• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Nintendo E3 2018 Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate the show

• A

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • B

Votes: 46 12.4%
  • C

Votes: 91 24.5%
  • D

Votes: 124 33.4%
  • E

Votes: 97 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RPGCrazied

They weren't kidding when they said they announced MP 4 early. Can't even get concept art or any information at all? I might even think they just barely started working on it. This game is going to take 4 years at least to come out.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know I should be disappointed by this Direct because they mostly showed Smash and I honestly never cared for that series but Xenoblade DLC and new FE looked soooooooooo good!!!!

iconmaster

Banned
Snake, Ridley and Daisy in Smash? Nintendo are pulling miracles here.

New Fire Emblem looks like a huge leap over previous games.

That Daemon X Machina looks really cool too.

Last edited:

MrRogers

Something stinks in retro land. It should not take five - six years to make a game. Nintendo in general should be pumping out AA-AAA tier first party titles every month with just focusing on one hardware platform, i mean that was the point right? The future doesn't look bright and hopefully they are punished sales wise, with this empty release calender.

kunonabi

have there ever been konami characters in smash before? that bomberman assist trophy made me hopeful of Simon Belmont, the last thing I wanted was Ridley but I'll live.

I thought it was ok, I feel people are being overly dramatic, or maybe I'm getting old.

Just Snake and with there barely being any new characters in this one Simon is pretty much out.

The_Struggle

Neo Member
EVERYONE!!!!! Pretty hyped for the new smash new mario party seems cool that mech game at the beginning seemed cool. Fire Emblem looks solid and hey Ridley is a thing good for the people who wanted him cant grade unfortunately too much of a nintendo fanboy wouldnt be fair. but i liked it.

Petrae

Boy, that Smash info dump was so... so... so... LONG. Was there seriously nothing else to show that such filler was necessary? I mean— Smash looks great and all, but the technical fighting game stuff was confusing as fuck and I started losing interest quickly. We’re not all eSports players, nor do we aspire to be.

Super Mario Party is a game I want to like, but compulsory motion control use would be an absolute non-starter.

Grade: B-

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know I should be disappointed by this Direct because they mostly showed Smash and I honestly never cared for that series but Xenoblade DLC and new FE looked soooooooooo good!!!!
Not for me. You already know what happens in the past anyway. Feels like huge letdown and I'd rather know what happens to the world after the end. Also no Pyra/XC2 characters:/

So, right now September has Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC, October has Mario Party, November has Pokemon Let's Go, and December has Smash. If nothing else new is announced through Treehouse that's really weak. Where's Yoshi? That and the Fire Emblem delay really hurt.

edit: I give Microsoft a B, Sony a C+, and Nintendo a C-.

Last edited:
Man I absolutely loved this! For me this was the best conference of E3, it showed me exactly what I was hoping to see. Tons of Smash obviously, new characters, a few favs returning, new stages, Super Mario Party was an unexpected surprise (I'd given up hope) new Fire Emblem looks great for 2019, Fortnite will be a great fit for the Switch on the go. New Octopath demo to tide us over until the release. They killed it for me as a long time Nintendo fan.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not for me. You already know what happens in the past anyway. Feels like huge letdown and I'd rather know what happens to the world after the end. Also no Pyra/XC2 characters:/
I personally really interested in that time line so I'm damn hyped for this.

So, right now September has Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC, October has Mario Party, November has Pokemon Let's Go, and December has Smash. If nothing else new is announced through Treehouse that's really weak.
Don't forget we have Octopath Traveler in July.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I personally really interested in that time line so I'm damn hyped for this.

OT is prob the best thing you can play on the switch

Man! This killed my mood for...everything!

I knew, that I should lower my expectations because of the warning about this show mostly concerning 2018 games, but holy cow, am I still disappointed!

Just a small glance to Metroid 4 might have saved it for me, but now I am actually so depressed, that it kills my mood for even the ones, that I got excited about in the beginning of the video.

(Well, ok, I’m not that hot for seeing E3 show fattening non gameplay video filler year after a year either)

I was just looking at the fall lineup from Nintendo. I'm excited about a lot of games in the next couple months. The Mario+Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC, Octopath Traveler, Hollow Knight, Mario Tennis Aces, and Lumines Remastered are all in the next month or so.

DonF

This direct in less words
Smash: Various fixes and balance issues
Fire emblem switch
Minor new stuff

Fbh

Well hey, Octopath just gained a new feature . It will keep the battery of my switch from dying by giving me a reason to plug it in every now and then until next year

Last edited:
Shame on me for thinking Nintendo would change, 22 years later and it's still the same old drought shit with Nintendo. So basically from mid July to December there's fucking nothing.

Andyliini

I did not lile the Smash segment beimg so awfully lomg, hopefully they will not doing that ever again. Hopefully the game will sell well come December, though. The game should be great.

cryptoadam

Banned
No Metroid is OK. I was expecting it to be 2019 so we will see it at a December or Jan Direct.

But I thought Nintendo would have at least 6 or 7 games to have 1 first party game per month. Mario party, Smash, Aces, and Pokemon is a good lineup but they are missing games. I really thought we would see Yoshi and the rumored Star fox. If not those games then something else. Not even ports to fill the line up.

Smash blow out is great. MP is great. Lots of games for switch players to play but Nintendo really blew 2018 for me. Very weak line up for the whole year with essentially some ports and Smash as the big hitter.

2019 NEEDS to be a big year. Metroid/Bayo/Real Pokemon, but they will need more. If they skimped on 2018, 2019 has to be full of first party software, 9-10 games and some ports. Or else the Nintendo droughts will be back.

I wonder if Nintendo thought Labo would be bigger and would carry them through the summer of 2018?

Nintendo had an easy lay up to win e3 if they put a good remaining 2018 forward, but they flubbed IMO. I really thought they would have 7 games ready to go (even if 1 or 2 were ports).

Carlinhos_0986

Neo Member
Man! This killed my mood for...everything!

I knew, that I should lower my expectations because of the warning about this show mostly concerning 2018 games, but holy cow, am I still disappointed!

Just a small glance to Metroid 4 might have saved it for me, but now I am actually so depressed, that it kills my mood for even the ones, that I got excited about in the beginning of the video.

(Well, ok, I’m not that hot for seeing E3 show fattening non gameplay video filler year after a year either)
The E3 presentation was disappointing, but at least there are plenty of titles to look forward to in the upcoming months. I'm particularly excited for Megaman X, Megaman 11, Monster Hunter, Octopath, TWEWY, Tales of Vesperia and Dark Souls. Best announcement today was Hollow Knight, IMO. Hopefully they announce at least some more good ports in the next direct, like Xenoblade 1 & X, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

tkscz

Ok hold on guys. All this hyperbole is unnecessary. Nintendo's wasn't any different than Sony's, except I think Nintendo showed off more games. Yes, the guys at the Sony thread were bitching, but selling their consoles was not something they were yelling to the hills. Calm down people. This was WAY far from the worse Nintendo conference, or even the worst of this year E3. Square, EA, and Bethesda are still worse.

RPGCrazied

Well hey, Octopath just gained a new feature . It will keep the battery of my switch from dying by giving me a reason to plug it in every now and then until next year

Pretty much. This game and the X DLC is all I will buy this year from Nintendo. Not a very good end of the year for them in my opinion.

Zannegan

The Mech game looks awesome. Leading with that, I thought the conference was going to be insane. Turns out, that was the biggest surprise.

Here's hoping Treehouse has a couple surprise announcements.

I was really hoping for a Castlevania collection or two.

Wow, this felt more like a Smash Bros Direct than an E3 conference.

I’m excited about what’s coming, but I expected... a lot more.

Chastten

Banned
Well, that was a trainwreck. I mean, I like Smash as much as the next Nintendo fan but I really didn't need all that info.

Was hoping for some more games. Fire Emblem and that mecha games looked good though, so there's that at least

balgajo

My main question right now its to know what all the Nintendo studios are doing for a while...

Last edited:

Aquanox

Lol...

Not even NINTENDO could get away with something like this. What the hell whas that?!

It was so unreal when they said they had one more (big?) announcement after their 1-Game Briefing... And then ¡BOOM!... More Smash Bros characters :LOL::LOL:

1. Microsoft 8.5/10
2. Sony 5/10
3. Nintendo 2/10

Last edited:

Andyliini

ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE OP!

We shall continue to discuss the Treehouse streams in this thread, as I see no reason to open another one. The tournaments also belong to this thread. Of course, feel free to discuss the Direct, too.

OH-MyCar

Lol...

Not even NINTENDO could get away with something like this. What the hell whas that?!

It was so unreal when they said they had one more (big?) announcement after their 1-Game Briefing... And then ¡BOOM!... More Smash Bros characters :LOL::LOL:

1. Microsoft 8.5/10
2. Sony 5/10
3. Nintendo 2/10

I gave extremely similar ratings initially, but I actually think by showing us how bad it could actually get? Nintendo bumped Sony up a few notches. I'd give Sony a good 7/10 now.

yesrushdt

So glad I didn't watch the Nintendo Direct. Their E3 presentations and directs have had a habit of disappointing in the past and it looks like this year was no different. They could of at least shown a little gameplay from Metroid Prime 4 to break up the monotony of having far too many Wii U ports.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Fire Emblem was suppose to be a 2018 game? Wonder what happened.

Considering the anemic lineup and their refusal to show Yoshi at this e3 I wouldn't be surprised if some of their teams are having more trouble with switch development than others.

Andyliini

They really went all in with the animated series look for this game. Wonder if you meet Ash on the road.

Not gonna lie, this really tickels my nostalgia nerves.

oagboghi2

So, right now September has Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC, October has Mario Party, November has Pokemon Let's Go, and December has Smash. If nothing else new is announced through Treehouse that's really weak. Where's Yoshi? That and the Fire Emblem delay really hurt.

edit: I give Microsoft a B, Sony a C+, and Nintendo a C-.
You're forgetting octopath, wolfenstin, the world ends with you, Dragonball z fighters and monster Hunter generations. They don't have a bad release schedule at all

NahaNago

Yeah, I was a little disappointed but I was expecting just a somewhat larger direct so I'm not freaking out too much. They really need to work on their E3. They really should have shown everything that would at least come out until E3 2019 and have the later directs just be more info on those games.

Top Bottom