• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Dead or Alive 6 - Reveal Trailer

NeoGIF

I'm sure they're just toning down all the sexiness to make it more appealing to the FGC as a more serious, competitive fighter.

CD'S BAR

looks great to me. wasn't expecting a reveal. less sexualized characters is meh but they still look pretty sexualized so hooray.

Darak

DOA5 is notorious because a lot of the fanservice is hidden behind expensive DLC. They've probably figured out they can release a base game tailored for journalists and feminists (who won't play the game anyway) while the players will still be willing to pay an extra to enjoy all the revealing costumes and such. It's probably going to backfire heavily, in both camps. Gamers will scream at the bullshit (well, DOA5 had it and they didn't, but the current climate is different) while the kind of people who won't approve a sexy game will always find another axe to grind, anyway. Your women won't wear anything sexy? Sorry, but they still have big breasts (sexist), or they are slim (fat-shaming), or they are fat (also fat-shaming), or they are white (racist), or they are not white (cultural appropriation), etc.

This is a battle you can't win, so the best thing to do is duck and hope you pass under the radar. Calling for attention with that kind of twitter post is a very bad move.

Kreydo

So we have virtual female fighter wearing more clothe than any female fighter frow WWE or MMA in REAL LIFE. But well still have topless male or male only wearing a sport short.
Look smart and balanced to me... I guess censors and hypocrits won again.

Jezan

I think it looks pretty cool, the style in 5 was a big improvement over 4, so now fine tuning it is the best approach, no?

I slow-mo'ed the trailer. There's still jiggle. That big breasts jiggle exaggeratedly is pretty realistic, or it's more like they jump around and jiggle a bit before they calm down, but large movements is pretty standard. More so, if that's the approach, they'd look pretty hypocritical, considering, almost all the men being scantily dressed and Helena showing cleavage and thighs. If Kasumi is going to wear a wetsuit I'm definitely going to be disappointed though. Also, no, she doesn't look like a warrior at all in the trailer. She fights like one as she always has.

I doubt they're really taking that approach, but there's big problems gameplay-wise with the trailer that I've noted that makes it seem like a hard pass for me.
Mayebe you don't know what sexualized mean, men in the game are not sexualized, if they were they would be fighting in thongs where we could see a giant bulge with jiggle physics, or maybe leather chaps. But no, they are just shirtless.

Last DOA I bought was 2. This looks good but I will pass again.
Then what do you want in the game if you already skipped 3-5? Just want to complain?
So we have virtual female fighter wearing more clothe than any female fighter frow WWE or MMA in REAL LIFE. But well still have topless male or male only wearing a sport short.
Look smart and balanced to me... I guess censors and hypocrits won again.
This is the first time you complain about games being closer to RL? Were you complaining about it when the women in the game had less clothes (cause I don't think so) ????

Last edited:

Kreydo

Mayebe you don't know what sexualized mean, men in the game are not sexualized, if they were they would be fighting in thongs where we could see a giant bulge with jiggle physics, or maybe leather chaps. But no, they are just shirtless.
No, it's only what your puritan ideology is hammering in your head.

Jezan

No, it's only what your puritan ideology is hammering in your head.
Nah. I have been wanting scantily clad men since I customization became a thing, but never had the dick bouncing in a fighting game, because people like you would feel uncomfortable about it. :(

Kreydo

9823C97D411B59CD3B489136E15DEFE5870AB863

Perfectly fine for everybody.(I think it too)

latest

OMG woman buttcheek! it's over sexualised since it's a woman, please censor! (happened on ESPN)

Do you understand the whole point? It's about the vision you have of woman. When you see some woman skin and come to the conclusion that it's "sexualized" it's because you deeply think as them as sexual object and not human being.
Oh and yeah boobs jiggle in real life too, it's called physics not "sexualisation".

Last edited:

Graven

Looks really nice, last DoA i played was on dreamcast and i had a lot of fun. I always thought DoA fighting games were very fun and didn't need to rely on the sex appeal, i'm glad they are toning that down.

Isa

I am hesitantly looking forward to it. DoA is my favorite fighter, I stupidly bought most of the dlc for my girl and I. Seriously, she loves the sexiness and options, as do I of course. Hopefully its not gone, though like others have mentioned it'll probably be behind a paywall again. Such a shame. I'm interested to see how this will be marketed in Japan, if it is noticeably different then I may import.

PsyEd

Like it already...not another unreal engine based game. Hope someday a new Ninja Giaden 4 show up...

I was a huge DOA fan from 1 through 4. Although 5 was abysmal, I’m hopeful they can get it back on form.

Last edited:

KAOS

DOA 5 FR still visually puts most 3D fighters to shame( I'm looking at you vaseline smeared last gen none enhanced Tekken 7)!

Bring on DOA6!

It's more like you don't know what it means. If the men in the game aren't sexualized, then neither are the women. We don't see camel toes, which would be the equivalent of a bulge. Everyone's wearing pretty normal beach costumes.
Consider Jann Lee's Costume 8 in DOA5, if that isn't sexualized, then neither is a woman fighting in a bikini.
That's without considering that women and men have both breasts and that women find men's breasts as something sexual as well. There are even women promoting showing breasts as something that should equally be acceptable for women. There are cultures where breasts showing for men and women are pretty normal. There are cultures where showing your thigh or knee is highly sexually loaded or even your shin. There are women that idolize a nice muscular body and get all hot and bothered by it, just look at BTS "Fake Love" and all the female reactors on YouTube going crazy over seeing part of someone's abs for a second. If you're talking about genitals, then DOA doesn't show either. You might've had an argument if it was DOA Extreme, where some of the risque costumes would fall within this, but that's a whole other thing. If you want a bulge that moves, that's fine as well, though they never move as much as breasts do. Someone pretending that "sexualized" is an actual argument that doesn't require backing up with examples and line of reasoning, that's just ridiculous. Most often it just becomes reduced to "I think this is sexualized and this is not".

Just to point it out:

028.jpg

"Totally not sexualized." It's spelled H-Y-P-O-C-R-I-S-Y.

Atrus

Gold Member
To be quite honest, I enjoy the series for its scantily clad fighters and boob physics. Last Round was even better since it incorporated Virtua Fighter characters, and I don’t need an excuse to play with VF characters.

This one seems to lack both.

What I’m really waiting for is another Virtua Fighter.

Shouta

To be quite honest, I enjoy the series for its scantily clad fighters and boob physics. Last Round was even better since it incorporated Virtua Fighter characters, and I don’t need an excuse to play with VF characters.

This one seems to lack both.

What I’m really waiting for is another Virtua Fighter.

It would be pretty funny if the series decided to become even more Virtua Fighter like as the games have similar DNA.

The game is totally gonna get a lot of costume DLC just like DOA5 had. There's no doubt about it and they'll release an updated version with a ton of costumes automatically unlocked later as well. I hope they make a solid effort in the SP and MP aspects in addition to making the fighting system even better.

Cool. Hoping for a couple new characters with a good budget put into their move-sets/animations and stories/lore. I'd like more variety in characters such as cute girls with various skin tones, different body types, and breast sizes around the middle (like B-cups), plus different kinds of handsome guys like a young shy black dude opposite of Zack, or even a male counter part to Marie Rose. Not just simply 'diversity', but 'variety' so we can have fun with new move-sets tailored to a new character from the ground up, have some new fun or interesting character dialogue interactions in tag fights, and maybe have a higher chance of finding characters that attracts our various tastes in fighting styles, background stories, and/or eye candy.

Also hoping for some cool new stages with new hazards to be wary of. And of course, as always, we want some cool and sexy new battle costumes. We know quite a bit will be coming in the form of DLC soon after launch. It's a matter of when, not if. DLC was where the money was at with DoA 5.

Paracelsus

Cool. Hoping for a couple new characters with a good budget put into their move-sets/animations and stories/lore. I'd like more variety in characters such as cute girls with various skin tones, different body types, and breast sizes around the middle (like B-cups), plus different kinds of handsome guys like a young shy black dude opposite of Zack, or even a male counter part to Marie Rose. Not just simply 'diversity', but 'variety' so we can have fun with new move-sets tailored to a new character from the ground up, have some new fun or interesting character dialogue interactions in tag fights, and maybe have a higher chance of finding characters that attracts our various tastes in fighting styles, background stories, and/or eye candy.

Also hoping for some cool new stages with new hazards to be wary of. And of course, as always, we want some cool and sexy new battle costumes. We know quite a bit will be coming in the form of DLC soon after launch. It's a matter of when, not if. DLC was where the money was at with DoA 5.

0y4l5NB.jpg

I was thinking of a kid with a near 12 year old appearance, bratty behavior, just as short, scrawny, and easy to underestimate, but I just looked up Eliot's age and he's 18 in DoA 5, same age as Marie Rose. lol Eliot looks pretty well built and capable, like a Football player outta high school. In DoA 4, he's 16. His ending movie has some of his childhood flash-backs featuring his training with Gen Fu:

I was thinking of a sort of troll character, since Marie still manages to get people peeved about her appearance in this series, but now I think a child male fighter would actually be pretty cool, like having someone like Aang from Avatar: The Last Airbender. But I don't know, since this one has slow-mo zoomed in face punches with a bit of blood, not sure how that would fly. Then again, is Marie Rose still gonna be in this while still looking so young?

A slightly older, more sporty, Marie Rose with a bit of muscle mass would probably look pretty cool though.

Last edited:

Kremzeek

Nope.
I still dislike the continued use of plastic-skinned doll esthetic for all these characters.
Very disappointed they can’t seem to move beyond that “style”.

It would be pretty funny if the series decided to become even more Virtua Fighter like as the games have similar DNA.

The game is totally gonna get a lot of costume DLC just like DOA5 had. There's no doubt about it and they'll release an updated version with a ton of costumes automatically unlocked later as well. I hope they make a solid effort in the SP and MP aspects in addition to making the fighting system even better.
They said in the IGN interview that single player is actually more popular than MP in fighters (which is true, contrary to what some devs and fanboys try and tell you) and they were making sure DOA6 had plenty. Confirmed story, arcade, training, and there will be other new SP modes they will announce in the future. Weird seeing a Japanese fighting game developer actually pay attention to facts. Almost as weird as Tekken and DOA now being flipped in sexualization.

Last edited:

cireza

They said in the IGN interview that single player is actually more popular than MP in fighters (which is true, contrary to what some devs and fanboys try and tell you) and they were making sure DOA5 had plenty. Confirmed story, arcade, training, and there will be other new SP modes they will announce in the future. Weird seeing a Japanese fighting game developer actually pay attention to facts. Almost as weird as Tekken and DOA now being flipped in sexualization.
I actually play all my fighters single player, and I play a ton of them. My favorite 2D one is KOF99 with Level 8 CPU. And for 3D, DoA5 was my go-to game. Going to buy DoA6 day one !

Some pretty great single player fighting games I also played a lot are the recent Mortal Kombat games, as well as Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 (not FS, the original one, which has a fantastic single player mode).

Last edited:

NahaNago

Visually I think it looks disappointing. I did notice that women seem to be more covered up which is just plain weird for doa game. I keep expecting lifelike folks for Japanese fighting games this gen but we keep on getting plastic looking people.

Future

Someone needs to innovate in this space. I like DOA but this looked stale to me. Not seeing anything too great graphically, gameplay looks the same style, and experience likely will be the same with a shit story

I suppose Injustice is the example of someone trying to do something different with story mode, upgrades and shit. I feel like I already own this DOA

What's some people's beef with Marie Rose btw? I can totally buy her being 18, since I know people who are that petite and I've seen 18 year olds and went to class with one who were the same height and had a young, round face.

What should be asked is why it's so hard to see if someone's asian or not. Especially eyes in DOA makes no sense. Can they please do something more with the eyes (and facial variation)? Also, I'd prefer more variation in skin color. Also, how about more B and C cups and women in their late 20s?

Last edited:

Breakage

Yeah Sorry but I will pass. Lets see how far they can come with positive gaming "journalists" approval vs actual gamer playing the game.

I'm not a fan of fighting games, but this is what the series is known for. It's pathetic to see all these companies cave in like this.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I'm not a fan of fighting games, but this is what the series is known for. It's pathetic to see all these companies cave in like this.

Its bizarre coming the developer that pioneered the breasts in fighting game.

At least we have Namco to look forward to.

Lupingosei

Banned

Games media really is completely crazy now. And if Team Ninja falls for this echo chamber, well I will not buy it.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
I think from a pragmatic point of view Darak's post #54 is pretty much the safe bet with what's happening here. However, there are already indications that this thread is headed towards the usual arguments of sexualization, female attire and equivalence. While we're happy to see these debates take place with both sides of the coin being argued in good faith, we'd like to avoid the situation where it infects every topic.

So if someone wants to put together a well constructed and fair post to start the debate that would be great. People constantly having these circular arguments in all threads drain all enthusiasm from what is meant to be an enjoyable way to spend some recreational time. While future titles should absolutely embrace the current climate going forward, established titles have their fanbases and target audiences and shouldn't let this compromise their original vision. The argument really centres around whether these 'progressive' changes actually entice fringe consumers to buy the titles now they have made changes. This also needs weighing against the loyal fanbase that could potentially walk away from the franchises.

Note, nothing is warranting action in this thread currently but we have been here before and really want to avoid a return. We'd like the threads about new games and reveals to be joyful threads, actually discussing the game, mechanics, new features and communities rather than turn into a thread where people are constantly told they are a scourge to society because they like the 'jiggle' physics of a title they've played for a decade. So, back on track where possible and if some humble soul wishes to start a balanced post on sexualization in gaming, please do so.

At least Namco give no shits what these certain whiny Westerners think. Harada still makes me laugh over his comments when asked about bikini costumes in Sexkken 7, and now we have JiggleCalibur VI. Then there is SNK......SNK REALLY gives no shits.

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
This is a battle you can't win, so the best thing to do is duck and hope you pass under the radar. Calling for attention with that kind of twitter post is a very bad move.

Why have a battle at all? Games media has no influence over gamers, pretty much everybody within the industry knows this. And nobody is demanding that all fighting games are like Dead or Alive. But people are allowed to buy the Playboy or look at beautiful virtual women in games like Dead or Alive. If you don't like it, don't buy it. It is like the whole Steam thing again.

If the sales are worse than DoA5, maybe Team Ninja will learn. Else people will move on.

Famitsu interview.... Tag Mode is being removed, no guests in base roster, and they said they're toning down the sexiness and going in this focus on cool direction because of…….esports players! Specifically comments from ones at Evo 2017. That might actually be a dumber reason than the one we thought.

Today the Japanese outlet Famitsu published an interview with Dead or Alive 6 Producer and Director Yohei Shimbori, talking about several aspects of the game.
Shimbori-san explained that the theme of the game is “fighting entertainment.” While the battles of the series have always been flashy, this time around the team wants them to be even more “fierce” challenging what was “taboo” before. For instance by adding dirt on the body and clothing of the fighters as they fight. One of such taboos was that the girls’ faces could not be hurt, but in this game, it will happen.​
In terms of visuals, the skin will be rendered more realistically, with sweat, shadows, and wrinkles enhanced from previous titles of the series. 4K will be supported, improving the looks of both stages and characters.​
Dead or Alive 6 won’t use the Soft Engine that powered Dead or Alive 5: Last Round and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. Another rendering engine is being used, which supports physical lighting differently that could not be included in DOA5, adding more realism to characters and environments.​
The number of moving parts for character models has been increased, adding expressiveness. You can see emotions like crying and laughing, but also reactions when hit in the face.​
The images of the characters will focus on “cool” as the team heard from the fans at EVO 2017 the opinion that the girls were a bit too sexy and it was embarrassing to play, the request was to make a game that look cooler. Team Ninja wants everyone to be proud of playing Dead or Alive.​
Shimbori-san also mentions a change in costumes, likening it to what happened to American movies, which he loves. Once upon a time female heroines wore sexy costumes that emphasized the curves of the body, while nowadays they’re changing to sharp and cool looks. That inspired how to pursue variety when designing the characters.​
That being said, Shimbori-san mentions that this isn’t to say that the girls won’t be cute or they won’t have sex appeal, but the focus is shifted on coolness, and he believes this will be a turning point for the series.​
We also hear that this time around there won’t be crossover characters at launch, as the team wants to focus on the worldview of Dead or Alive 6. As for what will happen post-launch, nothing has been decided yet.​
Of course, the ability to change costumes will also be included, and the art team is planning to work hard to create as many outfits as possible to include at launch. There will also be a story mode equivalent or superior to that of Dead or Alive 5.​
Training mode and photo mode are also in, but the gravure mode is not planned. This time it’s about taking cool pictures. There won’t be a tag battle mode, as the team is focusing all its resources on one vs one modes.​
https://www.dualshockers.com/dead-alive-6-wont-use-soft-engine/

Last edited:

MayauMiao

At least Namco give no shits what these certain whiny Westerners think. Harada still makes me laugh over his comments when asked about bikini costumes in Sexkken 7, and now we have JiggleCalibur VI. Then there is SNK......SNK REALLY gives no shits.
Famitsu interview.... Tag Mode is being removed, no guests in base roster, and they said they're toning down the sexiness because…….esports players! Specifically ones at Evo 2017. That might actually be a dumber reason than the one we thought.

https://www.dualshockers.com/dead-alive-6-wont-use-soft-engine/

They could have just add a feature like "Esport" mode to disable the breast physics and limit certain costumes. Ridiculous.

They could have just add a feature like "Esport" mode to disable the breast physics and limit certain costumes. Ridiculous.
Esports really is cancer. Rushed out incomplete day 1 games, poor single player content since esports players don't care about that stuff, and now total tone changes. BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle was just a unfinished single player day 1 game that flopped, but hey at least they got to put "in Evo lineup" on the box, right?

Dunki

What I just realized are they going to do this to female fighters as well? I can not imaging how this will end here

DfQdHNVUcAAxhos.jpg

Famitsu interview.... Tag Mode is being removed, no guests in base roster, and they said they're toning down the sexiness and going in this focus on cool direction because of…….esports players! Specifically comments from ones at Evo 2017. That might actually be a dumber reason than the one we thought.

This sounds ridiculous. It even makes no sense. I can't really buy someone thinking DOA being limited in the esports scene because of "sexiness". My impression is that it's always been because of its gameplay. Then I look at the trailer and understand even less how that's going to be something to appeal to esports. Auto-combo buttons. Slow motions effects. Sweaty bodies. Bad camera. Etc.
I think it would've been better to ditch DOA and just make a whole new fighting series instead, as this just seems weird. And instead made a DOA later and added crotch physics and ass physics and focused on its non-serious nature.

This seems like a mess the more I see, hear and think about it. Guess I'll play DOA2U or DOA5U instead.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned

It's a battle worth fighting, if you don't want to live in a thought-police reality.

What I just realized are they going to do this to female fighters as well? I can not imaging how this will end here

DfQdHNVUcAAxhos.jpg

I dont mind a bit of blood accompanying sexy girls (SFV would be better if Blanka and Vega shed some during their attacks), as long as the girls arent drenched in it. Your screenshot looks like Fight Night though - not DoA.

Top Bottom