• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Dead or Alive 6 - Reveal Trailer

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I could never get into how fake looking/uncanny the DOA girls' faces look. Seems bit late to be releasing 6 as well.

Seeing that on Marie Rose and Honoka is going to look hilarious.
I'm willing to bet none of the females will bleed/bruise. They will just look dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:

KiteGr

The 5th one had so many paywalls, that it's main menu looked like ithad disabled addblock.
The supposed "Last round" edition was a joke with all the dlc they released afterwards.

I'll skip this one until they release a true final edition.

I could never get into how fake looking/uncanny the DOA girls' faces look. Seems bit late to be releasing 6 as well.

I never had a problem with their faces/the style per se, as I had a problem with the lack of variety in faces, in regards to eyes as well. In skin color as well. And in breast size, would've been okay with having some more variation in breast size that goes towards the lower end as well. Also women in their mid to late 20s would've been nice as well. Similar things could be said in regards to the men, at least in regards to having a leaner muscular guy as well. It's of course nothing I felt like making a big deal about, but just thoughts having played DOA1, 2 and 5. I was never that into DOA for it to drive me to buy any of the microsoft consoles for 3 and 4.

For some reason I've always liked how DOA played and it's stylized aspect and it not being overly serious (still slightly below the likes of Tekken 3 for me though). The introduction of a supermeter, desire for esports and the slow motion and contextual stage events and feeling of a flat contained gameplay style. It doesn't make me very interested in it. The strategy they're doing also seems pretty weak and all over the place, they better hope Sega doesn't have a Virtua Fighter planned, because that'd pretty much kill most interest in the game.

Btw, all of this is making me think about wanting a Tobal 3. A fighting game I definitely miss in my nostalgia.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They all look the same yes. Not as bad as Tekken's take on all the girls being around the same size and having wide ass shoulders vs their older stuff but...goddamn esports ruins everything!

They all look the same yes. Not as bad as Tekken's take on all the girls being around the same size and having wide ass shoulders vs their older stuff but...goddamn esports ruins everything!

You think all these look the same?

iu

Kreydo

esport isn't ruining things, it's the annoncer or the producer of the "show"...

I'm not a DOA fan but it's a cool serie and anybody undertand quickly that the totally harmeless sexyness (cuz lets had blood and bruise, but reduce boobs) of all characters including male is in the DNA of the game, DOA isn't famous because it's the best fighting game(even if it's good) and specialy if it comes to esport.
Trying to "pro" a game that don't aim to this public by changing the game DNA, the fanbase will just feel betrayed and it will backlash at some point.
And believe me for fighting genre there is no massive casual crowd to save this failboat.
Maybe they didn't they understood that the people who financed DOA are in large majority the players that love the game for his fanservice by buying all those costumes and bikini.

Last edited:
What I just realized are they going to do this to female fighters as well? I can not imaging how this will end here

DfQdHNVUcAAxhos.jpg

Mortal Kombat has worse happen to the ladies, but a child character like Marie Rose taking a shot like this might cause pause for some. She's listed as "18" but her design is clearly based off current anime trends for young magical girls, maid girls, and the like whom are in there junior high/middle school years, the appeal being their charm, innocence, youth, and cuteness. It'll be interesting to see how TN handles her as she is arguably, at least in the east, the current most popular character in the series, and TN is trying to expand the audience beyond their current fanbase in the west. Do they keep her out the game? Grow her up more? Leave her as is? Add a custom animation where, say, she raises her arms to block a direct physical contact, but still receives the damage? Very curious how they'll handle her.

Famitsu interview.... Tag Mode is being removed, no guests in base roster, and they said they're toning down the sexiness and going in this focus on cool direction because of…….esports players! Specifically comments from ones at Evo 2017. That might actually be a dumber reason than the one we thought.

https://www.dualshockers.com/dead-alive-6-wont-use-soft-engine/

Focus is on "Fighting Entertainment." Their approach is similar to Harada's Tekken 7, trying to create moments that are just as exciting to watch for a viewing audience, as it is to play for the players. They want characters, female and male, appeal to be primarily on how "cool" they look and fight, with the belief that this element was overshadowed by the sexual tones of prior games.

The pre-launch and DLC hype for all fighting games right now is on characters, how they look, who they are, and how they fight. Smash has gaming icons to sell it's game-play. BlazBlue tried to use a visual novel style narrative to sell audiences on their various characters. Narrative has been a vehicle for other fighting games too, such as Mortal Kombat, that had a short web series prior to it's revival, to help get players interested in their characters. Guest characters have become a norm due to their background appeal and abilities outside said fighting game that help sell the people to their game mechanics.

Right now, I don't think Dead or Alive's characters appeals reach far beyond it's current fanbase whom enjoy the fanservice the series provides. Ryu Hayabusa's popularity has fallen over the years, and the ladies of DoA don't seem to have anything much going for them outside their bodies. A simple story mode like DoA 5 had is not going to change that. It's also why I think brand new characters will be important for Team Ninja to advertise in trying to sell this "cool" new Dead or Alive to a bigger audience. The old characters will, by and large, still only appeal to the old fans, and they are too many other fighting games out their right now craving audiences money and attention.

I wish Team Ninja luck. They're a lot of hurdles to overcome, but Dead or Alive is a pretty cool game with a lot untapped potential. I do hope more people look toward DoA 6 as a cool upcoming fighting game they'd like to try out.

Last edited:

Leonidas

Some game-play and a developer interview.

Xbox One button prompts in the video, wonder if it's shown running on X or PC.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Avoid these sort of drive by hot takes please.
People like these games enough four six of them? WTF...

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
Oh, they should? All of them? WHY?

This is the type of reaction that polarises these discussions. Media and art are a reflection of the time they are created in. Some of these will follow the trends whilst others will purely be created as a form of rebellion or political/societal statement. Whatever side of the line you fall on, you have to be aware that there is/are massive shifts in attitudes at the moment. These shifts (despite the narrow focus most arguments centre on), basically come down to female representation in games. A very clear line is being 'created' between those characters created for titillation and those created as aspirational. Of course, the debate rages on how organic these changes are made, or whether tactical changes (like in DoA) are really warranted, or a case of pandering to a public media outcry.

So it should absolutely be embraced because without being fully embraced we get random over the top representation that looks way out of place. We get changes like in DoA & BF V instead of characters in games like Tomb Raider, Life is Strange, Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, Never Alone, Horizon, Hellblade, Arkham Knight (Oracle), Left 4 Dead, BF1, Syndicate, Beyond:Two Souls. If the current climate is embraced and more importantly, understood by the developers, then we can get honest and organic changes instead of it turning into a petulant 'Look at us, we're the most progressive!' competition that only serves to fracture the gaming community and throw fuel on an already raging fire.

But like I said, open a thread and start the debate. To be honest there are probably sub debates that really need having instead of having one monolithic 'females in games' thread that descends into chaos within three pages.

I can't believe Dead or Alive of all things would tone down the sexiness, I mean that's like, the series whole bread and butter.

I don't know, the "real" DOA ended with 4, there's a certain magic that's been missing ever since Itagaki left, 5 was ok for what it was and this looks to be basically more of the same.

I can live with it but it doesn't exactly thrill me, at least we have SC6 to keep the dream of big video game titties alive.

That said I can't imagine there won't be sexy costumes as DLC, so we'll see.

Fuz

Banned
This is the type of reaction that polarises these discussions. Media and art are a reflection of the time they are created in. Some of these will follow the trends whilst others will purely be created as a form of rebellion or political/societal statement. Whatever side of the line you fall on, you have to be aware that there is/are massive shifts in attitudes at the moment. These shifts (despite the narrow focus most arguments centre on), basically come down to female representation in games. A very clear line is being 'created' between those characters created for titillation and those created as aspirational. Of course, the debate rages on how organic these changes are made, or whether tactical changes (like in DoA) are really warranted, or a case of pandering to a public media outcry.

So it should absolutely be embraced because without being fully embraced we get random over the top representation that looks way out of place. We get changes like in DoA & BF V instead of characters in games like Tomb Raider, Life is Strange, Uncharted, Mirror's Edge, Never Alone, Horizon, Hellblade, Arkham Knight (Oracle), Left 4 Dead, BF1, Syndicate, Beyond:Two Souls. If the current climate is embraced and more importantly, understood by the developers, then we can get honest and organic changes instead of it turning into a petulant 'Look at us, we're the most progressive!' competition that only serves to fracture the gaming community and throw fuel on an already raging fire.

But like I said, open a thread and start the debate. To be honest there are probably sub debates that really need having instead of having one monolithic 'females in games' thread that descends into chaos within three pages.
As I said already, there's a place for realism and a place for dumb, silly, giggly boobs. One shouldn't exclude the other.
I would absolutely hate to have bikini armor on my Witcher series. I don't mind bikini armor in some other silly, over-the-top game.
Forcing politically correct design just to appeal to some vocal SJW minority would do nothing good. It will just kill diversity. Censorship is never a good thing.
And today is boob physics, tomorrow will be violence in GTA. People asking for censoring silly games are no better than jack thompson.

mcz117chief

Man what a shame. Team Ninja, the guys that gave us jiggle physics tied to controller gyros and Dead or Alive Extreme are giving up on sexiness? The eye candy was part of the charm of Dead or Alive. You have Mortal Kombat for ultra violence, Tekken for maximum control and Dead or Alive for the sexiness. But all of them are, primarily, good fighting games and I love all 3. Now that Dead or Alive will lose it's charm I guess I will have to replace it with Soul Calibur.

Future

This makes sense if they want to have their game broadcasted. Street Fighter was getting some shit for broadcasts on ESPN for some of their characters so they probably don’t want to hurdle over that. ESPORTs will probably be the driving force for these types of decisions, I doubt they give a shit about what people think playing the game at home

They said they aren’t ignoring all old costumes though, so some classic will return. They just probably don’t want this to be the only topic of conversation like it was in the past for DOA.

As much as I love DoA game play, the lack of technical skill required to play it, means it will never be as compelling to watch as Street Fighter. The devs have sacrificed the bikinis for nothing :(

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
As much as I love DoA game play, the lack of technical skill required to play it, means it will never be as compelling to watch as Street Fighter. The devs have sacrificed the bikinis for nothing :(
I don’t remember it being skill less

You had block and throw buttons plus lunch and kicks. Counters, strikes , combos attacks , throws and reversals far from skill less.

It’s deeper than it looks

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
DoA5 was never sexy in the good sense. All it did for me was not loving a single one of the girls for being pure clichés with legs and being totally unbeliavable girls. This is a welcome change.

There are other resources for when I need sexiness.

You had block and throw buttons plus lunch and kicks. Counters, strikes , combos attacks , throws and reversals far from skill less.

It’s deeper than it looks

Yeah, I should've said the ""relative" lack of skill, as I know DoA still takes skill to play.
Im just comparing it to games like Tekken with its Just-Frames or SF with its quarter circle etc type combos. The skill required to do some of that stuff under pressure is impressive to watch. I dont think DoA has that.

Last edited:

Kreydo

It's not "skilles" at some point everything require skill to be achieved.

But DOA command imput are less complicated than Street Fighter by far. Tekken which is "harder" than DOA is already concidered less complicated than Street Fighter.
I think Street Fighter is the only 3D esport game that have 2 or 3 frame imput?

mcz117chief

exactly. Dead or Alive has always been primarily a flashy game. Good graphics, fluent animations, big stages, breakable stages, etc. etc. They were never popular with the E-sports crowd and I highly, HIGHLY doubt this change with have any effect on it. Besides, Street Fighter and Tekken have some pretty skimpy outfits too.

OH-MyCar

tumblr_n23bkvw68L1qlvs4go1_400.gif

I think the funniest part of this is them thinking that they're going to be up there with Fortnite by making this more palatable for eSports. I love fighting games and you're not going to get a sizeable amount of people caring about DOA in eSports. Period. They'll be patching in extra boobs on everyone when they notice this goes right to the bottom of Twitch with every other fighter ever created; including what will undoubtedly be many better fighters.

I mean hell, look at Street Fighter V. There was a successful launch by pursuing that eSports dough over what fans were used to...

The funny thing is most "hardcore" and "pro" fighting game players always bash the gameplay of DOA for it's hold during stun system, which will still be there.

I think Japanese developers don't understand that games like SFV still succeeded because of esports despite alienating a large chunk of there fanbase and massively underperforming the previous is because SF was already esports. It's like how Arc ruined BlazBlue CTB at launch for esports because of Dragonball becoming esports, when they failed to realize Dragonball became esports since it's just a Dragonball themed MvC3, and since MvCI didn't do so good MvC players had to play something.

I'm sure SoulCalibur VI will be esports too, and possibly replace Tekken 7, if it's good because it's freaking Namco, and Ivy and Taki will have no barring on anything. In fact those same "too embarrassed to play" players will be rocking Ivy if she's OP top tier.

Last edited:

Isa

I think this will be the first DoA I actually pass up at launch. If they ever decide to switch on jiggle physics or return to the fanservice then I might bite. But I don't want to reward them for this. Sucks as this is/was my favorite fighter. Can't believe I'm more excited for Soul Caliber now.

mcz117chief

I think this will be the first DoA I actually pass up at launch. If they ever decide to switch on jiggle physics or return to the fanservice then I might bite. But I don't want to reward them for this. Sucks as this is/was my favorite fighter. Can't believe I'm more excited for Soul Caliber now.

The more I think about it though, it does sound a lot similar to what they said before DoA5 hit. You know, moving towards realism, no more doll faces, no insane boobs hitting characters in the face, not DDs on 16 year olds (oh I'm sorry, I mean N/A old) and it did turn out extremely well in the end. Dead or Alive 5 is my favourite fighting game. What I think will happen is that they will put on this facade like "they care" about social issues and whatever so that they slip under the radar, but once the game hits they will slowly add the swimsuit costumes and jiggle physics options like they did in DoA5. The one thing I don't really like is the close up face punch with blood since I mostly viewed DoA as friendly, shonen style matches (where everything explodes and people get hit with earth-shattering blows but in the end are only dirty and say "yeah, that was a great fight.", high-five and go do groceries together). The thought of seeing Kasumi getting her jaw shattered by Bass or Bayman is kind of horrifying honestly.

Isa

The more I think about it though, it does sound a lot similar to what they said before DoA5 hit. You know, moving towards realism, no more doll faces, no insane boobs hitting characters in the face, not DDs on 16 year olds (oh I'm sorry, I mean N/A old) and it did turn out extremely well in the end. Dead or Alive 5 is my favourite fighting game. What I think will happen is that they will put on this facade like "they care" about social issues and whatever so that they slip under the radar, but once the game hits they will slowly add the swimsuit costumes and jiggle physics options like they did in DoA5. The one thing I don't really like is the close up face punch with blood since I mostly viewed DoA as friendly, shonen style matches (where everything explodes and people get hit with earth-shattering blows but in the end are only dirty and say "yeah, that was a great fight.", high-five and go do groceries together). The thought of seeing Kasumi getting her jaw shattered by Bass or Bayman is kind of horrifying honestly.

That's a good point, and I hope its true. I may still stick with the wait and see approach, unless they let slip any info. Hoping for the best though.

mcz117chief

That's a good point, and I hope its true. I may still stick with the wait and see approach, unless they let slip any info. Hoping for the best though.

Yeah, maybe there will be pre-order exclusive swimwear like in the last game in which case I will pre-order but otherwise I will absolutely wait at least a month or two to see where the game will be going. Honestly I am interested in the story a lot too since Kasumi is so kawaii and I adore her since I first saw her in Dead or Alive 2 18 years ago.

Also, if someone fro the DoA GAF community is reading this (Azuardo, Shin Maruku and others) I STILL WANT MY YAIBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I said already, there's a place for realism and a place for dumb, silly, giggly boobs. One shouldn't exclude the other.
I would absolutely hate to have bikini armor on my Witcher series. I don't mind bikini armor in some other silly, over-the-top game.
Forcing politically correct design just to appeal to some vocal SJW minority would do nothing good. It will just kill diversity. Censorship is never a good thing.
And today is boob physics, tomorrow will be violence in GTA. People asking for censoring silly games are no better than jack thompson.

This is what it comes down to, context, context, context.

Some games go for a more down to Earth approach, but some games go for a more over the top approach, both are fine, anyone who insists that games all fit some uniform politically correct style is an authoritarian no different than your Lieberman or Thompson of yesteryear who insisted games tone down violence.

And speaking of which, what IS up with people going easier on violence than sex? Take the new Tomb Raiders for example, it's ok for Lara to shoot hundreds of guys but god forbid she wears a pair of shorts, how does that make any sense?

Fuz

Banned
And speaking of which, what IS up with people going easier on violence than sex? Take the new Tomb Raiders for example, it's ok for Lara to shoot hundreds of guys but god forbid she wears a pair of shorts, how does that make any sense?

Because most of the criticism and most of the SJW movement come from the states, and they have a huge background of puritanism embedded in their brains, consciuos or subconscious.
A dismemberment is OK, but god forbid you see a nipple.

Last edited:
Because most of the criticism and most of the SJW movement come from the states, and they have a huge background of puritanesim embedded in their brains, consciuos or subconscious.
A dismemberment is OK, but god forbid you see a nipple.

It's so well ingrained that it transcends the left/right dynamic.

Although I remember when the left wing was very much pro-sex, any sort of sexual content was fine, it's only in this decade do they act puritanical about it.

Shin

Banned
Famitsu interview.... Tag Mode is being removed, no guests in base roster, and they said they're toning down the sexiness and going in this focus on cool direction because of…….esports players! Specifically comments from ones at Evo 2017. That might actually be a dumber reason than the one we thought.

https://www.dualshockers.com/dead-alive-6-wont-use-soft-engine/
Snore...the more they talk about the game the more it feels like DoA name was slapped on it but it's anything but what DoA is known for.

Yeah, the girls faces look better and better as technology improves. Do I want to see them bleed though? Nah.
I like tough guys and sexy girls. Blood on a guy can make him look tough. Blood on a girl is not sexy.

LUXURY

Yeah, the girls faces look better and better as technology improves. Do I want to see them bleed though? Nah.
I like tough guys and sexy girls. Blood on a guy can make him look tough. Blood on a girl is not sexy.

Who even says it is to be sexy?????? Girls do bleed. They are human beings dude.

Ke0

So happy they got rid of that shared face but different color eyes look from DOA1-4. It was such a terrible art style that aged poorly as technology progressed. The series as a fighter has gotten way better with Itagaki gone (his crazy obsession with making the ninjas the strongest was something the DOA team hated, and they tried to fix with DOA3.1 only for him to bring it back to a large degree with DOA4) but I still don't think it'll ever really be taken seriously as a fighter outside of Japan.

So, if Team Ninja is serious about toning down the sexiness in DOA 6, what would happen with Honoka, Mary Rose and Nyotengu? I have always felt that those 3 characters were created more like ecchi archetypes (Honoka being an oppai schoolgirl, whilst Mary Rose is a petanko maid) with little backstory (I know, Honoka is Raidou's daughter, but this is not deeply explored in DOA 5). Anyway, I'm glad we could have a new DOA.

Last edited:
Also, I wish DOA 6 has a tutorial as good as DOA's 5 LR. In my opinion, Last Round has the best training modes in the series, and one of the best in the fighting game genre.

Honoka might show up with a boob reduction? This would no doubt make her less popular with her current fans, but its the price we'll pay if TN want to conform to "un-sexy" rules.
Marie Rose and Nyotengu will just show up and be covered up.

Top Bottom