• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Cyberpunk 2077 – E3 2018 Trailer

What rating would you give to this trailer

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 6 2.0%

Votes: 14 4.7%

Votes: 21 7.1%

Votes: 32 10.8%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 98 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Not what I was expecting.
Looks PG rated and gameplay is just going to be a shooterfest.
The overall vibe is more Fortnite and sunset overdrive and less futuristic cyberpunk-esque.
Hype deflated.

Dontero

Banned
Do I need to show BR images? It's giving a bad impression of selling a cyberpunk daytime, we should be able to criticize it for that.

You are criticizing it based on 5 shots of city in trailer mostly from one place and some outskirts. Based on what ?
That there is actually day in city.

CB is not BD nor Dredd or Robocop. Stop imposing your BD idea of this world. Instead of talking bullshit just read lore first then come back and talk.

CB IS NOT BD.

Last edited:

Fbh

Slightly disappointed that the trailer had no actual gameplay in it but it's looking great so far.
A setting like this with the type of care and content that CDPR puts into their worlds is going to be amazing

GenericUser

I'm not really into this futuristic stuff, as I usually prefer more classical medieval setting, but the trailer was ok I guess. I mean it's CD Project Red after all, you know the game will be huge and full of interesting stuff. Hope they'll nail the combat this time.

Thread in a nutshell:
bK0Z1eX.png

I thought the sunny parts were mostly appearing when they were showing the area where the rich live.

edit:
Warboys have sunk low enough that they need to take a cab to the Fury Road

Last edited:

EDMIX

The overall vibe is more Fortnite and sunset overdrive and less futuristic cyberpunk-esque.
Hype deflated.

lol you joking? prostitutes, people being murdered, drug dealers, pregnant woman smoking (thats killing a BABY BRO)

damn that was awesome... pretty much what I hoped for from Cyberpunk 2020 and Night City -- especially the style and action. fits it perfect.

suddenly I want a GTA Neo-Vice City though lol

/edit/ and no offense to Gibson for obvious reasons lol -- especially since I wrote the 'GTA Neo-Vice City' line before I saw the Gibson tweet lol -- but come now, what else was he expecting from the source material.

Cyberpunk 2020 always placed great descriptive focus on 80s retro-futurism and more punk and action. it was more anime and especially mech-combat inspired; the plots were often very combat or war based: gang combat or corp wars. the pnp game itself, in terms of gameplay, could be quite combat and killing-focused.

if it felt more like Neuromancer then we'd be asking, 'wtf is it called Cyberpunk 2077' o.0 seems awfully petty to take away from an alternative cyberpunk setting by diminishing it as a 'gta skin' considering the source material's style and creation date ;\

i mean that with a lot of respect as neuromancer is a pretty defining piece of fiction for me, personally and professionally. played a big role just not in my creative interests but where I went in education and professional life. so, it'll always be a standard for me. and, hey, I would have loved Gibson and CDPR to make a Sprawl game, or a Chiba City game. but they didn't.

it's a CP2020 game, and though I do grant the music and pacing was more intense than what I expected, the overall aesthetic and the focus on tech and action-style is pretty much what defines CP2020. if CP2020 ever had creative criticism, it was that was always a smorgasbord of all the cool 'cyber' and punk' shit from other cyberpunk settings, and a lot of descriptive emphasis on that style and presentation. the trailer, music and pacing aside, captures the cyber and punk and style of CP2020 pretty well I think.

Last edited:

siavash

Neo Member
this looked like more of a rockstar game
i was more intrested in the first trailer atmosphere,but since Blade Runner 2049 flopped,this was a right marketing choice

-BLITZ-

Ouch. It hit me hard. I wasn't expecting in this tone. I thought will be more dark and less so many colors applied everywhere compare to the first trailer years ago. It resembles to many game styles of the last two-three years. So similar to Watch_Dogs 2. :confused:

Makariel

Hype deflated.
Dude, there is a guy getting his eye torn out, two people get their brains fried and I can't remember many prostitutes in fortnite either? Have you actually seen the trailer or switched off as soon as you saw daylight?

And it's an rpg, not a shooter.

And finally there are crowds of people in a cyberpunk game! I always found it a bit off how empty the areas in Deus Ex were.

klosos

God am so excited for this game , i cant wait. This seems to be the game I've been waiting for all my 25+ years of gaming.

I will echo some sentiment with other posters tho , i would of loved to have seen some footage of nighttime , neon lights and atmospheric effect ( fog etc ) but it wasn't to be.

Thinking of the Witcher 3 when it rains and the trees are swaying i think CD project Red will be able to nail the atmosphere and with there story telling this could be a absolute masterpiece. Looking at CD projects history each game as got better from the last , i have faith in them

Skyn3t

Banned
I imagine we all do, as they're one of the most acclaimed and respected studios out there. Game will blow our minds up, pretty sure about that.

Bl@de

It's everything I wanted. Akira + Ghost in the Shell + RPG. 10/10. My most wanted game. Other titles don't come close.

Fuz

Banned
Aaaaaand meanwhile I'm listening to Akira and GitS soundtracks all day.

Goddammit I need this game.

Kreydo

The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer is such a masterpiece, the attention to details in each scene, all the different characters featured who could represent classes, the lighting used, the choice to show it in plain day while you can still tell that it's cyberpunk.
To me CDPR have reached the trailer Rockstar level without using famous tune or over the top dub with punchline.

I was surprised the trailer also focus so much on driving... If we can have an open world RPG with some driving, then GTA became instanly irrelevant.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I wonder if this game has done an FF13 versus. Where we were originally promised one game but when the game finally releases it became something almost entirely unrecognizable. I mean the originally trailer was released on January 10, 2013 and it is now June 10, 2018.

Last edited:

xool

I was surprised the trailer also focus so much on driving... If we can have an open world RPG with some driving, then GTA became instanly irrelevant.

And if the shooting is even fractionally good double that.

It's way too early to say though.

The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer is such a masterpiece, the attention to details in each scene, all the different characters featured who could represent classes, the lighting used, the choice to show it in plain day while you can still tell that it's cyberpunk.
To me CDPR have reached the trailer Rockstar level without using famous tune or over the top dub with punchline.

Actually, the lighting during the day is what I least liked from the trailer. Is the typical piss filter + overblown reflections I'm tired of seeing this generation.

Nikodemos

I liked what I saw. I'm honestly tired of the same old drab night-time, rain, smog fest that passes for 'standard' cyberpunk.
Thing is, if a city were to run on fusion (or even nuclear) power, and transportation is electric-everything, you don't have that much smog. And if the city isn't placed in an arid locale, you won't have that much dust either.
As for factories, I can see them located far from cities, to reduce the risk of "undesirable elements" causing problems (like theft, sabotage or general vandalism). After all, they don't need workers, since they're automated.

cm osi

i give it a 5. always sunny in philadelphia + no gameplay or ingame at all, after all this time
the punks almost looks like the rage 2 trailer video

Ohh well guess I have to bu the new Nvidia GPUs when it comes out haha.
Looks really good, but I would love to see the enivroment being a little bit darker in my humble opinion

You are criticizing it based on 5 shots of city in trailer mostly from one place and some outskirts. Based on what ?
That there is actually day in city.

CB is not BD nor Dredd or Robocop. Stop imposing your BD idea of this world. Instead of talking bullshit just read lore first then come back and talk.

CB IS NOT BD.

I criticize CD Projekt on what they show, not on what might hypothetically be. It's necessary to point out things one's dissatisfied with during development, giving the developer time to deal with the feedback. Pretending "LALALALA ALL IS FINE THIS IS ALL GOOD. I AM SURE THEY WILL DO EVERYTHING PERFECT" is definitely not a way to give feedback. If CD projekt fails at showing a good cyberpunk representation, then it's necessary to point out. It's on them to show us something that stands out, but if people get a vibe closer to other either contemporal or just cartoony games, then CD Projekt needs to make sure that they convey the world right. It's easy to go "it's not this, it's not this", but then the question suddenly comes up: "what is it then? Is it even cyberpunk as we care for anymore?"

Also, what the hell are you doing with the acronyms or abbreviations?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Looked ok I guess, would need to see it in action before actually judging it positively or negatively. I gave it a 5 as a result.

Last edited:

Gorgon

Just my two cents, but I think some people here are missing the point. There is no real question that this is going to be a great game given who the developers are, and there's nothing in the trailer that indicates this isn't "cyberpunk". The problem for some people, me included, is just one of expectations regarding tone and aesthetics. If you look a the old trailer and the artwork/wallpapers released at the time, it screamed Cyberpunk 2020, Gibson's The Sprawl, Bladerunner, GitS, etc. Basically, dark and foreboding. What we see in this trailer, and ironically I was thinking exactly what William Gibson was saying in twitter, is a game that seems made for the GTA crowd. If I looked at that trailer without knowing anything, it would have crossed my mind if Rockstar had gone futuristic with the next GTA. And for me, as for others, that is a big disappointment. And coming from CD Project, I expected more.

Sure, the world will be huge. Sure, GTA are great games. Sure, the game will be an excellent RPG with tons of customisation and content, CD Project style. And sure, there's nothing wrong with making a cyberpunk game with such aesthetics and tone. But it just isn't what I was expecting for Cyberpunk 2077. Hence, disappointed.

Last edited:

KevinKeene

Banned
Just my two cents, but I think some people here are missing the point. There is no real question that this is going to be a great game given who the developers are, and there's nothing in the trailer that indicates this isn't "cyberpunk". The problem for some people, me included, is just one of expectations regarding tone and aesthetics. If you look a the old trailer and the artwork/wallpapers released at the time, it screamed Cyberpunk 2020, Gibson's The Sprawl, Bladerunner, GitS, etc. Basically, dark and foreboding. What we see in this trailer, and ironically I was thinking exactly what William Gibson was saying in twitter, is a game that seems made for the GTA crowd. If I looked at that trailer without knowing anything, it would have crossed my mind if Rockstar had gone futuristic with the next GTA. And for me, as for others, that is a big disappointment. And coming from CD Project, I expected more.

Sure, the world will be huge. Sure, GTA are great games. Sure, the game will be an excellent RPG with tons of customisation and content, CD Project style. And sure, there's nothing wrong with making a cyberpunk game with such aesthetics and tone. But it just isn't what I was expecting for Cyberpunk 2077. Hence, disappointed.

That's a good description. It looks like GTA 2077, not so much Cyberpunk 2077. Which would also be a good game. But I wanted a denser city with more verticality. What's in the trailer looks like a regular city with accessories.

Inuteu

At first the tonal shift took me by surprise, but that trailer is so chock-full of little amazing details, it gets only better after each viewing.

Took some screenshots from the 4K trailer and tried to catch the crispest frames, but it's not perfect and imgur compression sucks. Sorry if the quality isn't up to par.
SIoA6Xk.jpg

GaDWECk.jpg

PGRVPjA.jpg

11a4Zoy.jpg

hVOH2bV.jpg

dk9Trey.jpg

VKj9wrG.jpg

pQj0Cl6.jpg

8ssRLjE.jpg

AU736k9.jpg

Looks very cyberpunk to me, can't wait to see more! My augmented body is ready to immerse itself in its nightmarish corporate driven sprawling technoslums.

this looks awesome

cant believe that people are complaining about this

maybe they expect the same old dark rainy Blade Runner carbon copy that infested sci-fi for so many years

-MD-

this looks awesome

cant believe that people are complaining about this

maybe they expect the same old dark rainy Blade Runner carbon copy that infested sci-fi for so many years

That's exactly what it is actually, 95% of the bitching going on is because it's too "bright", too "colorful".

The sun exists in the future, shocking. Their next major trailer is going to be at night time with rain pouring down and neon signs glowing everywhere, and the people crying are going to go apeshit, guaranteed.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
TRIGGER WARNING:

I just got word that the game is locked into a permanent daylight cycle and the weather never changes, therefore no rain. Also, this game, which nobody here has played yet and is being made by a well known Action RPG developer, most definitely plays like a GTA clone, including the parody humour. Might have a bit of Fortnite and Overwatch in there too. And don’t forget Battle Royale.

You have been warned.

Paracelsus

All I can say is that it looks a boring ass world that doesn't make me wanna explore it one bit, much like any GTA, any Watch Dogs, any game of the genre. I'm surprised there wasn't any Hot Topic around and the Young Bucks weren't training in that gym. If the roleplay is good then fine, if the bulk of the product is go around in a boring ass world, fight things and buy things to attach to your avatar so you can shoot bigger things, then I'd rather have nothing to do with it.

Also, I'd tone the sarcasm down because if there's one thing they're not known for, it's the combat. The average combat of all three Witcher is...tolerable at best.

xool

Some of this reaction reminds me of the Diablo 3 reveal - "Too many rainbows" and "Diablo: My Little Pony Edition"

They put neon lighting in their demo, they're paying the price.

vpance

Some of this reaction reminds me of the Diablo 3 reveal - "Too many rainbows" and "Diablo: My Little Pony Edition"

They put neon lighting in their demo, they're paying the price.

And in the end it was a real travesty. I highly doubt this will turn out like the D3 situation.

I'd give at least 999/1000 for this trailer. Can't believe they smashed my expectations. Absolutely can't wait for more news, pics, gameplay from CP77.

Top Bottom