• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Switch version of Fortnite is cross-play with all systems...except PS4

Codes 208

Source from Gamespot. The twitter link is in the article as well.

Fortnite launched for Nintendo Switch today, and now we've learned a little more about its features. The game supports cross-play with the Xbox One, PC, and mobile versions, Epic's Nick Chester confirmed on Twitter following the game's announcement at Nintendo's E3 2018 briefing.

The only major platform left out of the cross-play action is PlayStation 4. This is likely due to Microsoft and Sony not being able to come to terms on a cross-play deal.

Back in March, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said he wants to see cross-play added between the Xbox One and PS4 versions, while developer Epic agrees.

When Epic announced cross-play support between Fortnite's Xbox One, PC, and mobile editions, the developer said any new platform would also hopefully have cross-play. You have to opt in to play against people on a different platform, which is good because mouse and keyboard controls are considered to be more responsive and accurate than a gamepad.

"With each new platform we support and every update we ship, we strive to bring Fortnite to more people, and make it easier to play together with friends," Epic said at the time. "And, as always, cross-play is opt in."
Legit shook

Added for extra (albeit vulgar so probably nsfw ranting) clarity via Jim Sterling

Last edited:

Z3M0G

This is likely due to Microsoft and Sony not being able to come to terms on a cross-play deal.

Sony must want a unilateral deal... they would take cross-play with each other platform individually, but don't want to be involved with a deal that all are involved in. They probably feel there is a special place in hell for Nintendo, who won't strike such a deal.

Last edited:
This is probably the biggest opportunity to get rid of this policy. It's the most popular game in the world right now and if enough PS4 + Switch owners raise a stink, it might finally light a fire under Sony's ass.

Microsoft used to do it with the Xbox 360, now Sony does with the PS4...
What a shameful policy.
At least the days where developers were pressured to shoo PC gamers away for console version online are behind us.
Even Nintendo opened up to connectivity with smartphones to my surprise.

Last edited:

theHFIC

I get Sony wanting to hog the court to themselves when it comes to crossplay, but it is extremely stupid now in 2018.

the real kicker is that if you've linked your PSN account to your Epic Games account, you can't use that Epic Games account on Switch Fortnite so you have to create an all new account so any progress you have or any types of skins you unlocked or purchased would have to be restarted from scratch. This is just plain dumb and seems to fall more on how Epic implements it's Epic Games account since it is supposed to be universal. Unlinking your PSN account from your Epic account won't resolve the issue either.

Codes 208

I get Sony wanting to hog the court to themselves when it comes to crossplay, but it is extremely stupid now in 2018.

the real kicker is that if you've linked your PSN account to your Epic Games account, you can't use that Epic Games account on Switch Fortnite so you have to create an all new account so any progress you have or any types of skins you unlocked or purchased would have to be restarted from scratch. This is just plain dumb and seems to fall more on how Epic implements it's Epic Games account since it is supposed to be universal. Unlinking your PSN account from your Epic account won't resolve the issue either.
This is the biggest shame. Coming from xbox and pc to sony, i was livid when i realized i couldnr connect my acco7nt because my xbox was already linked. I didnt want to pqy for another season or lose all my shit so i uninstalled and now continue to play on xbox for forrnite.

MastAndo

Gold Member
What nonsense. They're also the reason there isn't cross-saves in Destiny 2. I know the game is hot trash to most of you, but I'd definitely jump back in if I could transfer my character over from PS4 to the PC.

FStubbs

They're the kings of the hill right now and they make moves like this because they can. Their opinion is if you want to play against PS4 Fortnite players, buy a PS4 - or at least the PS4 version of Fortnite because they've sold close to 100 million PS4s so you probably have one.

Codes 208

They're the kings of the hill right now and they make moves like this because they can. Their opinion is if you want to play against PS4 Fortnite players, buy a PS4 - or at least the PS4 version of Fortnite because they've sold close to 100 million PS4s so you probably have one.
Thats a pitiful reason and a shitty bahavior and does nothing but limit options for their fans.

Theyre being dicks just to be dicks is what im reading with that. And ever since the minecraft fiasco, they havent given a good excuse as to why.

Rocket League. Minecraft. Fortnite. These are all huge games, and Sony is just sticking to their guns and won’t play ball. This stance sucks.

oagboghi2

Their is zero reason for Sony to do this because of their market position. No different than MS last generation.

An does anyone honestly care. Do people have a hard time finding matches over PSN?

Meh3D

Sucks but that is not stopping people from making Sony come out on top (of Xbox.) There have been plenty of criticism over Sony’s decisions but none have materialized into anything that impacts the Playstation brand in terms of money. (As far as I know anyway.)

Certainly doesn’t stop certain individuals from pounding their chest and proclaiming Sony superior in certain threads. :p

Last edited:
An does anyone honestly care. Do people have a hard time finding matches over PSN?

It would simply be convenient - I wouldn’t want to have to tell friends who are playing on PC, Switch, or Xbox that they need to buy a PS4 if they want to play with me. I’m always surprised how many people here seem to think that this isn’t a shitty thing of Sony since Sony is in the lead this gen. It’s simply a shitty practice.

Luckily I play on all three consoles and PC. I can honestly say though that their insistence on this policy means that all of my multiplat multiplayer games will be played elsewhere, and I will not purchase any of these multiplat multiplayer games on PS4.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Why on earth would console owners want to crossplay with PC gamers? Won't that give PC gamers significant advantage due to the fast aiming with the mouse?

tkscz

Their is zero reason for Sony to do this because of their market position. No different than MS last generation.

My cousin and friends have the PS4 version and I have the Switch version and because I can't afford just going out and getting a PS4, we can't play together.

Why on earth would console owners want to crossplay with PC gamers? Won't that give PC gamers significant advantage due to the fast aiming with the mouse?

I only played Fortnite for a few days, but I won one or two solo games using a Xbox One Controller on PC. As long as I found good loot I had no problems using a controller.

Texas Pride

Banned
Business decisions aren't often understood by gamers. Sony is doing what's best for Sony as any business would. Right now they don't think it's in their best interest. Last gen MS didn't either. At least keep the outrage consistent if you're gonna outrage. Free to play games don't require a PS Plus sub to play on PS4 yet MS requires you to pay to play FTP games. Where's the outrage? Be consistent or i don't buy the fake outrage.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Business decisions aren't often understood by gamers. Sony is doing what's best for Sony as any business would. Right now they don't think it's in their best interest. Last gen MS didn't either. At least keep the outrage consistent if you're gonna outrage. Free to play games don't require a PS Plus sub to play on PS4 yet MS requires you to pay to play FTP games. Where's the outrage? Be consistent or i don't buy the fake outrage.

Why does this have anything to do with Sony’s present stance on crossplay? How do you know people weren’t mad last gen about MS not doing crossplay? Furthermore, how do you know Sony wasn’t also the holdout last gen?

If you want consistency, you can find it in Sony’s consistent refusal to implement a feature that everyone who owns their hardware would benefit from.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not surprising, Sony hates cross platform of any kind.

NickFire

I’m not the least surprised either. But my kids and I are very disappointed seeing how we own one switch and two ps4s. I really hoped Sony was going to put its families that own multiple consoles first this time. They did not and I will remember this very well when deciding what system to invest in next generation.

jadedm17

Not a good look for sony, i don't get it.

2 Playstations are sold to every 1 Xbox: 70 mil to 35 mil last I checked.

As a business what do they gain with crossplay? Makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't get why they would offer crossplay. I want it but I understand why Sony doesn't offer it. $$$$

Codes 208

2 Playstations are sold to every 1 Xbox: 70 mil to 35 mil last I checked.

As a business what do they gain with crossplay? Makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't get why they would offer crossplay. I want it but I understand why Sony doesn't offer it. $$$$
What do they lose with crossplay? Its not exactly something they need to bring in resources to do, the devs of rocket league even said they could turn it on with the flip of the switch, all they need is their permission and theyve been very adament about it.

So what exactly is there to lose? Virtually Nothing. People being able to play with other players on another system isnt going to make them say "oh man i wish i had that system"

Whats the gain? The respect of the devs who want to unify their fanbase and the fans who want to play with their friends on other systems. Hell, its already there, sony is open crossplay with pc, but god forbid they give us a chance to play with those filthy xbox and nintendo peasants

jadedm17

What does Sony lose? A box on a checklist of reasons to own a PS4. Why buy a PS4 if you can already play with an Xbox friend? Console exclusivity rides on what you offer that the competition doesnt, and removing a reason to buy your system when you're outselling the competition is insane: Seriously, from a consumer and monetary point what do they gain? Respect isn't money.

This isn't about resources to implement, this is about how much they'll gain versus how much they'll lose; Personally, from a business perspective as the market leader, I'm with Sony in the belief they'd lose far more than they'd gain. Again : 2 to 1 sales over Xbox.

I'm a multiplayer gamer who fully believes the bigger the playerbase the more even, challenging and fun every match can be, so I'd love crossplay I just understand why we don't have it.

Why does this have anything to do with Sony’s present stance on crossplay? How do you know people weren’t mad last gen about MS not doing crossplay? Furthermore, how do you know Sony wasn’t also the holdout last gen?

If you want consistency, you can find it in Sony’s consistent refusal to implement a feature that everyone who owns their hardware would benefit from.

Yea.... except Sony

Great job ignoring the other valid point in that comment.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Yea.... except Sony

I don’t understand what you mean by this.

I also don’t know what “other” valid point you’re talking about, because that post had zero of them.

Do you mean the fact that Sony doesn’t require you to pay for a PS+ sub to play F2P games online? Because, while that’s all well and good, it’s not relevant to the discussion at hand. If they offered crossplay to people who are paying for Plus then maybe it’d be worth bringing up, but they don’t even do that.

And Nintendo’s still not charging for online at all.

Last edited:

Moneal

There is a simple reason sony doesn't want this. Say you have a xbox 1x and a ps4 for exclusives. your buddy just has a ps4 and you are both getting BF5. you now have a decision to make on which platform to you choose to get bf5. you could get it on the 1x and have the best graphics or the ps4 to play with your buddy. if there were crossplay there isn't really a decision, you would get it where it looks and plays best 1x. In this scenario with crossplay there is at least a potential for you to buy the game on ps4, and sony getting a cut of that sale. without crossplay that potential disappears. Sony gains nothing from having crossplay and potentially loses sales with it. its an easy business decision to make.

NickFire

What does Sony lose? A box on a checklist of reasons to own a PS4. Why buy a PS4 if you can already play with an Xbox friend? Console exclusivity rides on what you offer that the competition doesnt, and removing a reason to buy your system when you're outselling the competition is insane: Seriously, from a consumer and monetary point what do they gain? Respect isn't money.

This isn't about resources to implement, this is about how much they'll gain versus how much they'll lose; Personally, from a business perspective as the market leader, I'm with Sony in the belief they'd lose far more than they'd gain. Again : 2 to 1 sales over Xbox.

I'm a multiplayer gamer who fully believes the bigger the playerbase the more even, challenging and fun every match can be, so I'd love crossplay I just understand why we don't have it.

Yea.... except Sony

Nothing you said is wrong. But this still rubs me wrong because I just don’t see Switch as a legit competitor to PS4. I’m biased due to how my house works, but we use switch to complement the ps4s we have, 2 actually. I’ve got to believe there are many families like mine due to popularity of game across age brackets, and this seems to hurt consumers way more than it costs Sony. If this were limited to Xbox I wouldn’t bat an eye really.

Roitorb

Nothing you said is wrong. But this still rubs me wrong because I just don’t see Switch as a legit competitor to PS4. I’m biased due to how my house works, but we use switch to complement the ps4s we have, 2 actually. I’ve got to believe there are many families like mine due to popularity of game across age brackets, and this seems to hurt consumers way more than it costs Sony. If this were limited to Xbox I wouldn’t bat an eye really.
It’s true it really is great for families I have 3 xboxes all complimented by one gold account. Having cross play now let’s me play on the switch why my boys play on their xboxes.

Hage Kamo

After playing the PS4 version you can not play the switch version

Example: Create account with switch → Play PS4 version with that account → You can not play with switch version

problem:
Switch and PS4 can not play together ← understandable
Playing on PS4 version with switch or PC account makes it impossible to play with switch ← ridiculous

Once you go through PSN you can not go back to switch even if you cancel PSN, obviously you will not be charged
3AOIkOm.jpg

This fortnite account is tied to a game machine account of a policy that does not allow you to play with the Nintendo switch. You can change it with the fortnite website, or player support. In order to play with the Nintendo switch please create a new account.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
After playing the PS4 version you can not play the switch version

Example: Create account with switch → Play PS4 version with that account → You can not play with switch version

problem:
Switch and PS4 can not play together ← understandable
Playing on PS4 version with switch or PC account makes it impossible to play with switch ← ridiculous

Once you go through PSN you can not go back to switch even if you cancel PSN, obviously you will not be charged
3AOIkOm.jpg

This fortnite account is tied to a game machine account of a policy that does not allow you to play with the Nintendo switch. You can change it with the fortnite website, or player support. In order to play with the Nintendo switch please create a new account.
Maybe it's a Sony problem. They forbid or something like that PSN accounts to be mixed with other plataforms accounts.

It's a bad and dumb thing.

Last edited:
A friend of mine who's big into fortnite (plays on pc) can't use his account on his switch, because he logged into fortnite on a friends ps4 one night and its apparently now a ps4/PC only account.

Sony needs to be nuked from orbit. It's the only way to make sure this doesn't happen again. /aliens reference

He's invested big money into his account and hundreds of hours. He really wanted to play it on the go. Sony says no.

Walled gardens...not even once. I would lead the charge, besiege that shit and tear down those walls, slaughtering everyone inside. Weather Sony or Oculus, it's only fair to burn it all down. Thankfully we can hack oculus exclusives to work on our vives, but this Sony problem is a more difficult one to solve.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not a good look for sony, i don't get it.

Not really. It looks anti consumer as hell for anyone not playing on PlayStation 4, but there's a core of PS4 players that doesn't really care.

And it won't change a thing, cus Sony is on an unstoppable moneytrain with the PlayStation 4.

Codes 208

"Sony, you dumb fucks"

This happened to me in reverse. After playing two seasons and unlocking a bunch of shit, I wanted my progress to transfer to my ps4 alongside my pc and xbox. But nope. I found out you can have pc and ps4 but not pc/ps4/xbox or ps4/xbox so I had to make a separate email account just to make an Epic account via psn.

But surprise! I downloaded the switch version and almost by magic all of my stuff from my xbox transferred over

EDIT: I also added that video to the OP.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
This happened to me in reverse. After playing two seasons and unlocking a bunch of shit, I wanted my progress to transfer to my ps4 alongside my pc and xbox. But nope. I found out you can have pc and ps4 but not pc/ps4/xbox or ps4/xbox so I had to make a separate email account just to make an Epic account via psn.

But surprise! I downloaded the switch version and almost by magic all of my stuff from my xbox transferred over

EDIT: I also added that video to the OP.
I'm casual player on the PS4, but I started the download on my Switch as soon as I could, and then I saw this thing and then I was sad. I will create a new account and goodbye Fortnite for PS4.

JCK75

Microsoft fell from Grace for being unwilling to bend on quite a number of things. Sony took the crown and then doubled down on the ignorant behavior that lead many away from MS in the first place.

Not able to crossplay with other consoles: Not a big deal

Not able to have progression shared across other consoles: Yeah, that is a bit of an issue. Maybe they'll change their stance on both issues with PS5

But Sony won't do a damn thing cause they're at the top. Nor should they. Fuck the competitors. And Epic won't do shit cause they love making lots of money with this game.

Toe-Knee

Not able to crossplay with other consoles: Not a big deal

Not able to have progression shared across other consoles: Yeah, that is a bit of an issue. Maybe they'll change their stance on both issues with PS5

But Sony won't do a damn thing cause they're at the top. Nor should they. Fuck the competitors. And Epic won't do shit cause they love making lots of money with this game.
Yup.

Exactly why would they risk one of their bigger player bases.

Top Bottom