• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] New SEKIRO (Shadows Die Twice) trailer from From Software

Darak

That video from VaatiVidya about the gameplay is great. It only uses what is shown in the trailer itself (it mentions previous leaks) but manages to extract a ton of information and exposes it in an enthusiastic but logical manner. It has convinced me the game is definitively very close to the Souls formula, but with a lot of changes making it something different at the same time (and stealth definitively has a role, although probably won't be a very prominent one).

DavidGzz

Haha, I had people jumping down my throat because I was concerned this was going to forgo a character creator and be more limited weapon wise. We'll see how it goes but sounds like a rental so far. Time to change my avy

Last edited:
If this was not a FROM game I would be way less willing to give them the benifit of the doubt.

But from what they have shown so far I do not like it. But we will see when it is finished.

I guess FROM has to make a bomb sometime.

The last thing I want is stealth, it's the kind of thing that has really rubbed me the wrong way this E3 with so many games with stealth being shown as a feature. Luckily there's DMC5.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Sure it matters. Why do you think all the popular shooters avoided the WW2 (at least Europe) setting for so long? It's seeing a return now because they've been pumping out modern/post-modern settings for the last 10 years or so. Dark Souls feels a bit fatigued now because we've had 4 games (including Demon's) in a similar dark fantasy setting. Bloodborne was the only departure from that, which wasn't a huge departure either. We've had Nioh last year and we'll possibly get Sekiro and Nioh 2 next year, plus a different game in that setting. If FromSoftware had announced they were making Dark Souls 4 instead of Sekiro, I think a lot of people would groan about it, myself included. I'm not saying FromSoftware shouldn't be making Sekiro. Actually, I kind of wish Team Ninja were trying something different this time. However, if FromSoftware then follows up Sekiro with a sequel afterward, I think I'm going to be a bit burned out on the setting after all these games (especially if we get a Nioh 3 game too).
The fatigue you are talking about occurs because one company comes up with a new idea, in this case a ww2 shooter, and everybody else (mostly sub-par contenders) copies it and floods the market. Or a team under a big megacorporation's umbrella is forced to do more and more sequels just to squeeze money out of it. Or you feel exhausted because someone brought the same shit to the table and you find zero new experience playing it. But no matter the circumstances if a game is good and enjoyable and brings hours of stellar entertainment nobody cares about the setting. Good content breathes new life into the same setting. AFAIK From Software does whatever it pleases and Miyazaki himself said that there will be no more Dark Souls. They just had enough of it and now they made something similar. Why should they make a racing game when they are pioneers in this genre and have a specific engine which serves them well?

Maddrical

Haha, I had people jumping down my throat because I was concerned this was going to forgo a character creator and be more limited weapon wise. We'll see how it goes but sounds like a rental so far. Time to change my avy

Going by the leaks which seem accurate so far, Sekiro will still most likely have a character creator. Not sure about the limited weapons, but given you have a customisable arm I don't think it'll be any more limited than Bloodborne.

grizzlywhisker

Neo Member
this game is going to be awesome, i'm pretty excited. dark/demon souls and bloodborne are my favorite games so i'll take anything that is in that vein. i'm not sure what's up with the samurai trend in gaming lately, but the sony exclusive "ghosts of tsushima" looks really cool too. i personally did not care for nioh, so i'm fine with seeing someone else do it (even though they announced nioh 2 as well...)

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not sure what to make of this one. From Software hasn't really let me down yet (except maybe DS2), but Ghost of Tsushima just looks so much better than this. How many samurai games do I even want? If you had asked me a month ago, I'd have said zero.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not sure what to make of this one. From Software hasn't really let me down yet (except maybe DS2), but Ghost of Tsushima just looks so much better than this. How many samurai games do I even want? If you had asked me a month ago, I'd have said zero.
I also really like Ghost but SEKIRO is going much more fantasy while Tsushima is going for more realistic, Its pointless comparing the two.

Codes 208

With everything said and done. This is currently my GoE3. Love.the soulsborne franchise, and i like the faster paced vibe this one give.
That video from VaatiVidya about the gameplay is great. It only uses what is shown in the trailer itself (it mentions previous leaks) but manages to extract a ton of information and exposes it in an enthusiastic but logical manner. It has convinced me the game is definitively very close to the Souls formula, but with a lot of changes making it something different at the same time (and stealth definitively has a role, although probably won't be a very prominent one).
I cant think of vaatividya without think8ng of how he was parodied in happy souls
giphy-downsized-large.gif

(Couldnt find a gif of vaati, but this part also cracks me up)

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I really don't like the Bionic Commando arm. The whole thing makes it feel like a completely different game from the souls series and even Bloodborne, which is the most actiony Souls game. It really feels different, but we'll see what's it like.

I definitely don't like the grapple hook stuff.

Mibuokami

I really don't like the Bionic Commando arm. The whole thing makes it feel like a completely different game from the souls series and even Bloodborne, which is the most actiony Souls game. It really feels different, but we'll see what's it like.

I definitely don't like the grapple hook stuff.

I am completely the opposite, with Nioh 2 and GoT also around the corner, the robot-arm stands out and separate the action of Sekiro from the rest. I also don't want them to just copy the entire Dark Souls formula and just change the setting. This is a brand new game and it needs its own identity.

Last edited:

J-Rod

I hope this scratches the non-souls itch people have been clamoring for from From, so the dullards like me can get another true souls game next go around. The lack of multiplayer (albeit typically jank and broken) and equipment variety really is a bummer to me.

sublimit

Banned
Looks good although probably not what I was hoping for from them.

It looks like Samurai inspired games are the in thing now with this, Ghost of Tsushima, Nioh II and this on the way at some point. This is probably third on the list for me at the moment but that could change.
All those new Samurai games yet Capcom continues to refuse making a new Onimusha. SMH :(

NahaNago

There was hype for this game before anyone knew it existed?

That original teaser created a lot more interest than hype since it was a from software game but this kinda killed a it a little. I am going to do a bit more research to see if I will be interested in the game.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This game was announced 6 months ago.

Was it though? It was a teaser...how can you be hyped over that. Hell, most people thought it was Bloodborne 2. No I still believe the hype started when it was reveled at the E3 conference.

-MD-

Was it though? It was a teaser...how can you be hyped over that. Hell, most people thought it was Bloodborne 2. No I still believe the hype started when it was reveled at the E3 conference.

The hype started the moment "From Software" was flashed on screen back in December 2017.

That's what a teaser is for, to get people excited and talking before the full reveal.

Danjin44

I heard this game has no character creation and no online feature. That actually makes me very excited about this game.

Does anyone remember From's Software Ninja Blade? That was a fine action game, but not great. Maybe this time, From Software have better resources to make a really really good hack and slash.

DavidGzz

So combat will be deeper similar to God of War. I think this may be a good change to give us a better first playthrough but I fear the replay will suffer. Similar to how I have no desire to play through God of War again. It will lose the addictive nature of wanting to make a new character and trying a new build. I hope I am wrong. I hope reviews can touch on that aspect to know if I should buy or rent. A question I never thought I would ask myself of another From Software game.

Danjin44

So combat will be deeper similar to God of War. I think this may be a good change to give us a better first playthrough but I fear the replay will suffer. Similar to how I have no desire to play through God of War again. It will lose the addictive nature of wanting to make a new character and trying a new build. I hope I am wrong. I hope reviews can touch on that aspect to know if I should buy or rent. A question I never thought I would ask myself of another From Software game.
For me its the opposite. I LOVE that this game much more Single Player focus game with no online and no character creation. For me I don't need online or RPG system for replay value, as long as the game is good enough then I will replay it.

Ar¢tos

For me its the opposite. I LOVE that this game much more Single Player focus game with no online and no character creation. For me I don't need online or RPG system for replay value, as long as the game is good enough then I will replay it.
Do you prefer to pay 60$ for a game you play once or twice and did and saw everything or a game you can replay 5 or 6 times in a different way because of having different builds with different approaches to combat and that you continue playing with friends and randoms doing co-op/pvp?
I have nothing against the first type, I do like single player games, but because of the limited replayability and non-dwindling player base i refuse to pay 60$ for them. I can wait 1 year, pay 20-30$ and have more polished experience because the initial bugs have been fixed. It's not like there is any shortage of games to play until then.
Activision needs to sweat a lot to get any money from me.

Danjin44

Do you prefer to pay 60$ for a game you play once or twice and did and saw everything or a game you can replay 5 or 6 times in a different way because of having different builds with different approaches to combat and that you continue playing with friends and randoms doing co-op/pvp?
I have nothing against the first type, I do like single player games, but because of the limited replayability and non-dwindling player base i refuse to pay 60$ for them. I can wait 1 year, pay 20-30$ and have more polished experience because the initial bugs have been fixed. It's not like there is any shortage of games to play until then.
Activision needs to sweat a lot to get any money from me.
To me a game's worth all about how good the game is and when it comes to gaming I'm very anti-social. I don't want anybody in my games I don't want to depend on other people for enjoyment of my games. I also dont like character creation in my games because they don't feel like I'm controlling a character rather controlling an avatar and usually those avatar are there because online feature that couldn't care less about.

Honestly don't we have enough souls games from FromSoftware already at this point? I'm sure they themselves got sick of making one. I for one very glad see them making different type of game instead of making another soul game.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

To me a game's worth all about how good the game is and when it comes to gaming I'm very anti-social. I don't want anybody in my games I don't want to depend on other people for enjoyment of my games. I also dont like character creation in my games because they don't feel like I'm controlling a character rather controlling an avatar and usually those avatar are there because online feature that couldn't care less about.

Honestly don't we have enough souls games from FromSoftware already at this point? I'm sure they themselves got sick of making one. I for one very glad see them making different type of game instead of making another soul game.
It doesn't need to be a souls game to have co-op/pvp, or even different playstyles tied to builds.

Danjin44

It doesn't need to be a souls game to have co-op/pvp, or even different playstyles tied to builds.
That's the thing, I don't want any co-op or pvp. I want pure single player game and I kind of like that we are just playing as samurai.

Ar¢tos

That's the thing, I don't want any co-op or pvp. I want pure single player game and I kind of like that we are just playing as samurai.
So you want Ghost of Tsushima then?
FROM strength has been worlds where players can play together in co-op or pvp in in/out sessions. Doing a single player game is chasing a market that has more competition and more experienced competition, and knowing FROM technical limitations, they might not do so well. People forgave FROM technical issues and not so awesome visuals because of the uniqueness of their games, they won't be so forgiving when comparing Sekiro to Ghost of Tsushima.

Reyziak

FROM strength has been worlds where players can play together in co-op or pvp in in/out sessions. Doing a single player game is chasing a market that has more competition and more experienced competition, and knowing FROM technical limitations, they might not do so well. People forgave FROM technical issues and not so awesome visuals because of the uniqueness of their games, they won't be so forgiving when comparing Sekiro to Ghost of Tsushima.
Dude, From has experience with singleplayer games, this isn't new for them. The Soulsborne games are new.

Ar¢tos

Dude, From has experience with singleplayer games, this isn't new for them. The Soulsborne games are new.
Comparisons are inevitable anyway.
They are both samurai-themed single player action adventure games. The main difference is probably gameplay, Sekiro will probably be more "hardcore". If Sekiro releases after GoT, then the comparisons will be even tougher.
The games haven't released yet but it is very safe to say that GoT will have better visuals and better performance. For the non-informed casuals, GoT will be more appealing.

Mr Hyde

I really hope there is character customization. The main protagonist looked boring as hell. Plus I get more immersed if I can create my own character. I also hope for a lot of diversity with builds as well, with many weapons and armor too choose from. But I ain´t holding my breath for any of it, this looks more like a true singleplayer-adventure with limited online features and more focus on the story. I hope more news about the game surface in the next couple of days.

Danjin44

SEKIRO is more of fantasy samurai game while Ghost of Tsushima is realistic samurai game and I honesty want both games. FROM worked on plenty of co-op/pvp games already I want pure single player game out of them for once. And about the visuals, to me FROM are like Atlus their games might not have technical marvel graphics but their art direction is makes up for it.

Fbh

While I do love the Souls formula and hope they make more games like that in the future, I'm glad to hear they are trying something different with this one .
Also impressions are sounding good and as long as both the combat and level design are up to the standards of their previous games I'm in.

This looks good, wonder if it’s gonna be easier with activision on board I’d imagine they will want to appeal to the mass market.

I'm pretty sure Activision has realized that FromSoft games are appealing to a Mass Market at this point.

this is a huge disappointment, i love soulsborne series but i had fucking enough, i was really hyped for From's new game, i thought it was gonna be Tenchu or something different, instead we got yet another soulsborne game, what makes it even worse is that it's a Samurai soulsborne game, we already played a samurai soulsborne game rip-off last year

i hope i'm wrong and SEKIRO turns out to be completely different and not another Demon's souls sequel

if it's another soulsborne game then it's gonna be 6 games of the Demon's souls series in 10 years, that's a lot
FromSoft is never allowed to make another Tenchu game and the less we encourage them, the better. Let that series stay dead.

xviper

I'm pretty sure Activision has realized that FromSoft games are appealing to a Mass Market at this point.

FromSoft is never allowed to make another Tenchu game and the less we encourage them, the better. Let that series stay dead.
i waited so long and i'm still waiting for a new Tenchu, it will come back one day, but the question is will it be good like Tenchu 3 ?

xviper

i read some infos about SEKIRO and it seems a bit different from soulsborne games and that's good, no leveling up and no souls gone after death, but still even if they changed some things from the soulsborne series, i feel like the game will still be considered a soulsborne game, the gameplay, the bosses, and difficulty, it's still similar, lets hope it's completely different

but now i'm more hyped for SEKIRO than before

i waited so long and i'm still waiting for a new Tenchu, it will come back one day, but the question is will it be good like Tenchu 3 ?
I don't mind another Tenchu game, I mind another Tenchu game developed by FromSoftware.

Shadow Assault Tenchu was an atrocity and I don't want From tainting the franchise anymore than they already have.

Top Bottom