• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Microsoft E3 2018 Conference (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate Microsoft's E3 2018 Conference

• A

Votes: 157 28.5%
  • B

Votes: 212 38.5%
  • C

Votes: 103 18.7%
  • D

Votes: 31 5.6%
  • F

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Phil Spencer pulls off the denim reasonably well

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This conference was shit, to be quite honest. Not a single thing left me impressed.

Halo Infinite returning to the classic art style was honestly the biggest takeaway for me.

Bönthö

Neo Member
That was a great and best ms conference gaming wise, but not so much for xbox only. You could argue that there still isn't that big of a reason to buy an xbox. A promising future for MS, but nothing unexpected in the near future

MadYarpen

Best part of cyberpunk's trailer was how it started lol. Although there were some bits suggesting it will be dark.

To much daylight though...

nowhat

I thought it was a good conference for MS. They've been criticized in the past (rightfully, in my opinion) for focusing too much on other things than games, and while that did happen a bit here too, mostly it was all about the games which was great. I thought they went a bit overboard with it even - there were some games in the mandatory indie reel that looked very interesting, but they were shown too briefly.

The studio acquisitions, while some of them complete non-brainers, was good stuff. Good luck to Ninja Theory in their new home. Hopefully MS gives them both enough resources and time to make great games.

Which brings me to the exclusive announcements (like in the true sense of the word, not some launch console exclusivity BS), and while there where some surprises (those two Gears spinoffs, Battletoads - not sure what I feel about either though), mostly they were playing it rather safe. Which is understandable, established franchises are easy to sell. But I hope with the new hires there'll be more variety. New IPs even.

One thing was downright bizarre though. You've just barely released the One X. And now you're already hinting at new hardware? Seems like an odd strategy.

astroglide

I thought it was great. The 5 new studios gives me confidence in them. The other games that were exclusive are all games I love. I'm glad they mentioned streaming games to phones. Thats big for me. Only disappointment was no official x price drop and no fable. 9 out of 10. Also getting japanese games and finally neir comming to x1

Mahadev

Microsoft has been showing the same 4 franchises in E3 for more than a decade now, Halo, Forza, Gears, Crackdown. The only news worthy surprise was Ninja Theory.

The Cyberpunk trailer was awesome though.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
As a "General Gaming" presser, it was a solid B, 7.5-8/10 for me.

As an Xbox presser? 4/10. D. My god that was shite for Xbox. New IPs/Returning IPs were few and far between and the majority of them do not have a release date or are stuck with a tentative "2019". Xbox needs games NOW. Not next year. They failed rather hard.

Codes 208

It was good. Nothing too memorable. But nothing terrible.

Though im still miffed that we waited three years just for a in-engine teaser for the next halo...

That said, hyped for cyperpunk, shadows die twice, ori and gears 5

Last edited:

Zannegan

Solid conference, not a lot of exclusives, especially not for this year, but solid nonetheless. I'm waffling between an A and a B.

The new studios are a great move. Ninja Theory (whose games are usually... not my cup of tea) was a big get for them, not the least for their low-cost, high-quality motion-capture tech.

I wonder what they'll do with Battletoads.

Disappointed that Cyberpunk was just a CG trailer.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The studio acquisitions, while some of them complete non-brainers, was good stuff. Good luck to Ninja Theory in their new home. Hopefully MS gives them both enough resources and time to ma
One thing was downright bizarre though. You've just barely released the One X. And now you're already hinting at new hardware? Seems like an odd strategy.
Not really. X was just a souped up one, gotta make a new next gen before Ps5 next year.

Allandor

overall great conference. Missing Fable and Age of Empires 4
The biggest surprise for me was them mentioning their next console, felt like they were really throwing the gauntlet down to Sony by announcing they had a ton of new first party studios and a hardware team already focused on winning the next-gen.

Curious about how Xbox One X owners would take that message.
this was just a message that there will be a next xbox, nothing more. Just to take away the wind from some rumors.

the gears pop ... Well I thought "not the ea way, please" but hey a new gears and a new gears ... Now EA where is the new C&C

Iced Arcade

A for me.

Halo 6, gears 6, gamepass showing its amazingness off and MS massively bulking up the 1st party alone was an A for me.

kischine

Really good conference, they showed me at least 4 games I'm definitely going to play (not on an Xbox tho). I wasn't expecting much and to me this is probably going to be the best conference in E3 unless some miracle happens.

Seventy5

Solid show, I really liked some of the indie stuff. DMC5 and Shadows Die Twice were a huge shock to see on the MS stage. Division 2 looked great, Tomb Raider was meh. IDGAF about Battletoads, but Gears Tactics looks like my kinda shit even though I'm not a huge Gears fan.

8/10 for Xbox owners
6/10 for everybody else
10/10 for buying Ninja Theory, Playground and Undead Labs. Get a better budget on State of Decay!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would rate this conference 9/10, they showed nice amount of both Japanese games and western games.

CuNi

I think it was straight A.
They showed they listen and start to invest in first party, so the future looks good, also listened and went ahead to get some of the more known Studios.
Also, getting Cyberpunk left me blown away, as well as getting Shadows Die Twice.. Honestly, I was dead sure that would be a PS4 exclusive before that trailer.

thelastword

Banned
I'm sorry but 13 exclusives and then you go on to name;

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves content
Cuphead content
Horizon 4
Gears Pop
Gears Tactics
Gears 5
Halo Infinite (where both that and Gears looks to be far away)....

...and a whole heap of games that's only world premiere, but coming to every platform....

So no new exclusives really......It's pretty much what you expect from MS, right now you just wait to hear delays for Gears and Halo, because they're not coming in 2018, perhaps not even 2019.

Last edited:

ZehDon

No gameplay. Damn. Still, glad to have SOMETHING more on Cyberpunk.

Overall, I'll give this conference a C+. Better than EA's D-, but that's a low fucking bar. It was well put together, well paced, and well presented - I can't fault Micrsosoft's use of the stage. And the first party acquisitions were good to see, but - as with everything Xbox this gen - it's mostly promises for the next year, the next console, the next gen, without delivering.

Grabbing new first parties should've been something they did when their brand imploded at reveal, and certainly something they should've done when Sony took back their market share with thunder and flourish. Falling back on Forza, Gears, Halo, etc., has worn out its impact. I'm just not excited for new entries in these franchises. Tunic felt more interesting to me than Gears 5, and it's on a fraction of the scale and budget. Their new purchases won't start paying off for three or more years, which puts them firmly into next gen. This entire generation has been a bust for Xbox - we went nowhere fast in glorious 4K. Xbox desperately needs to prove it's relevance. Where's Xbox's God of War? It's Horizon Zero Dawn? It's Mario, it's Zelda, it's big, proud, confident statement that says "This is why we matter", that shows us all why developers want to work with Microsoft, and why we all need to own an Xbox. On Playstation, we've got an embarrassment of riches. On Xbox, they've got both kinds of games - Gears and Halo. Hopefully Microsoft can deliver on this stuff next gen, and learn from the beating they've taken for this one.

See you all at the Bethesda conference!

Bönthö

Neo Member
I was an entertaining one, but basically a "general gaming" conference and not so much about xbox only. Not necessarily a bad thing though

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I think it was a good show for games, but I don't think it's going to do much for the Xbox brand because I still think they're lacking in the exclusive department.

They acquired Ninja Theory, which is pretty big and I'm interested to see what they're going to do.

mave198

Solid C. No huge exclusive new IP announcements, and any acquisitions won't bear fruit for a loooooooong time.

But they focused on games games and more games.

MayauMiao

It doesn't look like this conference was enough to convince me to pick up an Xbox.

While the show looks solid, lots of the game I want can pretty much be pick up on the PS4 and PC.

rokkerkory

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves content
Cuphead content
Horizon 4
Gears Pop
Gears Tactics
Gears 5

...and a whole leap of games that's only world premiere, but coming to every platform....

So no new exclusives really......It's pretty much what you expect from MS, right now you just wait to hear delays for Gears and Halo, because they're not coming in 2018, perhaps not even 2019.

Ah mr downplay here at last. This response is more expected than what MS has been showing for ‘last 10 years’.

RPGCrazied

Probably a C for me. Not really into Halo or Forza. Might try getting into Gears if the narrative is strong. No Fable is a major disappointment though.

FunkMiller

The amount of people here saying they’ll play a lot of that stuff on PlayStation speaks volumes as to why this was overall a poor conference for Xbox... but a good one for gaming in general.

WaterAstro

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves content
Cuphead content
Horizon 4
Gears Pop
Gears Tactics
Gears 5

...and a whole leap of games that's only world premiere, but coming to every platform....

Yeah, they didn't need that bulletpoint. It's like they're massaging themselves, making themselves feel good.

It's just so disingenuous, and even that Forza live demo was so staged.

e0n

This was a very solid conference, plus or minus if you like games with realistic settings and third-person shooters/action. Doesn't have a landmark exclusive, though.

NahaNago

I think it was a good show for games, but I don't think it's going to do much for the Xbox brand because I still think they're lacking in the exclusive department.

They acquired Ninja Theory, which is pretty big and I'm interested to see what they're going to do.

I think if this had been at a non E3 xbox fan event then this conference would have been huge.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Not odd at all. The X is just a mid-gen refresh and it's a no-brainer that they're working on the next gen Xbox. I skipped the X as I don't do mid-gen refreshes, but this reassured me that the next Xbox is close and will probably be worth it since the new first parties will have titles ready to show by then.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Gamepass is sounding better and better. That may be the biggest win coming out of this conference.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I missed a lot of this. Seemed like it was dominated by third-parties. Not a bad thing though. I hope that Tales game Xbox only.

Gamepass is sounding better and better. That may be the biggest win coming out of this conference.
Is it like PS now?

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Great conference, some really good announcements.
That said, it didn’t do too much to change the exclusive situation if you look at what they announced from that perspective.
Hopefully the studio purchases will help in the future but overall it was a step in the right direction.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
MS did a good job and I give them a solid B. I realize that in this participation trophy world anything less than an A+ is considered an insult, but a B is pretty good.

What disappointed me:
1. Absolutely no time devoted to Xbox One X. I was really hoping that MS would talk about the power of this console and at the very least made a list of older games getting patches to unlock it's full potential. This didn't need to be long by any means, but it would have shown those that bought it that it is that they are committed to making it the best. Enhancing 360 BC games is the most impressive feature available on the X1X and they had an opportunity to take a few minutes here to showcase it. Nothing big, but even a minute would have gone a long way. Both MS and Sony have been HUGE disappointments in showcasing the power and benefits of their more powerful consoles. I expected MS to take the ball and run with it, but they didn't.
2. The Fallout 76 trailer was pointless. It barely showed anything more than what had already been shown and really that time could have been spent showing something else. More will be shown at the Bethesda press conference obviously, but that didn't do anything for Fallout 76 other than to remind others that Bethesda and MS are BFFs.
3. The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer wasn't all that impressive. I have little doubt that it will be a great game, but given that MS wanted to make this the final word on their show, they really needed to show more. It felt like a game I had seen before. Again, I know it will be a day 1 purchase and have little doubt it will be a masterpiece, but still they could have made major headwaves, but missed.

What excited me:
1. They're commitment to building their first party brand was great. This is really truly the best move they can make. I have already seen people say "MS had to moneyhat these studios" Bullshit. MS made the 100% smart decision by buying these studios so they can have the resources they deserve to make the games they want for their platform. I am against moneyhatting exclusive games, I am 100% support of buying up studios to improve their first party brand.
2. They're commitment to japanese games is impressive given that Sony seems to have those down lock and key.

Great conference, overall.

FunkMiller

I hope for MS PR that Sony aren’t lying about their line up, and aren’t about to drop a big new exclusive like RE2 with VR, or something similar.

Top Bottom