• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Dead or Alive 6 - Reveal Trailer

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am hyped. Love DoA and I can't wait to get more. The costumes look great, as does the animations and zones. Here's hopin' they don't screw it up.

cireza

Banned
these slow motions interrupt gameplay
Yes. Awful, but this is Team Ninja, pretty sure that we will be able to disable this kind of shit.

Game looks promising, DoA5 is still my favorite 3D fighter.

Last edited:

Pejo

Reveal video showing mostly guy characters and covered up female characters? Oh they're definitely going to charge a TON for DLC costumes on this one.

Looks fantastic. Out of all the fighters, I feel like this is the easiest series to pick up and play and button mash to victory when playing with friends (that aren't FGC champions). I had a ton of good times playing DoA3 with drinking buddies.

Oh shit, this came out of nowhere!
It looks pretty good. Not much better than DoA5, but I think that game still looks great.
Its coming to Steam? Excellent. If the devs wont bring the sexy girls, the modders will.
PC/console cross play would be sweet, but probably too much to hope for.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Everyone show their games before e3. C'mon I want some surprise! Anyway looking good and same release date on PC, nice!

MayauMiao

Maybe its me but the characters in DoA6 does show more facial expressions. Depth of field is plenty and the stage looks more alive than the bland empty ones from previous series. Really hope they do better single player story line.

I expect shit tons of costume DLCs.

Kreydo

Woa... after Soul Calibur V we have another lazy studio for this gen that reuse his asset, his texture and his animation to just call it a "new" game... I guess people will have to re-buy all those costume.

It's funny because people were very critisim about SFV(with reason at release) but it's the only game who didn't used old gen stuff, and came with a new art design.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Woa... after Soul Calibur V we have another lazy studio for this gen that reuse his asset, his texture and his animation to just call it a "new" game... I guess people will have to re-buy all those costume.

It's funny because people were very critisim about SFV(with reason at release) but it's the only game who didn't used old gen stuff, and came with a new art design.

Textures? No.

Animations? A lot of animation probably has been resued/reworked, but you have to realize how much it would cost to remake the animations, especially in a 3D fighting game.

If the game introduces a higher technical skill ceiling than previous ones (double-fireball motions, more just frames etc), it could be so much fun.

Why is Kasumi wearing a wetsuit? Hope she has her traditional outfit as well. (without having to pay money for it)

If the gameplay is good and it has a good netcode, a good training mode and a good single player experience, then I'm in day one. I've always been a Tekken and Dead Or Alive person, with me favoring Bruce, Paul & Nina in Tekken and Jann Lee & Kasumi in DOA.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Kasumi hair texture is exactly the same during the close up. (I'm not talking about the res obviously.)

around ~60$ in shop and 200 costumes at 5$ ?
Just because it looks similar, that doesn't mean it's the same. DOA 5 was made before 2012, they're obviously going to make a higher resolution texture instead of upscaling it to met current generation standards.

The game also has thousands of moves compared to a game like SFV, so it's best to reuse some animation\rework them to save on production cost.

Just rewatched it, I don't really like the camera in this one. Hopefully it's only for the trailer that it's so ridiculously close (I know, it zooms in closer when close to each other, but I feel like it looks ridiculously close at some of those moments). I don't think the dark stage is a good choice for DOA, and it seems detrimental to a focus on a serious fighting game. The contextual actions is something I definitely don't want if it's attempting to be more serious and it's giving me Injustice vibes, which is definitely something I want to avoid. The slow motion I seriously hope is just for the effect of the trailer.

I'll be skeptical and await further information. After rewatching it a couple of times, my excitement has dwindled a bit.

EDIT: And yeah, it seemed a bit too two dimensional as well in the trailer.

Last edited:

Aggelos

A bunch of screenshots

doa6-kasumi-ss1-1528465436098_1280w.jpg

doa6-helena-ss1-1528465436095_1280w.jpg

doa6-breakblow4-1528465436104_1280w.jpg

doa6-stage-colosseum-001-a-1528465436104_1280w.jpg

doa6-fatalassault4-1528465436111_1280w.jpg

doa6-crowddanger2-1528465436108_1280w.jpg

doa6-breakhold2-1528465436106_1280w.jpg

doa6-stage-backstreet-001-a-1528465436101_1280w.jpg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/08/dead-or-alive-6-announced

nkarafo

They still look like puppets or dolls.

I get these games are stylized but where are the fighting games that look photorealistic? I know the tech allows it since sport games do look like that (MMA and boxing games)

Dunki

Yeah Sorry but I will pass. Lets see how far they can come with positive gaming "journalists" approval vs actual gamer playing the game.

Last edited:
Yeah Sorry but I will pass. Lets see how far they can come with positive gaming "journalists" approval vs actual gamer playing the game.

I slow-mo'ed the trailer. There's still jiggle. That big breasts jiggle exaggeratedly is pretty realistic, or it's more like they jump around and jiggle a bit before they calm down, but large movements is pretty standard. More so, if that's the approach, they'd look pretty hypocritical, considering, almost all the men being scantily dressed and Helena showing cleavage and thighs. If Kasumi is going to wear a wetsuit I'm definitely going to be disappointed though. Also, no, she doesn't look like a warrior at all in the trailer. She fights like one as she always has.

I doubt they're really taking that approach, but there's big problems gameplay-wise with the trailer that I've noted that makes it seem like a hard pass for me.

Last edited:
IGN hands on.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...-on-can-team-ninja-balance-familiar-and-fresh

Super meter, and what sounds like basically a auto combo button on the shoulders is the big new additions (or as they put it, so a casual can at least have fun and do something cool even when they lose to better players). Super meter of course can either be used for the new version of power blows (break blow), or a counter version (break hold). They said single player is more popular than multiplayer (Maximillian said the same thing the other night about fighters, and of course Ed Boon), and will put a focus on that, already confirmed story, arcade, training, and some all new stuff they will reveal in the future, so at least one Japanese fighting game developer isn't a total moron in this regard. A Japanese fighting developer wanting some casual appeal yet actually knows what casuals actually want, how about that.

Of course the sexualization decrease, which is kind of funny since they said the same about DOA5, then went back on it because hardly any pre-existing fans actually wanted that. Helena's revealed outfit is actually sexier than her defaults in vanilla DOA5, so we'll see. Also Kasumi's outfit in this is basically a redesigned version of her DOA5 story outfit since I see people talking about it, she should have a update of her classic blue outfit + white variation as well, like Jann and Zack's design.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

They're basically removing what the series is known for. Feels they don't know their audience. DoA, as a fighting game, isn't on the same ground as SF, Tekken or Soul Calibur.
I think there's a place for realism and a place for dumb, fun, giggle physics. They're only removing diversity. This forced PC culture is a disaster on artistic freedom.

Oh well, I'm not a fan of DoA, in any case.

IGN hands on.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06...-on-can-team-ninja-balance-familiar-and-fresh

Super meter, and what sounds like basically a auto combo button on the shoulders is the big new additions (or as they put it, so a casual can at least have fun and do something cool even when they lose to better players). Super meter of course can either be used for the new version of power blows (break blow), or a counter version (break hold). They said single player is more popular than multiplayer (Maximillian said the same thing the other night about fighters, and of course Ed Boon), and will put a focus on that, already confirmed story, arcade, training, and some all new stuff they will reveal in the future, so at least one Japanese fighting game developer isn't a total moron in this regard. A Japanese fighting developer wanting some casual appeal yet actually knows what casuals actually want, how about that.

Ugh, not liking this. Auto-combo is a terrible thing, I'd rather have them do a simple mode, that focuses on playing the game in a more basic fashion, than just doing an auto-combo button. Also, not a fan of supermeters in DOA.

Good.

I'm more worried about things like the contextual stuff, the terrible dark stages, the apparent flatness of the gameplay, awkwardly close camera at times and slow motion. It's definitely not a good look for what I like about Dead Or Alive.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the whole "sexiness toned down" is a pure marketing ploy (and doesn't seem to be true, see Helena or the sweaty almost naked men), but it doesn't really matter (though what else do they have to bring to the table that won't make it harder for the general audience to separate it from a Tekken game), what matters is that it seems to be pretty unimpressive for me as a DOA game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
omfg that DOF bullshit and ugly as hell skin textures.
they look plastic.
i remember when fighting games would push gaming gfx.

lol

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more

Didn’t DOA5 originally take this approach? They toned things down a bit and then all the crazy costumes were later added as DLC.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
Looks terrible, Team Ninja Dog isn't able to create a good DoA game without Itagaki and his team.
More like Itagaki can't create anything good without Tecmo-Koei haha, plz...
Surprised it was announced already, hopefully it's not butchered and/or a proper native 4K version is released when next-gen hits here.

LUXURY

My my my. I’m hyped. I hope to god they can secure the rights to put the Virtua Fighter characters in it again. Felt so good to play Sarah Bryant again.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Looks good, day one.
I hope they don't tone it down too much
It's part of DOA's charm and identity.
Toning down the OTT stuff is fine
And I don't mind them being more realistic.
But don't ruin it

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is it me or is one of them wearing Assassins Creed hoodie?

They still look like puppets or dolls.

I get these games are stylized but where are the fighting games that look photorealistic? I know the tech allows it since sport games do look like that (MMA and boxing games)
Well....you can always buy UFC games if you want realistic character models. None of the Japanese fighting ever had hyper realistic visuals.

xviper

DoA 5 was one of my favorite fighting games, amazing combat, and easy to learn
DoA 6 graphics doesn't seem to be improved from DoA 5 which is a 6 years old game

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
DoA 6 graphics doesn't seem to be improved from DoA 5 which is a 6 years old game
Really? I have DOA5 and I noticed straight away the improvements

cireza

Banned
Look closer, graphics are a lot better. Much more detail.

Top Bottom