This the most rational thing they could do. But they have chosen to go the rout of SEGA with the 32X and SEGA Saturn. We all know how that turned out.

Look into Sega's history Sean, and see how abandoned consoles and releasing too soon went for them.

Edit:

I mean, even forgetting about timing and generations and third parties and marketing--killing Wii U early and launching NX means that NX gets two to three years less R&D time than is typical. How amazing could it possibly be? When do third parties get dev kits?

faint.

Anyone wondering what happened to Project Giant Robo and Project Guard?

Based on the small amount of gameplay I've seen of Starfox, there are areas reminiscent of Project Guard, particularly with the little dude that comes out of your ship. His camera view is similar to the view we saw last year with Project Guard.

Shion

This is obviously a transitional period for Nintendo, but still, that was beyond awful.

Everything felt so incredibly cheap and lazy.

On one hand, the thought of a Nintendo console not getting a true Zelda game is supremely depressing.

But at this point, that's basically what I hope they do. I really don't see much of a point in releasing it for the Wii U anymore. Just bump it to the NX launch and really make that baby sing. (60 FPS please.)

Hatchtag

Banned
I wonder how much time we'll have before they pull the Wii U's ability to have online play, such as it is?

A year tops?

Wii/DS were only pulled so early because of issues with Gamespy shutting down. Unless something like that happens again, they'll keep it online. For what it's worth, you can still access the Wii Shop Channel, one of their few online services that didn't get shut down with gamespy shutting down. I think that's a good indicator that they won't unnecessarily shut down online services early.

cyba89

I still play my WiiU way more than the others. Smash + Splatoon + MK, the multiplayer holy trinity. Shame it's been relegated to a slow death

Yes. What softens the blow for this console for me is that it has fun games with so much longevity. So it's not that bad when the quantity is not there. Mario Maker and Xenoblade X will also be games you can easily sink 100+ hours into it seems.

AdanVC

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

This post already has it's own article on NintendoLife

LaserHawk

A few things I was hoping for:

New 3DS XL Variations
I was waiting for neat enough design to move up to the "new" 3DS. But I don't think there's a point now. There aren't even many compelling games to upgrade for

Mario Kart 8 DLC
DLC seems like a good strategy in Nintendo really IS in a transitional stage. And people WANT more Mario Kart 8! How much would it have helped this conference to show a Metroid track? And what about some nice Battle courses?

Splatoon info
In the same vein as Mario Kart 8 DLC, this would have helped. I'm hungry for more Splatoon content... and they presumable have it already. Why not talk about it? That August update's coming up, after all.

Top Bottom