• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Microsoft E3 2018 Conference (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate Microsoft's E3 2018 Conference

• A

Votes: 157 28.5%
  • B

Votes: 212 38.5%
  • C

Votes: 103 18.7%
  • D

Votes: 31 5.6%
  • F

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Phil Spencer pulls off the denim reasonably well

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ar¢tos

IDK man, I went in expecting nothing but games. Didn't care about exclusives, or any of that, just what games looks good for me to play, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'ts a bad conference for those who wanted to flex who has the better console, but for someone who just wants to see what new games are making returns and how they look and play, it was great.
As a game presentation it was a great conference! That I agree with. As a "here are the reasons to buy an xbox right now" it was a fail for me, since most of the games showed are multiplat. Since EA and all the other big publishers have their own conferences we would find out about those games anyway without Sony or MS conferences. I know sony conference hasn't happen yet, but I doubt it will be much different.

As a game presentation it was a great conference! That I agree with. As a "here are the reasons to buy an xbox right now" it was a fail for me, since most of the games showed are multiplat. Since EA and all the other big publishers have their own conferences we would find out about those games anyway without Sony or MS conferences. I know sony conference hasn't happen yet, but I doubt it will be much different.

I agree with this. It seems MS are doing away with the "we'll make you buy our console because of our games" and more about the services they offer. Thats fine as I am a PC gamer now and the fact that their games are coming to windows 10 just makes me be more open to their system now

On topic, this is the conference of messed up arms wasn't it? JD from Gears 5 had that weird arm, Nero with the mecha arm DMC 5, Sekiro with that skeleton arm

pr0guchi

Neo Member
I agree with this. It seems MS are doing away with the "we'll make you buy our console because of our games" and more about the services they offer. Thats fine as I am a PC gamer now and the fact that their games are coming to windows 10 just makes me be more open to their system now

On topic, this is the conference of messed up arms wasn't it? JD from Gears 5 had that weird arm, Nero with the mecha arm DMC 5, Sekiro with that skeleton arm

thats why they buy 5 studios? for me it seems they are investing a lot of money on new tech and studios and are going to push forward. which is good and not only about services. its more than that imo

thats why they buy 5 studios? for me it seems they are investing a lot of money on new tech and studios and are going to push forward. which is good and not only about services. its more than that imo

I'm not disagreeing that they have games and aren't investing. It's great, that means more games for everyone. But they aren't doing it so fanboys can get back to arguing who has the most exclusives, they are doing it because the games they've released this year were successful, and they are finally on track of making good games with good companies and can invest and expand.

Services isn't a bad thing, I hope they push for it more because whatever gets me the best deals and the opportunity to play games for longer is good in my books

Last edited:
I would give this press conference a C. It was full of games sure but most of them were multiplatform. Xbox game pass seems to be the big reason to buy an Xbox this year and that is pretty sad.

Dabaus

Banned
I would give the conference an A for Microsoft But in terms of making me feel like I need to purchase a 1 given the fact that I have a ps4 id give them a C. Halo took me by surprise and was disappointed we didn't see more of it. Division 2 and Devil may cry 5 were the standouts to me.

And Ill just say it: It looks to me like Gears of War 5 has fallen victim to the SJW mob. If that's the route MS wanted to take with the narrative Gears of war is NOT the IP to it with. 5 will undoubtedly (under) perform as good as or even worse than 4. Mark my words.

Last edited:

Fbh

Oh right, forgot about Crackdown 3.
I think that's the one Xbox exclusive that just looks bad. There have been a couple of trailers now and nothing about it stands out. Not the world, nor the combat and they don't even really show off the supposedly amazing destruction (which with those visuals and on an Xb1X should look impressive even with no cloud).
Crackdown 1 was fun for what it was, but this game will release like 12 years later and so far doesn't seem like it's doing much to improve on the formula

hiphopcr

Microsoft clearly is focused on a vision much larger than just a single console.

Get those games on PC, Xbox, and any streaming device and that's how you reach 2 billion people.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
IDK man, I went in expecting nothing but games. Didn't care about exclusives, or any of that, just what games looks good for me to play, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'ts a bad conference for those who wanted to flex who has the better console, but for someone who just wants to see what new games are making returns and how they look and play, it was great.
Yeah, as a consumer I have no desire to see what other people aren’t getting. In a perfect world everyone would get all 3rd party games. But that isn’t the world we live in, so when I don’t have every platform, I’m wanting to see what will be coming to the one I have. Like I didn’t have a good PC or PS4 back when SFV was announced, so that sucked. This year I was bracing for DMC5 to be a PS4 exclusive, so I’m really happy it’s not. It’s also great to see Sekiro is multiplatform so I don’t miss out like I did with Bloodborne. Corporate investors may be looking for exclusives as a good thing, but consumers should only have mind for them in the sense of what is being held behind a new console investment barrier. As an owner of a platform, the purpose of a show is to get hype about what cool stuff I have to anticipate and what developments will happen to the platform itself.

Darak

It looks to me like Gears of War 5 has fallen victim to the SJW mob.

Why do you think that? It just has a female protagonist, who was also present in 4 and I don't remember any backslash. People complained about the some uninspired levels in the campaign, microtransactions in multiplayer, and other issues, but it managed to capture the look & feel of the series pretty well IMHO.

The new one game has me interested. Apparently it is now more story-focused, you have a vehicle, and there are open world elements, and all those things give me some God of War vibes, in a good way. I'd like to see more.

Dabaus

Banned
Why do you think that? It just has a female protagonist, who was also present in 4 and I don't remember any backslash. People complained about the some uninspired levels in the campaign, microtransactions in multiplayer, and other issues, but it managed to capture the look & feel of the series pretty well IMHO.

The new one game has me interested. Apparently it is now more story-focused, you have a vehicle, and there are open world elements, and all those things give me some God of War vibes, in a good way. I'd like to see more.

I haven't played gears 4 so her relevance to the story are unknown to me. From what media ive seen of 4 she was a side character who perhaps in the story was focal and had a character in multiplayer as well? With that said I do not believe the majority of gears fans out there want to role play a widow who lost her husband. You can call them sexists and bigots all you want but I don't think that helps. Gears 4 under performed and I don't think this is the way to get back on track, we shall see!

Gets a C from me. Nothing groundbreaking other than we bought a bunch of studios, we’re still getting multiplats, and we’re working on games you’d expect (Halo, Gears, Forza).

They very much seem to already be in a holding pattern until the next-gen drumbeat begins.

Pejo

This conference reminded me a lot of Sony 2015. Tons of great announcements, but almost all of them are multiplatform and far out in the future. Still no reason to buy an xbox if you don't have one, IMO, so I gave it a B. Still, the conference itself was minimal PR speak and tons of game footage/announcements and Ori looks amazing.

I am cautiously excited to see what they do with Halo As A Service.

Darak

With that said I do not believe the majority of gears fans out there want to role play a widow who lost her husband.

I'm not going to deny the Gears were always about testosterone-filled hulks brutalizing monsters with chainsaws, but I'm not sure about that kind of player-protagonist identification. If the game is still about booms, gibs and giggles, the fact that you're just looking at a nicer ass while playing the campaign shouldn't be a problem for those fans. Well, unless the game suddenly starts preaching bullshit or something like that, but if that's not the case I think everything will be fine. To be honest, I'd take the fact that the Kait model actually looks like a woman as a good sign.

I'm beginning to think the pendulum has swing to the other side and now people are starting to see SJW everywhere. This kind of thing should be a complete non-issue.

And sure, Gears 4 flopped. But I don't think that had much to do with the story or the main characters, which were nothing special, but that was also the case in previous entries IMO.

Denton

Best conference ever, mostly because PR talk was kept at bearable levels and the games shown were really fucking awesome, particularly Cyberpunk, Metro and Dying Light. And Forza.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I haven't played gears 4 so her relevance to the story are unknown to me. From what media ive seen of 4 she was a side character who perhaps in the story was focal and had a character in multiplayer as well? With that said I do not believe the majority of gears fans out there want to role play a widow who lost her husband. You can call them sexists and bigots all you want but I don't think that helps. Gears 4 under performed and I don't think this is the way to get back on track, we shall see!

Receipts on this gears 4 underperforming

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Though it's more of the same IP...Halo: Infinite and Gears 5 already has me more interested than Halo: 5 and Gears 4. And Forza Horizon 4 looks like it could be the best Forza yet. Microsoft at least seems to be hitting some sort of stride at least with their existing IP's. I think they are going in the right direction.

I usually play a female character when I play a game that lets me choose gender. So I have nothing against Gears 5.

The MS presentation was full of great stuff. Sony and Nintendo better come correct!

Pallas

Giving it a B, would have been an A if they announced an AAA exclusive not from the Gears/Forza/Halo trifecta. It left me wanting more but very hopeful of the future in the brand. They showed some very nice indies and really enjoyed the Cyberpunk surprise at the end.
Very happy to see that they are buying studios and investing in them. Ninja Theory and Compulsion Games were a nice surprise. I have confidence that they can bring games in the next gen and they have the studios to do it. Very good talent, very curious of what The Initiative can do, if I recall this was the “AAAA” game making studio.

I know people wanted a reason to buy an Xbox... but I believe it was just too soon. This takes time, I think what I saw from E3 was more about reassuring their base that they are returning to form and beyond and less about exclusives. Give it Time, Phil is making the moves and Rome wasn’t built in a day.

If anything, Microsoft, and more so Phil Spencer and co are very good at putting in a show.

I think their next show, we will see a lot more stuff on their new projects.

Last edited:

meirl

Banned
Same. by the end of the event, MS basically sounded like they were confirming that they are going 3rd party 100%, to say "all devices" they didn't even just say "windows 10" etc, they stated "ALL DEVICES" and even further, MS went on to say this.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/microsoft-studios-switch-xbox-1202838693/

sooooooo I don't know what is happening at MS, but its sounding like PC was just the start and that they are basically releasing titles on all platforms in the future, which likely might include Nintendo, PS etc. Looks like they are serious about this whole "play anywhere" and games as a service. I don't know where this leaves XB to be honest.
Lol that’s why they bought FIVE studios. To not develope games for their platform. To abandon their platform and make games for other platforms.

Makes sense.

/s

octiny

Banned
Lol that’s why they bought FIVE studios. To not develope games for their platform. To abandon their platform and make games for other platforms.

Makes sense.

/s

Don't worry about him. He comes into every Xbox thread & spouts the same stuff over & over. It's slightly amusing & cute, cause he tries really hard.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just weird, but Ori and the Will of the Wisps is the most interesting game shown of any of the conferences thus far. Nintendo still has a chance to win e3 if they have good footage of Metroid Prime 4 or an Animal Crossing announcement. That Ghost of Tsushima game looks stunning, but the game play looks absolutely mind numbing. Honestly, I think Crackdown 3 looks more entertaining and people were complaining about how boring it looks. Give me the fun arcade-y style games please, and, in hind sight of the conference, give me Ori, Crackdown 3, Battletoads, Halo 6, Tunic, Forza Horizon and that Funko Gears spin-off over anything shown during Sony's conference. The one game that is intriguing to me from Sony's 1st party line-up is Death Stranding. Otherwise, everything else is a pass - maybe Spiderman, but comic book super-hero games aren't really my thing.

tkscz

This felt like Quantity over Quality to me. Not saying none of the 50 games looked good, but that there wasn't a lot of gameplay going on, and I WANTED to see so many of the games be played, but got CGI cutscenes or overlooks of game environments with a title at the end. Some of the games had gameplay, but not a lot. For me it's a solid B. A lot of games, but not a lot of gameplay.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Maybe I'm just weird, but Ori and the Will of the Wisps is the most interesting game shown of any of the conferences thus far. Nintendo still has a chance to win e3 if they have good footage of Metroid Prime 4 or an Animal Crossing announcement. That Ghost of Tsushima game looks stunning, but the game play looks absolutely mind numbing. Honestly, I think Crackdown 3 looks more entertaining and people were complaining about how boring it looks. Give me the fun arcade-y style games please, and, in hind sight of the conference, give me Ori, Crackdown 3, Battletoads, Halo 6, Tunic, Forza Horizon and that Funko Gears spin-off over anything shown during Sony's conference. The one game that is intriguing to me from Sony's 1st party line-up is Death Stranding. Otherwise, everything else is a pass - maybe Spiderman, but comic book super-hero games aren't really my thing.

This is my general feeling as well. Basically here is how I see it now:
Code:
"Gamey-ness"<-------------------------> Cinematic Experiences
 Nintendo           Microsoft                Sony

My problem with the Sony approach is I already get this from TV series/movies....

This is my general feeling as well. Basically here is how I see it now:
Code:
"Gamey-ness"<-------------------------> Cinematic Experiences
Nintendo           Microsoft                Sony

My problem with the Sony approach is I already get this from TV series/movies....
That's a really good take for this gen actually, and it really does come down to personal preference.

EDIT: I gave the conference a B. Realized I never stated how I graded the conference. The lack of Halo 6 news really wrecked me. I went from a super high before the conference started to bottom of the barrel immediately after seeing the Halo 6 reveal.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Rated it a C. It was a great show, nonstop reveals and trailers, no goofy musical acts and other nonsense to pause the action. However this was marred by the constant claims of "exclusive" for games that weren't exclusive and "plays best on xbox" despite really playing best on PC... Silly crap like that is insulting to our intelligence and just plain false advertising. Don't do that if you want to keep my respect...

More importantly, between the lack of exclusives and the promise of a new console on the horizon, what incentive do I have to buy and XboxOneX after watching this show? To play a bunch of games I could play on other platforms, or to play on a platform that will obsolete shortly? Horrible marketing, xbox...

JLMC469

Banned
what incentive do I have to buy and XboxOneX after watching this show? To play a bunch of games I could play on other platforms, or to play on a platform that will obsolete shortly? Horrible marketing, xbox...

I’m pretty sure that your current library will work on the next system and vice versa. Just run at a higher settings (fps, resolution, etc.)

hiphopcr

This will be looked at as a growing pain gen for Xbox and I'm so grateful for it. Two years from now we'll have a new Xbox with the best hardware, backwards compatibility, best network, Game Pass, and a revamped first party lineup.

This will be looked at as a growing pain gen for Xbox and I'm so grateful for it. Two years from now we'll have a new Xbox with the best hardware, backwards compatibility, best network, Game Pass, and a revamped first party lineup.

Just imagine the next xbox with all these foundations going forwards... They are going in the right direction, and they are one fresh start away from challenging for the GOAT console next gen

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Rated it a C. It was a great show, nonstop reveals and trailers, no goofy musical acts and other nonsense to pause the action. However this was marred by the constant claims of "exclusive" for games that weren't exclusive and "plays best on xbox" despite really playing best on PC... Silly crap like that is insulting to our intelligence and just plain false advertising. Don't do that if you want to keep my respect...

More importantly, between the lack of exclusives and the promise of a new console on the horizon, what incentive do I have to buy and XboxOneX after watching this show? To play a bunch of games I could play on other platforms, or to play on a platform that will obsolete shortly? Horrible marketing, xbox...

Keep trying.

BANGS

Banned
I’m pretty sure that your current library will work on the next system and vice versa. Just run at a higher settings (fps, resolution, etc.)
Oh I sure hope so and that's great. The future of xbox may be very bright indeed. It's just this in between time that's kinda weird to me...

BANGS

Banned
I understand. Seems MS wants to leave this gen and start fresh with a focus on games.
I hope so man. Microsoft is making all the right decisions right now with the exception of exclusivity. I'd love to jump in with them next gen if they can at least get that right...

I would give the conference an A for Microsoft But in terms of making me feel like I need to purchase a 1 given the fact that I have a ps4 id give them a C. Halo took me by surprise and was disappointed we didn't see more of it. Division 2 and Devil may cry 5 were the standouts to me.

And Ill just say it: It looks to me like Gears of War 5 has fallen victim to the SJW mob. If that's the route MS wanted to take with the narrative Gears of war is NOT the IP to it with. 5 will undoubtedly (under) perform as good as or even worse than 4. Mark my words.

Sony just did the same with TLOU 2, get used to diversity.

rokkerkory

I hope so man. Microsoft is making all the right decisions right now with the exception of exclusivity. I'd love to jump in with them next gen if they can at least get that right...

Well the new studios will certainly help but it'll take time to pan out. But having both systems (well nintendo as well) is always the right answer. Life's too short to miss out.

Why are some XBox fanboys still so butthurt about Play Anywhere? Those games are not going to be on Sony/Nintendo. Most PCs don't have the power to run those games as well as they would on the X. Other than being super purist on 'exclusive', I don't get the angst and bitterness. What really matters if Microsoft delivering games you want on Play Anywhere more than Halo/Gears/Forza. Cuphead was a good start.

cryptoadam

Banned
I will give them a C for one reason I will explain, because overall I think it was a solid B.

MS said they had 50 games, and they showed 50 games. They executed their plan. Good pacing, lots of neat games, didn't over stay their welcome on most games. Some nice surprises with Halo and Gears in there.

BUT....

It was a 2 hour conference, take out the 3rd party stuff (maybe leave 1 or 2 like DMC5) and MS would have had a hard time filling 30 minutes.

So the presentation was great, no cars or celebreties, just straight up game after game. But take out the Halo/Horizon/Gears and this could have been a Sony presser.

Conference viewership on Twitch:
mGZPJPQ.png

Don't have YT, Mixer, Facebook, Twitter and Live TV data.
Should also be an overall concurrent viewership record for Twitch as a whole with 2.7 million hourly average

Last edited:
Top Bottom