• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Media Briefings 2017 viewer Numbers*

*Twitch and YouTube only - Microsoft as example had a huge push for their own platform Mixer and was also on Facebook and TV
fist numbers are Twitch only (peak concurrent viewer), second numbers are YouTube only (total views) - no combined numbers anywhere

E3-2017-Twitch-Viewers-Graph.gif

Microsoft/Xbox — 1.1 million viewers (818k in 2016)
Ubisoft — 986k viewers (759k in 2016)
Sony/PlayStation — 962k viewers (757k in 2016)
EA — 676k viewers (910k in 2016)
PC Gaming Show — 552k viewers (488k in 2016)
Nintendo — 292k viewers (422k in 2016)
Bethesda — 233k viewers (610k in 2016)

Gamers' interest on YouTube was similar when comparing view counts to Twitch's viewers. Microsoft's Briefing on the official Xbox YouTube channel as of right now also holds the #1 spot with 2.3 million views. PlayStation's Briefing video only pulled in half of that with 1.3 million views, but surprisingly doubled Ubisoft's 624k views. The main difference was Nintendo, whose Spotlight did much better on YouTube than Twitch and currently places it third with 728k views.

more at the link:
http://www.githyp.com/microsofts-xb...-highest-watched-moment-of-e3-2017-on-twitch/

relevant topics with numbers for this year E3 (social media impression and trailer viewer numbers)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392507
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392453

maxcriden

The main difference was Nintendo, whose Spotlight did much better on YouTube than Twitch and currently places it third with 728k views.

How does this sync up with the listed number for Nintendo being 292k YT/twitch per the OP?

EA had 910k last year??

Any case, interesting analytics.

everyone was hyped and wanted to see BF1
they have the most watch game trailer ever on YouTube
https://youtu.be/c7nRTF2SowQ
and they had a different (better) time slot last year

How does this sync up with the listed number for Nintendo being 292k YT/twitch per the OP?
292k is Twitch only
728k is YouTube only

What is this 2016 number for? Nintendo didnt have a direct/spotlight last year, only treehouse streams
Yes and the peak viewer on Twitch during the treehouse stream was 422k last year ;)

I really hope the publishers start to remove the press conference gaps. They were way too spaced out. I didn't like EA on Saturday, and Bethesda started way too late. Plus bethesda delayed it so their outdoor conference venue would be dark and then barely used the stage. Just a waste all around. So keep it Sunday & Monday and then Nintendo does its thing as the treehouse prequel

Some pretty good usage spikes all around

Looks like Ubi and Sony did great with their boosts for not having new hardware like Microsoft, who also did really well getting the views.

Wonder if this accounts for multiple views from the same location, I know I had on the various streams in two rooms in case I had to leave the room, my PC and my TV. :D

I really hope the publishers start to remove the press conference gaps. They were way too spaced out. I didn't like EA on Saturday, and Bethesda started way too late. Plus bethesda delayed it so their outdoor conference venue would be dark and then barely used the stage. Just a waste all around.

Some pretty good usage spikes all around

Yeah, way too spaced out for me too. Last year with the tighter conference spacing the hype was a lot more palpable and relentless. Still good though.

Thoraxes

Well, this part is wrong:

"Nintendo saw a 30% decrease in viewers for the Switch's second year at E3."

Which is funny because I really had to think about how it hasn't even been 9 months since they first unveiled it.

That said, MS increase was def. due to Scorpio, and Nintendo decrease i'd bet was due to the fact that the spotlight was so short that you could watch whenever, and well, Tuesday.

I was wondering why Nintendo's were so low but I think being in the middle of the day on Tuesday probably led to that. I don't think most people would have taken the day off for a 25-minute video when they could catch up on the highlights or watch afterwards.

Microsoft had theirs on the weekend and Sony's always have theirs in the evening which makes them easy to watch.

watershed

Banned
Am I completely misreading this thread? The OP has the Youtube + Twitch number for Microsoft at 1.1 million. But the quote in the OP says Microsoft had 2.3 million on Youtube alone. Help, I'm confused!

Am I completely misreading this thread? The OP has the Youtube + Twitch number for Microsoft at 1.1 million. But the quote in the OP says Microsoft had 2.3 million on Youtube alone. Help, I'm confused!

Yes
first numbers are Twitch only
the second numbers in the Quote are Youtube only

moeman

This is a weird comparison. The spotlight video for Nintendo only has ~200k but the day 1 stream has over 2 million views.

TissueBox

and they had a different (better) time slot last yea

Ah... with that going for it it checks out I guess. BF1 was pretty big.

Edit: not thinking straight lol m'bad.

For some reason 1.1 mil are the Twitch numbers while the 2.3 mil figure is the total view count for the Youtube vid thus far it looks like.

Zackat

I think the 1.1 mil is concurrent users watching the actual live press conference. the 2.3 million is how many have watched the recorded youtube video.

I think

maxcriden

and they had a different (better) time slot last year

292k is Twitch only
728k is YouTube only

Yes and the peak viewer on Twitch during the treehouse stream was 422k last year ;)

Thanks for the clarification. What was the TT number for Nintendo last year?

I was wondering why Nintendo's were so low but I think being in the middle of the day on Tuesday probably led to that. I don't think most people would have taken the day off for a 25-minute video when they could catch up on the highlights or watch afterwards.

Microsoft had theirs on the weekend and Sony's always have theirs in the evening which makes them easy to watch.

Yeah, I think the time of day and day of the week are a big part of it. The YT number is much better than the twitch number at least. I'm not sure what the YT number as last year though.

watershed

Banned
Yes
first numbers are Twitch only
the second numbers in the Quote are Youtube only

Oh I get it now. The asterisk looks like it applies specifically to the graph. Also the graph doesn't have a title making clear that it is number of viewers on Twitch being shown. I thought "Twitch and Youtube views only" meant those numbers were going to be presented combined after giving each separately.

Ashtar

Hopefully next year the Sunday and Monday conferences will be at more reasonable times, Nintendo having theirs on a Tuesday morning made me not watch, I had work.
Interesting that Xbox had that many viewers, I guess word of Scorpio gets around.

Thanks for the clarification. What was the TT number for Nintendo last year?
I don't know

Oh I get it now. The asterisk looks like it applies specifically to the graph. Also the graph doesn't have a title making clear that it is number of viewers on Twitch being shown. I thought "Twitch and Youtube views only" meant those numbers were going to be presented combined after giving each separately.
yeah not the graph itself
it's more clear at the link

With Nintendo switching to a pre-recorded format, I would think they're more concerned about total views rather than live views. That's probably true for the other studios as well to an extent, but the live format is intended to front load those views a bit more, especially when you consider that Microsoft and Sony held their conferences when most Americans would be out of work/school.

It's weird that Sony goes for 2-3am in their best market, I guess they feel like they never needed to try and its specifically aimed at USA/Japan?

Xando

Surprised Ms is #1. The was around 1.1m people watching on mixer too apparently

MS was at a reasonable time for EU and US compared to Sony so i'm not that suprised.

Not gonna watch a stream at 3am in the morning when i have to work at 8am.

JawzPause

I can never watch sony live here in the uk because it starts it 2am every year. They really need to change that. MS was on at 10pm which is a reasonable time

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This tells me Nintendo does pay a "price" for not having a real conference. I know their event + announcements this year were pretty small, but they are still way too big to have so many fewer views than the real conferences.

Maybe they are smart in terms of dollars spent vs. dollars earned anyway, I dunno.

This tells me Nintendo does pay a "price" for not having a real conference. I know their event + announcements this year were pretty small, but they are still way too big to have so many fewer views than the real conferences.

Maybe they are smart in terms of dollars spent vs. dollars earned anyway, I dunno.
Their announcements were far from pretty small. Out of all the conferences they and Ubisoft came out with the best presentation of games.

JaffeLion

Banned
wow.. microsoft still on top although mixer wasnt even counted?? So a lot of viewers missing... people got free games/dlc for watching it on mixer with their xbox, also it was heavily promoted and also very easy to watch with superb quality on mixer.

Majine

Banned
Good for Xbox.

this is only a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I hope they will be able to get a second wind and become more competitive with Playstation.

Which would be a win for all gamers.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Surprised Ms is #1. The was around 1.1m people watching on mixer too apparently

MS conference was at 11 PM in Europe, Sony conference was in the middle of the night (2-3 AM).

Top Bottom