• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] Microsoft E3 2018 Conference (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate Microsoft's E3 2018 Conference

• A

Votes: 157 28.5%
  • B

Votes: 212 38.5%
  • C

Votes: 103 18.7%
  • D

Votes: 31 5.6%
  • F

Votes: 23 4.2%
  • Phil Spencer pulls off the denim reasonably well

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pallas

Gold Member
Same. by the end of the event, MS basically sounded like they were confirming that they are going 3rd party 100%, to say "all devices" they didn't even just say "windows 10" etc, they stated "ALL DEVICES" and even further, MS went on to say this.

https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/microsoft-studios-switch-xbox-1202838693/

sooooooo I don't know what is happening at MS, but its sounding like PC was just the start and that they are basically releasing titles on all platforms in the future, which likely might include Nintendo, PS etc. Looks like they are serious about this whole "play anywhere" and games as a service. I don't know where this leaves XB to be honest.

Them buying studios, and decent ones and even forming another studio kind of contradicts that “100% 3rd party” service. Of course they should have done this years ago in the X1’s infancy but Phil has taken over and he’s changing it up.

Also didn’t Sony have a service where you could stream their stuff on devices? I believe it might of been discontinued though, but it shows Microsoft wasn’t the first to implement the idea.

Only thing missing from MS conference was some suprise that had to do with Xbox one X or BC. WOuld have been amazing if they announced "and as of today, all BC games will play in 4k" or something along that nature.

Dibils2k

Only thing missing from MS conference was some suprise that had to do with Xbox one X or BC. WOuld have been amazing if they announced "and as of today, all BC games will play in 4k" or something along that nature.
yeah, it was missing that one extra ingredient

a new fable or perfect dark game(showing gameplay) would have made it 10/10

Only 22 pages?? I haven't been here in a while. I was expecting a much bigger bounce back for E3. Hope the ship gets righted somehow one day.

Now on topic:
Sony has amazing single player games, no question, but MS still eats their lunch when it comes to services and now hardware. I just wanted them to show more Halo. :(

Yagami_Sama

For some reason I was expecting more.And the message I got was that they are already working hard on the next console and the studios they bought will help fix their first issue.

Bryank75

Banned
Only 22 pages?? I haven't been here in a while. I was expecting a much bigger bounce back for E3. Hope the ship gets righted somehow one day.

Now on topic:
Sony has amazing single player games, no question, but MS still eats their lunch when it comes to services and now hardware. I just wanted them to show more Halo. :(

Debatable,PS4 was more capable than XB1 and Pro launched a year before One X and was also 100 euro cheaper. PlayStation also has VR and on the services / software side it took xbox a while to catch up with the speed of PS4 interface, spotify was on ps4 long before xbox too and is one of my favorite features.
Xbox definitely has clear advantages like when it comes to controller quality, racing games and crossplay though!

Larogue

A, it's the only exciting conference out of the three big ones. Still has the old school E3 spirit & excitement. What a joy to watch. Sony and Nintendo were dull as hell.

Gaplanet

Post Apocalyptic: An E3 Presentation

The only games I am looking forward to are

Cyberpunk
Cuphead 2
And
Samurai Dark Souls

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course is a DLC, not a sequel.

And Sekiro might be more of a Tenchu than Dark Souls. It has very light RPG elements (no stats, leveling, build or customisation).
Well crafted world and story/lore should be a given though.

And in Sekiro, you play as a shinobi aka ninja, not a samurai. But yeah samurais are in there, as enemies.

Last edited:
I'm giving MS an A too. Gears 5, Halo Infinity, Forza Horizon 4, and Crackdown 3 all look great. But the new From Software game, Sekiro was my great surprise of the show. Seeing CyberPunk 2077 was great too. A lot to look forward to for me.

Last edited:

Roitorb

Conference viewership on Twitch:
mGZPJPQ.png

Don't have YT, Mixer, Facebook, Twitter and Live TV data.
Should also be an overall concurrent viewership record for Twitch as a whole with 2.7 million hourly average
That’s a bit unfair really as being in the UK I watched a lot of shows on repeat. Nice to see the viewing figures though.

Last edited:

SolarFry

Scraped the barrel for every game possible that's coming out everywhere, just to show "hey look, we have games". That cringe list at the beginning and the WORLD PREMIERE stuff was great.

TLZ

Banned
C for me. The presentation was good, which I don't care much about TBH, but I was bored throughout until Tunic.

Last edited:
Can't create a thread yet, but wanted to ask :

Purey subjectively - Is there any game which eventually lived up to, or surpassed, its E3 reveal?

weevles

I think MS did what it needed to do to keep fans hyped. They had a decent balance of new announcements with more to show about upcoming games that we already knew were coming. It felt like an E3 conference and for me that was a good thing overall.

What I found funny was some people saying things like “I thought MS owned playground already” when I remember the endless debate about whether playground’s open world action/rpg game was going to be multi platform or not, with the general feeling being that it was going to be multiplatform because spencer had rejected it.

MS lost dice and bioware because they didn’t move fast enough (they could have bought bioware before EA made that insane 800 million offer which MS or any platform holder would never match) so its good that they didn’t make the same mistake with playground.

EDMIX

Them buying studios, and decent ones and even forming another studio kind of contradicts that “100% 3rd party” service. Of course they should have done this years ago in the X1’s infancy but Phil has taken over and he’s changing it up.

Also didn’t Sony have a service where you could stream their stuff on devices? I believe it might of been discontinued though, but it shows Microsoft wasn’t the first to implement the idea.

"Them buying studios, and decent ones and even forming another studio kind of contradicts that “100% 3rd party” service. "

Not really. I'd argue it supports it greatly. They want more teams to clearly make more games to get more subscribers. I'm sorry but I don't see any evidence that MS actually wants to go back to only making XB games ie XBOX ONLY games. Just the oppoiste. I didn't see them coming out and saying "Halo, Gears 5 ONLY on XONE", I read they are all coming to PC, then at the end, they are saying they hope to reach to to MORE devices. That doesn't sound like a company that only wishes to put out content on 1 system ie XBOX. That sounds like a company that is happy about their profits being multiplatform and is reaching out to more platforms.

It wouldn't shock me if MS still makes a new XB, but the games are actually also on, PC, phones, Nintendo, PS etc.

Remember when folks kept saying it would only be for smaller games?
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/10/17446944/halo-infinite-pc-windows-master-chief
Remember when folks kept saying it would only be from Windows Store?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/
https://www.destructoid.com/killer-instinct-is-now-on-steam-463616.phtml
Remember when folks kept saying it would only be for Win 10?
https://www.pcworld.com/article/310...antum-break-is-coming-to-steam-windows-7.html
Remember when folks kept saying it would only be WINDOWS OS ie no Mac?
https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Feral_Announces_Fable_The_Lost_Chapters_Game_For_the_Mac

Sooooooo we can keep on this whole "it would only be for" xyz junk, but history shows us that MS has been very much bringing content to many platforms. So those days of only coming to XB and nothing else clearly is over, like long over. Like every major game MS showed at E3 FROM THEIR TEAMS, can be played WITHOUT an XBONE.

So, Sony has PS Now, but I don't recall at E3 Sony coming out and telling you that you can play The Last Of Us 2 on a phone or anything like that lol Still need a PS4 for that, where on the other hand, I own a gaming PC had nave zero reason to get a XONE. Halo is coming to PC, Gears is coming to PC, Forza is coming to PC....why would I need a XONE?

EDMIX

C for me. The presentation was good, which I don't care much about TBH, but I was bored throughout until Tunic.
lol agreed.

That is my favorite game they showed. Will buy on PC or wait til its on Switch or PS4. Looks fun.

"Them buying studios, and decent ones and even forming another studio kind of contradicts that “100% 3rd party” service. "

Not really. I'd argue it supports it greatly. They want more teams to clearly make more games to get more subscribers. I'm sorry but I don't see any evidence that MS actually wants to go back to only making XB games ie XBOX ONLY games. Just the oppoiste. I didn't see them coming out and saying "Halo, Gears 5 ONLY on XONE", I read they are all coming to PC, then at the end, they are saying they hope to reach to to MORE devices. That doesn't sound like a company that only wishes to put out content on 1 system ie XBOX. That sounds like a company that is happy about their profits being multiplatform and is reaching out to more platforms.

It wouldn't shock me if MS still makes a new XB, but the games are actually also on, PC, phones, Nintendo, PS etc.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/10/17446944/halo-infinite-pc-windows-master-chief
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016...to-sell-windows-games-not-just-its-own-store/
https://www.pcworld.com/article/310...antum-break-is-coming-to-steam-windows-7.html
https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/Feral_Announces_Fable_The_Lost_Chapters_Game_For_the_Mac

Sooooooo we can keep on this whole "it would only be for" xyz junk, but history shows us that MS has been very much bringing content to many platforms. So those days of only coming to XB and nothing else clearly is over, like long over. Like every major game MS showed at E3 FROM THEIR TEAMS, can be played WITHOUT an XBONE.

So, Sony has PS Now, but I don't recall at E3 Sony coming out and telling you that you can play The Last Of Us 2 on a phone or anything like that lol Still need a PS4 for that, where on the other hand, I own a gaming PC had nave zero reason to get a XONE. Halo is coming to PC, Gears is coming to PC, Forza is coming to PC....why would I need a XONE?
Nobody asked you to buy an Xbox and your arguement is tired and a repeat of the shit we have been reading for years from Sony fanboys. Believe it or not there are hundreds of million of gamers out there that don’t own a gaming pc, don’t like gaming on a pc, don’t care about having a gaming pc. Microsoft’s ecosystem is pc/Xbox , if you play their games on pc you are already contributing to it.

EDMIX

Nobody asked you to buy an Xbox and your arguement is tired and a repeat of the shit we have been reading for years from Sony fanboys. Believe it or not there are hundreds of million of gamers out there that don’t own a gaming pc, don’t like gaming on a pc, don’t care about having a gaming pc. Microsoft’s ecosystem is pc/Xbox , if you play their games on pc you are already contributing to it.

"Microsoft’s ecosystem is pc/Xbox "

And Mac and and ios and android and confirmed from MS, they are seeking more platforms to support. So....MS "ecosystem" sounds like its going to be all systems. Who said I'm not giving money to MS when I buy their game on PC? huh? what are you arguing about lol

Of course MS is getting my money when I buy Gears Of War 5 on PC. I'm not sure where you thought I was saying otherwise. Moot and irrelevant point. MS clearly owns MS games lol

EA's "ecosystem" is XB, PS, PC, Nintendo, ios etc. So...the point is simply that MS is expanding that as this E3 they very much talked about wanting to reach more devices, platforms etc. So...EA having lots of systems to put games on, is no different then what you hear MS stating and its moot to simply say we are all giving money to MS if we buy their game, I mean...yes, thats the point lol. So MS is looking to be like EA, Ubisoft etc. Good for them. My point is simply that clearly that is a concept of 3RD PARTY PUBLISHER, not of a first party one. Those days are long over and its pretty clear MS is seeking more devices. Their words, not mine.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member

They as in Microsoft has given us options on how we play these games, after all if you buy their first party exclusives, regardless if it’s on PC or Xbox, they still make money. They don’t care if you buy an Xbox or buy from their windows 10 store to play the game. They still make $$$ and by doing so, they have given us gamers options. Options are great you see! So I disagree with you that options aren’t great.

Plus you are kind of assuming that every gamer has or wants a gaming PC. The option is there, but why would I want to play these games on a more expensive PC and not on my comfortable couch or chair, on my nice TV with my affordable console? I mean if you prefer PC gaming, more power to you, but I don’t and I imagine millions of others think the same.

pop_tarts

I was going to give MS a C for the lack of New AAA IPs. Sure Sekiro looked great, I'm not knocking them for that, but We already played a Halo, we already played a Gears I want to see them branch out. Then I saw them say they bought Ninja Theory...damnit I didn't mean branch alll the way out! J/k great for them to pick up pace and compete with Sony's first party devs. I haven't fully seen Sony conference other than a blog of it, but from what they typed out, I had to give MS a higher grade to B. The main reason giving them a higher grade because of a few reason. 1. Their talk about game after game was great, something Sony has done a few times. 2. Buying up dev teams, some people might not like it (No more Heavenly Sword =( ) but its a great start into producing some new IPs...I hope. 3. They hinted at their new console and maybe even strategy of what this new console might be aka fully cloud-based? mixer of console and cloud. Cant wait to see the future.

EDMIX

They as in Microsoft has given us options on how we play these games, after all if you buy their first party exclusives, regardless if it’s on PC or Xbox, they still make money. They don’t care if you buy an Xbox or buy from their windows 10 store to play the game. They still make $$$ and by doing so, they have given us gamers options. Options are great you see! So I disagree with you that options aren’t great.

Plus you are kind of assuming that every gamer has or wants a gaming PC. The option is there, but why would I want to play these games on a more expensive PC and not on my comfortable couch or chair, on my nice TV with my affordable console? I mean if you prefer PC gaming, more power to you, but I don’t and I imagine millions of others think the same.

Man you reach too much....

"They still make $$$" Who is debating that? Moot and not being argued.

"So I disagree with you that options aren’t great." Who said its not great? I mean, I just stated this "when I buy Gears Of War 5 on PC" So...not sure what you mean.

"Plus you are kind of assuming that every gamer has or wants a gaming PC." Nope, to each his own. I game on both console and PC ,as to why I own a PS4 and a PC so...I don't know where you got that assumption from as I never stated that.

Pallas

Gold Member
Man you reach too much....

"They still make $$$" Who is debating that? Moot and not being argued.

"So I disagree with you that options aren’t great." Who said its not great? I mean, I just stated this "when I buy Gears Of War 5 on PC" So...not sure what you mean.

"Plus you are kind of assuming that every gamer has or wants a gaming PC." Nope, to each his own. I game on both console and PC ,as to why I own a PS4 and a PC so...I don't know where you got that assumption from as I never stated that.

I’m not reaching, just arguing why some seem to think this is a bad idea, the play anywhere system. Also I didn’t see your post about your planned purchase of Gears 5.

I still think it contradicts the 3rd party argument, I also don’t believe they are moving to be a 3rd party publisher, like some have theorized(not you in particular) After all, you could argue that Nintendo is approaching that area, via mobile with FeH, MARIO Run and Pokémon.

We can agree to disagree about this though lol. I’d debate more but I’m running on hardly any rest. So Happy gaming :)

Chief Devin

Microsoft no doubt won this E3. With the snorefest that was Sony's.

Well two things, Sony decided to show only a few games and/or MS decided to show almost everything that was at E3 because a vast majority of their stuff was multi platform.

So does MS get credit for showing a bunch of stuff everybody will get?

Fox Mulder

Well two things, Sony decided to show only a few games and/or MS decided to show almost everything that was at E3 because a vast majority of their stuff was multi platform.

Why not.

I just prefer a conference to be rapid fire trailers and surprise announcements over 10+ minute gameplay segments of games I already know about.

I enjoyed the MS show way more even if all their games are third party. They'll still also have the X power advantage for many of them.

Iced Arcade

every other console is getting Crackdown, Gears Of War 5, battletoads, Cuphead, Forza Horizon 4, Halo Infinite, , Ori and the will of wisps etc?

also I like being shown multi platform games (also a smart business partner move)

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Why not.

I just prefer a conference to be rapid fire trailers and surprise announcements over 10+ minute gameplay segments of games I already know about.

I enjoyed the MS show way more even if all their games are third party. They'll still also have the X power advantage for many of them.
Except it wasn't rapid fire. They had boring talking snorefest segments between a lot of them.

Fox Mulder

Except it wasn't rapid fire. They had boring talking snorefest segments between a lot of them.

They showed more games than anyone. I don't even have an Xbox anymore and found plenty to like the conference for the third party stuff.

Of course Sony showed better exclusives, but had a dumb conference format and I already know I'm getting most of them without needing 10+ minute long play demos.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

Ok, let us know when you are playing Halo on PlayStation. Why are you so angry that you can play Gears on your (probably fictional) PC? The number of console players with a gaming pc is tiny. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of Forza to know that a small number of people have paid lots of money to play it on pc. The idea that console gaming and pc gaming are the same thing needs to be looked at. One is a mass market product and ultimately one isn't. That's ok.

They get credit for entertaining people. Also for having the best console versions of those games. It's ok if you didn't like it, we don't all have to agree.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ok, let us know when you are playing Halo on PlayStation. Why are you so angry that you can play Gears on your (probably fictional) PC? The number of console players with a gaming pc is tiny. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of Forza to know that a small number of people have paid lots of money to play it on pc. The idea that console gaming and pc gaming are the same thing needs to be looked at. One is a mass market product and ultimately one isn't. That's ok.

They get credit for entertaining people. Also for having the best console versions of those games. It's ok if you didn't like it, we don't all have to agree.

"Why are you so angry that you can play Gears on your (probably fictional) PC? "

Who said I'm angry? huh? I'm happy, I said this "when I buy Gears Of War 5 on PC". Why would I be mad at that? lol ok bud.

"It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of Forza" Who said it should?

"Ok, let us know when you are playing Halo on PlayStation" Buddy, remember when it was...

"Ok, let us know when you are playing ____ on Mac"
"Ok, let us know when you are playing ____ on Steam"
"Ok, let us know when you are playing ____ on Win 7"
"Ok, let us know when you are playing ____ on phones" lol

At this point, I would just relax and wait and see. We've heard this so many times, that MOST times, MS is adding to the systems they release games on, no decreasing it. MS just confirmed they are seeking MORE devices to put games on. This is not really the time to be pretending that such a thing can't happen. As I recall many saying that about Steam and Mac and now MS is trying to put games on phones.....sooooo please don't act shocked when they have Halo on ipads, Halo on Nintendo, Halo on Playstation etc. I no longer doubt its going to happen based on MS own words and own actions. They are more likely to keep pushing for more devices then keeping anything on XB, so I see no reason to pretend that Playstation or Nintendo is 100% never going to happen, this base of gamers also said the same thing about Steam, Mac, phones etc so......we know how that turned out.

pr0guchi

Neo Member

yes because
a) general show and conference credibility
b) long term future look book with not only current games
c) but also new tech. like hardware / ai tech / game engine / streaming console / investment in studios

Top Bottom