• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] New SEKIRO (Shadows Die Twice) trailer from From Software

Would have loved a new Tenchu haha (wasn't expecting one) but this still looks pretty cool.... and, to be fair, some of the best parts of Tenchu 3 were the horror stuff. the headless undead samurai in the graveyard .... the graveyard stages in general -- Tenchu 1 is still my fave mission objectives but Tenchu 3 had some killer creepy atmosphere. felt a bit of that here with the guy that 'revives' him and some of the bosses. anyhow, at the least I'm looking forward to the atmosphere and art, though I do admit I would have loved to see them do something more different in terms of gameplay (e.g. a stealth game backed by Souls esque combat) but this is pretty much what I expected.

Ar¢tos

I watched the trailer again and I have mixed feelings about the skeletal arm thing... The concept of a skeletal arm itself is kinda silly (no muscles or tendons, how does it move?), but turning into an Axe, an umbrella and a grappling hook? I'm not sure I enjoy the idea of a samurai inspector gadget...

I'm sorry all you know from From is one series. They've made 10 other games in the past 10 years other than souls. Not everything needs to be souls shit.
Never said I thought or hoped for another Souls game just that it's easy to see why people assumed it. You've got quite the chip on your shoulder.

kyubajin

Does anyone else wonder if it's a fix protagonist kinda deal? Looks to be the case. Will be the first non character customisable FROM game in a while.

So what I've gathered so far is that this is much more of an action adventure game, and won't have any co-op or pvp? It looks interesting enough, and I'm curious to see what FROM can do with a more straightforward story game. The combat still looks solid, and the traversal and exploration seems amped up.

What I'm disappointed about is how they're still using this DS3/BB engine that's years behind the curve in some some aspects. Especially the character skins and the ground textures with that PS360 era plastic shine looks awful. It's a pity, considering the art itself is fantastic and there's tons of geometry detail in the games. I guess we'll have to wait until next gen to see a more graphically up to date FROM title.

sublimit

Banned
Exactly this.

Activision PR is godly.

The boss fights looked amazing. The added mechanics with his arm looks interesting.
Yes Activision can invest a lot of money for marketing but people also need to realize that the higher the investment the more likely it is for a lot of bullshit (micro transactions, loot boxes) to end up in the game.

Orpheum

Not too much of a fan of the setting. Was hoping for more of a horror theme again. Anyway i'll be glad to be proven wrong

Fbh

Combat looks freaking amazing, and I love how fast and agile it looks. As someone who mostly plays DEX builds in Dark Souls I loved how they made Bloodborne faster and more agile and this seems to take it a step further. That jump attack at the end with horse boss looks awesome.

The one thing I find rather disappointing is the art direction. Recent FRON games haven't stood out in terms of raw graphics but they have had some of the best art direction in gaming (at least IMO) and this just looks kinda bland and generic in comparison. Visually it looks a lot like Nioh which didn't really impress me with most of its art direction

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I have checked out the trailer a couple of times now and, unfortunately, the more I see of it the more unimpressed I get. It looks uninspired and boring. The art design looks terrible, and nowhere near the grand mastery level that From has displayed in the recent years with Souls and BB. It looks like a cheap knockoff of their own franchise Tenchu, mixed up with Nioh and some of the DNA from Bloodborne. The caterpillar seems like it is taken directly from Nioh, which acts like a boss on the fourth stage. And the vomit-inducing fat fuck with his balls hanging out gives me the creeps. I have never been a fan of the 15th century Sengoku period styled setting. so that adds quite a lot to the discontent. Samurai and ninjas and katanas and shurikens and dojos and stealth are so fucking dull and uninteresting. Depending on the reviews this might be the first From game I´m not getting on release in like a decade. One of the biggest disappointing reveals of all time for me.

kyubajin

There's a bit more information on the official Japanese and International websites including what appears to be the official cover art for the game. Also you can see a flamethrower/gun thing from the prosthetic arm. Can anyone could translate the Japanese text?

4089_d20180531-001_Angled_FOB_Packshots_X1_EN_C_FINAL.png
4089_d20180531-001_Angled_FOB_Packshots_PS4_EN_C_FINAL.png

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I guess I should have expected from Activision but damn those are very dull looking cover arts.

Ar¢tos

No MP... No making builds to play with friends or co-op with randoms. That + Activision just made my hype levels drop to "wait for 30$ or under" sale. The replayability factor is low.
I already paid full price for a sp game this year (God of war, and it was worth it), I'm not buying any other sp only full price until next year. I can't spend much on games.

EnB put it in the proper perspective. Had FROM done Bandai or Sony they would have had to do a Dark Souls or Bloodbourne game. Activision gives them creative freedom and a great budget.

Haters gonna hate. Game looks fantastic.

undead77

Man, I wish FromSoftware would make another Otogi. I only remember the first two on the OG Xbox. Those were badass games.

Mr Hyde

Had FROM done Bandai or Sony they would have had to do a Dark Souls or Bloodbourne game. Activision gives them creative freedom and a great budget.

This doesn´t make sense at all. Namco Bandai gave From creative freedom and a budget to do Dark Souls and then Sony gave them the creative freedom and a even greater budget to produce Bloodborne. And after creating two of the most critically acclaimed games of all time you don´t think Miyazaki would be in a position to do whatever he wants even if he sticks with Bamco or Sony? Instead he went with Activision and now Sekiro looks significantly worse than his two previous outings. How do you explain that?

Firstn
This doesn´t make sense at all. Namco Bandai gave From creative freedom and a budget to do Dark Souls and then Sony gave them the creative freedom and a even greater budget to produce Bloodborne. And after creating two of the most critically acclaimed games of all time you don´t think Miyazaki would be in a position to do whatever he wants even if he sticks with Bamco or Sony? Instead he went with Activision and now Sekiro looks significantly worse than his two previous outings. How do you explain that?

First off I think you are highly mistaken about how this game looks.

Second off I think you are giving Sony and Bamco way too much credit. FROM already said they were ready for something new and those established publishers had little reason to not demand sequels.

Mr Hyde

First off I think you are highly mistaken about how this game looks.

Well, what I can judge from the trailer, it´s that Sekiro doesn´t come near the graphical and artistic merits of Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. It is not even close to Nioh. I know these games aren´t about graphics, it´s about the fantastic and rewarding gameplay, which I don´t doubt will come in full force given Miyazakis track record, but either way you spin it, Sekiro is a downgrade from DS3 and Bloodborne in terms of art design and graphics.

Second off I think you are giving Sony and Bamco way too much credit.

Says the one who just praised Activision for giving From creative freedom and a great budget. Are you gonna say the same thing about them once From decides to leave them because they start demanding sequels to Sekiro?

Ar¢tos

EnB put it in the proper perspective. Had FROM done Bandai or Sony they would have had to do a Dark Souls or Bloodbourne game. Activision gives them creative freedom and a great budget.

Haters gonna hate. Game looks fantastic.
Activision giving creative freedom....
Sony NOT giving creative freedom AND forcing sequels....
the silly things you read online these days are really amazing.

Terce

Quick question for those that have dug into it, wasn't this in development before Nioh came out? I thought it was safe to say that it was not inspired by Nioh and that Miyazaki was interested in doing a game in this setting, or has at least discussed the possibility in interviews, far before Nioh was even teased.

Either way I dig FromSoft and this will be a no-brainer for me. I never ended up playing through Nioh though I may pick it up on a cheap sale at some point. DaS has enough replayability to keep me occupied for a long time

Mr Hyde

Quick question for those that have dug into it, wasn't this in development before Nioh came out?

Yes, Sekiro has been in development before the release of Nioh, but Nioh on the other hand began its development as early as 2004, and was originally slated to release on the PS360 before the developers halted production and decided to shift it to next gen.

duhmetree

I just saw on Geoff K stream a rep from FROM and ATVI.. It sounds like Miyazaki didn't have his 'hands-on' approach for Sekiro... Maybe a Miyazaki game at Sony?

Geoff sort of hinted at it as well..

Last edited:

ZiriusOne

Anything feudal japan, whether it is grounded in reality or has monsters and magic, i'm in. Nioh was already such a treat. Day1.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've rewatched the trailer a few more times...

I'm digging it. If Bloodborne is an offshoot from Dark Souls into more actiony, dodgy, horror territory, I feel like this game is an offshoot from Dark Souls into more stealthy, platformy, cool medieval gizmos territory. I think this game might end up being really sweet.

Mr Hyde

t sounds like Miyazaki didn't have his 'hands-on' approach for Sekiro... Maybe a Miyazaki game at Sony?

I hope so. That picture Shu posted on his Twitter a couple of years ago with him and Miyazaki having lunch/dinner must have resulted in another collaboration. Why else post a picture like that?

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Ahh, this looks fantastic. Love the rough graphics, the animations, it smells good. Also BERSERK influenced protagonist rocks big time!!!! Hope fn Activision suits are on a leash.

Activision giving creative freedom....
Sony NOT giving creative freedom AND forcing sequels....
the silly things you read online these days are really amazing.

Well, that is the opinion by EpicNameBro first off. It wasn't my own. I happen to agree with his reasoning. Just because Activision gave them money doesn't mean they took their creative freedom. Hell some of my favorite FROM games were published by Activision on the Gamecube. Never hear of Lost Kingdoms? Great little series if you like card battling rpgs.

Ahh, this looks fantastic. Love the rough graphics, the animations, it smells good. Also BERSERK influenced protagonist rocks big time!!!! Hope fn Activision suits are on a leash.

I think the protagonist's entire left body is anamatronic! It looked like his leg was not 'his'. It may have just been the outfit though.

Tevious

I'm glad we're getting a different setting for a souls-style game other than dark fantasy, but between Sekiro, Nioh 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima, I think the feudal Japan setting is going to get a bit fatigued with them all coming out at roughly the same time (assuming Nioh 2 isn't in development for 14 years).

GenericUser

I'm glad we're getting a different setting for a souls-style game other than dark fantasy, but between Sekiro, Nioh 2, and Ghosts of Tsushima, I think the feudal Japan setting is going to get a bit fatigued with them all coming out at roughly the same time (assuming Nioh 2 isn't in development for 14 years).

Yeah, but only one of them has the true fromsoftware combat feel. I think Sekiro is safe. Of all the samurai games, I think it has by far the most potential to turn out great.

Ar¢tos

Well, that is the opinion by EpicNameBro first off. It wasn't my own. I happen to agree with his reasoning. Just because Activision gave them money doesn't mean they took their creative freedom. Hell some of my favorite FROM games were published by Activision on the Gamecube. Never hear of Lost Kingdoms? Great little series if you like card battling rpgs.
That is the most ridiculous bullshit i have ever heard. EpicNameBro needs to get a brainscan or is trying to get attention because he is not as "epic" as he was 5 years ago.
Saying that the company that allowed The Last Guardian to take 10 years to make and is making Dreams doesn't give creative freedom makes no sense. Specially when the exact same company is working with the exact same developer making a bizarre VR game (Déraciné).
Saying they demand sequels is also ridiculous, they don't demand sequels from their own studios, why would they demand from 3rd party contracted for single games? ND wasn't forced to do Uncharted 4 after 3, Guerilla didn't make another Killzone and Sucker Punch isn't making another Infamous.
He is confusing Sony with MS... MS is the sequel factory with little creative freedom.
The real reason is much simpler, audience and IP control.
Working with Sony would limit the game to PS4 only and they wanted to do a multiplatform game. Working with Sony would also mean Sony owning the IP and they probably want control over the IP.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll

The setting in itself doesn't matter at all. Content matters and by the looks of it, Sekiro will gut out every contender.

Mr Hyde

Saw a video from Vaati now and it restored some hope for me about this game. Although the setting doesn't do anything for me the gameplay seems to be really good, particularly the grappling mechanic and the verticality it brings to the table. According to rumors it seems Sekiro will be more open-ended than previous Souls and focus more on exploration, including a big city. The PvP mechanic sounds very interesting, with the invading player taking the role of an enemy, and it looks like the game will have character customization.

JP

Looks good although probably not what I was hoping for from them.

It looks like Samurai inspired games are the in thing now with this, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh II and this on the way at some point. This is probably third on the list for me at the moment but that could change.

Makariel

I'm looking forward to this more than to Nioh 2, since it looks like it has stealth sections and the replacement arm seems to have some neat tricks. I'll still play Nioh 2 probably, but From Software is quite good with new IP (I prefer Bloodborne over any Dark Souls sequel, and the first Dark Souls over it's sequels as well).

iconmaster

Banned
It looks like Samurai inspired games are the in thing now with this, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh II and this on the way at some point.

Yeah, samurai and pirates are both big right now it seems. Pretty okay with that; it's a refreshing change from shooters.

Reyziak

Ah man, this looks great. So I guess this is one of the three games From was developing.

Sekiro for the familiar game, Deracine as the weird game(From has never done a VR game before), And Metal Wolf Chaos XD as the mech game.

Tevious

The setting in itself doesn't matter at all. Content matters and by the looks of it, Sekiro will gut out every contender.
Sure it matters. Why do you think all the popular shooters avoided the WW2 (at least Europe) setting for so long? It's seeing a return now because they've been pumping out modern/post-modern settings for the last 10 years or so. Dark Souls feels a bit fatigued now because we've had 4 games (including Demon's) in a similar dark fantasy setting. Bloodborne was the only departure from that, which wasn't a huge departure either. We've had Nioh last year and we'll possibly get Sekiro and Nioh 2 next year, plus a different game in that setting. If FromSoftware had announced they were making Dark Souls 4 instead of Sekiro, I think a lot of people would groan about it, myself included. I'm not saying FromSoftware shouldn't be making Sekiro. Actually, I kind of wish Team Ninja were trying something different this time. However, if FromSoftware then follows up Sekiro with a sequel afterward, I think I'm going to be a bit burned out on the setting after all these games (especially if we get a Nioh 3 game too).

Skyn3t

Banned
Some cool stuff about the game from Polygon

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/12/17453618/sekiro-shadows-die-twice-story-characters-enemy

The death mechanic seems exceptionally interesting:

Another unusual feature of Sekiro is its new death mechanic. Traditionally, in so-called Souls games, death returns the player to the nearest checkpoint, resets the enemies, and robs you of whatever you’ve earned. This time around, death returns players to the spot where they died.

In the demo we were shown, the main character died while fighting a large boss and several smaller enemies. The main character fell on his back, and the screen showed a Japanese character in red and the word “death” in English below it. Enemies turned their back on the player’s corpse and began to walk away. That’s when the player stood back up, taking one of the smaller enemies by surprise before returning to focus on the larger boss.

Representatives of FromSoftware said that the new death mechanic will give players a strategic advantage. You may want to get yourself killed on purpose, they said, in order to gain a tactical advantage. The developers were careful to mention that players won’t be able to revive indefinitely. There’s more to the death mechanic that will be revealed at a later time, they said, while promising that Sekiro will provide the same level of tension that fans of Dark Souls and Bloodborne have come to expect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom