• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Switch version of Fortnite is cross-play with all systems...except PS4

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
For everyone blaming Sony (and yes they share the blame), Epic are the ones who had to agree to and implement this nonsense of locking PS players out of other consoles.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Not true. The ps4 currently has more crossplay enabled games than xbox and switch.

The weird thing here is that dragon quest is cross play between ps4 and switch in Japan.
...With the Vita not other consoles that aren't Sony. Keep up.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
kinda funny the odd comment in here thats Anti Microsoft, this is all Sonys doing and not "for the gamers". let hope they change there stance at some point

MaulerX

They're the kings of the hill right now and they make moves like this because they can. Their opinion is if you want to play against PS4 Fortnite players, buy a PS4 - or at least the PS4 version of Fortnite because they've sold close to 100 million PS4s so you probably have one.

Being kings of the hill is not a valid excuse to treat their fans this way. They should be making decisions that keep their fanbase happy. Not give them reasons to look elsewhere.

Microsoft used to do it with the Xbox 360, now Sony does with the PS4...
What a shameful policy.
At least the days where developers were pressured to shoo PC gamers away for console version online are behind us.
Even Nintendo opened up to connectivity with smartphones to my surprise.

There are two issues at hand here:

1- No cross-play
2-Sony is literally hijacking your Epic account so that you can't use it on other devices.

While it's true that MS didn't allow cross-play on 360, to my recollection they never took a third party account hostage like this. We already knew Sony wasn't
allowing cross-play but this new development where you can't use a third party account on another device is downright criminal.

Last edited:
Maybe you can't read. Epic had to agree to implement this. They could have told Sony to fuck off.

But then Epic possibly would have not been able to have Fortnite on PS4? Sony should fuck off for even putting Epic in that situation.

Last edited:

Blam

Maybe you can't read. Epic had to agree to implement this. They could have told Sony to fuck off.
And they wouldn't have their game on the larger console.

Surely they wouldn't do that. This is also literally a switch on their backend. They can change this at will but can't because of Sony.

Sony is honestly looking worse and worse because crossplay is a much bigger part of multiplayer games now.

Which tbh is large. Xbox maybe denied a handful of games. Sony is really racking up games that are not able to be crossplayed with other consoles.

Sony seems to treat everyone like shit. I wonder how Sony would be if they just dropped Fortnite support. Like Minecraft not getting the latest updates now on the PS4.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They could have told Sony to fuck off.
That is not how things work at all. Again google to all the companies that tried to do this before Sony stopped them. My favorite was a glitch that allowed cross plat and Sony made the devs patch the game cause it would hurt the "Sony ecosystem".

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
But then Epic possibly would have not been able to have Fortnite on PS4? Sony should fuck off for even putting Epic in that situation.
And they wouldn't have their game on the larger console.

Surely they wouldn't do that. This is also literally a switch on their backend. They can change this at will but can't because of Sony.

Sony is honestly looking worse and worse because crossplay is a much bigger part of multiplayer games now.

Which tbh is large. Xbox maybe denied a handful of games. Sony is really racking up games that are not able to be crossplayed with other consoles.

Sony seems to treat everyone like shit. I wonder how Sony would be if they just dropped Fortnite support. Like Minecraft not getting the latest updates now on the PS4.
That is not how things work at all. Again google to all the companies that tried to do this before Sony stopped them. My favorite was a glitch that allowed cross plat and Sony made the devs patch the game cause it would hurt the "Sony ecosystem".
I think Fortnite is big enough that Epic should have some leverage with Sony. Problem is they likely signed a contract. I just can't help but put some of the blame on Epic.

NahaNago

I think Fortnite is big enough that Epic should have some leverage with Sony. Problem is they likely signed a contract. I just can't help but put some of the blame on Epic.

you could then say the same for gta online, minecraft, call of duty, fifa, and every publisher of a hit online game. This is all Sony. I don't blame them since this is a business and why would you willingly just help out the competition like that but I do think that Sony needs to step up their game if a massive player base is the biggest reason folks would just rather play on a Sony console.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I think anybody thinking Sony would allow any non Sony machine to play with each other is deluded considering their past history. This is the same company that doesn't let you change your username because of asinine reasons.

Blam

Yeah how does a massive game like fortnite not have any speaking power.

Sony said:
We're always open to hearing what the PlayStation community is interested in to enhance their gaming experience.

With... more than 80 million monthly active users on PlayStation Network, we've built a huge community of gamers who can play together on Fortnite and all online titles.

In other words, shut up and play with other PSN players. We don’t care. We’re open to hearing from our customers, but just like with Minecraft and Rocket League, we don’t give a shit. You love us, we’re winning, and most of you will keep supporting us.

Iced Arcade

Will take a large game with a lot of balls to make Sony move on this topic.

Like Rockstar saying "this is the requirements for the next GTA installment for it to be on your platform"

Literally only way I see them budging.

MaulerX

Sony faces growing Fortnite backlash at E3
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44477524

From the article:

"Gamers have discovered that if they had first played the title on a PlayStation console, they are unable to use the same Fortnite account with the newly released Nintendo Switch edition."

This is where the backlash is coming from. It's bad enough that Sony is not offering cross-play. But it is also seemingly infecting your Epic account so that it can't be used anywhere else. That is on a whole new level of fuckery right there.

WaterAstro

From the article:

"Gamers have discovered that if they had first played the title on a PlayStation console, they are unable to use the same Fortnite account with the newly released Nintendo Switch edition."

This is where the backlash is coming from. It's bad enough that Sony is not offering cross-play. But it is also seemingly infecting your Epic account so that it can't be used anywhere else. That is on a whole new level of fuckery right there.
From what you are saying, it's definitely not Sony's fault. You log into the Epic games account on PlayStation. Everything is on Epic Games side.

MaulerX

From what you are saying, it's definitely not Sony's fault. You log into the Epic games account on PlayStation. Everything is on Epic Games side.

It IS their fault. How can you not see it? This ONLY happens when you link your account with PS4. It doesn't happen when you link your account with XBL or whatever. Basically, once linked to PS4, Sony is pretty much literally infecting that account.

WaterAstro

It IS their fault. How can you not see it? This ONLY happens when you link your account with PS4. It doesn't happen when you link your account with XBL or whatever. Basically, once linked to PS4, Sony is pretty much literally infecting that account.
Uuuuh no. "Infecting" is not happening. Epic owns the servers and account, not Sony. Sony cannot fix Fortnite's account system for Epic.

MaulerX

Uuuuh no. "Infecting" is not happening. Epic owns the servers and account, not Sony. Sony cannot fix Fortnite's account system for Epic.

Oh boy.... You really don't get what's going on here do you. You should see the video in the OP. People are legit outraged for a reason.

WaterAstro

Oh boy.... You really don't get what's going on here do you. You should see the video in the OP. People are legit outraged for a reason.
No, it's everyone who is outraged that doesn't get it. Learn the technicalities of how third party account systems work with consoles before making wild claims.

If it's something wrong with the Fortnite account, it's Epic's responsibility to fix it.

TimFL

No, it's everyone who is outraged that doesn't get it. Learn the technicalities of how third party account systems work with consoles before making wild claims.

If it's something wrong with the Fortnite account, it's Epic's responsibility to fix it.
What he is saying is that Sony forbids Epic from allowing the use of the Epic account on competing platforms or they probably pull the game from PS4. Yes it‘s Epics account system, yes they can fix it IF Sony gives them the greenlight. I imagine there is a contract in place that prevents Epic from doing just that.

Pallas

Gold Member
2 Playstations are sold to every 1 Xbox: 70 mil to 35 mil last I checked.

As a business what do they gain with crossplay? Makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't get why they would offer crossplay. I want it but I understand why Sony doesn't offer it. $$$$

It’s easy to dictate terms when you are the leader but a new generation is approaching and if Sony continues with these anti-consumer policies it could turn back around and bite them in the ass. You want to make your base happy, barring them from playing with families, friends, strangers across ecosystems is a step in the wrong direction.

They need to see in the future, Microsoft are making the right moves and by extension so is Nintendo. Sony continues isolating itself, that base may chip away slowly and no matter how you want to see it from Sony’s POV, the move is at its base anti consumer.

You could argue that the other two are doing this because they have smaller bases and that Microsoft did it with FFXIV which was bad as well, difference though is that Fortnite is arguably the biggest/most popular game in the world.

Pallas

Gold Member

Sony recently made a statement about it, doesn’t really solve anything but I doubt it’s in Epic’s end since the other consoles are able to freely cross play with one another. It appears that any account used to play Fortnite on the PS4 can’t be used on rival consoles.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...e-nintendo-switch-block-sony-response-comment

Lanrutcon

Well, amazed nobody internal to those companies didn't see this coming and try to get some damage control going.

MrDanGuy

Microsoft used to do it with the Xbox 360, now Sony does with the PS4...
What a shameful policy.
At least the days where developers were pressured to shoo PC gamers away for console version online are behind us.
Even Nintendo opened up to connectivity with smartphones to my surprise.

I never understood the “Xbox did it” argument. PlayStation online infrastructure was not near the quality of Xbox Live plus they had many security problems. If I was MS at that time I would be looking at quality and control as a problem, and not necessarily competition.

Isurus

As a business what do they gain with crossplay? Makes complete sense to me, I wouldn't get why they would offer crossplay. I want it but I understand why Sony doesn't offer it. $$$$

It's short sighted and is a sign that they aren't customer focused. Any good product manager knows that you have to focus on the customer. Lack of doing so is typically a way to alienate and lose your customer base. Regardless, cross-play is less of an issue than the Epic account locking.

I don't understand how people can log into something from a friend's console.
How can that possibly be secure?

Oh, well, back to debugging Meltdown/Specter bugs.

tkscz

Except they can't. The message you get when trying to log into the Epic account on the Switch straight up tells you that EPIC CANNOT FIX THIS! It's a contractual agreement that this happens and there is nothing Epic can do about it. Only Sony can give the go ahead. You can say Epic should've read the contract closely but they probably read every part of it before agreeing to it. Notice this issue could've been spotted for a long time, but not many people own both a PS4 and an XB1, which would mean Epic probably didn't see an issue in this happening. And even if someone did own both, they wouldn't have much of a reason to switch between the consoles. However it's different when a lot of people own a Switch and PS4 and want Fortnite on the go while not wanting to use a touch screen to control. This issue is now noticeable and is on Sony's head as it's their contract.

tkscz

Member when Microsoft blocked crossplay, No outrage at all

https://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-th...60-but-you-wont/amp?__twitter_impression=true

but now sony is blocking there is an outrage....

At this point people were used to Sony doing it. It's the fact that they can't get any of their gear and progression to transfer from the PS4 to the Switch because Sony doesn't allow it that is bothering everyone. This would not be this big if Sony blocked crossplay but not the account transfer.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You do know Fortnite HAD cross platform as a glitch a back in September and Epic disabled it before Sony stepped in right? (just like when the rocketleague guys asked sony) I remember MS used to be the same stance until their sales tanked this gen.

Last edited by a moderator:

MaulerX

Member when Microsoft blocked crossplay, No outrage at all

https://kotaku.com/5813740/i-saw-th...60-but-you-wont/amp?__twitter_impression=true

but now sony is blocking there is an outrage....

This is not about cross-play though. We already knew Sony wasn't allowing cross-play. That's not what the outrage is about. It's about holding your account hostage and all the money you've spent on items etc... won't carry over. Holding a third party account hostage from being used on another system is on a whole new level of draconian policies the like of which we've never seen before.

This is not about cross-play though. We already knew Sony wasn't allowing cross-play. That's not what the outrage is about. It's about holding your account hostage and all the money you've spent on items etc... won't carry over. Holding a third party account hostage from being used on another system is on a whole new level of draconian policies the like of which we've never seen before.

how can sony hold a third party account hostage, surely epic have control over it

tkscz

how can sony hold a third party account hostage, surely epic have control over it

Not if Sony holds the agreement that, to even have it on the PS4, they cannot allow any PSN account connected Epic accounts to cross. Again, when players get the error on their Switch, they are told that neither Nintendo nor Epic can do anything about it.

Not if Sony holds the agreement that, to even have it on the PS4, they cannot allow any PSN account connected Epic accounts to cross. Again, when players get the error on their Switch, they are told that neither Nintendo nor Epic can do anything about it.

so epic agreed to this yt it's sony's fault...

epic could of said no and blocked fortnight on PS4 until sony agrees to the same terms as nintendo or M$..........

tkscz

so epic agreed to this yt it's sony's fault...

epic could of said no and blocked fortnight on PS4 until sony agrees to the same terms as nintendo or M$..........

I can see a few reasons, but they pretty much come down to bad foresight. Though with a 79 million person install base, I don't think Epic was in a position to make demands.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
Sony really gotta get their shit together with this nonsense... Everyone wants cross play... give people what they want and they will spend more money...

infernogott

Neo Member
There are a few cases, where Sony would profit from Cross Platform. If your friends only have Xbox and you have PS and Xbox and a cross platform game has better performance on PS, you could get it on PS to play with your Xbox friends, but since Sony blocks it, you have to get the Xbox version.

MaulerX

Well, that's exactly what they're doing and they're not denying it either. It's a Sony policy that Epic had to agree with in order to publish their game on the store. Doesn't mean Epic agrees with it. They probably didn't know this game was going to become the next coming of Christ. But now that the game is huge and being released on every console that policy is now haunting Epic and all of their customers. The ball is in Sony's court and they need to rescind that ridiculous policy.

tkscz

Fascinating that it's gone that mainstream. Sony is of course not actually answering the question, counting on most readers to muddle up blocking cross play (which is not news) with blocking cross migration (which is the real pain point).

Reggie already said that Fortnite has passed 2 million downloads in 24 hours. I'm not surprised at all at how big this got.

They aren't wild claims. Sony is the only platform holder that isn't allowing cross migration of Fortnite accounts. That is a fact. No other platform holder is doing this.

Drewpee

Banned

This is exactly why I laugh when people try to sing the virtues of Sony. On one hand people will argue that they care about their players and are a "human" company while on the other hand throwing this out whenever cross play is mentioned. Sony only cares about one thing and that is most definitely not the players. Decisions like this and not allowing EA Access on the console prove that.

Top Bottom