• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Cyberpunk 2077 – E3 2018 Trailer

What rating would you give to this trailer

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 1 0.3%

Votes: 7 2.4%

Votes: 6 2.0%

Votes: 14 4.7%

Votes: 21 7.1%

Votes: 32 10.8%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 55 18.6%

Votes: 98 33.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I took some notes from the IGN interview: -

• FP because they are going for immersion in the world.
  • FP..but, not a FPS it is a RPG with shooter elements.
  • Deep progression system. Sounds like a combo of skills, equipment and cybernetic enhancements.
  • The player takes on the role of V, a hardened male/female urban mercenary who takes on tough assignments.
  • Despite being in FP, you get full character customisation in terms of your look. I guess you see yourself in cutscenes/cinematics in places...as in TW3.
  • How you definite your lifepath (backstory) dictates your starting abilities etc, however, the game isn't following the PNP game in terms of you having a starting class, so you're not locked into a particular progression route. A more fluid approach.
  • Use of daytime in trailer was a deliberate choice to demonstrate range, as they already know they can do the BR moody nighttime look.
  • Emphasis is on Noir as the game itself in terms of story, missions, tone etc and not just look.
  • Full day/night and weather systems
  • A lot of lore aspects from CP 2020 PnP lore and some characters in the game. In terms of the classes, although they aren't going with classes for PnP fans they are taking a lot of leads from the 'Net Runner' 'Techie' & 'The Solo'in terms of skill pools/abilities though it's not exclusive. You'll encounter 'Rockerboy' and 'Corporate' archetypes as NPCs.
  • Lots of lessons learnt from Witcher 3 in terms of Choice and consequence. Big emphasis on storytelling and RPG.
  • Not a save the world story.
  • Ranged and Melee combat. Obviously Melee FP required a rethink of how things were done in TW3.
  • 3 main weapon types. Power. Tech and Smart weapons, the latter will be more track and follow type weapons.
  • Combat will cater towards those who want a bit of twitch.
  • Vehicles. Motorbikes and cars for sure. No commitments on other vehicles just yet so flying cars might be strictly moving wallpaper/set pieces
  • V is voiced
  • Background and interaction choices will shape V as a character (presumably in how characters react to you).
  • Night City heavily inspired by LA, San Diego & San Franciso.
  • City divided into 6 unique districts.
  • Emphasis on verticality to the environments with megabuildings that have multiple usages.
  • No level scaling. Standard experience and street cred. Different missions garner different amounts. Street cred gives you access to certain people etc like mission givers (fixers) as you progress.
Juicy details but it's a bummer we get a fully voiced main character. I was dearly hoping for a blank character creation like in TES where the main character doesn't speak but is.... well.... you. :(

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Juicy details but it's a bummer we get a fully voiced main character. I was dearly hoping for a blank character creation like in TES where the main character doesn't speak but is.... well.... you. :(
As long as the male voice doesn't sound like someone who just awoke from a coma (aka Geralt) I'm good.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Reyziak

ITT: A whole lot of people who know what they like and what not.

As I said, it'll likely be a great game. But most people expected something more like Bladerunner, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, etc.. That trailer didn't transport that atmosphere.

Don't be so tense. It's a first impression. It'll change. :)
Well yeah, the game is based on the Cyberpunk 2020 Tabletop RPG, not Blade Runner or its imitators(which are more Noir stories in a Cyberpunk setting), of course it didn't feel like Blade Runner.
It's so bright. I want a more Blade Runner vibe when it's always dark. I need to see more of the game in the dark.
Not based on Blade Runner, based on the tabletop RPG Cyberpunk 2020, which was very different from Blade Runner.

Kadayi

Banned
Some initial first impressions from VG 24/7

https://www.vg247.com/2018/06/12/cy...dont-worry-rpg/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Other things to note? You can switch to a third person perspective when behind the wheel of a vehicle, as you explore the six different districts of Night City.

You play as V, a predefined character of sorts, but she/he is very customisable. We’re talking everything from gender to tattoos, cybernetic implants, weapons and skills.

So cars = 3rd person option (thank god)

Demo (50 minutes) clearly shows robust character creation at least

Horns

The impressions have me more exited than the trailer does. Not that it is bad, but I didn't know what to take from it.

Reyziak

It was you who mentioned "cyberpunk genre" in your post.

Also, William Gibson had this to say about the trailer:
"The trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 strikes me as GTA skinned-over with a generic 80s retro-future, but hey, that's just me"

All I am saying is that there are many of us that expected something different from the game. That doesn't make anybody right or wrong. You might like it for all the right reasons, but there are also plenty of reasons for criticism.

Peace.
Dude, this is based on a tabletop RPG called Cyberpunk 2020 that emphasized the Cyber and the Punk(mostly punk), over the Cyber Noir that was Blade Runner and its derivatives, accept that.

More pictures from the game that weren't in the trailer:

ofIGPxe.jpg

Info brochure given after the demo to Jesse Cox:

ki5QZ7k.jpg

Some gameplay info:

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Things are moving so fast and I missed it!

Nah. I just feel like someone on twitter was cribbing me is all ;)

Anyhows found this lengthy trailer breakdown (over an hour) from some dude who seems pretty knowledgeable about the PnP and goes super in-depth about various stuff: -

A slightly shorter video (30 mins) from another PnP duder here: -

Last edited:

7he Talon

This got me more hyped. I'm interested to see what the horizontal nature of the world feel like to play in, particularly if there is a lot of inside buildings gameplay. A huge part of exploration in games like the Witcher 3 is seeing something in the distance and wanting to go to it to check it out. Hopefully they can capture this in a sprawling city setting.

Paracelsus

FPS sure makes it more personal, as in "this is personal". I skipped RE7 for the same reason.

Last edited:

Superman0

Some more from the IGN story :
  • You can engage in combat while driving -- AI took over steering as you lean out the window and shoot at enemies
That's helpful.

Also. On a personal note. Fuck FPS, Fuck My LIfe, LOL.

Seriously, I don't understand why they can't give you an option to play in third person. I get a terrible headache when I play in fps for a few hours, so I avoid those type of games. Man It sucks that I won't be able to play this game, since it was one of my most anticipated game.

Paracelsus

It's not a first-person shooter as it can also be played using a melee. It's a first person rpg

I know what the game is supposed to be, I automatically skip every game other than straight-up dudebro fps that doesn't provide a proper third person option. I just don't feel them.

Maybe if the VR was affordable and this was a fully compatible VR game.

The gameplay sounds great so far:

- really like that it's using a lot of PnP archetypes, and especially the mention of Rockerboys and Corporates
- big reason I still replay Shadowrun (Sega) is how different it can be do play it as a street samurai (combat) and as a decker (hacker)
- combined with the reputation system (street cred) and dialogue system, really looking forward to a pure-combat playthrough versus trying to play it purely as a corporate netrunner/avoiding combat.

- really big for me that there are cars. even if not GTA level, just it being Roach levels of customization is a big add. having a simple apartment (home hub) and car (personal customizable car) could be easily big for post-ending free roam (or online.../MP/whatever)

- emphasis on the 'flash' of 'loot' (gadgets, cars, designer clothes, etc) for the reputation system sounds both great for sort of addictive progression but also very Cyberpunk 2020.

- first-person... gotta admit at first I was thinking, I wish we could choose... for the same reason I like third-person in both Witcher 3 and GTA V...
- but, gotta admit, imagine Deus Ex in third-person... or as anyone that plays a lot of GTA V in first-person, it does wonders for immersion and bring dense detail to life
- so I think I'm pretty open to it

Biggest hope is what they let us do post-ending or in free roam... my favorite cyberpunk esque games, from Shadowrun (Sega) to Syndicate, the thing that brings me back is just being able to do simple missions over and over or raid megacorp HQs or whatever. Whether it's free roam for single-player purely or as part of their MP/online (a la GTA Online), hope we get some sort of random mission generator -- randomly generated corp HQ, retrieve a package, etc. doesn't have to be huge (especially at release) and not at the cost of a great SP story, but really hope we get a reason to keep playing it for a long time.

longdi

Banned
FPP is shit bad, motion sickness and tunnel in view. Meh i cant imagine TW3 in FP, it will lose a lot of the cinematic world beauty to me. Fuck off CDPR, where can i give them a feedback?

Grinchy

Banned
I know we're being told it's a current gen game but why do I get the feeling that it's meant more for next-gen. Those screens just look like they'd choke a PS4 to death.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I know we're being told it's a current gen game but why do I get the feeling that it's meant more for next-gen. Those screens just look like they'd choke a PS4 to death.
One of the hands on impressions I read had the comment: “If Cyberpunk isn’t a cross-gen game appearing on the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett then I’ll eat my cybernetic implants”. Referring to how good it looks.

longdi

Banned
Too bad it is FP, all that beautiful environment is going to look caved in.

Dibils2k

People really making a huge deal of the FPS before even seeing the game or how its utilized?? there is a reason its not Witcher 4

How about trust the designers who made some of the best games of all time??? if they say FPS fits this game better than i will go with that. People just seem to assume "its witcher 3 in FPS"... which is deluded

Last edited:

Makariel

Too bad it is FP, all that beautiful environment is going to look caved in.
One might argue it's intentional, since Cyberpunk does not want you to feel free, it wants you to feel you are caved into a corner, ready to be shot like a rat by some corporate solo with a heart made from cold, liquid metal.

MadYarpen

I am fine with FP design - wise, I can understand it is better for the game and immersion. If the engine is suited for that, I am not worried about the presentation of the world a lot. Even if I prefer 3rdP.

However, with FP you are wasting a lot of melee combat potential - I mean you can't see a lot. We will see how they made it though.

What I really don't like with FP is that I suck at playing FP games with controller :D

If not with a First Person view, how would you do a manually controlled real time gun combat in 3D environment that probably has flying enemies?

julio_grr

They say FPP is better for the verticality of the world and I trust them.
It can be huge if done properly. You may see you in mirrors and reflections. NPC may react to the way you look, making comments on your props, clothes, choices of colors or whatever (Like in H:ZD when you wear some particular armors - but better of course.) And with proper full body awareness (we need to see our feet when looking down), it can be perfect.

Apart from that, the first previews look gorgeous. It'll probably be a PS5 game though.

longdi

Banned
People really making a huge deal of the FPS before even seeing the game or how its utilized?? there is a reason its not Witcher 4

How about trust the designers who made some of the best games of all time??? if they say FPS fits this game better than i will go with that. People just seem to assume "its witcher 3 in FPS"... which is deluded

What's wrong with TW3 in TPS set in futuristic cyberpunk world. We don't have such settings, but plenty of futuristic FPS.

One might argue it's intentional, since Cyberpunk does not want you to feel free, it wants you to feel you are caved into a corner, ready to be shot like a rat by some corporate solo with a heart made from cold, liquid metal.
I think that is better done in TPS imo, like MGsV and Splinter cell. Fps just suck out all the actions beside jump and shoot.

Going to give this a miss unti they patched it in some cheaper anniversary edition.

Makariel

I think that is better done in TPS imo, like MGsV and Splinter cell. Fps just suck out all the actions beside jump and shoot.
I always found that TP gives an unfair advantage over the AI in any game with stealth. If you can turn the camera so that you see around the corner without risk of detection it trivializes things. Vampire: Bloodlines was FP, worked great as an RPG!

julio_grr

What's wrong with TW3 in TPS set in futuristic cyberpunk world.
I don't understand such statements when it comes to design and artistic choices. They clearly stated that it was better for the verticality of the world and to convey the vision they have about the immersion and such.
It's like wanting to play a racing game with a 2D view from the top.

I always found that TP gives an unfair advantage over the AI in any game with stealth. If you can turn the camera so that you see around the corner without risk of detection it trivializes things. Vampire: Bloodlines was FP, worked great as an RPG!
yeah, as much as I love MGS V's camera and controls -- and I do think it's overall the smoothest and most traversing infiltration game around -- it never quite has the same intensity as the best 'stealth' games...

what I mean by that distinction is that in terms of infiltration, I mean the broader ability to move and traverse through an environment... the way Venom slides in and out of cover, through windows, below lights, in and out of kneeling or prone -- I think we all know how smooth that combines to make satisfying infiltration

but by stealth, or just hiding, I mean really just each individual moment of hiding and the intensity or tension of it.

and for me, none of my favorite stealth or hiding games are third-person, even though some of my favorite 'infiltration' games are. namely, Thief 2.

further, the two non-first person that really compete there for me, I'm going to seperate it from traditional third-person: Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 -- because of their constrained camera

in all three of those cases, there's a constraining of your ability to see that creates uncertainty, insecurity, and even a bit of claustrophobia in the latter case.

and, though I do think third-person with traditional cameras can still make great stealth games (e.g. from Tenchu through to MGS V), my favorite tension in stealth games does come from games that do try to reign in your ability to see.

I'm still sort of on the fence because in terms of create-a-character customization and armor/outfit loot/customization, I do enjoy seeing my character (though on the flip side, in TPS games I usually underappreciate the weapon art -- so I guess it depends on where the 'item' focus is)... on one hand, I do know I prefer third-person for anything with more countryside 'space' and travel -- GTA V, MGS V, Witcher 3, etc. but the more I think of my favorite city games, most are first-person. and, in particular, the more I reflect on exploring or stealthing through Detroit and Hengsha in Deus Ex HR, in particular, or in general Deus Ex, Vampire TM as you said, Thief 2, etc, the more I'm kind of excited that this is first-person.

Darak

I'm actually more interested in the game knowing it is played in first person. This looks like it is going to be Deus Ex all over again.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I was thinking FPP would be bad due to the constrained FOV, but when you start to think of the verticality and the fact that you will often have tall buildings to either side of you obscuring FOV anyway it makes sense.

Last edited:

xool

..They clearly stated that it was better for the verticality of the world and to convey the vision they have about the immersion and such.

mmh that's an argument that they'll need some in-game footage/demos to win me over with.

Playing the original Assassin's Creed climbing the cathedral at Acre gave me real vertigo .. that's a game that's all about verticality. (TP obviously)

As for immersion generally - ok I get the argument, but if they have mechanisms like people's reactions depending on what I'm wearing it's better for feedback if you can see what you are wearing when the react. Having to go to a menu to remind yourself what you put on is not immersive ..

..usually FP is pretty bad at giving the player a view of themselfs, but I can see >50% of myself in an instant just by looking down..

I'm also having a real-head shaking time explaining the contradictions between investing time in making a fully customizable core character, a full range of clothing and body modifications, and not being able to see any of that most of the time.. It's not an insignificant effort or cost for that ..

I really don't have a problem with FP view, but having substantial key features of the game 3D-modelled only to be visible in menus (and maybe in-game mirrors) seems nuts right now

Last edited:
Top Bottom