• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2021 Participants Revealed (Nintendo, MS, Capcom, Konami, UbiSoft). Sony, EA, Activision, Square to Skip

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sony stopped doing E3 for years now
They hit critical mass and dont need indies or third party games anymore.

Historically, at the beginning of generations it's all about lots of indie games to fill the void. Then it changes to third party games, then it changes to first party games where indies and third party get kicked to the curb. Then literally no show at all last few years.

Looks like they are going the State of Play route going forward.

Microsoft were a huge threat to Nintendo during the OG xbox, the GC sold like shit.

Their console business? Sure I guess.
But Nintendo were selling GBA's for fun. Their mindshare in the handheld space is what's kept them in the game, even when they performed poorly in the home console space.

Microsoft could have ended the PlayStation division in 2010, but Mattrick fucked it up.

I'm not quite so sure about this.
Even when the PS3 was losing money, it was selling like gangbusters everywhere apart from the US. Hirai was in charge of SCE at the time, and a few years later would become CEO of Sony proper, and he was making very good plays around that time and turned PlayStation from a loss-leading business to a profit-making one. All of this was done irrespective of whatever it was that Microsoft was doing.

The whole meme that the 360 trounced the PS3 is basically false anyway. The 360 launched a year earlier, and eventually ended up losing in terms of unit sales (though marginally). If I remember correctly he PS3 outsold the 360 worldwide every year since it launched. It just performed relatively poorly in the US. But the gaming world is bigger than just the US.

I guess MS could have caused Sony problems by making XBL Gold free, or offering games for free but would they? They were making good money, so why would they give that up to 'end' a division that wasn't really even dying.

Calverz

What else are Sony going to show during e3 season? Tbh I’m hoping to see the new vr headset and more of gt7. I really hope they have more than horizon and ratchet as those games do not interest me.

CitizenZ

Banned
I think around 2015 when i heard it would cost 1-3 million for basically 3 days for Sony, MS and Nintendo and just making trailers was a full time $1000,000 investment. Its not worth it when you can simply throw up a video today and get tons of views. All of these shows really waste of time today.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
What else are Sony going to show during e3 season? Tbh I’m hoping to see the new vr headset and more of gt7. I really hope they have more than horizon and ratchet as those games do not interest me.
acquisitions

shaq ooo GIF

yurinka

Their next year or so is going to be really packed, they can make a big ass event around E3 and another around fall.

For the next year or so they have these games, they can show a new trailer and in some of them still have to open preorders/announce date and editions. Some other games are still TBA but who knows if they could release a new trailer and set a date for the next year:
-Little Devil Inside: july
-Kena: August 24th
-Deathloop: September 14th
-Fifa 22 (marketing deal): typically late September, early October
-Far Cry 6 (marketing deal): Octuber 8th
-CoD WWII (marketing deal): typically late October, early November
-GTAV + GTA Online PS5 (marketing deal): November 11th
-God of War Ragnarok: 2021
-Ghostwire Tokyo: 2021
-Sifu: 2021
-Jett: The Far Shore: 2021
-Stray: 2021
-Solar Ash: 2021
-Five Nights at Freddy’s Security Breach: 2021
-Goodbye Volcano High: 2021
-Forspoken: January 2022
-Gran Turismo VII: early 2022
-Granblue Fantasy Relink: 2022
-Pragmata: 2022
-Hogwarts Legacy: 2022
-Babylon’s Fall: TBA
-Wild: TBA
-Final Fantasy XVI: TBA
-Project Awakening:TBA
-Next Astro game gets cancelled, Knack 3 gets annouced: Knack is now a black non-binary lesbian and their pronoum is 'meh'

If they plan to release PSVR2 next year (it may be 2023), they can announce the headset and its main tech specs and features this summer, or at least to tease it, at the same time they send the first devkits to the developers.

They are working on PS Plus and PS Now improvements to give them a push, they could announce the changes and new vision if it's a somewhat meaningful change (Virtua Fighter 5 FS is day one in PS Now, maybe they sell games for streaming like Stadia, maybe they merge the monthly games library and discounts of PS Plus into PS Now to have a single game download and streaming service while also keeping PS Plus cheaper specially for emergin markets where they want to grow).

They also could announce one or two acquisitions: Housemarque, Bluepoint, Kojipro, Quantic Dream, Sumo Digital, Supermassive Games, Remedy... they are likely candidates.

They could also announce/tease some unannounced 1st/2nd party (or 3rd with marketing deal or some kind of exclusive) games:
-TLOU2 Factions
-Guerrilla multiplayer game (Killzone?)
-Spider-Man 2
-TLOU2 PS5+TLOUR bundle
-Sony Santa Monica's new IP by Cory
-Bend's new IP
-Uncharted next game
-Jade Raymond's next game
-Destiny's bosses next game
-Quantic Dream's next game
-Kojipro's next game
-Jenova Chen's next game
-Bluepoint's next game/remake
-Housemarque's next game
-Supermassive's next game
-Rumored Final Fantasy game by Team Ninja
-Some AAA 3rd party multi game with marketing deal or some type of exclusive announced at E3 coming from Activision, EA, Ubi, Warner, Take 2, Square, THQ, Konami or Capcom
-Uncharted 4, TLOU1, GOW 2018, Dreams PC ports
-Starfield as PlayStation timed console exclusive :messenger_tears_of_joy:

My point was you are not going to see Street fighter 6 with capcom being at E3, it's going to be Resident evil 4 remake, Pragmata. Also expect to see more of Project Athia/FF 16 and possible release date on Sony's state of play.
Sony bought EVO because they are betting on fighting games. They now have exclusive SF5, KOF XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd, Guilty Gear Strive, Virtua Fighter 5 US, and other ones. Plus they may have marketing deals with big multis like MK11 and Tekken 7. So I think that Sony will want to focus the big fighting game announcements on EVO even if multi, something that more or less always happened.

This year we can see there:
-Project L (League of Legends fighting game) platforms (PS console exclusive?) and release
-KOF XV platforms (PS console exclusive?) and release date
-Street Fighter 6 announcement teaser
-Tekken 8 announcement teaser
-Next Netherrealm game announcement teaser
-DLCs for many existing games like Street Fighter V, Guilty Gear Strive and so on

Sony marketing is messing up badly here. The brand will survive because of the product, but the marketing is abysmal. Maybe they are behind, or maybe they're planning some independent event which is not going to be that great.
Sony is breaking gaming history records (or are the pioneers/only ones) in basically all fronts where they are focused: selling consoles, selling games, selling game subscriptions services, game streaming on consoles, VR in consoles... This means they are doing better marketing than any other console platform holder does or ever did in gaming history.

If we go to check their numbers on trailers and social media they also have insane numbers, way above than their direct competition.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I think around 2015 when i heard it would cost 1-3 million for basically 3 days for Sony, MS and Nintendo and just making trailers was a full time $1000,000 investment. Its not worth it when you can simply throw up a video today and get tons of views. All of these shows really waste of time today.

People forget the real purpose of E3 and the reason why the public wasn't allowed in for years. It's meant to be a trade show and for the publishers to woo retail buyers. But with GameStop turning into a Funko Pop store and places like Amazon dominating game sales, not to mention digital, that original purpose of E3 has fallen to the wayside.

yurinka

People forget the real purpose of E3 and the reason why the public wasn't allowed in for years. It's meant to be a trade show and for the publishers to woo retail buyers. But with GameStop turning into a Funko Pop store and places like Amazon dominating game sales, not to mention digital, that original purpose of E3 has fallen to the wayside.
Yes, and other part was to announce to the media their games. But today they can make it via internet, and they can showcase their games to the consumers worldwide directly via internet using their own channels skipping the gaming media, so they can skip this part too and each one can make their own video stream.

But there is a third purpose of E3 that still is needed (maybe not that big and flashy): big presential event for networking and meetings at least between devs and publishers.

Over time the purpose of E3 evolved, like the game industry evolved. That part of selling their games to the retailers and gaming media evolved into selling their games to the customers, so in addition to refocus their conferences into streams they also have been refocusing the booths expo part from B2B to B2C, they are turning it into a videogames Comicon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom