• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Nintendo E3 2018 Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate the show

• A

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • B

Votes: 46 12.4%
  • C

Votes: 91 24.5%
  • D

Votes: 124 33.4%
  • E

Votes: 97 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Is there anything worth of value coming out this year on Switch?

I bought my Switch to play the eventual Pokemon game but those games coming out later this year look legit awful. I also have no interest in Smash, so about half of the direct was irrelevant to me. Why not just make an exclusive direct for it at a later time? The only thing I saw worth anything for this fall was the XV2 DLC. What are supposed to be the big console sellers this fall?

Octopath? I'm kind of having a hard time as well. I feel sort of cheated again, this time it seemed like things were going so well and 3rd parties were jumping on board so I thought it was safe but it's looking kinda grim again tbh.

FStubbs

F. This E3 killed Switch momentum. They needed a strong first party showing to keep things going.

Sony and Microsoft can survive garbage E3s because they get all the big AAA games which sell hardware.

My brain says D because they did show some new stuff, but my heart says F because if you don't care about Smash this was a painful, boring watch.

Seriously, Smash was 60% of that Direct and they talked in-depth on minute mechanical changes that should've been saved for a Smash specific Direct.

Orta

Banned
Vibes of those desperate Nintendo e3's of the past when gamers tuned in just to laugh at them in the face of the Sony and Microsoft juggernauts

p1000641.jpg

qHoJJXx.png

Zannegan

F. This E3 killed Switch momentum.

I don't know about that. Switch will probably continue to be a sales beast, especially with Pokemon, Fortnight, and Smash.

It was certainly a weak showing though. Regardless of what they showed, there just wasn't enough there.

Vibes of those desperate Nintendo e3's of the past when gamers tuned in just to laugh at them in the face of the Sony and Microsoft juggernauts

Thank you for the reminder that, compared to E3 2008, this was actually a solid show. XD

I will never forget that horrific show.

Last edited:

FStubbs

p1000641.jpg

qHoJJXx.png

Hey, they were on top when Cammy was there. She may have been a goofball on stage but she knew how to sell consoles.

Meesh

I've never ever for never ever ever been this let down about a Nintendo E3.

I'm glad we didn't hype the shit outta this... the melt down would've been catatsrophically devastating.

KevinKeene

Banned
You always sell things at a loss :)

I was hoping for some virtual console stuff as I missed all of the U games.

Oh ffs, I totally forget about that. STILL no virtual console, no netflix, no nothing. Sigh.

The Switch' future lineup is actually quite good, but this E3 was terrible :/

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I'm getting flashbacks to the Wii when they were selling like hotcakes and Nintendo kinda justs seems to go in an autopilot mode were they sit back a bit and watch the hardware money roll in...

I remember have this theory that Nintendo uses software and hardware gimmicks to sell hardware not the other way around. That their primary business model is selling hardware.

I mean most of their hardware is overpriced and they are reluctant to drop prices so they must be making decent profit. You think a 3DS XL still costs $150 to make in 2018? How many special edition 3DS's were there?

Yagami_Sama

Boy.That was disappointing. And the thing that killed the event for me was postponing Fire Emblem to 2019.This was a kick right between the legs. Smash for December was something I was not expecting. And man,25 minutes of Smash Bros was too much and made me think that the game is an enhanced port and putting Ridley there was damage control.

There are a lot of good stuff reading to Switch,but this second half of the year ,the Switch line up is not that great.Pokemon spin-off and Smash will millions,like 10 millions each,but I still feel that something is missing.

Where is the Yoshi' s game?Retro's project?

The direct was a B- but overall I give Nintendo an A by virtue of the Switch releasing Hollow Knight. I’m playing it right now and it feels fantastic on handheld mode with great HD rumble implementation.

As for consoles on TV, I’m no longer interested. PS4 and PC gaming are dead to me.

FStubbs

I'm getting flashbacks to the Wii when they were selling like hotcakes and Nintendo kinda justs seems to go in an autopilot mode were they sit back a bit and watch the hardware money roll in...

I remember have this theory that Nintendo uses software and hardware gimmicks to sell hardware not the other way around. That their primary business model is selling hardware.

I mean most of their hardware is overpriced and they are reluctant to drop prices so they must be making decent profit. You think a 3DS XL still costs $150 to make in 2018? How many special edition 3DS's were there?

No, that's exactly their business model. And it works when they put out good first party software that sells the hardware.

Halo0629

C or B-. Smash is the only thing that interest me other than that there's really nothing for me, kinda wished for an animal crossing though.

WaterAstro

Watched the whole thing... they really don't have much and kept focus on Smash.

I honestly don't feel smash is special anymore because it's always going to feel the same each gen. This isn't like Breath of the Wild where they could really blow out how different it is from the other Zeldas. Not excited. Really no megatons either.

They really don't get it, especially with no online on Mario Party.

Jezan

B for me, but only because I care about Smash, Metroid and Xenoblade, and we got a lot of Smash. All the other IPs I care about are dead.

Starjudy

Neo Member
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate features every character from every Smash Bros. game ever, coming Dec. 7
Maybe it's a long time for me to wait

Michele

you.
Hey hey hey, now, now, please calm down and don't jump to conclusion.

I'm sure Nintendo E3 has tricks up their sleeves and even if they don't, they will win anyways

ruvikx

Banned
I'm sure Nintendo will be fine, but, wasn't the marriage of their home console & portable hardware into one package supposed to fix software droughts? i.e. during the Wii U's il-fated era in which tumbleweed was blowing across the system whilst people waited for the good stuff to land, the 3DS seemed to get a constant flow of instant classics.

I'm pretty certain many people believed the Switch would follow suit. So I'm 'surprised' to see this year's E3 end like this for Nintendo.

Lanrutcon

Kinda scared to buy a Switch this year. Want to play Xenoblade and Monster Hunter...but so much is only releasing next year. Don't want to buy a Switch now only to have them reveal a better model next year.

Chinbo37

Yes I think the same. That or they think that Switch money is just going to keep rolling in. How come they have to learn this lesson over and over? It seems that by uniting protiable and console development they have jsut cut costs instead of allocating the same amount of costs into developing for one system.

The Wii U drought was real and its a shame its looking the same for hte Switch after such a strong start.

KevinKeene

Banned
While E3 was bad, I'll make a thread later today on the entire software situation of the Switch. Because there's a little too much doom and gloom going on, when it's actually not that bad.

E3 was super bad for Nintendo. But not the overall situation.

Giving Nintendo a B. I REALLY wanted to see SMTV, but alas we have to wait some more. Pokemon, Smash, and Daemon X Machina (yes yes yes) made the show great for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am not a Switch owner and have not owned a Nintendo product since the Wii and I really only played three games on it: Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword. 3 Nintendo games in a 10+ year period.
A Switch is not in my future any time soon. My hope was that this conference would give me SOME excuse to jump in. I had it playing while I checked out the new game modes for Prey.

Unfortunately, really, the one way Nintendo would have gotten me 100% is if they had announced an enhanced Switch in which current games can be played at near 4K resolutions. I just got a new LG OLED 4K TV and 1080p games now look ugly and are barely playable, while less than 1080p (like Switch games) suffer so badly from terrible image quality that they are unplayable.

I knew there was little to no chance of getting an enhanced model given that the Switch is barely a year old.

Nevertheless, if Nintendo decides to make an enhanced console, that foregoes the handheld component (likely since it would need much more cooling and power) I'll definitely consider coming on board.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Wall Street seems to be giving it a C at best.

That's what you get when you're talking about Smash for 30 min during E3 Direct (!!!!) and not showing / announcing huge new first-party games / system sellers for players to look forward to in the future. Well fuckin' done.

Last edited:

DonF

Imagine if January and March directs didn't exist and all those announcement went to the e3 direct... This direct was utter shit, it should have been a separate, smash only direct.

Roitorb

I think the problem was they didn’t have anything new. We knew about everything they showed. Would of been better if we hadn’t seen it all before.

ar0s

I gave it a D. Some decent stuff coming but terrible show. Why not save the good surprise for the end instead of the beginning? o_O

As someone said earlier in the thread, for the 3DS studios - the Switch is their first HD development. Remember the problems at the start of Wii U? The problems when PS360 came out for all western studios?

I imagine next year is going to be a chunky and quality lineup when everything (secretly) delayed from this year finally comes out.

It's sad but moving from non-HD (especially the utter garbage 3DS) to Switch is difficult and I would bet a lot of money that 3 - 5 first party 2018 games have been pushed back.

Andyliini

Nintendo Treehouse Live continues now. They promised to show Super Mario Party and Xenoblade 2's Torna DLC. But of course they will begin with yet another segment of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

I will be updating this thread for today, so you can follow which games are being shown.

Andyliini

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is next. I made a mistake in my last post, as they are not showing the story DLC, but a Battle Mode instead.

Edit: Well, that was a pleasant surprise...

Last edited:

Andyliini

Up next, Super Mario Party. First in-depth look into the game. Curious to see what they have cooked up.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I think the problem was they didn’t have anything new. We knew about everything they showed. Would of been better if we hadn’t seen it all before.

Pretty much this.

If there were no leaks and Fortnite/Paladians/DragonballZ were surprises it would of been a lot bigger. But since everyone knew about these it was like ho hum.

And Nintendo said it was going to be 2018 games, but they did throw out 2 little 2019 surprises but no one should of expected 2019 games.

Smash is their biggest game with a huge dedicated fan base. I don't see the problem with focusing on that game to communicate that there are a ton of differences and improvements.

The bigger problem was they needed something to end it after smash. Even if MP4 wasn't ready they should of shown a CGI teaser or something to end the conference on a high note.

Go watch the little 2018 sizzle reel and you will see there is a ton of software to keep you busy for 2018. Its just a bit disapointing that nintendo didn't bring a little extra heat for 2018 and its down to Aces/Smash/Pokemon/Mario Party. They really needed 1 or 2 more titles there.

Andyliini

More Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on Treehouse next. They are showing characters who have not appeared in the series for a while.

Haven't watched any of the conferences so judging just by content I'd give it D. I really want to buy switch but I think I can wait at least till Fire Emblem.

Top Bottom