• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

Ariesfirebomb

Neo Member
The poster is PERFECT. I don't necessarily see why folks are up in arms tbh. Leon has always looked like a reject of a 90s boyband to me. It's nowhere near as jarring as Chris in RE7

Any info about that ? though they wont show anything more.
No idea what the demo will be of. Excited tho.

No one's talking about it much but it seems like a big deal that if you pre-order this game ( and get the DLC ) you also get the original soundtrack to swap out in the main game. That's fucking huge if you're a fan of the old OST ( which is fantastic ).

Last edited:

xwez

Banned
This'll be the last RE game I play.

RE2 was my first RE game and loved how the fixed cameras that created a sense of uncertainty and gave these games a cinematic quality, the tank controls were fine because it worked in tandem with those fixed cameras. It holds a place dear in my heart as it got me into the horror genre as a whole.

This movie-fied reimagining changes so much, it looks more direct in displaying it's horror and every gory detail, the subtlety and quiet of the original is gone and the fact that people accept it with open arms shows I'm just out of touch, the series is no longer for me.

I'll still gonna play the remake with incredibly low expectations going in, but I'm finally done with RE after this.

This is just my harsh reminder that games are not art, and are foremost a commercial product to entertain.

For those that never played the original and are excited for the remake, I can only hope that you have as good as an experience as I did back with the original.

You remind me exactly of those people who feel the need to be overly dramatic and announce that they're going to delete their Facebook profiles. In short, who cares. What do you want us to say "No. Please don't go". Get over yourself.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Dang, who knew the sequel to re4 I always wanted would end up being re2 lol

Yes, that's exactly how I feel. This has seemingly everything good from RE4, yet better because they're zombies (Ganados & Cultists were cool, but nothing beats a George Romero-esque zombie apocalypse). I mean just the simple fact individual zombies will be difficult to kill & require skill = win. Halle-effing-lujah. I feel like old Rose in Titanic, i.e. "it's been 84 years..." (in our case 14).

I just hope this game is harder than the original & longer as well because its short campaign was the only complaint I ever had (even when factoring in Claire's story).

This look stunning. The whole over-the-shoulder camera option with Leon & the fact it's RE2 makes this the spiritual successor to RE4 - as a prequel. If this is as good as it looks, let's hope it's successful & we get a RE3 remake with Jill. I'd also hope to see this sell better than RE7, just to send Capcom a message vis-à-vis 'what' RE fans want.

I for one like both, RE7 was an AMAZING game and by far one of the best resident evil games in years. There's no reason why both types of RE games can't exist...

You remind me exactly of those people who feel the need to be overly dramatic and announce that they're going to delete their Facebook profiles. In short, who cares.

Yes, some people just wanna see the world burn... And that's why we can't have nice things... etc. Some people feel a constant urge to vent, like they're on their own 24/7 TV-Show or something - and they're relevant. It's pathological, really. It's that culture (read epidemic) of narcissism we're in right now. I mean, people could sometimes practice a little restraint. Especially when a bunch of people clearly enjoy something, why would you want to come over and start bashing, when it adds absolutely zero to the wellbeing of people, it just results in a chain reaction of bad feelings. Instead, when you just keep your negativity to yourself you add to the total well fare of a community. But hey, that is just me. And I have negative opinions about a lot stuff too, all time. But I usually think twice before venting.

xwez

Banned
Yes, some people just wanna see the world burn... And that's why we can't have nice things... etc. Some people feel a constant urge to vent, like they're on their own 24/7 TV-Show or something - and they're relevant. It's pathological, really. It's that culture (read epidemic) of narcissism we're in right now. I mean, people could sometimes practice a little restraint. Especially when a bunch of people clearly enjoy something, why would you want to come over and start bashing, when it adds absolutely zero to the wellbeing of people, it just results in a chain reaction of bad feelings. Instead, when you just keep your negativity to yourself you add to the total well fare of a community. But hey, that is just me. And I have negative opinions about a lot stuff too, all time. But I usually think twice before venting.

If he had left out that first sentence, that would have been one thing, but it was obvious that the point of his post was not about his impression of the trailer but him announcing his departure. People have opinions, and they're entitled to them, but leveraging patronage is stupid and nobody ever cares. It's about the prettiest thing somebody can do.

Last edited:

dolabla

Just a heads up Demo being shown at 4pm PDT:

DfgxnegWkAIQUB_

subsmoke

RE2 is one of my favorite games of all time so this is day one for me for sure. I gotta say though, until I saw this trailer I wasn't too hyped for it since I thought it was gonna be just a copy and paste of RE4 in Raccoon City without a ton of effort put into it but I can see that's not true. It looks amazing. Did you guys see the part where the zombie took a chunk out of that one dude? It almost looked real. I do agree that Claire and Leon don't really look like themselves but to be fair RE2 is a 20 year old PS1 game. They probably couldn't make them look the exact same way without it looking weird.

Ask questions about the game here and we might get some answers.

I asked about their approach to the soundtrack and if it'll still use a lot of the familiar themes.
I also asked if Fixed will be an unlockable option.

maybe if we ask these enough they might answer them but ...let's see what you guys come up with.

resident-evil-2-remake-gameplay-footage.gif

As a general horror game, it looks cool. As a faithful remake, no, it's not one at all. They have changed Claire way too much and even the Tyrant thing that stalked you in the original game (Mr. X?) looks ridiculous and modernized as all hell, *THUS* Capcom has just been changing 20 God damn years of RE history. The rest of it looks rather Hollywood to me as well. Also, I got a one week suspension from some bull crap Resident Evil site for giving my own thoughts on why these hardcore (loyal) fanboys are technically the ones ruining the franchise by supporting whatever half-baked BS Capcom puts out next. I'm known as "Cure Zombrex" on there. It's really sad that a lot of people don't fully respect what fellow fans have to say any more, then ban a long term poster for speaking his mind. This is why the Internet in 2018 kind of sucks ass.

https://residentevil.org/threads/resident-evil-2-hd-remaster-official-topic.11990/page-2#post-196452

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Gratuitous fatal stabbing seems to be flavour of the month at e3 this week. Ellie, Leon, Lara Croft....

k9vVWI.gif

Oof!

MADGAME

Not sure if threadworthy but....Hunk and Tofu are in!

In an exclusive interview with Trusted Reviews, Resident Evil 2 producer and senior manager Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, confirmed that the modes will be in the game.

“Of course! Yes!” Hiarabayashi said, via a translator, when asked if Resident Evil 2 will maintain its fun alternative modes as well as offering an incredibly visceral upgrade on the PS One 1998 classic. “Both the Fourth Survivor and Tofu modes will be included in the game.”

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/exclusive-tofu-back-resident-evil-2-3485594

Grinchy

Banned
That gameplay demo they showed on Twitch looked really damn good. It felt very tense and moody with the dark hallways only lit by your flashlight and it still somehow retained a RE2 look.

So it turns out we're not getting the classic game-play & camera options? That's what it seems like from the gameplay presentation. They didnt mention anything about it.

Eh, not excited about this game anymore.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Leon looks fine. He's young and he is supposed to be in this game. Close enough to the original character IMO.

Claire looks completely different... yet again. Capcom can't seem to make up their mind about how she should look. Here she looks like a southern girl. Like if all I knew was the picture I would legit expect a southern accent.

Aranea

Leon looks ok for the most. Claire well she doesn't look very much attractive on that poster. Her in game model looks better though.

aNDIvHu.jpg

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Regardless of attractiveness she just doesn't look like Claire. It's RE5 and RE:Rev2 all over again.

Darak

The gameplay looks solid, although it really is RE4 in the RE7 engine (the inventory looks exactly like in 7, it may be a placeholder) and not the remake I expected. In fact, judging by the way it plays, I don't see how they can add a fixed camera option to this game. It seems to be all about aiming for heads and limbs.

I'm not 100% sold, but I'll probably buy it.

ExpandKong

Banned
That looks like some kids who were Resident Evil 2 fans cosplaying at comicon or something.

Eh the characters are basically kids at this point aren’t they? Leon’s a rookie cop and Claire’s a college student.

It’s not blowing me away but i don’t mind it.

WaterAstro

And? It's not designed with fixed camera. It's not a remake like REmake. It's a new game. I'm out.
If they do have fixed camera mode, who says they can't design it around fixed cameras even with environment changes.
Capcom officially haven't confirmed a thing, some "insider" with conflicted information said they think there will be both options.
That would suck if someone jumped the gun and says something that wasn't true. I think I read it off Polygon.

After 2 comes out and all the fanboys eat it up, they will most definitely wait for a few more years and then they will remake 3 at some point as well. All the future games are going to have this "RE Engine" in them I'm sure, and people are going to have to accept that this will be the franchise's focus point from now on, possibly for good.

I'm kind of concerned that they're going to continue to half-ass more games and mess up the character designs, to the point where they become unrecognisable, just like Chris. Either that, or they will constantly end games where there could be a follow-up as hinted by the conclusion, but then all the different titles that they churn out later will certainly have unrelated stories yet again, with no long term enemy to worry about. Just random organizations playing the bad guys that are quickly executed.

I've not really liked the direction that RE went in after 4 because in all honesty, things have gotten rather stupid. It's almost like they want people to forget about the old games now, because we're living in a different era. And I still say they left the remake of 2 over 10 years too late. It's not a bad horror game in itself, mind you, but it has little resemblance to the original. And that annoys a lot of fans.

MrJTeera

This is what I’ve always envision a next gen RE game would look like! The tone and the atmosphere remains the same as in RE2 but with a shade and shine of modern horror.

The enemies in RE7 reminded me of the tense encounter with the slow walking zombies of the classic games, but they become repetitive to look at. Now I can barely spot an identical zombies in the demo.

And with the tight controls and free aim, the combat seems to rely more on my skills than statistical luck. No more unfair frustation of why I can’t pop a headshot until they get close enough like in the old games.

In my own opinion, I think Elza Walker could have been featured in a new DLC story where fans would truly appreciate the effort. She could have been added to the game at long last and been included in the universe, with a great story behind why she was in the city, like Claire. It seems to be a waste not to add her in, in a better way.

Top Bottom