• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

makaveli60

I think this game has some of the best models in gaming. The order if i remember correctly is SUPER linear. Is it not? This is hub based locations. So if the environments look better in The Order I'm not really surprised by it. I still think these environments look pretty damn great.
It's not more linear than Resident Evil 2. And honestly I think the ingame models in this remake doesn't look too good, especially Claire's model with scarce detail, from what I've seen, but feel free to show me pics that prove me wrong. I just watched again the Gears 5 trailer and compared to those character models the difference is day and night.

Last edited:

Moses85

Did anybody hear something about a nice Limited or Collectors Edition?
The Game diserves it like no other Game.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Did anybody hear something about a nice Limited or Collectors Edition?
The Game diserves it like no other Game.
The Deluxe Edition is available on US Amazon and GameStop
Nothing else yet for the rest of the world
Digital version went up straight away

Vawn

Banned
You mean for pre-order? If so, neither is it up on Xbox yet. Odd, isn't it? I wonder why that is.

It was listed under "Only on PlayStation" on PSN. I know its multiplatform, but maybe Sony has some sort of exclusivity time period for pre-orders?

It's not more linear than Resident Evil 2. And honestly I think the ingame models in this remake doesn't look too good, especially Claire's model with scarce detail, from what I've seen, but feel free to show me pics that prove me wrong. I just watched again the Gears 5 trailer and compared to those character models the difference is day and night.
maxresdefault.jpg
tumblr_pacfery85R1t66aclo3_400.gif
image_resident_evil_2-38529-4110_0017.jpg
image_resident_evil_2-38529-4110_0007.jpg
They're really solid graphics. When you consider that the enemy models are also modeled from skin/muscle/skeleton/organs...and that you can slowly rip them apart with your bullets like so

93c862a7359d4d7faf68c8a0b232dda2.gif

It's shit like that...that make the graphics even more special.

Is it the best looking game ever? It's hard for me to say any game is with the graphical power houses nowadays but it hangs with the best no doubt. Also worth noting RE ENGINE gets the game close to 60fps. To get the above visuals out of the game is pretty amazing. As far as Claire goes, I didn't think the trailer looked good at all for whatever reason but watching the demo it's a beautiful game.

Last edited:

makaveli60

maxresdefault.jpg
tumblr_pacfery85R1t66aclo3_400.gif
image_resident_evil_2-38529-4110_0007.jpg
They're really solid graphics. When you consider that the enemy models are also modeled from skin/muscle/skeleton/organs...and that you can slowly rip them apart with your bullets like so

93c862a7359d4d7faf68c8a0b232dda2.gif

Is it the best looking game ever? It's hard for me to say any game is with the graphical power houses nowadays but it hangs with the best no doubt. Also worth noting RE ENGINE gets the game close to 60fps. To get the above visuals out of the game is pretty amazing. As far as Claire goes, I didn't think the trailer looked good at all for whatever reason but watching the demo it's a beautiful game.
So it runs at 60fps on consoles? In that case, yes it's impressive. But f... 60 fps, I would rather them do away with that and blow my mind with the graphics, but that's just me.

ruvikx

Banned
So it runs at 60fps on consoles? In that case, yes it's impressive. But f... 60 fps, I would rather them do away with that and blow my mind with the graphics, but that's just me.

I'm thinking this little puppy will blow our minds on the Xbox One X, Pro & PC. If true (60fps) I'd be extremely hyped (I already was) because the smoothness will make combat even better. Also, keep in mind it's a claustrophobic game without massive locations, therefor there's no reason to believe graphics will take a hit in order to achieve 60 fps (RE7's interiors looked great on the base PS4, & that game was at 60 fps).

makaveli60

fuck 60 fps? wtf naw. and the game looks insane. i dont know what crazy standards you have
Why is it that 60fps obsessed people can't accept the fact that not everybody likes 60fps? They say that it is objectively better, but guess what, it's subjectively not always better. For me it looks weird, and I would choose better graphics anytime. And I don't think I have crazy standards, I'm just comparing this to other games, and this doesn't look that spectacular if we take into account that this is a "corridor" game. But if it really runs at 60 fps on consoles, then yes, it's impressive, just as I said.

Kreydo

Why is it that 60fps obsessed people can't accept the fact that not everybody likes 60fps?
True I also didn't like 60fps IRL... so I ripped off one of my eyes, now I see the world at 30FPS like in the movie, it's much better.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
True I also didn't like 60fps IRL... so I ripped off one of my eyes, now I see the world at 30FPS like in the movie, it's much better.
I have bad news. Movies are 24fps, so you need to scratch a little the eye you have.

@thread
I'm so hyped that I may vomit. And the game is only releasing in january.... Fuck me.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Of course I love 60fps, even though on pc, 60fps is like the bare minimum for me lol.

What annoys me on consoles isn’t that I can’t enjoy 30 FPS games. Of course I can. I’m 34 years old. I best Zelda 64 and Goldeneye, games with frame rates that’s ould five kids strokes these days.... What annoys me is when I move from 60fps to lower.

For example recently I was hammering Dark Souls Remastered, night and day, loving it. Then I finished it and thought “hey I’ll go back to Mafia 3, that will do as a stop gap”.

Ho. Lee. Shite.

That games not even 30 FPS most of the time, worse the frame pacing is awful. What’s worse is that the input lag is awful... I had to stop playing after just a few minutes.

So while everybody constantly goes on and on about frame rate being king... it really isn’t. Not even close. I would be more than happy to have 30 and 60 FPS games next gen (with a little more time spent on keeping them locked at this). What I DO THINK should be mandatory next gen, is that frame pacing issues are eliminated. Full stop. Because most of the time, that’s what makes a 30fps game feel really bad to play. You can move from one 30fps locked games to another, and find it impossible to play due to this. I would also set a bar for how much input lag is acceptable, and deny certification for any titles that go over a set limit. Back to my mafia 3 example, there are cases where I can hit a SECOND in input delay... that shot shouldn’t be happening. Full stop.

As for graphics... hell... I don’t care. There will always be shit pushing the envelope and there will always be games that look sub par. As long as games play well, it shouldn’t matter. My last few games on my stupid worlds most powerful gaming console the Xbox one x have been... Lego backwards compatible games. And I’m just about to start the mega drive collection.

So yeah, I’m terms of what should and shouldn’t be acceptable, there are for me at least far bigger concerns than frame rate. And don’t even get me started on controls and their stick dead zone issues all being different...

makaveli60

Of course I love 60fps, even though on pc, 60fps is like the bare minimum for me lol.

What annoys me on consoles isn’t that I can’t enjoy 30 FPS games. Of course I can. I’m 34 years old. I best Zelda 64 and Goldeneye, games with frame rates that’s ould five kids strokes these days.... What annoys me is when I move from 60fps to lower.

For example recently I was hammering Dark Souls Remastered, night and day, loving it. Then I finished it and thought “hey I’ll go back to Mafia 3, that will do as a stop gap”.

Ho. Lee. Shite.

That games not even 30 FPS most of the time, worse the frame pacing is awful. What’s worse is that the input lag is awful... I had to stop playing after just a few minutes.

So while everybody constantly goes on and on about frame rate being king... it really isn’t. Not even close. I would be more than happy to have 30 and 60 FPS games next gen (with a little more time spent on keeping them locked at this). What I DO THINK should be mandatory next gen, is that frame pacing issues are eliminated. Full stop. Because most of the time, that’s what makes a 30fps game feel really bad to play. You can move from one 30fps locked games to another, and find it impossible to play due to this. I would also set a bar for how much input lag is acceptable, and deny certification for any titles that go over a set limit. Back to my mafia 3 example, there are cases where I can hit a SECOND in input delay... that shot shouldn’t be happening. Full stop.

As for graphics... hell... I don’t care. There will always be shit pushing the envelope and there will always be games that look sub par. As long as games play well, it shouldn’t matter. My last few games on my stupid worlds most powerful gaming console the Xbox one x have been... Lego backwards compatible games. And I’m just about to start the mega drive collection.

So yeah, I’m terms of what should and shouldn’t be acceptable, there are for me at least far bigger concerns than frame rate. And don’t even get me started on controls and their stick dead zone issues all being different...
I agree with bad frame-pacing, I don't like that either.

And for those posters that are trying to make fun of what I said about 60 fps... try harder, maybe you can make someone laugh in the end with your close-minded knee-jerk reactions. Might as well go to the other forum that has lots of similar people like you.

GenericUser

I'm seriously scratching my head when people are disappointed with the graphics. Am I getting old or something? Because in my opinion this game is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. The art direction and the attention to details are outstanding. A couple of weeks ago, we had a thread about if prerendered backgrounds are still serviceable 2018. I argued that real time scenarios are not yet able to deliver the same amount of details that prerendered screens had. After seeing the REmake2 in motion, I changed my mind to some extend.

Even looking at the screens posted on this very forum page, I can't help myself but to drool over Leons look. I think they really really NAILED how he should look like.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It looks amazing to me. In fact, most games do. Looking at screenshots or crappy youtubes is one thing, but when I'm playing games these days, I'm almost always amazed. I can still have a mind for where tech is at and what is possible to push harder with any particular game (this could do better in close-up world details and interactivity/destruction), but ultimately everything has its own strengths and weaknesses. The lighting and character model detail/destruction in this game are top level.

It’s unlocked so a lot of the time its inbetween. Still those shots I posted look very fucking nice. It’s one of the nicer looking games out there’s and knowing it’s frame rate is above 30 and can still achieve that is wild

-MD-

I also find it weird when my games are smooth and responsive.

Personally I'd like them to lock the game at 15fps and crank those textures baby! I'm here for the graphics.

VulcanRaven

Why is it that 60fps obsessed people can't accept the fact that not everybody likes 60fps? They say that it is objectively better, but guess what, it's subjectively not always better. For me it looks weird, and I would choose better graphics anytime. And I don't think I have crazy standards, I'm just comparing this to other games, and this doesn't look that spectacular if we take into account that this is a "corridor" game. But if it really runs at 60 fps on consoles, then yes, it's impressive, just as I said.
I always prefer 60fps but 30fps is good too if its stable. One game that feels horrible in 30fps is The Last of Us on PS4. Play it in 60fps for a while and then switch to 30fps. It feels so bad.

Last edited:

makaveli60

I always prefer 60fps but 30fps is good too if its stable. One game that feels horrible in 30fps is The Last of Us on PS4. Play it in 60fps for a while and then switch to 30fps. It feels so bad.
I tried 60 fps in that game but preferred 30 fps so I played in that mode. I don't think there was anything wrong with it, maybe it was just jarring to you because you got accustomed to 60.

Aggelos

Interesting interview from relyonhorror, with the two producers of the game.
http://www.relyonhorror.com/in-dept...hi-and-tsuyoshi-kanda-explain-how-they-do-it/

So in terms of the A/B scenarios the key takeaway is
-There are campaigns for the two characters.
-Those events that took place in the A/B scenarios are sort of meshed together and stitched together to improve the gaming experience in this RE2REmake (so that the player won't come across a story that is spread-out across 4 scenarios), which helps to avoid a thinly and lightly interwoven story-line.

After many years of anticipation, Capcom finally revealed the RE2 Remake during Sony’s E3 2018 press conference. It was a bit of a surreal moment for me as a fan seeing a treasured game from my childhood remade for a modern platform, and I wasn’t the only one that felt that way. Capcom gave me the opportunity to interview producers Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Tsuyoshi Kanda, and they had a surreal moment of their own during the reveal when they could finally show the world all the hard work they’ve put into this remake. I was more than a little excited to sit down with them and chat all about the project.

Rely On Horror: Resident Evil 2 is not only arguably the most popular game in the series, but one of the most beloved games for the original PlayStation. Was there any apprehension in remaking it just based on how revered it is and the expectations that come with that fan adoration?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: We spent a lot of time talking about how we as RE2 fans ourselves on the team could take our memories of playing the game 20 years ago and we think we have that same perspective a lot of veteran fans do too. We really love this game, and our job is to respect the original whilst also bringing a sort of freshness to the reimagined version that lets not only veteran fans enjoy it but new players as well. But there certainly was a lot of pressure involved, lots of long debates and discussions with the team.​

Rely On Horror: How about the response to the reveal trailer, has the reception been pretty positive for you?

Tsuyoshi Kanda: We were pleasantly surprised with how great and positive the reaction was. You mentioned the trailer opening with the first person perspective of a rat crawling around. This opening was a bit of strategic misdirection on our part, we wanted people watching the Sony conference to have some doubt as to what they were actually seeing. ‘What game could this possibly be?’ and then the hints begin to pile up ‘is this Resident Evil? Could it be?!’ then to have that moment where Leon appears and hear gasps and cheers from the audience as the trailer went on was really great for us.​

Rely On Horror: Are there any members of the development team that actually worked on the original Resident Evil 2? If so, do they offer any special input on the remake since they were there for the original game’s development?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: Yes we have two artists on the team that worked on the original game, and in fact one of them even worked on the very first Resident Evil and has worked on multiple titles in the series. So they’re quite specialized and experienced, and they’ve been very valuable team members. Also, from a top down direction, our boss Jun Takeuchi is an old school Resident Evil 2 project manager. So we get a lot of advice/instruction from him.​
Tsuyoshi Kanda: Also on the sound team, Shusaku Uchiyama is working on the new title and he was there for the original game as well.​

Rely On Horror: Since Resident Evil 2‘s release, Resident Evil has had several action-heavy focused entries such as Resident Evil 4. From what I played of the demo this remake is a faithful and pure survival horror game. Was there any point in development where you considered making the remake more action focused?

Tsuyoshi Kanda: I’m very pleased you got that impression from the demo, ’cause right from the start our goal was respecting the original’s horror atmosphere and gameplay. Resident Evil 4 and that sort of middle series of games had a more of an action/set piece focus where you’re always moving forward almost like a roller-coaster ride. That’s not what this title is, always from the start we wanted to keep it about exploration, backtracking, metroidvania style of gameplay with stages you can come and go in. You can of course use the latest technology to update that experience in lots of ways, but we never considered that this project would become an action game.​

Rely On Horror: The original game had 4 different scenarios with Leon A/Claire B and Claire A/Leon B. Will Leon and Claire’s scenarios mesh more into one overarching story this time around?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: One of the great things about the original was this sort of two character system where you could get a different perspective on events. Either as Leon the rookie cop, or Claire as a student—the ‘zapping’ system as it was known where there was A parts and B parts to each character. We still want to replicate that feeling of seeing two sides to the same story through both character’s perspective in their own way. So for that reason we have a Leon campaign and a Claire campaign, they’re separate and you can choose which one you want to play first. We did simplify it a bit and make it more elegant by eliminating the A/B distinction and sort of meshing together what happens to the character’s A and B scenarios into one story. I think players today, they want these sort of deep/intense experiences with the story, and by stretching it across 4 scenarios the story gets spread a little thin and create a sense of repetition by going through the game multiple times to see everything. So for that reason we went with two campaigns that still show all the events of each character’s story rather than have it all split up.​

Rely On Horror: Will there be other camera angles/modes with an ability to switch between them? Follow up: were tank controls and fixed camera angles considered at all?

Tsuyoshi Kanda: We’re really focused on our new over the shoulder camera, so we’re not really thinking about alternative camera options. It’s not going to be a ‘shooter’ over the shoulder game, it’s going to be a tense claustrophobic camera that still really brings the horror experience even though it’s a new style for Resident Evil 2.​
Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: Looking at the series history so far as a sort of options on the table for what we could’ve done for a new game: we have the classic fixed camera, a third person camera, and even a first person camera with Resident Evil 7. So all of those are the sort of things we could’ve considered and they all have their pros and cons, none is a sort of clear winner for any particular game. But our concept was these up close and personal claustrophobic encounters with more terrifying than ever zombies, and I wanted to see the ‘biter’ and the ‘bitee’ on screen at the same time [Laughs]. With a first person camera, you see the zombie but not yourself; and with a fixed camera you see both but it’s more zoomed out and not as intense. For me the over the shoulder camera gives you that intense struggle between both the character and the enemy.​

Rely On Horror: Resident Evil 2 has a lot of iconic enemies like Mr. X, William Birkin, and the Lickers. Did you have to update enemy mechanics to suit the OTS playstyle and combat?

Tsuyoshi Kanda: Yes, we had to reconsider the space that the characters are in with the new camera angles. Taking the Licker for example, you first meet it in the ‘Licker corridor’ and while the CG movie plays it’s on the ceiling, then when it goes back to gameplay the Licker immediately drops down to the floor so you can aim down and shoot it. With that sort of camera the Licker can’t really jump around from different angles, but with the new over the shoulder perspective the Licker can move around a 3D environment and introduce 360 degree action. So the Licker will be much more able to utilize the entire space around you because you can see the entire corridor from any angle. It allows for much more elaborate and interesting enemy AI and behavior.​

Rely On Horror: How did they consider the fact that the game takes place in the ’90s and did they intentionally try to keep that aesthetic?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: We’ve re-imagined the game but we aren’t rebooting it in the modern era, it’s still set in the same 1998ish period that the original came out in. So there needed to be care taken that objects in the game make sense for that time period. So even the music you might hear on the radio, we want to make sure none of it sounds modern or not of the era. Just before I left for E3 I was driving in my car and Nirvana came on, grunge was obviously very popular in the 90s and I was reminded how important it is to use objects or sounds to help establish a certain period of time.​

Rely On Horror: You have an Elza Walker costume. Are there other ideas from Resident Evil 1.5 making it in?

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: The digital deluxe edition does include an Elza Walker costume for Claire, which was a fun little touch to do because some fans might’ve seen Resident Evil 1.5 and wanted to experience bit of that. In general though, apart from that we haven’t included 1.5 stuff just because people don’t have memories of that or nostalgia for it.​

Rely On Horror: Resident Evil 2 is very special to a lot of people, myself included, do you have anything you’d like to say to all the fans that’ve been waiting many years to get their hands on this remake?

Tsuyoshi Kanda: I really think that your readers and all the fans that’ve waited so long for Resident Evil 2 to be remade will love this reimagined version. Playing this beautiful looking new game whilst having your memories of the original flash back to you as you’re playing is quite special. We are fans too, and we’ve been really excited to bring this to you. It’s been a long time coming, so look forward to our updates between now and January and I really hope you all enjoy the game.

Yoshiaki Hirabayashi: So we’ve kept you waiting, huh? Yes, I’m speaking as a producer right now, but my first game on PS1 was Resident Evil 2 as well. I know how much everyone loves it because I love it as well, and I’m also confident this is what you’ve been waiting for and you’re going to enjoy this new reimagined version.

We extend our thanks to Hirabayashi-san and Kanda-san for their time. Keep a look out for my hands-on preview within the coming days!

Last edited:

TGO

Made a simple wallpaper for anyone that wants it

re2poster33bdsh2.png

Last edited:

LUXURY

i wonder what sort of physical editions (if any) they will have... i keep thinking of all the possibilities.

So if Claire A was the canon route in the original and Leon B followed, do you think that will be the case here as well? It's too early to know, I guess.

Orta

Banned
I wonder what the sales figures will be like across all formats for this one? Could it approach/surpass the 10m mark?

Last edited:

-MD-

I wonder what the sales figures will be like across all formats for this one? Could it approach/surpass the 10m mark?

I'm thinking it being a remake of an old game + having more of a traditional survival horror focus rather than being an action heavy shootbang like the two best selling games in the series (5 and 6) will prevent it from doing so.

I'd love for it to take that spot though, I'd much rather modern RE games be like this than some forgettable action romp like the series has been over the past decade.

Last edited:

TGO

RESIDENT EVIL 2 REMAKE: PS4 PRO AND XBOX ONE X OPTIONS CONFIRMED
Players will have to choose between 4K and 60fps.
BY NICK SANTANGELO
PlayStation 4 Pro and Xbox One X owners will have two different graphical options to choose from when they boot up Capcom's Resident Evil 2 remake next January. Owners will be able to choose from either 4K resolution and 30fps or a lower resolution at 60fps.
ADVERTISEMENT

“Players will be able to play on Xbox One X and PS4 Pro in 4K," Capcome Brand Manager Mike Lunn informed Gaming Bolt. "But if you choose to play in 4K you won’t be able to play at 60 frames per second. So it will run at 30 FPS. It is a stable [framerate].”
Lunn didn't explain if the 4K resolution is native or checkerboard, nor did he detail whether Resident Evil 2 will run at a resolution of 1080 or 720 when players choose the 60fps option. He also declined to share what the framerate will be on standard Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles.

Resident Evil 2 Remake Announcement Trailer - E3 2018

1:58

The Resident Evil 2 remake brings the series' classic horror roots up to date with a modernized over-the-shoulder camera and bleeding-edge graphics. Many ideas from the 1998 original, like having two separate campaign, are back in the remake, but they're being handled a little differently.
Resident Evil 2 will be released on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC on January 25, 2019.
Source:http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2018/0...make-ps4-pro-and-xbox-one-x-options-confirmed

Last edited:
Oh, God. 5 and 6 are among the worst entries and I cannot believe people praised Capcom for those. I therefore appreciate that Capcom are making it in third person, but as a horror game unlike anything we've seen before. I'd still like to think the original will forever be canon. I don't mind this game as an alternative game, but I'm just so fond of the original. It's the game that got me engrossed in survival horror games, and I'm still a big fan.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Sadly, after monster hunter, I’m calling this now...

The game will look worse on Xbox one x than it will PS4 pro... as stupid as it may be, I just don’t trust capcom with the X. I recently booted up RE7 on my x, and was created with a very ugly low resolution blur and shit loads of issues with the sky that wasn’t there before... and I’m not the only one. Such a shame :( the X version should be the definitive version, but my worry is they will pull a monster hunter and just up the resolution. The problem with that is that the base Xbox will likely run this will a couple of things lower, such as lod distances. Bugger... really hope I’m wrong...

EDMIX

This game looks amazing! Proves once and for all that Capcom could have had zombies in RE4 and just continued the same concept as suppose to go straight action with RE4

onlyoneno1

Absolutely love the look and feel of the game. The zombies are giving off the creepy vibe I remember having the first time I played RE2. The only thing I find odd is Leon and Claire's faces. But I guess we'll get used to it. I hope they do extra content for the game and include puzzle solving.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/resident-evi...-school-camera-no-plan-for-switch-version#nnn

GamingBolt spoke to Capcom brand manager Mike Lunn at E3 2018 and talked about whether a first person perspective was ever considered for Resident Evil 2. Considering how successful Resident Evil 7 was, the idea surely popped up at some point right?

Lunn says that, “I bet it was tossed around at some point in time, because it’s built on the same engine as RE7 engine. It’s built from the ground up, but I don’t think it was ever top running.” He then noted that, “We have toyed with things like the over the shoulder camera, old school corner camera, but again they went with over the shoulder because it felt right for this product.”

With the remake coming to Xbox One, PS4 and PC, is there any possibility of a Nintendo Switch version down the line? Lunn responded, “No, not at this time. We just wanted to focus on PS4, Xbox One, and PC at the moment.”

I'm sure they could add a first person mode relatively easily. After all, it was added to The Evil Within 2 many months after that game was released, even though that game isn't by Capcom. Maybe this is Capcom still being awkward about things yet again.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I hoping RE2 Remake sells really well, that we may see rise of 3rd person survival horror games. If I never see another god damn first person horror game that's mostly built for Youtubers for their crappy reaction videos it would be too soon.

Orta

Banned

Stunning. Edited for a clearer look....

DlyvrQ.jpg

Top Bottom