• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Meta] Who won E3?

Who won E3?

• EA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 204 49.6%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 28 6.8%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • PC gaming

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 120 29.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Devolver

Votes: 19 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norse

So, what systems do you all feel were represented by the games shown at the conferences? We're they equal to the base systems or did they represent what they'll be like on the pro and X? Might be a good thread topic instead of being in here but it just popped into my head so....

Iced Arcade

MS hands down but I enjoyed the shit out of TLOU2, now intrigued with Death Stranding and Spiderman looks like Arkham (which isn't a bad thing IMO)

cryptoadam

Banned
Cliched but gamers won E3.

But in reality 3rd parties won E3. 1st party had unimpressive outings for 2018 and too much vagueness for 2019. Is Halo 6/Ghost/DS/TLOU 2019 games and current gen? Wouldn't surprise me if 3 of those 4 are next gen games.

And 3rd parties need to give MS a big hand for showing them the future which will in time destroy the console manufacturers.

Once all 3rd parties put their games exclusively on their OWN gamepass services goodbye the need for MS/Sony/Nintendo hardware. Take away the 3rd party stuff from MS and Sony conference and you are left with a bunch of 2019 games that could be covered in 45 minutes rather than 2 hours and 45 minutes.

xool

I can’t wait to get Last of Us II, but what I saw looked like the beginning of next gen.

Do you mean the dance-hall scene or the action gameplay or both? I didn't see anything that looked impossible at all - not above HZD graphics afaict ..

Is there a bit that stands out as "too much" in the trailer, or just the whole thing.?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think sony is drifting away from announcing big stuff on E3. They will probably talk about a new console on Playstation Day. But they told us before E3 started that it will be different. I think that they load the cannons for playstation day and next E3 showcase new consol and tech demos.
No sane person was expecting any consoles announcements, PS5 is a good 3 years away and we was told this.
It's not Sony's fault people continued to PS5 was coming next year.
As for the conference format, other then switching venues for TLOU2 which made people think they cut back this year until they realised it was the room from TLOU2
the conference was the same as last year's

Microsoft won this one. Even if it's mostly 3rd party stuff that had me excited, at least it was something exciting. The rest were just bad, boring or both. One of the worst E3 years in recent memory for me.

bobone

Loved Microsoft this year. They showed a ton of AAA and indie games. Some were very surprising to see on the Xbox stage. And outright buying studios that they work so well with will pay off in the long run.
Sony was a big disappointment. I thought Last of Us was the least fun game I played last generation, and that was a pillar of their show. Spiderman also looks very meh. The samurai game is mostly like all bull shots; if not I will be mind blown.

Valonquar

Sony won on the exclusives front for me. Overall though, most of the big stuff was already announced over a year ago so there were not any major surprises this show.

FranXico

Sony won. They brought the megatons and amazing gameplay. TLOU2 alone beats Microsoft. Tsushima alone beats Microsoft. RE2 announcement was ultra hype.
I'm interested in every one of those games.
But gameplay of long known games is not a megaton.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Overalll I have to tip my hat to microsoft. However, I want to also say this was a very lukewarm E3. Sony turned their conference into a opera theatre with awkward venue swapping and felt like it was over before it got to the good stuff. TLoU2 was nice but after that just seemed to be an afterthought. Nintendo forgot to bring games (almost like 2016 when the only game they brought was BotW) and everyone was just a mixture of "ok" to "but why?"

So imo Microsoft won almost out of default as the the bar just wasnt set that high this year.

Microsoft > Sony > Bethesda > Ubisoft > Devolver > Nintendo > PCG >> Square Enix >>>>>> EA

Oh yeah, I think its safe to say we all agree EA won last place.

Last edited:

MrDanGuy

We have the same information as you but we’re making smarter/better interpretations of it.

I’m sorry when you’re pulling things out of your ass like “The Last of Us II demo is fake” or “Ghost of Tsuishima isn’t coming this gen” not to mention your failure to acknowledge that both games had at least graphical fidelity as God of War it becomes hard to take what else you might have to say seriously.

Rofl, “smarter”. Don’t be too full of yourself. You are just tone deaf to different opinions, it’s like you can’t accept another point of view.

Rofl, “smarter”. Don’t be too full of yourself. You are just tone deaf to different opinions, it’s like you can’t accept another point of view.

To be fair, we are going by the long announced and accepted message from Sony that these are current gen games where as you are completely disregarding this message to be a contrarian. This is less about opinions and more about what we have been told and we have clearly been told these are current gen games.

Sony won by default IMO. MS had a better conference but I'm going to play every game I liked there on the PS4 anyway lol. Spiderman looking mighty good and Ghost of Sushi looking awesome is an added bonus.

DryvBy

I'm torn between Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft showed a ton of games, but didn't show a lot of games to market their platform imo. Sony had the dumbest introduction I've seen in a long time, but brought it back after the 20 minute wait.

The games in quantity don't matter as much to me, and a lot of the games Microsoft showed (The Division 2, Gears POP!, Gears Tactics, Battletoads) I don't care about at all. The best thing they showed was Halo Infinite tease (check post history as I just recent said I don't care about Halo) and that FromSoftware game. That's why I'm kind of torn with them and Sony's, which had way more games I'm interested in but just less of them.

It's a flip of a coin from them. But as far as just a great conference I enjoyed from start to finish was Devolver Digital. Their satire is great. #MechAmericaGreatAgain was just too perfect.

MrDanGuy

To be fair, we are going by the long announced and accepted message from Sony that these are current gen games where as you are completely disregarding this message to be a contrarian. This is less about opinions and more about what we have been told and we have clearly been told these are current gen games.
Ghost could be on current gen, however the gameplay shown I firmly believe to be on next gen. Sony has outstanding studios, however when graphics being shown rival top end PCs then I start questioning. Also, we have no release dates for most of these games.

Ghost could be on current gen, however the gameplay shown I firmly believe to be on next gen. Sony has outstanding studios, however when graphics being shown rival top end PCs then I start questioning. Also, we have no release dates for most of these games.

There was a small print disclaimer at the bottom of the Tsushima footage that specifically states the footage was captured on a ps4 pro. They certainly could be lying but to assume so is quite presumptuous.

Here you can see it at the beginning of the trailer gameplay footage (timestamped):

Last edited:

Codes 208

I guess there was one megaton for me. Microsoft showed Cyberpunk 2077 finally. Plus Sekiro looked dope and I lm a huge fan of Fromsoft games. And I think this this is the first e3 MS showed more than a single japanese title. (Tales of Vesperia, KH3, Sekiro, Jump Force and DMC5)

Last edited:

AudioEppa

As much as surprises and spectacular reveals seem to be apart of the whole E3 experience. When I first started watching (04 or 05) it was just about enjoying my time watching what’s coming to the platform I fuck with. So my vote goes to Sony. They showed a lot of great looking games I’ll be playing in the future, from exclusives to third party.

But with that said. I find it hilarious how people on here, era and other social media are trying to push this Sony having bad show narrative on anyone who disagrees, It doesn’t work like that. But I knew people we’re going into this E3 with extra hype surrounding Xbox giving promising hope for their future in gaming. And that’s good on them and to their fans. But some people are way overdramatic trying to make it a thing.

zinder

You know Square Enix really fucked up when they even can't get a single troll vote.

Microsoft had the best new announcements and best conference (pacing). Sony had best games and gameplay reveals.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

Overall it’s one of the most disappointing E3s ever.

For me the only announcement that captured any of that E3 magic was Resident Evil 2.
This is one of those E3's that will have everyone wondering if we should bother next year... I didn't even anticipate it this year, it started without me noticing. Not enough leaks maybe... not coming to GAF enough anymore perhaps... simply no excitement at all. Almost everything was disappointing or expected other than, as you said, RE2.

I really hope that the people who go there in person get a lot out of it... play a lot of cool demos, etc... because the online viewing is losing its luster. Hopefully more good stuff comes in the next couple of days... ?

And did Jeff K / Youtube even bother this year?

Mr Hyde

I did, because I get to play Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2, Control, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro, Just Cause 4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Spiderman, Cyberpunk 2077 and all the other great games that was announced in the near future.

Codes 208

Microsoft had the best new announcements and best conference (pacing). Sony had best games and gameplay reveals.
I think this is a fair way of putting it. Sony had more compelling and better exclusive reveals. But it was bogged down by an awkward intermission on what already felt like a short E3 conference.
MS was games after games after games with the only break was to discuss gamespass and the faststart but otherwise game after game for 1.75 hours

Housh

Microsoft had the best presentation because it was old school E3 back2back announcements. Sony had the most exclusive titles that I wanted to play and even had the better versions of the multiplatform trailers.

demigod

As much as surprises and spectacular reveals seem to be apart of the whole E3 experience. When I first started watching (04 or 05) it was just about enjoying my time watching what’s coming to the platform I fuck with. So my vote goes to Sony. They showed a lot of great looking games I’ll be playing in the future, from exclusives to third party.

But with that said. I find it hilarious how people on here, era and other social media are trying to push this Sony having bad show narrative on anyone who disagrees, It doesn’t work like that. But I knew people we’re going into this E3 with extra hype surrounding Xbox giving promising hope for their future in gaming. And that’s good on them and to their fans. But some people are way overdramatic trying to make it a thing.

I was more excited about booth babes then the games. BRING BACK BOOTH BABES!!!

MrDanGuy

There was a small print disclaimer at the bottom of the Tsushima footage that specifically states the footage was captured on a ps4 pro. They certainly could be lying but to assume so is quite presumptuous.

Here you can see it at the beginning of the trailer gameplay footage (timestamped):

I’m skeptic when it comes to Sony because they have done this before in the past. If I am wrong I will take the heat for it, but I find a hard time especially with Ghost of Tsushima that it can’t run on the PS4 Pro.

OH-MyCar

Those 3 Nintendo votes man. Hopefully those are troll votes or we've all contributed to some "GAF shits on Nintendo!!!" persecution complexes so strong and pure that this place is going to look like the ending to Akira.

tdUbjz.gif

Munhon

Neo Member
Who won!? The gamers off course. Great E3. A huge bunch of awesome games coming to our consoles...

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m skeptic when it comes to Sony because they have done this before in the past. If I am wrong I will take the heat for it, but I find a hard time especially with Ghost of Tsushima that it can’t run on the PS4 Pro.
Again God of War would like a word with you.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm not surprised Microsoft is winning the poll, but I am surprised Ubisoft is getting so few votes. That Star Fox reveal alone was the moment of the conference for me.

Also, what a 180 on Skull & Bones. That game looks great now.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I'm not surprised Microsoft is winning the poll, but I am surprised Ubisoft is getting so few votes. That Star Fox reveal alone was the moment of the conference for me.

It's because the poll only asks who came in first, instead of asking people to rate them in order, or choose their top 3. They probably fall in the upper-middle for most, but don't quite reach the top.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’ll accept another point of view if that point of view has some factual basis and not just a bunch of claims based on nothing.

Yours didn’t.

The end.

Griffon

MS showed a lot of great multiplatform games. But since they have so little to offer in term of exclusives, I'm not sure we can ultimately call that a "win".

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It ain't over yet.. but my vote goes to Microsoft. They deserve kudos for making such a big effort. E3 is really something they give great respect to, and in turn I respect them greatly for it.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

I don't see why you think that considering what's already on the platform. There was never more than 3 people on screen so it makes sense the fidelity can be so high.

Look at Shadow of the Colossus.

Aces&Eights

That game looks so good. It's my hype game of E3 for sure.

Dabaus

Banned
Microsoft handily won E3. Sony's actual E3 Show was a disaster. With that said, nothing will change the status quo, at least for the rest of the year. Sony has all the big marketing deals, Spiderman should do well and are riding high on the success of God of war and to a lesser extent Detroit. Sony was either purposefully holding back or Shawn Layden is incompetent.

I also think days gone launching the same day as Anthem is terrible for Bend Studio. This could have been an E3 where Sony flexed a little and stole Microsofts thunder even after their great e3 conference, but they held back or didn't care.

dolabla

I thought Sony came out on top because of the exclusives and RE2. However, Microsoft put on a great show. I'm glad to own both systems.

Nintendo, well, that was atrocious. I might trade in/sell my Switch to get a PS4 Pro cause I'm just not seeing anything right now that makes me want to keep it. Smash looked great, but it's not something I have to have on day 1.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Microsoft for me. Their's was probably the best conference they had in years. This E3 had so many potential GOTY contenders it's astounding. The rest of 2018 and the beginning of 2019 are going to be rad.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm surprised so many people think Tsushima is fake. It looked absolutely gorgeous but it had lot imperfection in its animation, so I can definitely see it running on PS4 pro.

Microsoft had lots of content, plenty of reveals, great pacing, kept it on games for nearly 100% of the time.
To me, that's what I want from an E3 conference.

When Sony talked about 4 'deep dives' and 'some surprises' it sounded awful. Protacted chats about a game don't seem to suit E3 conferences. EA's Anthem deep dive was pretty boring, in spite of the game looking good. So I'm glad Sony actually moved a little quicker than EA, but it was light on content. The live music was nice, but I'd have been happier with, say, Dreams being shown off for 5 mins instead.

Nintendo. My personal hopes were for something from Retro Studios and something about Metroid Prime 4. So I was understandably disappointed. For those hungry for Smash Bros details then I'd say Nintendo served them well.

xool

I also think days gone launching the same day as Anthem is terrible for Bend Studio. This could have been an E3 where Sony flexed a little and stole Microsofts thunder even after their great e3 conference, but they held back or didn't care.

Meh - I think it will be ok, just fine. Actually it looks like DaysGone won't set the world on fire like GOW/HZD (not saying it will be bad) - so reduced expectations and less spotlight at launch could be a good think. It can have a long sales tail and be fine. Doesn't have to all be pre-orders.

MrDanGuy

I’ll accept another point of view if that point of view has some factual basis and not just a bunch of claims based on nothing.

Yours didn’t.

The end.
You are just dogmatic. Accept it.

What I see with Ghost is something that rivals PC gamings high end graphics. Please tell me how the PS4 Pro will compare to a 2k PC.

Michele

you.
Nintendo only got 3 votes? What the hell, man?! Why are you NOT voting for him?! You SHOULD HAVE VOTED FOR HIM, and YET you DID not DO anything, you fools!

Top Bottom