• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Marvel’s Spider-Man – E3 2018 Showcase Demo Video | PS4

Y2H

Looks good. The combat and number of villains makes it look similar to the Arkham games. Hopefully it'll be just as good if not better.

FranXico

Looks good. The combat and number of villains makes it look similar to the Arkham games. Hopefully it'll be just as good if not better.

I'm sure it will be good. I just worry that the gameplay loop will feel too derivative. Arkham Spider?

Y2H

I'm sure it will be good. I just worry that the gameplay loop will feel too derivative. Arkham Spider?
As long as Spider-Man doesn't require a car to do literally everything in the game and the swinging feels good then it shouldn't get boring.

Ka-Kui

I also got a very strong Arkham vibe from the game.

I enjoyed the demo but one nitpick was just eating away at me ever since the game was first revealed. I didn't know what it was but it hit me while watching this demo: Yuri Lowenthal's quip delivery sucks.

He sounds ok most of the time but he's missing that Spider-Man style quip delivery when he's interacting with the enemies. It's supposed to be snappy and confident, meant to irritate his foes and be a mask to the fear and doubt and his true feelings on the inside - I got none of that from his VA.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Looks really great, but I also got a heavy Arkham vibe from the combat and even the stage setting.

I’m not sure how you’d go about improving on Arkham’s combat though. If it ain’t broke...

hiphopcr

Didn't think it showed great at the Sony conference but as long as it plays as well as Spider-Man 2 a couple generations ago I may be picking up my first ever Playstation.

spiderman_2_swinging_by_digi_matrix-dbcjfjc.gif

7he Talon

I feel like the footage that they showed at the press conference didn't do it for me, but what they showed on the floor got me more excited. I'm more in it for the free roam, side mission type stuff.

Zannegan

I know it won't bother most people, but I just can't get over the way he gets lift from his swing before the web even connects, or how he turns in the right direction but the web doesn't seem to pull him. Combat looks on point, web-zipping and parkour are great, graphics are amazing, and some of the swing animations are really nice, but those little cheats in web-swinging are like uncanny valley for me. I have no idea why it bothers me so much, but it's seriously the only thing holding me back from preordering the game.

I guess I'm just weird that way. I can take any amount of ridiculous super-powers in a movie, but the moment the action crosses over into obvious wire-fu--as in running up the stair rail in Kill Bill--my suspension of disbelief just snaps. *shrug*

I'll probably cave--I love me a good Spiderman game--but I wish it was just a little closer to "physics-accurate."

I do like Insomniac's games. But I've never liked their style of taking away camera control during big events in gameplay. I prefer to keep player character and camera control at all times unless absolutely necessary.

I know Insomniac is not the only dev that does this. But I feel that they use this more liberally than others. It really frustrated me in the Resistance games. But probably because those were 1st person games. And taking away camera is super jarring. Didn't bother me as much in the R&C games. But I think that is because those are 3rd person. Still, some of the camera cuts in the Spiderman demos annoy me.

But I am hoping for the best. Its probably worth a buy just for the open world NY swinging around to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This looks good and I want to play it but why they did have to release it in September!!? Dragon Quest XI is already going to long and now also worry about Xenoblade 2 DLC and just don't there is room for Spider man.

Grinchy

Banned
It looks great but they may have shown me too much of it. It just seems so much like a Batman game, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but I'm personally tired of that formula. I'll probably end up grabbing this either way, but I might wait for a few months.

TimFL

I know it won't bother most people, but I just can't get over the way he gets lift from his swing before the web even connects, or how he turns in the right direction but the web doesn't seem to pull him. Combat looks on point, web-zipping and parkour are great, graphics are amazing, and some of the swing animations are really nice, but those little cheats in web-swinging are like uncanny valley for me. I have no idea why it bothers me so much, but it's seriously the only thing holding me back from preordering the game.

I guess I'm just weird that way. I can take any amount of ridiculous super-powers in a movie, but the moment the action crosses over into obvious wire-fu--as in running up the stair rail in Kill Bill--my suspension of disbelief just snaps. *shrug*

I'll probably cave--I love me a good Spiderman game--but I wish it was just a little closer to "physics-accurate."
The combat is the biggest offender here. The demo has several scenes where Spidey is suspended in midair for several seconds while pulling or shooting stuff with web (or chaining combos).

VulcanRaven

Looks great but I'm not sure if I like the villian designs. Scorpion could look better. I like the web-swinging.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Didn't think it showed great at the Sony conference but as long as it plays as well as Spider-Man 2 a couple generations ago I may be picking up my first ever Playstation.

spiderman_2_swinging_by_digi_matrix-dbcjfjc.gif
I thought the same. The video at Sony's conference instantly put me off the game.

Such a shame, but the combat seemed really mediocre and repetitive to me. And his running-animation was bad too.

Arun1910

I've wanted to see more gameplay for ages, but I think the show floor demo was too much. I could watch swinging forever but the fact they ruined the Shocker fight was a... shock.

I don't think I need to see anymore missions. I'll buy day 1, although I have to say that even the Sony demo was spoilery too, at least for me. Seems like that's near the start of the game.

TimFL

I've wanted to see more gameplay for ages, but I think the show floor demo was too much. I could watch swinging forever but the fact they ruined the Shocker fight was a... shock.

I don't think I need to see anymore missions. I'll buy day 1, although I have to say that even the Sony demo was spoilery too, at least for me. Seems like that's near the start of the game.
We already know how the game opens and it‘s not the Raft mission. It‘s probably really late into the game, considering they talk about Mr. Negative in there.

Zimmy68

I'm buying it first day but the more I see of the web swinging and combat, the more I see Amazing Spider-Man 1&2 which everyone seemed to hate.

Arun1910

We already know how the game opens and it‘s not the Raft mission. It‘s probably really late into the game, considering they talk about Mr. Negative in there.

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. But this seems like the start still. Right after Fisk is put away this HAS to happen otherwise there are no bad guys on the loose. Probably around the first few hours of gameplay.

Last edited:

N21

Avengers Tower is in the game:

I hope we see some of them and it isn't just some easter egg.

That's a bit weird considering Spiderman PS4 is a exclusive to the PS4 and the Avengers are multiplatform. I assume that Sony only has the right to create solo Spiderman games, but he can be used for team multiplatform games.

hiphopcr

I thought the same. The video at Sony's conference instantly put me off the game.

Such a shame, but the combat seemed really mediocre and repetitive to me. And his running-animation was bad too.
Right, the game play and animation look last gen and the game doesn't look as good as it did when they first started showing it.

Any chance Spider-Man 2 from OG Xbox goes backwards compatible? (with 4K up-res plz)

nowhat

That's a bit weird considering Spiderman PS4 is a exclusive to the PS4 and the Avengers are multiplatform. I assume that Sony only has the right to create solo Spiderman games, but he can be used for team multiplatform games.
You're looking at this from a games perspective, but from an MCU perspective it makes perfect sense. Previously Spider-Man was a Sony franchise (in movies), but starting with Civil War it seems Sony and Disney/Marvel have reached an agreement of sorts, as was evident given that Spider-Man was in Infinity War too (and that Tony Stark appeared in Homecoming).

demigod

My son is going to love this game. Does anyone know if the collector's edition were ever available for preorder? I'm sure it was at Best Buy but now I can't find it on BB, Amazon, Gamestop.

Fbh

For better or worse it looks like a Spiderman version of the Arkham Formula.
So I expect I fun main story, rather weak "activity" based side content and a city that's basically just a nice looking backdrop to get from point A to B.

Then again, as long as the main story is fun, I'm in

VulcanRaven

It could be because this is not a movie game. This is based on the comics and not MCU. The Avengers game might be set in the movie world.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

That avengers game is nowhere to be seen. Wouldn't be surprised if its canned

Zannegan

The combat is the biggest offender here. The demo has several scenes where Spidey is suspended in midair for several seconds while pulling or shooting stuff with web (or chaining combos).
True, but I think DMC, etc. have trained my brain to accept stupid combat like air juggling and super moves. I can even accept double-jumps, but, for whatever reason, it's weird swinging and flight that are a bridge too far--Anthem's flight also bothers me for not being able to build up momentum during a dive.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Here is a great video with web-swining:

The city looks huge when Spidey is on top of the Empire State Building. He starts climbing around 5:30 in the video. I'm so happy that we are finally getting a big budget Spider-Man game like this.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Gonna agree that I think the swinging looks a bit floaty and I did expect a bit more from the animations based of what Game Informer showed and wrote about. I don't think it looks last-gen as some have claimed, but it's not as impressive as I was hoping. Still, it's a triple A Spiderman game and I'll be there day one. I bought all those garbage ass Amazing Spiderman games last gen, so I don't think it'll be even close to as bad as those games were.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Gonna agree that I think the swinging looks a bit floaty and I did expect a bit more from the animations based of what Game Informer showed and wrote about. I don't think it looks last-gen as some have claimed, but it's not as impressive as I was hoping. Still, it's a triple A Spiderman game and I'll be there day one. I bought all those garbage ass Amazing Spiderman games last gen, so I don't think it'll be even close to as bad as those games were.

Last gen? Who is saying that? I'm not sold on the game yet, but in what world does this look like anything on the PS3/360?

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Last gen? Who is saying that? I'm not sold on the game yet, but in what world does this look like anything on the PS3/360?
By all means read the thread. Someone said it looks last gen. Don't agree, but I do think it doesn't look as good as I was expecting. Still gonna be a great SpiderMan game and I can't wait to play it. Gonna be Spiderman, a month later RDR2, and then a month after that F076. A good few months of games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom