• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Meta] Who won E3?

Who won E3?

• EA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 204 49.6%
  • Bethesda

Votes: 28 6.8%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Ubisoft

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • PC gaming

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • Sony

Votes: 120 29.2%
  • Nintendo

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • Devolver

Votes: 19 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kagero

My decision is based off of if I had to keep one console what would that be, and it’s clear after E3 that I cannot live without a PS4. The PS4 is my pick even though I rated the MS as a conference higher.

Yeah. And immediately deleted the tweet and later apologized by saying it was "lost in translation" because he's French (which is bullshit, "fake" should be a quite universally understood term, and that's pretty much the only thing he said).

It wouldn't be the first time for Sony, I guess. We'll see.

Codes 208

The only difference now with the struggles between naughty dog and crystal dynamics is that ms isnt there for CD to cry behind

I mean seriously, grow up, if theres downgrades therell be downgrades but naughty dog are tech wizards so i have no reason to believe they cant pull it off (even if that means cross-gen)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You are just dogmatic. Accept it.

What I see with Ghost is something that rivals PC gamings high end graphics. Please tell me how the PS4 Pro will compare to a 2k PC.
And what I see in Ghost is something that can be visually compared to God of War, a title that is currently available on PS4.

nowhat

It wouldn't be the first time for Sony, I guess. We'll see.
Oh sure, not denying that. Killzone 2 is infamous (hah!) for it (although in Guerrillas defense, they just made a clip along the lines of "this is what we want to do" when they just barely had a polygon running on PS3, then someone at Sony just decided to include it in the E3 reel - this is referenced in the Noclip documentary).

But it's not like other publishers don't do this. Watch Dogs anyone? Also everyone's favourite, CDPR, did have quite a downgrade from the Witcher 3 E3 reveal to the actual product.

Personally, while I'm sure some/lot of the demo was scripted, the way things played out was just too convenient, I'm willing to give ND the benefit of the doubt. Animation blending was already good on the original game. On UC4, it can be at times just unbelievable. And they've had quite a few years to work on the engine (Lost Legacy was just pretty much the UC4 engine). To make such another leap as seen in the demo - it is hard to believe, but it is possible. When it comes to Sony's first party studios, Naughty Dog is the one says "hold my beer" when people say "welp, I guess I've seen everything the PS hardware is capable of".

Zannegan

Is it just me, or did Activision have nigh on zero presence at this E3? They picked up Shadows Die Twice and then... what? Where are they? I don't even remember seeing a Call of Duty demo. For the gaming company that has historically been one of the biggest in gaming, their near total absence seems a little suspect. Are they just prepping for next gen or what?

wipeout364

Is it just me, or did Activision have nigh on zero presence at this E3? They picked up Shadows Die Twice and then... what? Where are they? I don't even remember seeing a Call of Duty demo. For the gaming company that has historically been one of the biggest in gaming, their near total absence seems a little suspect. Are they just prepping for next gen or what?
I noticed this as well usually COD is showcased at one of the two big conferences and I don’t even remember it being referenced. Seemed really strange but I have to admit I’m not buying this year’s COD with no campaign. But it feels like it’s been a long time since we had as E3 without COD being marketed by one of the big three.

Gander

Banned
Microsoft won E3 but can they deliver? They can afford no more game cancellations or they might as well flush their momentum down the toilet.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nyke+Needam+Beast+Mode.png

welcome back microsoft we missed ya

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Even though a lot of what Microsoft had for show were multiplatform releases, I felt like their conference was the most exciting, there was never a dull moment. Almost makes me want to get an Xbox one X...

Blam

Even though a lot of what Microsoft had for show were multiplatform releases, I felt like their conference was the most exciting, there was never a dull moment. Almost makes me want to get an Xbox one X...

Hey at least you've got a bunch of shit to play on it even if it's multiplats and a couple exclusives. Best place to play no doubt.

kischine

I can't vote but I'd say Microsoft. I don't have an Xbox but I can play almost all of those games on PC or PS4.

oldergamer

Sony had the best looking of exclusive games, but MS had more and a far bigger variety. Also I'm not sure how many of the sony exclusives will come next year. I think almost all of MS's titles announced will come out by fall 2019. With a few exceptions

Microsoft. Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 looked better, the gameplay portions, than the gameplay portions of sony’s games, ori looked like a piece of art and even crackdown 3 , in a world of very cinematic “games”, looked mighty fine with its cell shaded colorful look . The halo teaser was out of this world but I believe this will be next gen. Also the commitment they showed with al, the new studios and even announcing they are developing a new console was just what they needed . They also had some top third party games in there and cyberpunk. Oh and Spencer is charismatic so an extra point for him.

From Sony I loved spider man and the samurai game, hated TLOU2 (which is turning into schlock if the footage they showed was indicative of the game’s mood) and don’t have an opinion on death stranding. I loved RE2 and since it was in sony’s showing, kudos to them for that too.

Last edited:

Halo0629

Bethesda won for me. Sony and Ms are also good but was also underwhelming but I can understand it because they're now preping up for next gen.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Despite a terrible format, in terms of what conference produced the games I’m interested in the most, Sony had RE2 gameplay trailer, so Sony wins E3. But it’s close. If the Cyberpunk 2077 segment that ended the MS conference had gameplay, instead of just a trailer, MS would have had a clear and obvious victory. Sony dropped the ball, but it was saved by my personal interest.

Last edited:

pr0cs

MS showed a lot of great multiplatform games. But since they have so little to offer in term of exclusives, I'm not sure we can ultimately call that a "win".
You can when you know those multiplat will all run better on one x

I'm not buying anything anymore on my PS4 except NBA 2K19, will not buy an Xbox One X console to replace my PC and will be getting Smash, Daemon X Machina, Pokemon Let's Go, Fortnite (downloaded already), Hollow Knight (bought already), Starlink and many more quality indies that I want to play on-the-go on the Switch. Nintendo wins.

quickwhips

Microsoft had a good conference Should have Been Sony with Spider-Man. That weird ass recorder guy. Bethesda was fun also though.

For me, Sony won, because it had exclusives and several of them. Microsoft had a ton of games, but I don't believe there was a single game that was exclusive to Xbox. Every game was either cross platform or on Xbox and PC. This would be fine if the conference were about Windows as well, but this is a conference about Xbox. If you already own a PC, why would you buy an Xbox 1? Sony's given numerous reasons to purchase a PS4 even if you own a super high end PC. They have actual exclusives and encourage people to purchase their console. Not only with the exclusives they already have out, but they have several games coming up, which they showed at E3. And I do believe this is a big reason why Xbox has been outsold so badly by PS4. While I have all three systems, the number of Xbox 1 exclusives is pitiful. It's Rare Replay, Sunset Overdrive, Halo MCC, Halo 5, and I believe there's one or two others That's it. Everything else is at least on PC. I semi-understand the philosophy of getting people to play Windows, but when hardware sales are not as lucrative, when the traditional philosophy is lose on the hardware but make a ton on the software, Microsoft is failing mightily here. But they have a ton of great games, and a ton of stuff not on PS4, but I can't say they're winning when their philosophy is actively pushing people who own a PC from buying a X1.

Microsoft is #2 for me.

Nintendo was #3. It was Mario Party and SSB for me. Unfortunately, they didn't talk about other major projects, but they have Directs where they'd likely announce them. But this was mostly about SSB. Which is fine, but way too much of their video was about SSB.

Bethesda is #4. The only reason it wasn't an utter fail is the acknowledgement and official announcements of Starfield and TES6. Unfortunately, Starfield won't be coming out until at least late 2019, and more likely 2020, and TES6 won't be coming out until after Starfield, so likely 2020 at the absolute earliest, with 20201 being more likely. Otherwise, it was Rage 2 an Wolfenstein. Which is fine, but not enough. A big amount of time was spent on mobile, which I don't care about at all. But the fact they did announce Starfield and TES6 is really exciting and made the conference worth it. I just wish we could learn more. The reason why they're behind Nintendo is Nintendo's games are actually coming out soon, even though I'm far less hyped for them than Bethesda's.

Don't really care about the other three conferences tbh. More sports, more Just Dance, more AC, more PC game ports. So whatever.

fbutron

How MS can win if was only CGI and trailers no gameplay at all

The pacing was good however, voted for bethesda

Last edited:

MoogleMan

I have a gaming PC, PS4 Pro and Switch. I can play anything shown at e3.
Therefore, I win.

Seriously though, sony would be my choice. Last of us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima were the standouts for me, but super mario party and ori and the will of the wisps were right up there too. SmashU too, though it's exactly what I expected it to be, so I'm not too surprised with it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I find it funny this who won debate.

We are gamers and Microsoft showed off more games than anybody, they are being criticised that they showed off a lot of multiplat games which people are downgrading them on. they showed 18 exclusive games to.

Sony from what I can see showed 4 great games and the rest was ok games. from what am reading their presentation was awful, but Spiderman looks great and Last of us 2 which was a limited demo looked good. but the thing with Sonys presentation it did include multiplat games like Call of Duty and Resident Evil 2.
nobody seems to be calling Sony on showing the multiplat games as they are Microsoft

From what I am seeing on forums Resident Evil 2 is one of the most talked about games at E3 and Sony won E3 because they showed it off yet its a Multiplat game, Cyberpunk was shown at Microsofts E3 and all am seeing is well I can play that on Playstation so its irrelevant that its shown at Microsoft

FranXico

We are gamers and Microsoft showed off more games than anybody, they are being criticised that they showed off a lot of multiplat games which people are downgrading them on. they showed 18 exclusive games to.

Sony from what I can see showed 4 great games and the rest was ok games. from what am reading their presentation was awful, but Spiderman looks great and Last of us 2 which was a limited demo looked good. but the thing with Sonys presentation it did include multiplat games like Call of Duty and Resident Evil 2.
nobody seems to be calling Sony on showing the multiplat games as they are Microsoft

From what I am seeing on forums Resident Evil 2 is one of the most talked about games at E3 and Sony won E3 because they showed it off yet its a Multiplat game, Cyberpunk was shown at Microsofts E3 and all am seeing is well I can play that on Playstation so its irrelevant that its shown at Microsoft

Well, it's true. It does go both ways. Just keep in mind that showing multiplatform games is something you do to complement your first party content.
And Sony did show gameplay (or at the very least, in-engine demos) of extremely anticipated first party games.
MS made a pledge to get there too, which is good, but results aren't coming overnight. That might explain people are more forgiving to Sony about the multiplats.

WaterAstro

RE2 was just something we were waiting and hoping for since they teased it with some short video and tshirt. For several conferences, we just kept hoping it was coming, and it finally came, so it's a megaton.

I don't think Cyberpunk announcement is that big because it was already announced and expected. We also already know CDPR are deep in Microsoft's marketing budget. I actually find Devil May Cry 5 to be an actual megaton compared to Cyberpunk.

Microsoft had a better conference. But I can't vote they won because I still don't need an Xbox. And all their multiplat showings I can play elsewhere. So basically it was multiplatform game press conference. And they don't get any returns for thier investment in my book.

Sony didn't even try and they still do the best for the fourth consecutive year.

They showed the most gameplay out of everyone. Control and RE2 were huge announcements too.

MS just did a PS4/PC third party showcase. Xbox is still irrelevant for years to come when even their new studios will have PC versions of their games. Plus they had several announcements without any gameplay or other substance to resonate with people.

No contest. :)

Whitecrow

Banned
For me personally, Sony. Microsoft show a lot more games, but I'm far more interested of the few Sony shown that anything (Except Forza Horizon 4) from MS.

daibaron

Banned
Why are people complaining about sony's cinematic games and genre fatigue? Shouldnt they make a sequel to a very sucessfull game like TLOU? People would prefer a world without GOW, HZD and UC4? Really? Perhaps no more Tomb raider too for xbox.

But somehow the speech changes when it is microsoft and people are even claiming a victory for ms! With what exactly? Their call of duty like year on year forza releases when we already had an avalanche of great driving games recently. Halo infinite we just saw some close ups of really nice textures , nothing more, zero gameplay. But it is not that bad since horizon 4 looks very nice and maybe the new halo will be a return to form.

If you take the car games from ms and the cinematic 3rd person games from sony, who will be left with more to offer?

Nikodemos

I'd say for number and variety of games, Microsoft.

Honourable mention to PC Gamer (nice, compact conference) and Devolver (for continuing the insanity).

Wonkytonk

If I was able to vote, I’d vote Microsoft.

Sony’s games looked fantastic and they are exclusive. Microsoft’s structure and delivery of their conference was extremely polished, but many of the games can be played elsewhere.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Well, it's true. It does go both ways. Just keep in mind that showing multiplatform games is something you do to complement your first party content.
And Sony did show gameplay (or at the very least, in-engine demos) of extremely anticipated first party games.
MS made a pledge to get there too, which is good, but results aren't coming overnight. That might explain people are more forgiving to Sony about the multiplats.

Again all down to preference, Microsoft showed in game footage of gears 5 Forza horizon 4 and Ori plus many others. Yes Gears isn't this year or Halo but many games where. I just feel a lot of people are anti Microsoft at the moment and over all they showed more games and thats what we are here for

phil_t98

#SonyToo
RE2 was just something we were waiting and hoping for since they teased it with some short video and tshirt. For several conferences, we just kept hoping it was coming, and it finally came, so it's a megaton.

I don't think Cyberpunk announcement is that big because it was already announced and expected. We also already know CDPR are deep in Microsoft's marketing budget. I actually find Devil May Cry 5 to be an actual megaton compared to Cyberpunk.

you have contradicted yourself there as we knew Resident Evil was coming and had been announced, Both games it was the first time footage was shown. Again Capcom are deep in Sonys marketing budget just look at street fighter

to me both games look great and both deserve the hype but one got more buzz just because it was at Sonys conference

Allandor

Well it was Ubisoft for me.
They had the conference the others should have. They should trailers and gameplay and didn't talk to much ;).

Top Bottom