• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

makaveli60

Looks good, but I was expecting somewhat better graphics, especially considerint that it is sort of a corridor game, but day one nevertheless, old RE games were masterpieces.

I'm not trolling, and the following is a genuine question. Is the "we do it" phrase grammatically correct? Seems strange to me, it should be "we're doing it", shouldn't it? Note that I'm not a native speaker.

Last edited:

yesrushdt

I hope to God that there's an option to turn that shit off because it's bugging the hell out of me. I have no problem with it being there for people who want it, but PLEASE give us a choice.

Everything else so far looks fucking fantastic though, and I really can't wait to get my hands on it. Outside of all that intrusive prompts and telling you where to go stuff, it's giving me the same kind of feeling I had when I first saw the original. Only 7 long, horrific, tortuous months of waiting to go.

Considering this game is running on the RE7 engine, there should be. Would appreciate anyone that's played REmake 2 at E3 chiming in though to confirm or deny that such an option currently exsists in the demo.

Turning off the HUD in RE7 removed the mission objectives during gameplay and also the indicators of what can be interacted with. Gives it that old school "find it yourself" challenge of the classic RE games and it's completely playable.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Walking down a hallway with some ungodly monster blocking your path was fun. It was like battling the swamp thing in a house down by the river.
They were cool at first, but it got lame round about the time the game introduced the quick ones and you left the main house for the second time when it pretty much turned into a shooting gallery till the end. They worked well in the dark, mold covered corridors of the house, but not so much in any other area.

Hunk and Tofu are confirmed to return!
I hope they change it and tofu gets a unique mission rather than just a rerun of Hunk's mission with different weapons.

That is where Leon meets Claire (from what we've seen based on the demo) . She seems to come from the area where the chopper crash-landed.

LeonAndClaire.png

As you can see from the playthrough done by Carcinogen (that I posted above) the demo ends when Marvin brings to Leon's attention the presence of a female survivor trying to sneak into the RPD.
The aforesaid image, might be the cut-scene triggered when Leon reaches to Claire's rescue.
Has it actually been confirmed we'll be getting a A & B scenario for both characters like the original game, or is Leon scenario A and Claire scenario B? Because I'm getting the feeling that's the case right now.

Last edited:
They were cool at first, but it got lame round about the time the game introduced the quick ones and you left the main house for the second time when it pretty much turned into a shooting gallery till the end. They worked well in the dark, rot covered corridors of the house, but not so much in any other area.

I hope they change it and tofu gets a unique mission rather than just a rerun of Hunk's mission with different weapons.

Has it actually been confirmed we'll be getting a A & B scenario for both characters like the original game, or is Leon scenario A and Claire scenario B? Because I'm getting the feeling that's the case right now.
Trust your feelings.

WaterAstro

I think Huber from Easy Allies mention there's no A-B, but just one A-A story, one each.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Now is as good a time as any to replay the original methinks.

What's the best way to do so via emulation?

I replayed 2 & 3 on my Vita a couple years ago. Its not as bad as you'd think. I have never tried the PC/Dolphin versions and its portable. Its PS1 emulation :)

I'm just throwing that out just in case someone's Vita isn't being used.

They were cool at first, but it got lame round about the time the game introduced the quick ones and you left the main house for the second time when it pretty much turned into a shooting gallery till the end. They worked well in the dark, mold covered corridors of the house, but not so much in any other area.

yeah, Capcom can learn a lot from that. Hopefully they're looking at all the feedback for the next game and DLC.

Last edited:
One thing that somewhat bugs me is the immediate fan reaction a game like this gets. Sure, it's still Resident Evil and a lot of people love the series. Me included, obviously. I've been a fan of the franchise for nearly 20 years, although I never support the odd pile of garbage they bring out, like Umbrella Corps. But one thing that kind of annoys me is the amount of initial praise a game like this receives because fanboys keep kissing their arse cheeks over at Capcom. For all we know, Capcom could be crapping on our trust again, as they've did 90% of the time in the past. Who knows if any of this stuff makes it into the final product. I've not seen anything that remotely makes it a faithful remake, like the original GameCube remake of the original 1996 game.

Positive: Great looking game nonetheless, that actually looks very scary and well made.
Negative: Rather unfaithful remake that has removed tons of stuff from the 1998 version.

But one thing that kind of annoys me is the amount of initial praise a game like this receives because fanboys keep kissing their arse cheeks over at Capcom. (...)I've not seen anything that remotely makes it a faithful remake, like the original GameCube remake of the original 1996 game.

What annoys me is entitled little pricks who believe that THEY hold the sole right to determine what should be considered a FAITHFUL remake.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
One thing that somewhat bugs me is the immediate fan reaction a game like this gets. Sure, it's still Resident Evil and a lot of people love the series. Me included, obviously. I've been a fan of the franchise for nearly 20 years, although I never support the odd pile of garbage they bring out, like Umbrella Corps. But one thing that kind of annoys me is the amount of initial praise a game like this receives because fanboys keep kissing their arse cheeks over at Capcom. For all we know, Capcom could be crapping on our trust again, as they've did 90% of the time in the past. Who knows if any of this stuff makes it into the final product. I've not seen anything that remotely makes it a faithful remake, like the original GameCube remake of the original 1996 game.

Positive: Great looking game nonetheless, that actually looks very scary and well made.
Negative: Rather unfaithful remake that has removed tons of stuff from the 1998 version.
May I ask what's been removed?
The game is definitely more of a remake than REmake but I wouldn't say it was unfaithful

Vawn

Banned

Yeah... not enough negativity on the Internet.

Capcom gets a lot of hate, as does everything else from cranky people online who look for the worst in things.

I've personally been impressed with Capcom. Resident Evil VII is my favorite RE game since REmake.

I've been playing and loving the Mega Man collection on Switch and Mega Man 11 looks to be amazing.

Before that, I played Okami HD which despite being a massive game is only $20.

Street Fighter V had a poor launch, but has turned into the defining fighting game of the generation.

And RE2 is now my most anticipated game on my radar.

Heaven forbid I'm positive about anything, but I'm going to kiss Capcom's butt right now as you put it, because I'm impressed with their work.

DavidGzz

If this was just like RE2 with a paint job like REMAKE I'd be 1/10th as excited as I am now. This is exactly what this remake needed to get me this excited and to bring in newcomers. Modernizing it but still keeping it familiar. Best move even if some are disappointed. It will bring in many more than it loses and you can't please everyone.

Paracelsus

When you do a remake, technically you should listen to the people who made that entry popular, and if anything is left, the latecomers. I can't wait until we finally see FFVIIr and it turns out to be Kingdom Fantasy VII, or much worse, Final Fantasy XV-VIII=VII

That said, RE2r is an interesting take on RE2, it still feels more like someone modded RE2 into RE7, and I don't necessarily mean it as a compliment. The tone of the original is completely lost, and it's not like they made it dark to scare people, it's probably a design choice: they made it hard to see so that it's hard to detect where the enemy is coming from. Pitch black, OTS with very narrow FOV, you suddenly made the game harder without doing anything.

Looks good, but I was expecting somewhat better graphics, especially considerint that it is sort of a corridor game, but day one nevertheless, old RE games were masterpieces.

I'm not trolling, and the following is a genuine question. Is the "we do it" phrase grammatically correct? Seems strange to me, it should be "we're doing it", shouldn't it? Note that I'm not a native speaker.
A serious question, you were expecting better than this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably one of the best in-game character models I've seen from the hair to the realism in the face.

That's not to mention I don't think there's even been better zombies than this stuff.

93c862a7359d4d7faf68c8a0b232dda2.gif

giphy.gif

Orta

Banned
I've been playing through RE2 since yesterday. Though still a favourite, I'm glad Capcom are completely overhauling the game mechanics. Anyone criticising their decision not to go the RE1 remake route might want to give it a go too. It's not *quite* as you might remember it :)

makaveli60

A serious question, you were expecting better than this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Probably one of the best in-game character models I've seen from the hair to the realism in the face.

That's not to mention I don't think there's even been better zombies than this stuff.

93c862a7359d4d7faf68c8a0b232dda2.gif

giphy.gif
I think yes... I was reading about the RE2 topics and got hyped when others talked about how it would look like if it had prerendered backgrounds and if not that, then I expected it to look as good as The Order 1886 because of its "corridory" setting. It looks good but still.

Last edited:
I think yes... I was reading about the RE2 topics and got hyped when others talked about how it would look like if it had prerendered backgrounds and if not that, then I expected it to look as good as The Order 1886 because of its "corridory" setting. It looks good but still.
I think this game has some of the best models in gaming. The order if i remember correctly is SUPER linear. Is it not? This is hub based locations. So if the environments look better in The Order I'm not really surprised by it. I still think these environments look pretty damn great.

DavidGzz

Have you ever played REmake? That game was far more than just a paint job.

Yes, finished it multiple times but compared to this reimagining it's a paint job as in just a visual upgrade. It doesn't change the game much IIRC. This isn't a dig, it was all I wanted at the time. This new RE2 gives me something I didn't know I wanted. They went above and beyond and we and they will benefit greatly from it.

Vawn

Banned
Yes, finished it multiple times but compared to this reimagining it's a paint job as in just a visual upgrade. It doesn't change the game much IIRC. This isn't a dig, it was all I wanted at the time. This new RE2 gives me something I didn't know I wanted. They went above and beyond and we and they will benefit greatly from it.

It changes quite a bit actually. About a third of remake are areas, enemies not in the original and the game flows differently because of it.

REmake remains my favorite remakes ever and both the original PS1 game and it are among my favorite games ever.

-MD-

You're definitely understating the changes REmake saw from the original.

--
Edit: misread

Last edited:
Max just uploaded a vid of him dicking around in the demo showing stuff off. Unlike others he walks outside at the beginning, and shows off all the damage you can do to a zombie.

Raynes

Everything looks good, but they seriously need to go back to the old Japanese style faces.
Why do devsfeel like they need to get photo-realistic faces these days? It looks horrible in every single game.

Last edited:

Aggelos

The capcom people said it's gonna be Leon and Claire Campaigns in the play-through that they did on the PlayStation Live Events Floor.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/e3-sony-resident-evil-2-remake-trailer.1463036/post-253298597

People who think about the zapping system and those A and B scenarios should read Hideki Kamiya thoughts-tweets that he wrote in January 2018 when RE2 turned 20 years old.

========================================================================

DavidGzz

Max just uploaded a vid of him dicking around in the demo showing stuff off. Unlike others he walks outside at the beginning, and shows off all the damage you can do to a zombie.

Man, I'm not watching the whole thing since I don't want to memorize the demo but that first time he had 3 zombies coming at him at once and he was shooting their arms and legs looked amazing! This game man! This is in another realm altogether as far as remakes go. Nothing can touch it.

Aggelos

People so far have been horsing around with the so-called Zombie physics and what happens after unloading some lead on them.
I can't even imagine what's going to ensue with these two gentlemen below.

latest

RuhRo

The faces look like a perfect translation of the original designs into a more photorealistic style. This feels like they took the note about RE7 Chris—unlike that design, these are very recognizably the same characters.

Vawn

Banned
The faces look like a perfect translation of the original designs into a more photorealistic style. This feels like they took the note about RE7 Chris—unlike that design, these are very recognizably the same characters.

I'm not seeing it. Is this like those hidden picture things from the 90s where I just keep staring at it and you promise I'll see it, but I never do?

Last edited:
People who think Leon's model doesn't look like a young Leon Kennedy...Idk what to tell you.

Resident-Evil-2-Remake-trailer-clear-Featured.jpg

52707-Resident_Evil_2_(E)_(Disc_1)_(Leon_Disc)-1.jpg

Keep in mind in this game he's 21 years old so maybe the youthful look is throwing people off but.....

Claire does look quite different but it's a really good design for her if you're gonna start over and give her a new look. She's got a nice girl next door look to her, you can see some Claire like features but it's definitely a new take.

demigod

You're definitely understating the changes REmake saw from the original.

You say completely different but she looks the exact same to me, the head is just positioned differently with her mouth open.

Looks different to me. One is in game engine, the other with leon doesn’t.

LUXURY

I made this wallpaper today. It's hella basic, but I was bored and imgur really made it lower quality...

TmSUV3B.jpg

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I really don't understand the complaints. The character models look fine and the gameplay looks awesome. What is to be upset about?

I'm even one of the people who just wanted a modern take on the REmake formula before they finally showed this. What they showed is just so hard to hate on.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Is it just me, or can I not pre order the disk version anywhere? I’ve been looking for it all week, not a sight. I can pre order digital, but disk? Nope. I can’t even find it on PlayStation, even though Ill get it on Xbox.

I need to get myself the full shiny collectors edition with all the bells and whistles. I’m usually against the big collectors editions but... fuck it’s resident evil 2. If anything deserves my cash it’s this.

This odd trend of different digital/hard copy timings is a bit naff. I’ve already got my wife moaning at me because Jurassic World evolution released weeks early on digital over hard copy... ugh...

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
I really don't understand the complaints. The character models look fine and the gameplay looks awesome. What is to be upset about?

I'm even one of the people who just wanted a modern take on the REmake formula before they finally showed this. What they showed is just so hard to hate on.

The problem is it’s not classic RE, like re-birth was. I’m comjng around to how different it is, but I still have a bit of sadness that we will never get a true fixed camera remake.

The other issues are the faces for Leon and clair look... awful. They don’t look right at all. Even the arse chin. Something is really odd about them. But it does depend of which videos you watch as they clearly look better in the new videos, just not as good as I think they should be.

And as for the other things... I’m 100% with the people moaning about the horrible pop ups and “hey look over here click this!!!” Bullshit. It’s not needed. It wasn’t there in the original and we al did fine. This is some BS for the new hand holding generation of gamers who probably can’t even figure out the green key card opens a green door... it’s insulting.

VulcanRaven

The original was good but I have only played it with Claire. I should probably play it with Leon soon. I hope they make more remakes like this. Dino Crisis remake or a sequel would be awesome.

Last edited:

BTHR Zero X

The problem is it’s not classic RE, like re-birth was. I’m comjng around to how different it is, but I still have a bit of sadness that we will never get a true fixed camera remake.
Tank Controls and Fixed Camera now a days do not feel right. Even playing REMake on the PS4 with the classic controls and such or RE 1/2/3 on my vita you controls feel clunky out dated and more of a hassle it slows down the game when it is not needed.

And as for the other things... I’m 100% with the people moaning about the horrible pop ups and “hey look over here click this!!!” Bullshit. It’s not needed. It wasn’t there in the original and we al did fine. This is some BS for the new hand holding generation of gamers who probably can’t even figure out the green key card opens a green door... it’s insulting.
I will always hate hand holding. The game is for adults not tweens. let us think about how to work it out.

lifa-cobex

Glad to see RE is back hitting its stride again.
Fingers crossed that they keep going for Nemesis and RE4.

But then that's all. Thanks Capcom.

kunonabi

Everything looks good, but they seriously need to go back to the old Japanese style faces.
Why do devsfeel like they need to get photo-realistic faces these days? It looks horrible in every single game.

The less anime the better when it comes to RE.

Top Bottom