• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Beth] The Elder Scrolls VI Teased | "Next Generation" / After "Starfield"

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wasn't much shown besides a title shot, but it looked great.

DEGNV9L.png

Last edited:
They didn't have to show both, but now you know what your tickets to next year's show will get you: in-depth looks at DOOM: Eternal, Starfield, and ESVI.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't understand the point of revealing a game that is this far away. And the shot of the world made it look like everything was one samey-looking setting like Oblivion and Skyrim, which would be a big disappointment. I was hoping to get back to a Morrowind type of world where the setting varies with the geography.

Mibuokami

Wasn't much shown besides a title shot, but it looked great.

What part was looking great? It was literally just a grass field and some building. No creatures, no heroes, no nothing... not even a subtitle! I've seen fake trailers of ES:VI done better.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't understand the point of revealing a game that is this far away.
Perhaps so we don't have to speculate anymore what BGS is doing. Now we know their next projects will be Starfield and TESVI is coming after that. Fallout fans are going to have it a bit rough after 76.

If this is coming out for next generation Consoles that would mean the Elder Scrolls skipped an entire generation of Consoles. Not that I really care as a PC player, but that's still kind of wild to me.

These games deserve that kind of development time though. The longer the better. It's awesome to see Bethesda supporting VR in general (including the Rift, which recently got updated with official Fallout 4 support), because if their future games can get VR support at the start it will be all the better (and by that time the headsets will be even better).

VR was already a transcending addition for Skyrim that really added details to the game that i'm betting even the developers didn't envision when they were designing them. It's one thing to have some fish jump their way up rivers and waterfalls and press the A button to collect them, it's an entirely different thing to be able to literally crouch down in front of the rushing water and hold your hand out to catch them.

I've been watching the series evolve since Morrowind, and each step of the way has been unbelievably exciting to me (with some steps back of course). The biggest and best change they made in my opinion was always removing the random element to combat swings, because that cemented a certain aesthetic philosophy that the game world was something that was supposed to be tangible, and not something to be considered abstract.

They've continued to carry that forward, and even smaller details like allowing the game world to continue moving when talking to NPC's have allowed that much more believability, but I don't think any of them, not even fully voiced dialogue, compare to the removal of random combat swings and the addition of VR.

The game series will be almost unrecognizable from its origins by the next title, hopefully.

I'll talk to you guys in 5 years.

EDMIX

No way, KH3 and Cyberpunk have the longest announcement to release time ever.
huh? No...no they don't.

When did Cyberpunk 2077 get a release date? KH3 was revealed in 2013....that ...that isn't really a long announcement to release.

WaterAstro

We already knew about Starfield, and ES6 was obviously coming at some point. Not really surprised, and because they had nothing to show, it was more disappointing than good.

makaveli60

At least we can calm down now and know that it will come eventually. I'm glad it's skipping this gen. I'll never forget playing Oblivion on the 360. Coming out of the sewers was a "this is nextgen" moment I'll never forget. I want to have that feeling again with TES VI.

I was surprised they bothered doing an announcement teaser like this, and not even give a location for the game. I guess they wanted to just affirm what's already talked about and how long you will have to wait for this and what's coming before it, so people can actually shut up about it.

I expect it to be ALL of Tamriel.

That would be appropriately "next gen" enough.

Expect one province unless they want to go the warmap DA:I sectional map style. They can make it big like Ghost Recon Wildlands, but Daggerfall was absolutely massive KM wise (even if filled with fluff). Doing all Tamriel in one Map with anything less than the biggest map in the world on 5 blu-rays would do it an injustice. Plus they have ESO for that, they don't need to cross those streams. Hence why they announced the Blackmarsh add-on later for ESO. "See we're finally going there, just not in the next ES6." Expect High Rock (possibly Hammerfell/Valenwood), or like someone speculated with a map comparison somewhere else it might even be in Anvil in Cyrodiil again on the west coast. I don't think Bethesda want to do a mainline ES in a game filled with lizards or cats (Black Marsh / Elsweyr). Though I'd like to be proven wrong on that front.

bufkus

If this is coming out for next generation Consoles that would mean the Elder Scrolls skipped an entire generation of Consoles. Not that I really care as a PC player, but that's still kind of wild to me.

No, it did not. the PS4/XBone/Switch all received a version/port of Skyrim. It's more correct to say that one Elder Scrolls title covered two generations. And the best part is that it's still held up after all this time (thanks to the special edition).

Expect one province unless they want to go the warmap DA:I sectional map style. They can make it big like Ghost Recon Wildlands, but Daggerfall was absolutely massive KM wise (even if filled with fluff). Doing all Tamriel in one Map with anything less than the biggest map in the world on 5 blu-rays would do it an injustice. Plus they have ESO for that, they don't need to cross those streams. Hence why they announced the Blackmarsh add-on later for ESO. "See we're finally going there, just not in the next ES6." Expect High Rock (possibly Hammerfell/Valenwood), or like someone speculated with a map comparison somewhere else it might even be in Anvil in Cyrodiil again on the west coast. I don't think Bethesda want to do a mainline ES in a game filled with lizards or cats (Black Marsh / Elsweyr). Though I'd like to be proven wrong on that front.

If ESO is already all of Tamriel, then why couldn't a mainline entry do the same? Especially if it's a next gen title.

Yeah, it would need to be a BIG map, but it could be done.

Bolivar687

Banned
It could be anywhere, the ruins look like the imperial forts in all the games. There's been minor hints of redguard stuff for years so I expect Hammerfell for now. The music plays a part in the theme, and with the war drums, it could also have a focus on the Orsimer. It could be in the general area and be another Daggerfall or The Elders Scrolls VI Orsinium would be ballsy.

The brief teaser of generic terrain is incredibly disappointing on so many levels. For a game that showcases a different region and culture every time, the similarities to Cyrodiil and Skyrim and underwhelming. It's time for another exotic location but they would have been better off not showing anything at all. I honestly don't care about Bethesda's other projects and think they all look like trash. I don't get why anyone would celebrate them taking their time on the next Elder Scrolls because it's not like they're spending all ten years working on just TESVI, they're working on other games. Even if they did have ten years to make a new one, I would rather be playing new Elder Scrolls than not playing new Elder Scrolls, and I would be much more interested in what they could have done with the five-year development they should have gave us in 2016. Skipping a hardware generation with their biggest franchise kind of breaches the trust I have for them as a fan.

If ESO is already all of Tamriel, then why couldn't a mainline entry do the same? Especially if it's a next gen title.

Yeah, it would need to be a BIG map, but it could be done.

Could doesn't mean would in the Bethesda sense. ESO is also chopped up pieces/shrunken down version, it's not the whole thing. It may be getting there with expansions, but it's not all of Tamriel yet.

Best guess I can throw out there for maybe if it's in indeed Anvil in Cyordiil is it's a port-based game where your home base is Anvil and you go out on ships from there (hopefully not just via fast travel) to other continents within reasonable range. Which would be Valenwood, Hammerfell and Summerset. And of course Cyrodiil itself to a degree. Methinks they saw the Witcher 3 / AC: O sailing and wanted something similar. But I'm just shooting in the dark.

Pirate/ship-based games seem to be popular right now so it seems fitting.

Could doesn't mean would in the Bethesda sense. ESO is also chopped up pieces/shrunken down version, it's not the whole thing. It may be getting there with expansions, but it's not all of Tamriel yet.

Best guess I can throw out there for maybe if it's in indeed Anvil in Cyordiil is it's a port-based game where your home base is Anvil and you go out on ships from there (hopefully not just via fast travel) to other continents within reasonable range. Which would be Valenwood, Hammerfell and Summerset. And of course Cyrodiil itself to a degree. Methinks they saw the Witcher 3 / AC: O sailing and wanted something similar. But I'm just shooting in the dark.

Pirate/ship-based games seem to be popular right now so it seems fitting.

That would be fine I guess, maybe it doesn't have to be ALL of Tamriel (I mean we can definitely skip Skyrim since that's already been well covered) but it should be multiple areas for sure, I'll be pissed if it's only a single region, especially since by the time the thing comes out it'll probably be over a decade since Skyrim, waiting a decade plus for only one region? That would be a total waste.

And I never would have imagined we'd be waiting over a decade when Skyrim came out for an ES6, I remember when the just under 7 year period between Oblivion and Skyrim felt like a long time, hoo boy.

My guess for a release date by the way is 2022, which would be 11 years after Skyrim and TWENTY YEARS after Morrowind, what a mind bending thing to think about.

Last edited:

Fizggig

Neo Member
I'm gonna say Starfield will be out 2019 2020 the very latest. ES6 is 2021 2022 the very latest. It's not gonna be 2023 that's way to far away the game is in pre production.

Golmo

Neo Member
Starfield will be Next-Gen as well. No release for PS4 / Xbox One.
Fallout 76 is the last Bethesda Game Studios Game for the Current-Gen.

Top Bottom