• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Microsoft E3 2018 Conference (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate Microsoft's E3 2018 Conference

• A

Votes: 157 28.5%
  • B

Votes: 212 38.5%
  • C

Votes: 103 18.7%
  • D

Votes: 31 5.6%
  • F

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Phil Spencer pulls off the denim reasonably well

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AudioEppa

I give it a F. But it was more like a D+

As a non (and never will be) Xbox owner. I was cool seeing some games I’ll be playing on PS4. Non of their exclusive content interest me. And all I’ll say about their new studios is this. Let them be, Don’t make past mistakes.

Alx

I voted B, but it's more a B- or a C+. It was slightly better than the previous years with a handful of games that seem interesting, but not that much better. It managed to surprise me with the Ninja Theory purchase and the Cyberpunk trailer, so that's that.
It's still lacking "wacky games", and didn't have cool tech demos this year (barely mentioning AI and streaming doesn't count).

rokkerkory

The amount of people here saying they’ll play a lot of that stuff on PlayStation speaks volumes as to why this was overall a poor conference for Xbox... but a good one for gaming in general.

The rating so far is a B and A as close second. You have very selective reading.

DavidGzz

Forza Horizon with the 60fps mode! Can't wait to play the best console versions of all of these games! Awesome acquisitions too! Gamepass will be a must during the holidays. MS killed it. Looking forward to the other conferences!

jowell24

It was a good conference and they showed lots of games, which is what I want from any presentation at E3. Exclusives did not convince me, mainly because there wasn't any new and show-stopping IP announcement (in my opinion).

The conference just said to me "Look forward to 2019/2020 and beyond for these new releases" meaning that 2018 will be a sparse year for Xbox games.

I'd give a B for the games, but taking everything into account like release dates and new IPs, It's a B-/C for me.

Lort

Banned
I give it a F. But it was more like a D+

As a non (and never will be) Xbox owner. I was cool seeing some games I’ll be playing on PS4. Non of their exclusive content interest me. And all I’ll say about their new studios is this. Let them be, Don’t make past mistakes.

Lol

DavidGzz

Funny when Sony shows GoW in 2016(comes out 2 years later) it gets sooooo much praise but when MS shows games a ways out, "whatever man, I guess MS wants us to look forward to early 2019. Soooo far away man."

KiteGr

As a non-XBone owner, my biggest butt-hurt was them buying Ninja Theory! They where a fucking good studio, with fantastic story and acting talent.

Besides that, there was nothing ales to convince me getting their console.
Most of the tittles where non-exclusives, or timed exclusives, so I just enjoyed watching some trailers.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'm not upset, but I'm not happy. Wasn't my cup of tea.

But I'm thrilled for the people that did enjoy it. Congrats..

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My #1 game is from 2016, Crackdown 3. FH4 having a 60fps mode is great, I can't stand the sluggishness in the previous two.

I hope MS doesn't ruin the studios they bought like they did with most the others.

makaveli60

I think it was amazing, this will be one of the strongest E3s ever if it's starting like this. Now I have to decide if I will buy a One S or One X. If I knew that there won't be any graphical differences in the exclusives besides resolution and framerate, then I would buy the S.

duhmetree

The games they showed were a solid B+, borderline A. ( Sekiro, DMC5, DL2, CP2077 )

But I will not be playing any of them on a Xbox. That's an issue, isn't it?

Last edited:

The_Struggle

Neo Member
They showed games so thats good right? The game studio accquasitions were a good sign for more exclusives so future is pretty bright for Microsoft and for the industry. good competition will push the big 3 to make some great games solid B.

jowell24

Funny when Sony shows GoW in 2016(comes out 2 years later) it gets sooooo much praise but when MS shows games a ways out, "whatever man, I guess MS wants us to look forward to early 2019. Soooo far away man."

Good point. But Microsoft today didn't give us a solid and exciting 10 minute (legitimate - which is rare at E3 presentations) gameplay that actually delivered what it showed when the final game released.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Ah mr downplay here at last. This response is more expected than what MS has been showing for ‘last 10 years’.
Tbh, Tunic was the most interesting game they showed. The only thing that was a surprise to me is the acquisition of Ninja Theory....Still, that gamepass director did not come off as convinced at all, yet, MS is already talking about a new XBOX towards the end of the conference which suggests they're starting to round off this gen....They announce two of their biggest franchises Halo and Gears, but they won't appear on a console anytime soon. It may not be this forum, but I remember an XBOX fan who said Halo 6 was a lock this year, but not even infinite is landing this year.

So was battletoads the only new exclusive announcement ?
Well, that announcement was pretty much nothing. No gameplay, not even a screen, not even CGI.

I rate it an A.

It was a good show case of games. Mostly multiplatform games but still a well put together show.

Still not going to buy an Xbox though. Already have a PC.

Last edited:

duhmetree

Forgetting one major issue... Sony has a plethora of exclusive games.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Great show with lots of games. Disappointed by gow5 and the announce of battletoads with only the logo.

Could be because i was expecting a mediocre show.

A good conference i feel, but i will say it seems like Microsoft is more so ready for next gen than this gen. It took so many years for 18 "exclusives". And that tweet from Phil going to japan was all for what? KH3, a Shonen Jump game that i guarantee will be mediocre and old ass tales of vesperia? Did he have to beg to get those games on xbox?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Did they not show the Halo MCC update?

No, but they did mention it was coming to Game Pass later this year that will perhaps coincide with the "relaunch"

thelastword

Banned
True, but I kinda did forget Gears. So that makes 2 new exclusives even if we only got one trailer.
You talking about Gears pop and Gears tactics? they're still based on a current IP however......Tbh, when I first saw Gears Pop, I thought they were doing lego Gears for a minute...

Did they not show the Halo MCC update?
I think that is coming later this year, but it will be on gamepass. I think that makes sense.....

Ridcully

The list of real exclusives isn't as good as it could have been - a lot of the stuff shown I'll be playing elsewhere - but I think this conference shows they finally get that they should be talking about games. Bodes well for the future.

Lilseb93

I'd give it a B because it was a great conference, but there wasn't enough first party exclusives that's not Halo, Forza, and Gears of War. Most of the games are multiplats I'll be playing on other consoles. Buying developers and making new IPs for the future is a step in the right direction though.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Looked to me like a good laying of foundation for the future. I'd give it a B. I'm up for getting rid of my PS4 and Switch for an XBX and seeing out the rest of this generation playing multis on the best console they can be played on*

(*this may change if Sony blow me away with a load of exclusives that float my boat, but for all the talk of their exclusive dominance there's nothing really on the horizon that does it for me...)

NahaNago

You talking about Gears pop and Gears tactics? they're still based on a current IP however......Tbh, when I first saw Gears Pop, I thought they were doing lego Gears for a minute...

Gears 5 with the female main character. I've never played gears so I don't know here name.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People are always trashing Sony for announcing games early without release dates.

But there's also a difference because people want more games from MS and they're lacking in that department.

Petrae

I'd actually give Microsoft a B+, but since we've giving strict letter grades, it's a B.

+ Lots of trailers, lots of games
+ Some needed exclusives (though many were timed)
+ Avoided many past pitfalls, such as cars on stage, awkward celebrities, etc.

- Too many Phil Spencer monologues, which ran too long
- That Division 2 "gameplay" demo, complete with fake-ass "gamerspeak"

Those two negatives are pretty pet peeves of mine. Talking heads talking is a waste of my time. I'm not watching these events to hear a guy go on and on about "community" and "world-building" and other bullshit. Phil Spencer has decent stage presence, but hearing a guy talk and talk an talk kills the show's pacing. And that Division 2 demo was fucking shameful. People have given Ubi shit for its scripted gamerspeak in demos for years, and they simply don't give a fuck. Hey, Ubi: NOBODY TALKS LIKE THAT ONLINE. It's a "How do you do, fellow kids?" moment that just makes the publisher-- and Microsoft, by proxy, for greenlighting this nonsense for its stage-- look out of touch.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of the slap at solo game players that the Playground Games rep took during the Horizon 4 demo. I love your game, dude, but that was pretty shitty. The fact that Battletoads is being outsourced was avoided during the reveal and damages my excitement for the game.

Negatives aside, Microsoft did bring the games, and generally in rapid-fire succession (when Spencer wasn't chattering on and on). The promise of Xbox One X enhancement for at least a few of these multiplatform games shown means that I'm going to get them for the X and not my aging PS4, including Kingdom Hearts III, Tales of Vesperia Definitive, and (maybe) Devil May Cry 5. I felt, after the show, like the Xbox One X still has viability as a platform-- and that's a good thing.

wachie

So Microsoft bought some studios which were already making exclusive games for them and showed mostly a bunch of multi-plat games.

Xbox sales for this year are going to be rough.

Shouta

I gave it a C for it being pretty standard. It has titles but they haven't really shown anything that makes me want to own the console alongside the ones I already have.

oagboghi2

The difference is when Sony showed GoW that wasn't their only exclusive game. You still had other exclusive games coming in that 2 year time span. Not even Nintendo makes that mistake

B for me.

A few things I liked, Forza being the main one. Racing is coming home!
Halo gave me a good vibe although I'm not the biggest fan of the series
Crackdown looks fun, deal with it! - no cloud destruction multi shown though??????
Some good variety
Great commitment from Phil with new studios, next gen hardware promises, cloud AI etc
Cool ending!

Negative - A few too many drawn out shooty bang bang type games which didn't impress me.

Top Bottom