• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Meta] Who won E3?

Who won E3?

• EA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 204 49.6%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 28 6.8%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • PC gaming

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 120 29.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Devolver

Votes: 19 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Depends on what we judge a winner by. If its by having the best all round conference it has to be microsoft, if its who has the best exclusives probably sony. If you ask me which consumer won from this, I'd say PC gamers

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Every conference under delivered as far as Im concerned.

I guess Id have to pick MS as the one that disappointed me the least.

manfestival

Games personally I would say Sony cause I have always been a sony fan but as far as conference goes since that is what E3 is about. Hands down it goes to Microsoft. I feel like it is the first year in so long that there is a clear winner for everyone to see any not just something with a bias.
Biggest over all winner? PC Gamers
As far as poll goes, MS gets my vote.

MrDanGuy

Bethesda > MS > Sony > Ubisoft > EA > Square Enix

I don’t understand how anyone could of really enjoyed Sony’s conference outside of graphics which will not be in this gen. Half of the gameplay was people walking around gently to prevent frame rate dips.

Bethesda outside of the card game destroyed E3 IMO.

Petrae

In my view, Capcom did, and didn’t need an extravagant presentation to do it. Devil May Cry 5, Mega Man 11, and the Resident Evil 2 Remake have all been received favorably.

If we’re choosing from this list, which seems to be based on presentations, I guess I give it to Microsoft, which scored the highest of all of the events I saw. Nintendo went on almost excruciatingly long with its Smash info dump, making it a not-so-good show. Sony’s presentation was quite nearly a disaster, especially the miserable first half. Bethesda’s presentation was similar to Sony’s— initially cringeworthy, followed by late redemption. Microsoft at least brought the games, even if not all theirs, and kept the wasteful filler shit to a relative minimum.

KevinKeene

Banned
I don't have an X1 and Nintendo gave me Ridley, but Microsoft had hands down the best, most balanced conference with super many games. If the x1 didn't miss out on so many Japanese games and I wasn't already invested in PS4 with my PSVR, I'd actually buy an X1 after this E3 showing.

Well done, Microsoft

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Bethesda > MS > Sony > Ubisoft > EA > Square Enix

I don’t understand how anyone could of really enjoyed Sony’s conference outside of graphics which will not be in this gen. Half of the gameplay was people walking around gently to prevent frame rate dips.

Bethesda outside of the card game destroyed E3 IMO.
Which will not be in this gen?

You do realize that every game Sony showed (good graphics and all) will be on PS4 and Pro enhanced?

Last edited:

OH-MyCar

I thought Microsoft and Bethesda had the strongest showings. Both were packed with good reveals and games I'm interested in playing this year.

Anyone who says Nintendo has an IP in Redmond.

Sony's format was awful but I can't dock them points for showing a lot of first-party games I personally don't care about, so I found theirs to be average to slightly above average (the RE2 reveal was great). All in all it was a bit too "comfortable SONY" for me. They've had stronger outings, but it was fine. Once I seen Nintendo's trainwreck, I realized I was being a lot harder on them than I should've been.

Square's was pretty boring and conservative in terms of actual reveals, but the games they had on display were largely solid.

I didn't watch EA, Ubisoft or PC Gaming (although Yakuza 0 on PC was a bombshell).

Hilarion

Much like last year, the conference that was most enjoyable to watch was Devolver's insane parody conference, especially because I actually have always wanted to play Metal Wolf Chaos and now I can.

Denton

MS killed it. I really don't care that they did not have a lot of games artificially restricted to single x86 box, in fact I applaud MS for finally recognizing that they own Windows too and for supporting it. They showcased Cyberpunk in the most spectacular fashion possible, had Chris Magnificent Avellone on stage for amazing looking Dying Light 2, and of course there is brilliant STALKER-like Metro Exodus and the beauty of Forza. But many other games they showed were pretty cool.

Sony had beautiful game showcases wrapped in a horrible package of a conference and nothing new, so they lose, even if I am interested in most games they showed.

PC Gamer conference was pretty good, but the wow factor is of course nowhere, since a magazine does not have the resources of multination corporation like MS.

Ubisoft was embarassingly pathetic, only Odyssey was worth the look. CGI trailers have no place at E3.

Squeenix was pathetic.

Devolver was funny, I like their sarcastic takedowns of the industry.

Nintendo - zero interest, didn't bother. They haven't made a game for me in decades.

Bethesda was decent. Not great, but at least they finally confirmed Starfield and Todd made some self-referential jokes.

EA - most pathetic of all, the true kings of loserdom. Andrew "Fist Bump in Human Form" Wilson needs replacing asap.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I'd have to say Microsoft just for the shocking variety of games the conference had. Bethesda and Ubisoft came pretty close.

MrDanGuy

Which will not be in this gen?

You do realize that every game Sony showed (good graphics and all) will be on PS4 and Pro enhanced?

The Tomb Raider dev called them out in Last of Us II graphics. If you think that those graphics in a open world can happen on current hardware then please inform me how? I don’t want to hear “oh they are really good with the hardware” excuse. The gameplay of some of those games rivaled high end PC graphics.

Typhares

For me Sony because of exclusives like Spiderman, Ghost of tsushima, spyro and death stranding mostly.
I enjoyed watching the MS conference more though but that's not the question.

Denton

The Tomb Raider dev called them out in Last of Us II graphics. If you think that those graphics in a open world can happen on current hardware then please inform me how? I don’t want to hear “oh they are really good with the hardware” excuse. The gameplay of some of those games rivaled high end PC graphics.
TR dev actually meant the animation work, and then he deleted the tweet in embarassment when Naughty Dog animator called him out.

Of course those games can look like this. Death Stranding does not looks that much better than Horizon, TLOU2 is not open world.

Ar¢tos

I didn't see anything on TLOU2 or GoT that God of war or horizon don't do already.

nowhat

General presentation/conference: MS (it could have been trimmed a bit, but still a good show)
Games: Sony (yes, we knew what was coming beforehand - still, they looked awesome)

But there really can be only one answer, Devolver Digital. Think about it - had EA done their presentation in a similar fashion, it would have been so awesome.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What am I reading? Youre calling the graphics on The Last of US 2 fake?

This is unreal. Everything I saw in terms of graphics was absolutely on par with the recently released God of War. Nothing that was shown was fake.

nowhat

The Tomb Raider dev called them out in Last of Us II graphics.
Yeah. And immediately deleted the tweet and later apologized by saying it was "lost in translation" because he's French (which is bullshit, "fake" should be a quite universally understood term, and that's pretty much the only thing he said).

Last edited:

jdforge

Banned
Overall it’s one of the most disappointing E3s ever.

For me the only announcement that captured any of that E3 magic was Resident Evil 2.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Aside from Rage 2, Bethesda IMO absolutely underdelivered as they showed almost no gameplay and a bunch of trailers. But my disappointment comes from having little interest in Fallout 76. I simply have no interest in a Fallout game thats built around online play, eventhough it can be played solo. On a personal level, I am really really bummed that Fallout 3 Anniversary isn't a thing. I had no idea how badly I wanted to replay Fallout 3 on PS4 and was deflated when I heard Todd Howard say the word "Anniversary" only for it to refer to Fallout Shelter. Please don't respond with PC! as I wanted to play it again on a console with better resolution and earn trophies.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Nintendo, clearly.

/s

For me personally? Capcom. RE2 Remake is a dream come true for me and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Both Sony's and MS' conferences were on par. Bethesda and Ubisoft were also quite solid.

Great E³ overall for me. Had to get up at 3am twice in a row and didn't regret it one bit.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Microsoft easily had the best conference, no question. Did a horrible job convincing me to buy an xbox, but it was the most entertaining show and had the most games on display. They seemed to be the only company that had a grasp of how important an E3 show is, it's not just for the press anymore...

Sony definitely showed off the best games but there weren't that many of them, and very few surprises. Honestly as far as sheer entertainment/hype goes, I think Bethesda wins me over personally. But again Microsoft objectively won...

NickFire

I'm excited for Sony's exclusives, but what they didn't do gave MS the best E3 in my book. For example - MS mentioned they are working on a new console. No shock, but they also reaffirmed a commitment to backwards compatibility as a focus for them, and seemed to make clear they are committed to raw power. This wont cause me to switch back this generation, but already has one foot in their camp for next generation because as of now I don't know what Sony is thinking for raw power, have never seen Sony commit to backwards compatibility, and Sony has also refused to allow cross platform to date. Basically, Sony has not given any reason to stay with them next generation, as of yet, beyond exclusives.

And the Sony blocking cross play with switch just screams arrogant Sony to me. I'll concede that business reasons justify blocking it with MS since it would play into MS hands perfectly going into next generation. But blocking switch? Come on - switch is not a direct competitor for PS4 in any meaningful way IMO.

Just kinda felt like a stopgap. People must be saving money for the next year or two down the line when new hardware starts getting announced.

The games would have almost been better served announcing themselves outside the conference to avoid all the external noise generated by the convention. Maybe E3 shouldn't be yearly anymore with development times reaching the lengths they have. I could maybe even say the convention is antiquated and no longer needed, but that's not quite as fun.

I'd like to say Sony won for Death Stranding+ but god dam did that bizarre meandering conference kill my enthusiasm for any of it. The Sony conference was almost stranger than the game.

Fbh

Third parties
Honestly, third parties won this E3. Almost every exciting announcement came from them: DMC5, Sekiro, Nioh 2, new Doom, etc.
None of the MS, Sony (not that they had any) or Nintendo reveals got me as excited as those games.

As for conference itself I'd give it to Microsoft
It was fun, well paced, with some cool announcements and just overall a lot to show. It was a fun watch even if you don't own an Xbox 1. Also major bonus points from me for being the only ones to pull off a good "but one more thing" moment this year with that Cyberpunk ending.

But at the end of the day I still think Sony has the more exciting games
If there was one "issue" with the MS conference is that most of the highlights (at least to me) I'll be able to play on my Ps4 and the exclusives they showed just didn't do much for me (aside from ori which I'll absolutely pick up on PC). Meanwhile I think TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima looked fantastic and Spiderman has the potential to be great too.

Last edited:

Paasei

-MS showed the most games.
-Sony showed off their 4 big upcoming titles with some other announcements in between.
-Bethesda announced a lot but hardly showed anything gameplay wise.
-Ubisoft was.. eh. Things we already knew were coming and no Splinter Cell.
-EA was just trash. A mobile game that got more attention than anything else + your generic sports games that could've been patches.
-Square Enix, PC Gamer and Devolver I didn't manage to see. Can't say anything about those.

A winner? I guess for the first time it's MS, because they actually showed plenty of games that are coming. Wether they are (temporarily) exclusive or not doesn't matter. Then again, everything does come to PC, so I still don't have to buy an Xbox.

Most exciting games for me are the ones shown at Sony. I don't think their unique format of press conferences is something they should stick with. Most of us weren't there, so watching it from online only made it drag on for no reason. No idea if the experience was actually that great for those that were present during the show.

ruvikx

Banned
Capcom.

They delivered the wildest dream of many Resident Evil fans & remade RE2 as an over-the-shoulder real survival horror which simply looks phenomenal. Considering last year people started to imagine the whole RE2 remake had literally been cancelled because of very little info leaking, what we finally saw blew lots of people away. For me it's the game of the show. I'd also say Cyberpunk deserves special mention but I have to see more actual gameplay before forming a definitive opinion.

As for the rest... meh.

The Shepard

I did enjoy Microsofts but on the quality of the exclusives I vote sony. Last of us 2, nioh 2, spider man, ghost and dead stranding are all day 1 for me atm.

Microsoft. I thought they'd have a good showing because they had nothing last year. I didn't expect Sony and Nintendo's presentations to be so bad.

MDSLKTR

Yeah. And immediately deleted the tweet and later apologized by saying it was "lost in translation" because he's French (which is bullshit, "fake" should be a quite universally understood term, and that's pretty much the only thing he said).

What a way to fuck up your reputation in four letters, amazing.

Crew 511A

There's a new Halo game coming with the old art style and music. Microsoft wins to me. Gears 5 looks interesting also.

If I'm honest, the whole show was kind of a downer for me. I see my SNES Classic getting a lot more use once I clear out my backlog this fall.

MrDanGuy

What am I reading? Youre calling the graphics on The Last of US 2 fake?

This is unreal. Everything I saw in terms of graphics was absolutely on par with the recently released God of War. Nothing that was shown was fake.

I guess we will see. Let’s not pretend Sony doesn’t have a long history on making graphics look significantly better then the finally result. Regardless Ghost of Tsuishima is not running on current gen hardware, and if you think it does then please enlighten me how.

MayauMiao

If Naughty Dog was able to make another developer question about the "fake" animation, it means they are doing an extremely good job.

I think sony is drifting away from announcing big stuff on E3. They will probably talk about a new console on Playstation Day. But they told us before E3 started that it will be different. I think that they load the cannons for playstation day and next E3 showcase new consol and tech demos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom