• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Ghost of Tsushima

Darak

I'd like to see a Digital Foundry analysis of the 4K trailer, but it looks like a PS4 Pro. There are evidences of checkerboard rendering, although it's hard to be sure due to the video compression artifacts. It's definitively a feasible level of quality. Horizon is also a very impressive game, although things like the grass technology in particular seems to be a noticeable step up here.

SharkJT

Neo Member
I'm not quite as up-to-date as everyone else, and am wondering if enough is known about the gameplay to classify this as a Dark Souls-like death-fest, or more of a traditional game...

Bryank75

Banned
I'll make another post since I think editing the last one would be unfair.

After reading through the auction article and looking at the sword in detail, it is, after all, a tachi. A horseback specific sword with a curve greater than later swords. It specifically states that this sword sold in the auction is an original, that never did get shortened and thus retains its size and shape. I would like to see a sword from 13th century Japan which looks similar to the one from the gameplay trailer, as that one looks very narrow like uchigatana (and is worn blade up like a uchigatana as opposed to the tachi in the screenshot on the horse which is worn blade down).

You said that, in order to fight the Mongols, swords were modified for thrusting (shorter and more narrow) so that means that swords similar to uchigatana must have existed since that is what a uchigatana is (shorter and less curved). So in the end I suppose it makes sense to have them in the game.

About the over extending blows though, I think they are mostly done for effect. It looks cooler to slice some bad guy across his neck and then keep holding your sword pointing sideways at the sky, even if it is an extremely vulnerable position. Much like all the ballerina moves in Star Wars and other martial arts movies (turning 360 and other such moves).
Yes, definitely...The pose holding is film inspired. I suppose there will always have to be a balance between drama and realism in entertainment like gaming. As long as they have Japanese tap dancing during the credits like Zataoichi, I'll be happy.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm not quite as up-to-date as everyone else, and am wondering if enough is known about the gameplay to classify this as a Dark Souls-like death-fest, or more of a traditional game...
Combat is methodical and slower paced, relying on stance and reaction. From what I hear, game will have skill tree with two paths, Samurai and Ghost. Samurai focuses on traditional combat skills, while Ghost will be the stealth, alchemy and gadget path (Ninja). This could be false, but it sounds right.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
The only thing I would ask is maybe some clothing customization at the beginning because I want to look the way I want to look

EDMIX

Not without a downgrade in shadows, lighting, reflections, or foliage complexity.

What we saw today is beyond what the current gen processors can supply. Perhaps the Xbone X GPU could handle the shadows but this is almost certainly not running on PS4 hardware.

It’s either PS5 or bull shots from a PC and we can expect a downgrade.

Sure bud. All you have to do is watch footage of Horizon Zero Dawn. Nothing shown was out of the scope of what the PS4 can do. The team must be doing something right if you think it looks like a PS5 game! Great compliment to how well they crafted that game.

but sure, can't be PS4 /s

Arun1910

Does anyone else thing the animations for running and walking look... too stiff? The fighting looks slow and methodical, a welcome change, but the walking and running look so odd to me, almost like a PS2 character running style with a very short animation loop of one leg infront of the other.

Handy Fake

Does anyone else thing the animations for running and walking look... too stiff? The fighting looks slow and methodical, a welcome change, but the walking and running look so odd to me, almost like a PS2 character running style with a very short animation loop of one leg infront of the other.
It did occur to me. But then I looked at the armour they're clomping around in and I presume it would be difficult for them to skip around like Rudolf Nureyev. ;)

wagrez

Neo Member
I'm a bit sour on this. I was hoping they would take the time to a bit of research for the game, so we could get some authenticity. Looks like whoever was on point for that did a quick look on wikipedia, watched some movies, and called it a day.
yeah.. sure... you know it all right, who are Sucker Punch?

Toe-Knee

This game looks amazing.

The only niggle I have is that the leaves on the floor aren't affected by the wind which there is clearly a lot of judging by how the ones in the air are moving.

They were only affected by player movement.

I do understand however that it would be a physics nightmare making them also be affected by the wind.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm a bit sour on this. I was hoping they would take the time to a bit of research for the game, so we could get some authenticity. Looks like whoever was on point for that did a quick look on wikipedia, watched some movies, and called it a day.
The devs have talked about their main inspiration being classic samurai cinema and not historical accuracy.

WaterAstro

Anyone can help compare lip sync between Japanese and English? I think they might have even made sure the lip sync is proper for each language. I'm just focused on Masako. I swear it is, but I'm doubting myself. It's too good to be true.

Timestamped. Also another close up when Masako shoots the Monk.

Toe-Knee

this was not running on a base PS4. I agree its likely PS5, or Pro footage at 1080P to get extra power.

Compare this to Spiderman, and even TLOU and its almost night and day IMO.

I am in the camp this game is not going to run on base PS4, and if it does no way it will look that good and smooth. It will be a dynamic sub 30 frame mess.

They confirmed everything was running on the pro.

Anyone can help compare lip sync between Japanese and English? I think they might have even made sure the lip sync is proper for each language. I'm just focused on Masako. I swear it is, but I'm doubting myself. It's too good to be true.

Timestamped. Also another close up when Masako shoots the Monk.

Honesty I think the English version is better at this point. The localization here is just ok. I hope this is just quick placeholder localization and voice work just for the demo purposes.

The main character Jin sounds ok I guess. But the voice actress for Masako is haming it up a bit. Also I noticed the grunting sounds from the sword fights is the same across English and Japanese version. I don't really like that. I rather have the actual actors do all the grunting.

Also they are not speaking in any regional dialect or period specific accent. Its pretty generic modern Japanese. That makes me suspect it was just quickly translated and recorded for the purposes of the demo. I hope for the final game they put more effort into the Japanese version.

down 2 orth

yeah.. sure... you know it all right, who are Sucker Punch?

Do you think its weird that someone could be well informed on a topic? Yeah some people ridicule others with the "I'm an expert" meme, but there's no shame about being informed about something, and no reason why anyone should hide that.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/ghost-of-tsushima-will-allow-players-to-choose-between-stealth-and-combat#nnn

Sucker Punch Co-Studio Head Chris Zimmerman noted that the game will allow players to choose between stealth and combat, ultimately enabling either, or both, playstyles, so players can choose to play the game their way.

“It’s up to you, really, as a player,” Zimmerman said. “It’s an open world game, you can choose your path. The game has to work well for people with different play styles. They’re looking for different things in the game, we have to give it to them. There are people that have a pure samurai-style: where you walk into the door and say, “come at me.” And we have people that want to play pure ghost, where they don’t want anyone to see them around.”

“There are things in the game that happen, situations you find yourself in that really are steering you towards one style or the other,” Zimmerman continued. “But you definitely have a different balance from player to player. So it’s really up to you.”

WaterAstro

I love stealth, but I might like being samurai so much that I'll just combat the shit out of everyone. Honourable dueling.

Shin

Banned
For those interested in knowing more about that time period and/or place, there's a new anime called Angolmois: Genkou Kassenki
First episode was just released today, might help ease the pain while we wait for the game...if not at least you'll get to know more about 1274.

Toe-Knee

So they are gonna shit on Witcher 3 is what you're telling me
Where movement is concerned they just need to make sure the trees and foliage don't look like they're made out of rubber and all attached to the same piece of string that's being tugged on.

Shin

Banned
Isn't seeking a UI artist at this stage rather odd for a game that should be going gold sometime soon?
It's been in production since +- 2015/2016 (Scott Rohde slip up through IGN), had to bump this old thread as I'm curious.

UI Artist, Sucker Punch Productions

Sucker Punch is currently looking for a passionate UI Artist for our upcoming project. You must be capable of adapting your style to Ghost while creating and designing features. The ideal candidate will have a desire to create UI that is highly functional, easy to use, and of course beautiful to look at!

Could it be that both jobs are for planned DLC of the game?
Narrative Writer
Sucker Punch is looking for a Narrative Writer to help create engaging narrative content for our upcoming project, Ghost of Tsushima. Daily tasks will include story development, game dialogue, and general narrative contribution. The ideal candidate will have previous success as a game writer, outstanding dialogue skills, an excellent understanding of story and game structure, experience in a writers' room setting, and a passion to tell great stories in an open-world game.

Last edited:

Tbone3336

Gold Member
Isn't seeking a UI artist at this stage rather odd for a game that should be going gold sometime soon?
It's been in production since +- 2015/2016 (Scott Rohde slip up through IGN), had to bump this old thread as I'm curious.

I had the impression that this game is far off from going gold this year. I am not sure what they said for release dates or progress on game design, but I imagine 6 months of lead in advertising to start things similar to Days Gone, and we have heard nothing from this in a long time. I am expecting a 2020 release and more like mid-year if they follow a similar marketing effort time frame.

Evilms

Banned
Sekiro and Ghost Of Tsushima except the samurai theme they have nothing in common.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
After the E3 2018 gameplay trailer, im all in baby!!! Expecting an early to mid 2020 release. Can't wait!!!

Top Bottom