• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Ghost of Tsushima

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Batman Arkham Mongolia
This was the best game of Sony. Those grass effects thou... I expect downgrade, but it's ok

Darak

Interesting game, they got my purchase for sure. Combat animations were a bit weird, but I got the impression they prioritized gameplay over fluidity and I'm ok with that. A pretty honest trailer, all things considered.

HarryKS

Interesting game, they got my purchase for sure. Combat animations were a bit weird, but I got the impression they prioritized gameplay over fluidity and I'm ok with that. A pretty honest trailer, all things considered.
Looks like they went for authentic fighting style, which isn't as pretty as in movies. Short pokes, very effective.

AlexxKidd

There was definitely stealth, watch the trailer again.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Each of those three shots you showed look like they could be in-game cut scenes, and the middle one certainly is a cut scene as you can physically see the camera angles switch in the scene. If you're getting enough from that bottom scene to consider that stealth than Super Mario Brothers is a stealth game because I can also run up on enemies and attack them. From Software's game will be less Tenchu, and more Bloodborne/Dark Souls. Ghosts will be more Tenchu-esque, the first gameplay they ever showed literally has the in-game (not cut scene) conversation of,
"We can take them."
"No! Remember Sako Bridge, we strike quietly."

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
I've added some stuff to the OP to liven it up a little. :)

iu

iu

Sucker Punch said:
The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan—until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population. As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But honorable tactics won’t lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting—the way of the Ghost—as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan.

Not new but it's a interview about the game from last year so may be useful.

Ghost of Tsushima - Official Website

Raynes

Each of those three shots you showed look like they could be in-game cut scenes, and the middle one certainly is a cut scene as you can physically see the camera angles switch in the scene.

Why would they show the character being stealthy in cutscenes if it's not a stealth game? So in your head the game has various stealth cutscenes, but as soon as the stealth cutscenes are over you're supposed to take on the enemies head on? Sound stupid.

Super Mario Brothers is a stealth game because I can also run up on enemies and attack them.

That point makes zero sense. I feel stupid for having to point this out, SMB does not recognise stealth as it does not reward you for doing it or punish you for not doing it, so it is impossible to play it stealthily no matter how hard you try. I can see from the trailer that this game would reward/punish stealth.

Last edited:

JP

I wonder if we'll have the option to play through this in Japanese with subtitles? It would almost feel wrong not playing it that way for me.

nowhat

I wonder if we'll have the option to play through this in Japanese with subtitles? It would almost feel wrong not playing it that way for me.
Japanese voiceover has already been confirmed for Japan, so I see no reason why it wouldn't make it to the west too.

And agreed, it would otherwise be like watching anime dubbed *shudders *

JP

nowhat nowhat
I didn't realise that. I'd imagine there would be quiet a demand for it in the West.

I't be nice to get some decent film filters for the photo mode too, or even for the game itself once you've completed it.

nowhat nowhat
I didn't realise that. I'd imagine there would be quiet a demand for it in the West.

I't be nice to get some decent film filters for the photo mode too, or even for the game itself once you've completed it.

I think if the game has Japanese voices in the Japanese version of the game, you can just change your PS4's region to Japan and you'll get Japanese voices as well. I tried something similar once to get Overwatch with Japanese voices (which isn't a selectable option) and it was hilarious.

Kagero

People are down on the Sony conference but everything I saw I was blown away by. Ghost looks mind blowing to me.

After sleeping on it, I think It's easy to be critical about the gameplay from afar. If combat feels good then that's what matters and that is hard to convey without actually playing it.

All I mean by that is that I'd take the hopeful optimist approach rather than the sceptical "might play boring despite looking incredible" because that is where I was at after watching the reveal.

AlexxKidd

Why would they show the character being stealthy in cutscenes if it's not a stealth game? So in your head the game has various stealth cutscenes, but as soon as the stealth cutscenes are over you're supposed to take on the enemies head on? Sound stupid.

Happens all the time. Cutscenes show a lot of things in games that aren't in gameplay, including characters sleeping, shitting, dreaming, and whatever else the writer deems fit. In a cutscene =/= in gameplay. Never has, where have you been? Most games now have some element of "stealth," its just programmed into AI, if an enemy doesn't have you in their eyesight you are hidden. From cheapest indie to the biggest AAA, so then are then are all games stealth? Here is actual stealth gameplay from Final Fantasy XV:

Yet even though FFXV features actual stealth GAMEPLAY, I would still not classify the game as stealth if asked.

That point makes zero sense. I feel stupid for having to point this out, SMB does not recognise stealth as it does not reward you for doing it or punish you for not doing it, so it is impossible to play it stealthily no matter how hard you try. I can see from the trailer that this game would reward/punish stealth.

Yet I do not see much difference from what happens in Super Mario Brothers to what happens here. Again the middle video is obviously a cutscene, the bottom video is just him running up behind someone but it doesn't scream "stealth" to me, he's in no way sneaking, and that also looks like it could be a cutscene with the way the camera is panning. The closest stealth I see if the first image, here he is clearly sneaking along a wall and, unlike the bottom two scenes, the camera is not doing much dynamic panning, indicating that this could be actual gameplay and the wall-sneak could be an in-game mechanic, which wouldn't surprise me of course.

I believe the game will have obviously have "some" stealth, as I pointed out at the very least minimal stealth is in every game's AI these days, when I said the game will have "no" stealth it was in the context of the poster who compared the game to Tenchu. Not getting Tenchu vibes from Sekiro, sorry. I'm getting Bloodborne/Dark Souls vibes, but not Tenchu. And if you consider Bloodborne/Dark Souls stealth games, then more power to you.

My Tenchu vibes come from the setting, the quiet nature of the game, the more realistic sword fighting compared to Sekiro and my stealth vibes come only from the in-game conversation,
"We can take them."

I could be wrong, and Sekiro could be From Software's Metal Gear Solid and Ghosts could be Sucker Punch's Duke Nuke'em, but I'll be sticking to my opinion until further info comes from both games.

rolandss

I can’t get over the cheesy accents of the voice acting, it doesn’t match the setting. For some reason it wa really off putting.

zombrex

Really great graphics but worried about gameplay, really hoping its not Asscreed/ Arkham style.
Also not impressed by the English voice over. Really hoping for a Japanese option.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't own a PS4 but this and Spider-Man get me hyped, really cool trailers for both. Still the English voices sounded strange, so glad Ghost of Tsushima is coming with Japanese too.

BANGS

Banned
This was my most disappointing reveal last night. Combat looked like Assassin's Creed/Witcher 3 level stuff at best. Voice acting was... English. Not at all what I was hoping for, should appeal to the masses just fine though...

Kagero

to be honest the aesthetics looking absolutely stunning , the vivid flower color ,it really looked beautiful.However something seems off about it and i cant put my finger on why ?
It truly is beautiful but I find it isn't natural. It looked fantastical and supernatural but
Well to be fair, the conference was a disaster, but the games were great.
I agree. Next year should be an amazing Sony show ;)

DonF

Loved the one slash kills, feels awesome. I dislike when games do this 3 enemies take turns to attack, so I hope that was just for show...or maybe samurai/mongol honor? I dont know. It looks great and can't wait for more.

manfestival

My game of the show. Funny enough, the movements strike me as very much sucker punch and I love it. One of my favorite studios

RPGCrazied

Best thing Sony showed off at their conference besides Spiderman, Death Stranding and Last of Us II.

Last edited:

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
errr unlikely. Horizon, God Of War and many more prove that PS4 100% can pull off what you saw.

Not without a downgrade in shadows, lighting, reflections, or foliage complexity.

What we saw today is beyond what the current gen processors can supply. Perhaps the Xbone X GPU could handle the shadows but this is almost certainly not running on PS4 hardware.

It’s either PS5 or bull shots from a PC and we can expect a downgrade.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

This picture looks more period accurate than the gameplay. The armor fits the period (not sure about the horse equipment though) as well as the weapons.

The bow kind of looks like a yumi (Japanese bow) although the curve at the top is unnusual as yumi are (as far as I have seen) almost straight with two slight bends near the middle. It could have been salvaged from the Mongols though who had far superior bows which were both reflex and composite. Another reason why it doesn't have to be yumi is because they were around 2 meters long, which doesn't look to be the case here (but it could be, the perspective and lighting isn't ideal). In summary, it could be a yumi since I can't get a good look at it but it does look more like a Mongolian cavalry bow (which I do own so I can see a similarity; just for the record I don't own a yumi).

The swords here are also period accurate. The longer blade is worn blade down and has a noticeable curve indicating it is a tachi (which was the standard cavalry sword of the period), the precursor to uchigatana, which most people usually call "katana".

The stirrups look crazy though, I don't recall seeing something like that before. Guess I will have to get something regarding horse riding equipment of the era. As a horse rider myself I can say that they look pretty impractical but then again I know pretty much nothing regarding horse riding equipment of the 13th century. Maybe it was top-of-the-line back then. You see, in order to have a proper pose while riding you need to have your heel pressing down like this or this. Maybe I am not seeing it well but the stirrup looks to be an entire platform on which your entire foot sits on...the more you learn...

edit: oh wow, I actually found them, they did exist, amazing! I gotta tell my instructor next time and get her opinion on the subject. Here is even a painting of a mounter samurai using them.

Man oh man, I think this game will teach me a whole lot of new stuff about the Heian period! Which is awesome!

Just my 2 cents :)

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
This looks perfectly feasible for current gen consoles.

this was not running on a base PS4. I agree its likely PS5, or Pro footage at 1080P to get extra power.

Compare this to Spiderman, and even TLOU and its almost night and day IMO.

I am in the camp this game is not going to run on base PS4, and if it does no way it will look that good and smooth. It will be a dynamic sub 30 frame mess.

Reyziak

If you aren't a fan of Samurai cinema which this game so strongly takes its inspiration from, it's not going to be a game for you.
While I'm not a fan of Samurai cinema, the game does look good to me, so I will definitely get this game, and Sekiro.

MDSLKTR

What we saw today is beyond what the current gen processors can supply. Perhaps the Xbone X GPU could handle the shadows but this is almost certainly not running on PS4 hardware.

It’s either PS5 or bull shots from a PC and we can expect a downgrade.
Well that's one way to praise Sony's first party studios ;)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This picture looks more period accurate than the gameplay. The armor fits the period (not sure about the horse equipment though) as well as the weapons. The bow kind of looks like a yumi (Japanese bow) although the curve at the top is unnusual as yumi are (as far as I have seen) almost straight with two slight bends near the middle. It could have been salvaged from the Mongols though who had far superior bows which were both reflex and composite. Another reason why it doesn't have to be yumi is because they were around 2 meters long, which doesn't look to be the case here (but it could be, the perspective and lighting isn't ideal). In summary, it could be a yumi since I can't get a good look at it but it does look more like a Mongolian cavalry bow (which I do own so I can see a similarity; just for the record I don't own a yumi). The swords here are also period accurate. The longer blade is worn blade down and has a noticeable curve indicating it is a tachi (which was the standard cavalry sword of the period), the precursor to uchigatana, which most people usually call "katana". The stirrups look crazy though, I don't recall seeing something like that before. Guess I will have to get something regarding horse riding equipment of the era. As a horse rider myself I can say that they look pretty impractical but then again I know pretty much nothing regarding horse riding equipment of the 13th century. Maybe it was top-of-the-line back then.

Just my 2 cents :)
I think the bow is a Hankyu or half bow.

mcz117chief

I think the bow is a Hankyu or half bow.
Interesting. I haven't seen that one before. However, as I did some quick research they were quite rare (made from whale bones) and only started appearing during the Edo period, so after the Sengoku Jidai (we are talking 1600+ while the game takes place in the 13th century).

Hendrick's

Interesting. I haven't seen that one before. However, as I did some quick research they were quite rare (made from whale bones) and only started appearing during the Edo period, so after the Sengoku Jidai (we are talking 1600+ while the game takes place in the 13th century).
Yeah, the history on them is a little iffy, with some references alluding to it being what the Japanese referred to foreign bows as. So it is possible that it is a Mongol bow like you said, or it could just be artistic license. I'm not expecting SP to adhere 100% to historic accuracy. I mean, there are probly hundreds of things in that trailer alone that a scholar could poke holes in. I'm more than satisfied with what they are showing though. Much like samurai films, it's more about the overall feel than sticking to every last detail.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Yeah, the history on them is a little iffy, with some references alluding to it being what the Japanese referred to foreign bows as. So it is possible that it is a Mongol bow like you said, or it could just be artistic license. I'm not expecting SP to adhere 100% to historic accuracy. I mean, there are probly hundreds of things in that trailer alone that a scholar could poke holes in. I'm more than satisfied with what they are showing though. Much like samurai films, it's more about the overall feel than sticking to every last detail.
Aye, I agree. Although, like I said in my previous post, I like to nitpick, it gives me focus (makes me stronger) and helps me memorise the real stuff. Also, there will obviously be an absolute metric ton of new stuff I don't know about the period so I can't wait to devour it all and then filter it through history books and webs, like I did with the strange stirrups.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

to be honest the aesthetics looking absolutely stunning , the vivid flower color ,it really looked beautiful.However something seems off about it and i cant put my finger on why ?
There was some clunkyness in the movements and animations. I'm sure they will fix it before the release.

Horns

I had no interest in this game because I thought it was being developed by an eastern developer. After learning Suck Punch was behind this I am def more interested now.

Each of those three shots you showed look like they could be in-game cut scenes, and the middle one certainly is a cut scene as you can physically see the camera angles switch in the scene. If you're getting enough from that bottom scene to consider that stealth than Super Mario Brothers is a stealth game because I can also run up on enemies and attack them. From Software's game will be less Tenchu, and more Bloodborne/Dark Souls. Ghosts will be more Tenchu-esque, the first gameplay they ever showed literally has the in-game (not cut scene) conversation of,
"We can take them."

Gonna have to disagree, its quite clear that there are stealth elements in that game. Vaast even made a great video highlighting that. You can argue some are in game cut scenes, but the one where he dies to the big guy and comes back to life, crouch walks over to him and stabs from the back is evidence of some form of stealth.

Sorry for the off topic

_johnnie_

Neo Member
Sweet, I quickly googled it but asked here to be sure.

Also: the scenery at the end was mesmerizing. Now I'm pretty bummed that they didn't save if for a crucial stand off between the protagonist and another samurai; would've been a great ending fight. :)

Bryank75

Banned
The one thing that bothers me is that he is using a uchigatana at a time (13th century) when there were none. He should be wielding a tachi (worn blade down with a very noticeable curve). Also the way he over extends his attacks bothers me. As someone who has been doing kenjutsu since high school these little things bother me and at the same time disappoint me when a Japanese studio makes these mistakes. I don't really care when they make mistakes regarding proper sword fighting in Nioh, Souls, etc., but games based on history should be held to a higher standard.
In one sense you are correct, the Japanese "long sword" or uchigatana / katana didn't exist yet. However, this period depicted in the game was when samurai were at their wealthiest and most powerful and sword making was also at its height.
Swords were still made in pairs and although the longer of the two didn't meet the criteria for being a katana.... There were several reasons for this. Mongol armour was heavy and a longer sword meant a thinner sword, swordsmiths made their swords shorter and thicker to pierce the armour and remain durable to be used in several battles. The overextension you refer to may be explained as a result of the shorter blade and the fact that it is not kenjutsu .... Which is a systematized version of more modern sword combat in a controlled environment.
Stabbing motions would also have enjoyed proliferation during this period as stabbing is far more effective against armour.

The models in the game look very authentic vs the real thing. Linked here: https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/14518/

Hendrick's

. The overextension you refer to may be explained as a result of the shorter blade and the fact that it is not kenjutsu .... Which is a systematized version of more modern sword combat in a controlled environment.
Agreed, Kenjutsu was not a thing in this time period. Whatever the style is, it definitely leans heavily on Iaidō.

mcz117chief

In one sense you are correct, the Japanese "long sword" or uchigatana / katana didn't exist yet. However, this period depicted in the game was when samurai were at their wealthiest and most powerful and sword making was also at its height.
Swords were still made in pairs and although the longer of the two didn't meet the criteria for being a katana.... There were several reasons for this. Mongol armour was heavy and a longer sword meant a thinner sword, swordsmiths made their swords shorter and thicker to pierce the armour and remain durable to be used in several battles. The overextension you refer to may be explained as a result of the shorter blade and the fact that it is not kenjutsu .... Which is a systematized version of more modern sword combat in a controlled environment.
Stabbing motions would also have enjoyed proliferation during this period as stabbing is far more effective against armour.

The models in the game look very authentic vs the real thing. Linked here: https://www.bonhams.com/press_release/14518/
Awesome, thank you very much for the information :) I always lived under the illusion that Heian period swords were all curved (tachi) as it was the standard back in the day.

Agreed, Kenjutsu was not a thing in this time period. Whatever the style is, it definitely leans heavily on Iaidō.

I do Iaidó and we never over extend. All our blows end just outside the body of the target at most and then is immediately pulled back into a centre position where the sword is again ready for another attack or defence. It is tough to use a lot of force to pull and slice while also making sure not to throw your arm completely to the side but that is why we train the basics strikes and techniques regardless of how advanced you are.

You can check this old video on how we practice Iaidó. I understand that practice and real life are different and that in controlled environment it is easier.

The first kata has the widest attack (across the chest) and you can see that the blade doesn't drift to the side.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't share the same excited sentiments. On some forums I even heard about some ingenious plot already but whatever lol

I do wanted the open world game about medieval Japan, but I wanted it from Rockstar:) Well whatever.
Yeah, graphics look good but somehow it reminds me of Bloodborne and Uncharted. I am also tired of those Arkham style fights.

It seems Sony games are moving towards the same Uncharted-graphics and cinematographic style. TLOU2 looks like Uncharted 4, while Days Gone looks like TLOU1, this looks like Bloodborne, God Of War moved towards same cinematographic territory...

But it seems I cannot be mindblown by just good graphics anymore.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I'll make another post since I think editing the last one would be unfair.

After reading through the auction article and looking at the sword in detail, it is, after all, a tachi. A horseback specific sword with a curve greater than later swords. It specifically states that this sword sold in the auction is an original, that never did get shortened and thus retains its size and shape. I would like to see a sword from 13th century Japan which looks similar to the one from the gameplay trailer, as that one looks very narrow like uchigatana (and is worn blade up like a uchigatana as opposed to the tachi in the screenshot on the horse which is worn blade down).

You said that, in order to fight the Mongols, swords were modified for thrusting (shorter and more narrow) so that means that swords similar to uchigatana must have existed since that is what a uchigatana is (shorter and less curved). So in the end I suppose it makes sense to have them in the game.

About the over extending blows though, I think they are mostly done for effect. It looks cooler to slice some bad guy across his neck and then keep holding your sword pointing sideways at the sky, even if it is an extremely vulnerable position. Much like all the ballerina moves in Star Wars and other martial arts movies (turning 360 and other such moves).

Last edited:
Top Bottom