• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3] Should we presume E3 “no-shows” are next generation titles?

Solo Act

First off, this thread is in no way meant to overlook the great games that we saw in the conferences this E3. Just Cause, Forza Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, and plenty more look amazing.

That said, there were rumored games I was really hoping to see that didn’t show up: Splinter Cell, the new Rocksteady game, Square’s Avengers game, Final Fantasy VII. Even games that showed up with CG trailers seem to be next, or at the very least, cross-generation titles: Halo Infinite, Cyberpunk (not CG), Starfield, Elder Scrolls VI.

So what do you all think? Should we assume that these titles are being saved for new console reveals, or were they simply not ready to show yet?

Last edited:
Halo Infinite is current gen. Already confirmed.
Really? I hadn't heard that yet. I just assumed it was cross-gen. Makes the most the sense in my mind. Launch title for Xbox Scarlet while still releasing on the Xbox One. If Halo Infinite is current gen, then I think that all but confirms the next xbox console won't be until 2020 at the earliest.

Battletoads seems like a good game to push to next gen, unless it has been silently worked on for some time without our knowing.

Solo Act

Really? I hadn't heard that yet. I just assumed it was cross-gen. Makes the most the sense in my mind. Launch title for Xbox Scarlet while still releasing on the Xbox One. If Halo Infinite is current gen, then I think that all but confirms the next xbox console won't be until 2020 at the earliest.

Battletoads seems like a good game to push to next gen, unless it has been silently worked on for some time without our knowing.
I felt the same way about Halo Infinite. The trailer was "in engine" and showed zero gameplay. With gears 5 set for 2019, I earmarked Halo Infinite for 2020 (which is the rumored launch of next gen). For Battletoads, they said that was a 2.5D scroller, so I doubt they need the extra horsepower to meet the vision of that game. Plus, with Microsoft's great backwards compatibility, it doesn't matter when Battletoads releases. It just feels like Halo is not ready for Gen 8.

Last edited:

DonF

Microsoft is pushing for an end to classic generations, so I suspect some games with forward compatibility, and what better way to show this than with their flagship IP, halo.

I felt the same way about Halo Infinite. The trailer was "in engine" and showed zero gameplay. With gears 5 set for 2019, I earmarked Halo Infinite for 2020 (which is the rumored launch of next gen). For Battletoads, they said that was a 2.5D scroller, so I doubt they need the extra horsepower to meet the vision of that game. Plus, with Microsoft's great backwards compatibility, it doesn't matter when Battletoads releases. It just feels like Halo is not ready for Gen 8.
Agreed. Now that Microsoft has had their press conference and Halo 6 was announced, but barely shown, and being confirmed for this gen, maybe it's not entirely out of the question the game releases at the end of 2019. But if all they have finished is the game engine, they have a lot of work to do between now and then.

7he Talon

I think they can only show so many games, why bother showing games that are 3-4 years off? As much as I loved Bethesda showing Elder Scrolls VI, I thought it was weird considering it's at least 4-5 years off.

Microsoft is pushing for an end to classic generations, so I suspect some games with forward compatibility, and what better way to show this than with their flagship IP, halo.

Was just going to say this. And scaling to the different systems shouldn't be any more difficult than what is already done in terms of scaling to differing hardware requirements on PC.

Wouldn't be shocked if the next XBox console just has a number to denote it, and the S is retired in favor of the X as the "base" console going forward.

Fbh

Probably yeah.

But a part of me hopes it's actually publishers/Devs having a shift in mentality and deciding to start revealing and showing games when they are closer to release instead of 3-4 years before

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don't think that's a good assumption.

2021 seems like the absolute earliest next gen will happen with a good jump in power at a price that's not over $500.

With gamescom still coming and the Game Awards getting bigger reveals there's still plenty of time for the no shows to pop up way before next gen.

Snoopycat

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the games shown were next gen. I don't expect to see Cyberpunk, TLOU 2 or Death Stranding on current gen consoles

Makariel

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the no-shows are simply stuck in development hell. Remember Splinter Cell Conviction?

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
When you think of the fact that it takes ~3 years to make a game nowadays it wouldn't be surprising if that were the case. Launch games would have to be in development now.

Though I feel this would be more of the case with 1st party titles to showcase the new hardware. 3rd-party would have to have some reluctance of forgoing the existing gen install base to launch on a few million units on next gen hardware.

Vexed

I think there's still a good chance that things that went unannounced but were heavily rumored straddle both gens, ala some of the bigger multiplats at the start of this gen.

Biggest one I can think of are valves VR games, you think would of been there if it’s coming to consoles/PS4, like most of its major releases

Last edited:

onlyoneno1

I don't think the next gen consoles are coming in 2020. The soonest that makes sense is 2022, they just launched the pro and X and it doesn't make sense to jump generations this soon. The titles that were no show at this years's E3 are probably not ready to be shown, or they might be saving some reveals for Gamescom in August.
Most of the new titles will be made with the pro and X in mind, so for now lets just assume these games are for this gen consoles.

BANGS

Banned
No. Why has next generation talk gone wild all of the sudden?
Because Sony made casual mention that PS4 was in the latter stage of it's life cycle and fanboys went nuts thinking there was alot more wieght to that statement than there really is...

I personally don't want to see this generation end for quite some time. Still so much potential in the hardware and the push for 4k is such a waste of resources...

TannerDemoz

Nope. We should assume that more devs are gonna take ownership of no-shows by showing them off at their own conferences.

Vawn

Banned
I don't think the next gen consoles are coming in 2020. The soonest that makes sense is 2022, they just launched the pro and X and it doesn't make sense to jump generations this soon. The titles that were no show at this years's E3 are probably not ready to be shown, or they might be saving some reveals for Gamescom in August.
Most of the new titles will be made with the pro and X in mind, so for now lets just assume these games are for this gen consoles.

You're going to be in shock. They'll be here by 2020. I expect them to make a presence at E3 next year.

He'll, they were already mentioned at this E3 by Microsoft and Bethesda.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Is Sony going to skip Gamescom and PGW like they did last year?
Medievil is supposed to be a 2018 title, unless they announce it at PSX saying available now!

Remember it very very probably will be backwards compatible when the new system arrives, so it's not such a big deal for MS

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I think the idea of "next gen" is essentially dead, barring no massive leaps in graphics and processing technology. Everything will scale, much like a PC game does now. New consoles will run old games, and old consoles will just stop being supported for bleeding edge titles once they are unable to run them on lower settings.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think the idea of "next gen" is essentially dead, barring no massive leaps in graphics and processing technology. Everything will scale, much like a PC game does now. New consoles will run old games, and old consoles will just stop being supported for bleeding edge titles once they are unable to run them on lower settings.
This is exactly what I want!

manfestival

Remember when they announced Star Citizen? I think we are 2 generations away before they release that game. Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 were announced for next gen. Bethesda said it in their press conference. It does feel like we are a year or 2 away from an actual reveal of a next gen console

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
Holiday 2020 seems the earliest time as far as I can see, a 7 year life for the PS4 and Xbox One is pretty good. I can see Cyberpunk being this gem's equivalent of Watch Dogs. It will come out on these consoles, but heavily compromised, with a next-gen release coming the same time. Rocksteady's game should have been in development for too long already to be a next-gen game.

Top Bottom