• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-MS] New SEKIRO (Shadows Die Twice) trailer from From Software

Full Famitsu interview with Miyazaki, credit to reddit user ElDynamite

Reading this rekindled my faith in From and this game, now I’m way more excited and can’t wait any longer.

people have zero loyalty. people see one thing they dont like or that lives up to their 'standard' and its automatic "this is shit" without even experiencing it. ill always give any dev i like the benefit of the doubt. its always weird to me how quickly people brush something off

Mr Branding

people have zero loyalty. people see one thing they dont like or that lives up to their 'standard' and its automatic "this is shit" without even experiencing it. ill always give any dev i like the benefit of the doubt. its always weird to me how quickly people brush something off

Agreed. I don't get people. What did they want? ANOTHER Bloodborne or Souls game? The formula is getting stale already.
I mean, they rejoice when God of War changes into something else because the old games were "more of the same" but when From switches things up, it gets panned?

I wanted to see Tenchu , to be honest, but seeing how this gen was short on dynamic character action games, I welcome Sekiro wholeheartedly.
From the info they released so far I could not be more happy; no stats, very light rpg mechanics (especially considering every game is trying to become this sprawling rpg nowadays), focus on action, etc.

Sorry if I come across as condescending, but sometimes I feel gamers are part of the problem and that's why we can't have nice things.

edit: to the poster above me -> to me it resembles the ps2 game Blood Will Tell. In that game, you also controlled a samurai and battled bosses and whatnot to acquire body parts, each with their own attacks and twists. There is also a manga by the name of Dororo if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
I freaking hate changes in my game franchises. I prefer my sequels to be more or less the same with very minor changes. I just don't like drastic changes a la GoW.

I personally don't care how many times they milk the soulsborne series. I'll buy every one of him. Hasn't gotten old for me yet and I don't think it will.

brap

Banned
I freaking hate changes in my game franchises. I prefer my sequels to be more or less the same with very minor changes. I just don't like drastic changes a la GoW.

I personally don't care how many times they milk the soulsborne series. I'll buy every one of him. Hasn't gotten old for me yet and I don't think it will.
Sekiro is its own game so I don't get the complaining.

Ar¢tos

Sekiro is its own game so I don't get the complaining.
My main complaint is "Activision"... I have ZERO trust in them, and every article that comes out about this game i read in hope to discover where their evil touch is in this game.
A bit of change is ok, i personally would like another "souls", but something different is always welcome, as long as it don't fall into the ridiculous.
But being published by Activision = no pre-order for me, no matter what they promise. I will get it after reading reviews and players opinions.

Mr Hyde

I´m beginning to soften up on this game. i read the Eurogamer piece and what Miyazaki says there feels comforting. Gameplay wise it looks to be that same amazing wizardy I´ve come to expected from him. My only gripe right now is the setting, but since it won´t go away it´s better to just start hyping. I´m confident Miyazaki will put out another masterpiece, he is on a roll right now and just churns out new Ips like there is no tomorrow. It´s incredible when you think about it. Most directors put out one, maybe two Ips their entire career, but Miyazaki just keeps them coming. Although he sticks to his well known design, he switches things up every time, from Demon´s to Dark Souls to Bloodborne to Sekiro. There is always something new that makes the formula feels fresh.

Espada

What's really exciting here is the fact that From Software do a tremendous job with brand new entries. Their sequels often leave something to be desired, but goddamn if the initial outings aren't strong as hell.

brap

Banned
Oh I know. I said that in response to someone else my bad.
It's all good.

My main complaint is "Activision"... I have ZERO trust in them, and every article that comes out about this game i read in hope to discover where their evil touch is in this game.
A bit of change is ok, i personally would like another "souls", but something different is always welcome, as long as it don't fall into the ridiculous.
But being published by Activision = no pre-order for me, no matter what they promise. I will get it after reading reviews and players opinions.
I mean I don't get why anybody would pre order a game in this day and age lmao. I keep forgetting that Acti is publishing it though. :cautious:

Reyziak

https://gamingbolt.com/ghost-of-tsushima-will-allow-players-to-choose-between-stealth-and-combat#nnn

Sucker Punch Co-Studio Head Chris Zimmerman noted that the game will allow players to choose between stealth and combat, ultimately enabling either, or both, playstyles, so players can choose to play the game their way.

“It’s up to you, really, as a player,” Zimmerman said. “It’s an open world game, you can choose your path. The game has to work well for people with different play styles. They’re looking for different things in the game, we have to give it to them. There are people that have a pure samurai-style: where you walk into the door and say, “come at me.” And we have people that want to play pure ghost, where they don’t want anyone to see them around.”

“There are things in the game that happen, situations you find yourself in that really are steering you towards one style or the other,” Zimmerman continued. “But you definitely have a different balance from player to player. So it’s really up to you.”
You might have the wrong thread my friend, unless you did that on purpose.

It's all good.

I mean I don't get why anybody would pre order a game in this day and age lmao. I keep forgetting that Acti is publishing it though. :cautious:

People don't know this, but From and Activision go waaaaaay back, They published a lot of their games back in the day.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/sekiro-shado...lements-but-will-approach-them-more-carefully

“We’re not 100 percent rooted in reality,” the game’s director and From Software CEO Hidetaka Miyazaki told Edge magazine (Issue 322, September 2018). “Of course it’s important to retain a sense of faithfulness, but we’re not trying to to make a historical depiction of the Sengoku era. While we explored more drastically fantastical elements in our previous games, we want to approach this with a little more dignity this time – a little more carefully, maybe.”

“But, rest assured, you’re not just going to be fighting humanoids the whole way through,” Miyazaki continued. “There are going to be some things beyond human, even a little supernatural, hidden within this world. In order to make these fantastical, mystical or even grotesque beings seem even more so, the initial groundwork is a lot more realistic.”

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
https://gamingbolt.com/sekiro-shado...lements-but-will-approach-them-more-carefully

“We’re not 100 percent rooted in reality,” the game’s director and From Software CEO Hidetaka Miyazaki told Edge magazine (Issue 322, September 2018). “Of course it’s important to retain a sense of faithfulness, but we’re not trying to to make a historical depiction of the Sengoku era. While we explored more drastically fantastical elements in our previous games, we want to approach this with a little more dignity this time – a little more carefully, maybe.”

“But, rest assured, you’re not just going to be fighting humanoids the whole way through,” Miyazaki continued. “There are going to be some things beyond human, even a little supernatural, hidden within this world. In order to make these fantastical, mystical or even grotesque beings seem even more so, the initial groundwork is a lot more realistic.”

So Miyazaki is basically taking inspiration from the Game of Thrones playbook now. Start by keeping the story just at the cusp of being something that could take place in reality with enough hints of the magical/fantastic to inspire a sense of otherworldliness. He is a true genius.

I only wonder how long it will take FromSoftware (HBO) to get to the point where there are
zombies and spectacular ice dragon destruction to GoT Season 7 all over his work
in order to appeal to the masses.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Playstation Asia FB page posted a video with Yasuhiro Kitao (From Software Marketing Manager) who said that they will be showing exclusive gameplay footage at PSX Southeast Asia (August 18-19,Bangkok,Thailand)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/sekiro-shado...-compromised-to-appeal-to-certain-players#nnn

While speaking on this matter with Edge (September 2018, Issue 322), Miyazaki made it clear that From won’t compromise on their vision for Sekiro to appeal to any particular type of player, while also speaking a bit about how exactly the idea for the game came to the developers. “We’re not consciously trying to make a game that’s oriented towards a certain subset of users,” Miyazaki said. “We’re making games for people that love games.”

“When we first started discussing what this project would be, we decided we wanted to make a game with a Japanese setting,” said Miyazaki. “From that stemmed the discussion of ninja. This of course spurred discussion of Tenchu, which is a title both From and Activision have a history with. From these ideas – Tenchu, Japan, and ninja – come these light stealth mechanics. They just naturally weave themselves into the design.”

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Releasing March 22nd!

Let's do this!
giphy.gif

Nymphae

Banned

Sometimes I pre-order because I have the cash now, and might not on release day. I have a pre-order for Spider-Man because I had the money to spare a few months ago and september will be a tight month for me, I know I'm going to enjoy it, and honestly I was hearing stories about shortages (which I will believe when I see, but I haven't heard about shortages for a game in a long time, and a friend of mine said Wal-Mart wasn't taking pre-orders anymore.)

Mr Hyde

March 22nd bookmarked in the calendar. And it´s a Friday, which means I will be playing the shit out of it that weekend.

Thiagosc777

Sometimes I pre-order because I have the cash now, and might not on release day. I have a pre-order for Spider-Man because I had the money to spare a few months ago and september will be a tight month for me, I know I'm going to enjoy it, and honestly I was hearing stories about shortages (which I will believe when I see, but I haven't heard about shortages for a game in a long time, and a friend of mine said Wal-Mart wasn't taking pre-orders anymore.)

On Xbox they charge your credit card only when it is close to the launch date. I pre-ordered Tomb Raider as soon as it became available and they haven't charged me yet, and the game is coming out in a few weeks.

xviper

the first reveal left me disappointed, but the more i learn about this game the more i get excited

has it been confirmed before whether the game has a connected map like soulsborne or is it separated missions like Tenchu ?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Miyazaki made it clear that From won’t compromise on their vision for Sekiro to appeal to any particular type of player, while also speaking a bit about how exactly the idea for the game came to the developers. “We’re not consciously trying to make a game that’s oriented towards a certain subset of users,” Miyazaki said. “We’re making games for people that love games.”
Oh shit. It's a game for gamers like meeeeee!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

the first reveal left me disappointed, but the more i learn about this game the more i get excited

has it been confirmed before whether the game has a connected map like soulsborne or is it separated missions like Tenchu ?

Yes, there will be an interconnected world instead of separate missions.

GenericUser

Fuck yeah, I'm sooo looking forward to this game. FROM Software are a talented bunch of people when it comes to designing these 3rd person action adventure games. They've proven this with the Souls games and I'm eager to see what they can do with this game.

Kagey K

Banned
On Xbox they charge your credit card only when it is close to the launch date. I pre-ordered Tomb Raider as soon as it became available and they haven't charged me yet, and the game is coming out in a few weeks.

They charge when the game goes gold and the full download becomes available. Usually a couple weeks before launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom