• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

Aggelos

Coming out on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Running on Capcom's proprietary RE Engine.

The genre-defining masterpiece Resident Evil 2 returns, completely re-built from the ground up for a deeper narrative experience. Using Capcom’s proprietary RE Engine, Resident Evil 2 offers a fresh take on the classic survival horror saga with breathtakingly realistic visuals, heart-poundingly immersive audio, a new over-the-shoulder camera, and modernized controls on top of gameplay modes from the original game.

In Resident Evil 2, the classic action, tense exploration, and puzzle solving gameplay that defined the Resident Evil series returns. Players join rookie police officer Leon Kennedy and college student Claire Redfield, who are thrust together by a disastrous outbreak in Raccoon City that transformed its population into deadly zombies. Both Leon and Claire have their own separate playable campaigns, allowing players to see the story from both characters’ perspectives. The fate of these two fan favorite characters is in players hands as they work together to survive and get to the bottom of what is behind the terrifying attack on the city. Will they make it out alive?

Trailer shown on Sony's stage

JP version

Official page
http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohazard2/

https://www.gamersyde.com/news_e3_new_resident_evil_2_unveiled-20155_en.html

image_resident_evil_2-38531-4110_0001.jpg

image_resident_evil_2-38531-4110_0002.jpg

image_resident_evil_2-38531-4110_0003.jpg

image_resident_evil_2-38529-4110_0004.jpg

image_resident_evil_2-38529-4110_0003.jpg

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Game looks fucking nuts but I would be lying if I'd say I'm not put off by the new looks of Leon and Claire. Why the fuck is Capcom doing this? Completely revamping looks of established characters after 20 years...

That trailer did it for me. RE2 is up there for me. It is my third favorite franchise of all time and I beat it before I beat the first one believe it or not. I spent hours playing that bitch. It was like nothing before it and I'll be honest the only games that have tingled my toes in the same way since have been the Souls games.

Paracelsus

So far, not interested. Waiting to know about kerosene and crimson heads, if there's a fixed camera option, and if eventually it's actually longer than the original or if they made up for the cut content by adding RE3 campaign in between RE2.

LUXURY

I honestly don't know how I feel yet. I literally felt like I could throw up the entire show waiting. It looked nice but... the character models looked so different. Claire was also in it for like 2.5 seconds. And I'll never understand why Claire and Sherry and probably Ada's outfits were changed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
OMG, I don’t bloody belive it! What a Beauty! Pls Capcom, offer two Camera Modes.
They are:

Resident Evil 2 announced for PS4, Xbox One, and PC
posted on 06.11.18 at 09:51 PM EDT by Sal Romano (@salromano)

Return to Raccoon City.

image: https://gematsu.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/RE2_06-11-18.jpg

Capcom officially announced its Resident Evil 2 remake for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC during Sony Interactive Entertainment’s E3 2018 press conference. It will launch on January 25, 2019.
Here is an overview of the game, via Capcom:
About
The genre-defining masterpiece Resident Evil 2 returns, completely rebuilt from the ground up for a deeper narrative experience. Using Capcom’s proprietary RE Engine, Resident Evil 2 offers a fresh take on the classic survival horror saga with breathtakingly realistic visuals, heart-poundingly immersive audio, a new over-the-shoulder camera, and modernized controls on top of gameplay modes from the original game. The nightmares return reimagined for the PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Windows PC on January 25, 2019.
In Resident Evil 2, the classic action, tense exploration, and puzzle solving gameplay that defined the Resident Evil series returns. Players join rookie police officer Leon Kennedy and college student Claire Redfield, who are thrust together by a disastrous outbreak in Raccoon City that transformed its population into deadly zombies. Both Leon and Claire have their own separate playable campaigns, allowing players to see the story from both characters’ perspectives. The fate of these two fan favorite characters is in players hands as they work together to survive and get to the bottom of what is behind the terrifying attack on the city. Will they make it out alive?
Key Features
  • A spine-chilling reimagining of a horror classic – Based on the original PlayStation console release in 1998, the new game has been completely rebuilt from the ground up for a deeper narrative experience.
  • A whole new perspective – New over-the-shoulder camera mode and modernized control scheme creates a more modern take on the survival horror experience and offers players a trip down memory lane with the original gameplay modes from the 1998 release.
  • Terrifyingly realistic visuals – Built on Capcom’s proprietary RE Engine, Resident Evil 2 delivers breathtakingly photorealistic visuals in 4K whilst stunning lighting creates an up-close, intense and atmospheric experience as players roam the corridors of the Raccoon City Police Department (RPD).
  • Face the grotesque hordes – Zombies are brought to life with a horrifyingly realistic wet gore effect as they react in real time taking instant visible damage, making every bullet count.
  • Iconic series defining gameplay – Engage in frenzied combat with enemies, explore dark menacing corridors, solve puzzles to access areas and collect and use items discovered around the environment in a terrifying constant fight for survival.
  • See favorite characters in a whole new light – Join rookie police officer Leon S. Kennedy on his first day in the job and college student Claire Redfield, who is searching for her brother amidst a terrifying zombie
    epidemic.
  • Step into the rookie shoes of both heroes – Enjoy separately playable campaigns for both Leon and Claire, allowing players to see the story from both characters’ perspective.
Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/06/resident-evil-2-announced-ps4-xbox-one-pc#FZqEwEqHKVKtxmOu.99

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
I’m in the minority but I love the new looks for everyone. I’ve always hated Leon. Now he looks less “wb 1 hour drama dbag” and more like your average midwestern dbag.

It’s an upgrade. Don’t ask me why because i truly don’t know

kischine

and if eventually it's actually longer than the original or if they made up for the cut content by adding RE3 campaign in between RE2.
If I'm not mistaken they said somewhere that it will be longer than the originals, and I think it's pretty safe to assume that, since 0 and 1 had new content.

But I'm hoping for a new gameplay, I really dislike the tank controls, in 2018 that shit is unplayable and so- AAAAND it has a new control scheme so I'm in.

The trailer was good, Leon's look didn't bothered me but Claire did, but, It's Capcom, they're going to release 10 costumes for each character, so whatever.

MADGAME

I’m in the minority but I love the new looks for everyone. I’ve always hated Leon. Now he looks less “wb 1 hour drama dbag” and more like your average midwestern dbag.

It’s an upgrade. Don’t ask me why because i truly don’t know

DfdHzsdUcAAMvMn.jpg

Last edited:

dolabla

Can not wait! Seeing that first zombie and the way he looked was incredible. Definitely got them old creepy vibes.

Last edited:

Lilseb93

I'll be honest. If I didn't see this game at the conference, no matter how much I loved the other games, I would have been very disappointed.

xviper

it's amazing and all but what the fuck did they do to their faces ?? especially Claire's, they already completely ruined her face in Rev 2 but that was a new game

At Resetera -

Dusk Golem said:

I also know the game has an option for fixed camera angles, but they didn't include it in the trailer. ORIGINALLY, when REmake 2 first started development they actually just recreated RE2, original fixed cameras and all, and just recreated location. They ultimately went for an OTS style, but kept Fixed Cameras and First-Person in the coding. However, they knew many fans had been waiting a long time for Fixed Angles, so they continued work on the Fixed Angles they started, they needed more polish last I heard, but the game had time for polish. I DID NOT hear they continued the First-Person Mode, which I think you see in the trailer (it's hard to say since frankly, the trailer has so little gameplay), but it looks like they might've.

So, a few things I can talk about which I've been waiting for this to be revealed to do so. Firstly, OTS IS THE PRIMARY CAMERA, but this is a horror game. In fact, I think they decided to make this reveal less a 'hype' trailer, and more to show it's a horror game. It may even very well end up being the scariest RE game, they're doing some interesting things mechanically and stylistically. They redid the lighting engine since RE7's lighting was flat, and they wanted 'darkness' for RE2, one of the driving forces for RE2 was the theme of 'darkness', which Capcom has always sorta' associated with RE2. It's a game at its heart about tragedy and characters having to overcome a city gone to hell, and from that angle you can see they definitely tried to show the horror aspect in this trailer. I think they tried not to show much gameplay in the reveal since people might think it was an action game if they saw guns, but want to establish early this is a horror game.​

Paracelsus

I don't actually think there's any fixed camera at all and we will end up with the classic "last time I heard".

They probably thought the best way to counterbalance the dramatically easier ots gameplay was to have zombies run at you and gang up on you.

Now, if they don't have qte and once you're down you're dead, it may actually work. If you can shake the analog stick, slash and then kick, then it's basically RE6.

Yet another prime example of capitalizing upon rendering restrictions. The slowed camera movement in this engine provides high fidelity and blends the reduced framerate into movement that creates tension. Perhaps this will be the game that gets me to upgrade my original release PS4. Perhaps not.

Last edited:

deepest

Neo Member
Please Capcom, give us the old school fixed cameras too! My first RE game was the original back in 1996 (I was 14 yo lol) so RE meant to be played for me with fixed cameras.

Geki-D

Banned
At Resetera -

Dusk Golem said:

I also know the game has an option for fixed camera angles, but they didn't include it in the trailer. ORIGINALLY, when REmake 2 first started development they actually just recreated RE2, original fixed cameras and all, and just recreated location. They ultimately went for an OTS style, but kept Fixed Cameras and First-Person in the coding. However, they knew many fans had been waiting a long time for Fixed Angles, so they continued work on the Fixed Angles they started, they needed more polish last I heard, but the game had time for polish. I DID NOT hear they continued the First-Person Mode, which I think you see in the trailer (it's hard to say since frankly, the trailer has so little gameplay), but it looks like they might've.​
...​
So, a few things I can talk about which I've been waiting for this to be revealed to do so. Firstly, OTS IS THE PRIMARY CAMERA, but this is a horror game. In fact, I think they decided to make this reveal less a 'hype' trailer, and more to show it's a horror game. It may even very well end up being the scariest RE game, they're doing some interesting things mechanically and stylistically. They redid the lighting engine since RE7's lighting was flat, and they wanted 'darkness' for RE2, one of the driving forces for RE2 was the theme of 'darkness', which Capcom has always sorta' associated with RE2. It's a game at its heart about tragedy and characters having to overcome a city gone to hell, and from that angle you can see they definitely tried to show the horror aspect in this trailer. I think they tried not to show much gameplay in the reveal since people might think it was an action game if they saw guns, but want to establish early this is a horror game.​
If a first person mode is in there, I want a VR mode.

Weird gif to make that point. This doesn't look like OTS. It looks like a Dino Crisis esque tracking shot.

Look at how pulled back the camera is.
That's why I made that point cuz i'm pointing out it's a new take. It's OTS when aiming but the camera tracks and pans out...and gets real close when you get attacked. It's more movement based but it remains ots for combat.

New Shots

facebook_1528789076864.jpg

This is where the dark room save area is but now the stairs go way higher up. (See the herb)
facebook_1528789107641.jpg

yup typewriters are there.
35199146_2195956043753495_3340101478034440192_n.jpg

Oh and shotgun is still a beast.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
This game is pretty

Aggelos

That's why I made that point cuz i'm pointing out it's a new take. It's OTS when aiming but the camera tracks and pans out...and gets real close when you get attacked. It's more movement based but it remains ots for combat.

New Shots

This is where the dark room save area is but now the stairs go way higher up. (See the herb)
Hopefully it's the style of RE3.5. Fixed camera angles, dynamic camera angles, OTS.
Somebody said that the extra costumes even feature Elza Walker swap for Claire.

You can expect the police station to be redesigned, with more to explore and what not
The Main hall.
The architecture to the second floor is a novelty here.

Dfd098-VAAAm47Z.jpg:large

DfdToA_UEAAGDqr.jpg:large

DfddnDPXUAEVQQK.jpg:large

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
This look stunning. The whole over-the-shoulder camera option with Leon & the fact it's RE2 makes this the spiritual successor to RE4 - as a prequel. If this is as good as it looks, let's hope it's successful & we get a RE3 remake with Jill. I'd also hope to see this sell better than RE7, just to send Capcom a message vis-à-vis 'what' RE fans want.

The first trailer from the rat's perspective is GENIUS, this game looks so good!
Leon looks so YOUNG DANG, they did it man dear lord.
God is real, and there's a release date too. Geez 2019 is gonna end me before it even begin

EDMIX

I personally soooooooooooo glad they didn't go with first person view like RE7.
lol why would they? RE7 in terms of its view is unique to RE7, likely even RE8, no where did I hear ALL RESIDENT EVIL GAMES would be in first person. Resident Evil 2002 and Resident Evil Zero where both remastered, annnnnd not over the shoulder ala RE4 or 5 and not FPS or anything like that. Capcom very much remakes their their games with similar perspective based on how it originally released. So I saw zero reason to even worry about it being in first person.

Mr Hyde

This is day one, no doubt about it. Mr X and lickers are gonna make me shit bricks. The graphics were incredible. But what the hell have Capcom done with Leon and Claire? They looked so weird. Jesus, how hard is it to maintain a consistent design on your characters? First Chris and now this?

Y2H

Those trailers made me moist, now I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully it can live up to the precedent set by REmake. My only criticism is the new look of both Leon and Claire.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Hopefully it's the style of RE3.5. Fixed camera angles, dynamic camera angles, OTS.
Somebody said that the extra costumes even feature Elza Walker swap for Claire.

You can expect the police station to be redesigned, with more to explore and what not
The Main hall.
The architecture to the second floor is a novelty here.

Dfd098-VAAAm47Z.jpg:large

DfdToA_UEAAGDqr.jpg:large

DfddnDPXUAEVQQK.jpg:large
Oh man, thanks for those shots. Both Leon and Claire look much better in those.
What‘s up with that on stage trailer? Why did they look so weird there?

Skyn3t

Banned
Dream come true. Like someone said earlier REmake 2 looks fuckin nuts, visuals are top notch, as is the aesthethic and the atmosphere of the original masterfully shown in modern, state of the art looks. Jizz all over my pants ;)

MetalSlug

New Shots

yup typewriters are there.

Oh and shotgun is still a beast.

I was disappointed last night when it was shown, but if the entire game is like that (kinda like RE3.5?) then hopefully it should be good.

Top Bottom