• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Microsoft E3 2018 Conference (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate Microsoft's E3 2018 Conference

• A

Votes: 157 28.5%
  • B

Votes: 212 38.5%
  • C

Votes: 103 18.7%
  • D

Votes: 31 5.6%
  • F

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Phil Spencer pulls off the denim reasonably well

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FranXico

They basically prevented Sony from showing a bunch of multi-platform games at their show. Most of what was shown was expected, including the buyouts.

So Microsoft bought some studios which were already making exclusive games for them [...]

That makes sense, and it's fine. I'll miss Ninja Theory though.

Barakov

I'd rate it a solid B. Really looking forward to FH4. 2019 will be good for first party but 2018 looks really weak.

Halo0629

Never had a xbox one but I'll give them a B, it's a pretty good show compared to last year and the year before that. Ninja theory was a huge surprised.

Odinnii

I give it B.

Pretty solid, game focused showing. They still have a problem with exclusives and ill probably pick up most multiplats on the pc over X1X.

Dory16

Banned
Is anyone else unable to find Fallout 4, morrowind online or the division on Game Pass?
Thought they announced it would be available straight away

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
One specific thing I was surprised to not see was an Elite Controller v2 reveal. Those leaked pics back in January seemed pretty legit...

Wolven

Neo Member
Nice show, I give it a B+. Too bad MS didn’t present new first party exclusive beside the usual forza,gears and halo.

rated it a C...a lot that was announced is also coming to ps4..

gears 5 will be nice but everything else...tasters choice.

cant wait for sony and nintendo!

OH-MyCar

I gave it a B. A lot of games they showed were multiplats, but they really hit it home how they're focusing on exclusives for the future in a way that they never have before. I was also shocked to see such a presence of Japanese titles again because that's the #1 thing that keeps my PS4 as my "primary system" over my Xbone. If they worked on their relationship with Sega again, I'd be in heaven.

On the bad side: I was expecting some much bigger bombshells on Game Pass, and they didn't really deliver on that front IMO. Also, with no Game Pass or GWG revelations, it looks like we all really did get currency for a F2P title as one of our GWG "games" this month. That's a bummer.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Solid B from me added studios showed enough to make me feel good about the 90 I spent on 18 months of gamepass this weekend. Only disappointing thing was hoping for date for next batch of bc OG xbox games.

Dibils2k

anyone who votes below C should just stop following games and should stop watching e3

that was an amazing show, something for everyone. 9.5/10 as a show, 7.5/10 as a Xbox sell

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Microsoft did great, I think. Everyone's complaints up til now have been "Xbox has no games" and this presser confirmed they hear us loud and clear and I felt like they delivered. Even though I know a lot of these games will be multi-plat, as an owner of an X and a Pro, I feel like they aren't just blowing smoke when they say "it plays best on Xbox". I was also surprised that Microsoft brought the Japanese developers onboard in big way. Buying Ninja Theory as well as showing Kingdom Hearts III, Jump Heroes, Devil May Cry 5 - all really great looking.

Well done Microsoft, the others will have to try pretty hard to top this.

Leonidas

I gave them an A for the following reasons.
  • Gears of War 5
  • Ninja Theory
  • Session [Skate]
  • Halo Infinite
  • Great looking 1st and 3rd party games running on X hardware
  • commitment to setting the benchmark for next-generation consoles
  • cool CyberPunk reveal

Havoc2049

Cool that they are doing something new with the Forza Horizon franchise and going the Test Drive Unlimited route.

I thought it was a solid conference.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
One specific thing I was surprised to not see was an Elite Controller v2 reveal. Those leaked pics back in January seemed pretty legit...

They didn't talk about the adaptive controller either so I think they are gonna go more into that and elite v2 on inside Xbox. But that's a total guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I didn't get to watch it live, but I watched all the trailers. I'll give it a B. Microsoft does not normal excite me too much but they showed tons of good stuff. Gears, Forza and Ori looked great as expected. Tunic looks really interesting. Lots of good multi plat trailers too - Shadows Die Twice, Cyberpunk, Kingdom Hearts, etc.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
They didn't talk about the adaptive controller either so I think they are gonna go more into that and elite v2 on inside Xbox. But that's a total guess.
Well they already announced the Adaptive Controller....but yeah, I guess revealing version two of an accessory on stage at E3 might not the place. Inside Xbox might be the better place to show it off and go in depth.

Gander

Banned
They showed what they needed to shake the stench of death off the Xbox One. If they can deliver they will have good momentum going into the last generation of consoles.

Who the hell is voting F, and do you actually enjoy games or just X console from Y company?

It seems very few people online still enjoy games, and being a gamer has become a team sport. It’s sad.

I really hope a lot of these people still are on forums in 20 - 30 years, as it will be interesting to see their new levels of curmudgeon when they are old, because they are already angry and cranky as hell.

Me? I’ll keep playing games on all platforms.

Last edited:
I'm between an A and a B. It wasn't a masterclass, but there was too many big deal announcements for it to be just a B. Overall a great show with little weakpoints

Announcements of 5 new studios, 2 of which are a big deal (ninja theory and the initiative), Halo Infinity, Gears 5, Cyberpunk, FromSoftware game, DMC 5, Fallout, were the huge highlights for me. If it wasn't for Halo Infinity showing off that GOAT Halo art style I'd maybe give it a full B

kingwingin

Are any of the games they showed releasing 2018?

No elite 2.0 really shocked me, thought for sure that was real.

Next year will be sweet, will for sure have gears themed console and accessories

Krug

Neo Member
As a pure "games" showing it was easily an A.

As a "give someone a reason to buy a xbox this year" showing it was no better than a C.

All they had to do was show us what is up with Halo 6 and i would have given it an A. Instead we saw nothing but a glimpse of a new engine... thats a terrible way to treat halo fans imo. Wasnt enough that they didnt have squat last e3 too. I think it is clear halo 6 is gonna be a cross gen launch like breath of the wild was with the switch. Sad and awful but what can you do.

Ori looks phenomenal. Forza Horizons looks fantastic. Tunic was really the only surprise outside of a bunch of new studios being bought.

OrionNebula

For me it’s a C

Tired of CG trailers (or mostly CG trailers), cheap PR twists, too many bullshit ‘’launch exclusive’’ (not a fan of those in any case), but at least it seems to show Xbox trying (sad to see Ninja Theory go exclusive, though, but that’s a strong acquisition for MS) even though it was sort of a safe, by the book E3 for MS

MayauMiao

I voted C. Although there were great third party titles premiered, the point for me to watch Xbox conference is for the exclusives.

If I had to include 3rd parties, then maybe B.

Lone Wolf

Gave them a C. It was a decent show, the future is VERY bright. MS set themselves up for a high quality next gen launch. The present is a bit lacking to me. I will be getting Nier though.

VAL0R

Banned
A+
- Halo Infinite, Gears 5, Ori 2, Crackdown 3 and Forza Horizon 4 all looked great
- Playground is hard at work on an open world title.
- 5 studio purchases!
- Doubling down on GamePass (including announcing 3 titles available today).
- Actually stoked about more Sea of Thieves content (free on GP)
- Doubling down on being the best place to play games now and going forward on X1X 2 (implying X1X 2 will be more powerful than PS5)
- MS teasing streaming gaming (to tablet, smartphone and PC - this is the future, ready or not)
- Grabbing a bunch of Japanese developed content, noticeably missing on X lately
- etc.

Iced Arcade

All they had to do was show us what is up with Halo 6 and i would have given it an A. Instead we saw nothing but a glimpse of a new engine... thats a terrible way to treat halo fans imo. Wasnt enough that they didnt have squat last e3 too. I think it is clear halo 6 is gonna be a cross gen launch like breath of the wild was with the switch. Sad and awful but what can you do.

Ori looks phenomenal. Forza Horizons looks fantastic. Tunic was really the only surprise outside of a bunch of new studios being bought.
Halo games have always been announced like this though. Always

VAL0R

Banned
O and Tunic looked really cool! I hope it's as kid friendly as it looked because my kids would love that.

Sekiro looks like the new enhanced Tenchu game I've always wanted. I know some people are lukewarm on it for some reason, but I'm hyped for it.

Mr Hyde

I will give this conference a B+. It was a good showing, with a decent pace, a lot of games and very little of that pesky PR-talk. Microsoft showed us that they haven´t given up on the Xbox One and displayed a wide array of strong titles. Although the majority of them was multiplat MS can now boast that all of them plays better on the X, which gives them a better advantage in the marketing department.

Regarding the exclusives it was a bit thin there, but they gave several signs of a very bright future, with studio acquisitions being one them and a vague hint about new hardware being the other. Too see Microsoft with this kinda hunger and willpower only bodes well for us gamers. It´s good for competition and if Sony slacks off Microsoft is going to stand there as the new lord and saviour of video games. This industry shifts faster than a racing driver in Forza so if MS is playing their cards right they will probably enter the next generation with some well earned goodwill and a strong first party lineup.

Also, the prize for the most beautiful and interesting game of their show goes to Ori and the Will of the Wisps. It looked absolutely magical.

rokkerkory

MS’ message is that they will be around for awhile and the entire company and investors are backing it as well. The future will bring much innovation like streaming and AI where only MS can pull it off. Game Pass is also here to stay and a success. I am sure that will be the main model moving fwd. Also, Phil’s msg that they are working on next seveal xboxes and sounds like xbox will be the most poweful always.

Great for gamers all around.

A+

Wonder how much Undead Labs will benefit from having MS backing them? Ninja Theory and The Initiative excite me the most. Maybe we'll get a teaser from both next years E3???

Gears 5 looks fantastic. Love Kait as the lead and the new enemies shown.

FH4 and Ori looked solid. And same day gamepass release is a steal.

I'll admit I'm a bit biased because of Gamepass and EA Access. Already good through January but might grab another 6 months while it's $30. Between that and EAs 10 hours trials and vault, I don't see myself buying a retail game for a while.

Trogdor1123

And why exactly are you dissapointed in them?
The game looked meh, wish it was better.

I realize it looked like I meant bring on ms stage but I don't care about that stuff at all.

The ms presser was outstanding imo. Best in a long time

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Forza!!!! Next year you will get another Forza, and the year after!!!
Yes, impressive right. Back to back best racing games of this generation. Better then waiting 5 years for something that doesn't live up the hype.

Top Bottom