• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

After the remake comes and goes, and all the hype for it is squashed one way or another, I hope Capcom really does get back to making sequels. I'm still doubtful that they can do a game that has all their own originality behind it, and I still suspect that they have only been copying games because they have ran out of ideas that way and are not willing to even say so. But I'm not keen on remakes at all. Even if they turn out well, what is really the point of making them when it may not even further the story and is perhaps just a one-time thing for the fans?

For a long time, I feel that Capcom has done nothing but pad out the longevity of the franchise, whereas I think they ought to focus on what the future holds. That means making games set in this era, rather than returning to 1998 so constantly. Haven't you noticed that they often have did that? Even if they aren't making the games themselves, they are kind of still to blame for associating themselves with crap such as Umbrella Corps. Who honestly in their right mind would want anything to do with an abomination like that, anyway?

Just saying...

After the remake comes and goes, and all the hype for it is squashed one way or another, I hope Capcom really does get back to making sequels. I'm still doubtful that they can do a game that has all their own originality behind it, and I still suspect that they have only been copying games because they have ran out of ideas that way and are not willing to even say so. But I'm not keen on remakes at all. Even if they turn out well, what is really the point of making them when it may not even further the story and is perhaps just a one-time thing for the fans?

For a long time, I feel that Capcom has done nothing but pad out the longevity of the franchise, whereas I think they ought to focus on what the future holds. That means making games set in this era, rather than returning to 1998 so constantly. Haven't you noticed that they often have did that? Even if they aren't making the games themselves, they are kind of still to blame for associating themselves with crap such as Umbrella Corps. Who honestly in their right mind would want anything to do with an abomination like that, anyway?

Just saying...
What exactly are they copying with the remake? Not really getting the point. Also RE8 is still happening and it's a sequel. It's not like they stopped making sequels, it's just they are releasing a Remake over a meh relevations low budget spin off instead. You're right, they shouldn't have wasted time in the 1998 era with shit games like Operation Raccoon City. However, RE2 Remake is not a waste of time, the original remake was a fantastic game that reinvented what RE1 could be just like RE2 is doing. Hell it's not even a remaster they're making it quite new due to it being a reimagining.

That's a good move.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/resident-evil-2-dev-explains-why-they-arent-calling-it-a-remake

“It won’t be faithful one to one,” Lunn told GamingBolt when we asked him about what the nature of the upcoming remake is going to be. “For someone that’s played the game, some people played it once and some people played it a thousand times because it’s their favourite game. For the people that have even played it a thousand times, we wanted it to feel fresh. That’s why we don’t call it Resident Evil 2 Remake. It’s a new game built on top of the foundation.”

https://gamingbolt.com/resident-evil-2-dev-explains-why-they-arent-calling-it-a-remake

“It won’t be faithful one to one,” Lunn told GamingBolt when we asked him about what the nature of the upcoming remake is going to be. “For someone that’s played the game, some people played it once and some people played it a thousand times because it’s their favourite game. For the people that have even played it a thousand times, we wanted it to feel fresh. That’s why we don’t call it Resident Evil 2 Remake. It’s a new game built on top of the foundation.”
Yeah basically a reimagining. You can already tell by how they're handling the intro. Apparently Leon's campaign starts at the gas station which makes you think Claire's might start at the Diner. It's giving us a new take of RE2.

WarpedPixels

Neo Member
Looking forward to the interrogation room, that particular moment almost gave me a heart attack back in the day. Closest a game has come to replicating that in recent memory for me would be the calibration in Prey.

Hopefully Marvin has a larger role this time around, certainly feels like it from what we've seen so far.

Geki-D

Banned
Kanda: There are bathrooms.
What’s that?
Kanda: We have a restroom in our video game. [laughs]
Hirabayashi: People commented over the years that there were no bathrooms in the RPD where they go to go, but there are now bathrooms.

I feel like Yoshiaki Hirabayashi and Tsuyoshi Kanda meant for this to have more of an impact when they said this. They must have felt a little silly when the guy interviewing them clearly had no idea why they were pointing this out and laughing about it.

Don't worry guys, actual fans get it.

Last edited:

Shifty

It would be cool if enemies were randomly dotted around, rather than always in the same place, to add a new and terrifying feel to it.
As an 'arrange mode' type thing, sure, but the last thing I want out of mainline content in a survival horror game is the possibility of getting screwed by RNG.

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As an 'arrange mode' type thing, sure, but the last thing I want out of mainline content in a survival horror game is the possibility of getting screwed by RNG.
Jup, managing resources doesn't really work well with random enemies, so I hope that isn't introduced.

Drake

The funny thing about this game is that I didn't even hear about the initial announcement 4 years ago. This years E3 was the 1st I heard about it. I know a lot of RE fans have been dying for this and the wait has been brutal for them. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me.

I voted for Fixed Angles mainly because I miss them. OTS I like as well and as well as first person but I miss fixed the most.

Vote guys!

I highly recommend you avoid these two YouTubers: Renegade Operative and BioDevil_Dom. All they do is bash this guy called "Nemesis" who has a hyphen after his ID. They constantly make videos mocking the guy because he moans about how the Resident Evil series is nothing without Shinji Mikami. The guy does not use anything fancy to make his videos, yet he now has over 3K subs. Perhaps he got a lot of them from his previous Anime videos. Many of his videos are similar and while he mostly uploads videos about Resident Evil, he does occasionally do fan fiction and other gaming talk videos. The guy does repeat himself, but it's his channel. He can say whatever he wants. They even succeeded in getting the guy to turn against me after telling him what I'd been saying in the comments sections.

They are vitriolic. Seriously, though. This pettiness and schoolyard bullying mentality is why I honestly don't enjoy a lot of message boards or video hosting channels run by tossers anymore. Why does it matter if this random YouTuber screams into a mic, or makes theory type rants? Other people do that as well. Not everybody out there will agree with your opinions, but most sensible people know that they are just opinions. And when I kept defending the guy over this past month, they started doing videos about me too, saying I like "traps" because I said that liking transgender personnel ain't gay, and I said that it shouldn't matter about one's sexuality anyway. They even called me gay because I was talking about that other guy and not wearing a shirt a few times in my videos. Then they called me a woman beater because there's an admittance from me about an incident from 2006 on an Encyclopedia Dramatica article, that was founded by idiots like them, who love mocking the misdeeds of total strangers on the Internet.

And to make it more sad, one of them actually said that they will do '30 response videos' if the guy doesn't stop ranting. Do you see IGN and GameSpot calling out random YouTubers over what they say? This is why I don't appreciate people like that. It's a subjective matter in any case. Nobody has to watch the videos or even agree with people's own viewpoints. But here's a few of their videos about me and that other person.

Last edited:
what camera angle was it in the gameplay footage?

tumblr_nbefsk37VK1t46hado5_400.gif

This is fixed angles.

Last edited:
I still think Capcom has ran out of ideas. I'm not knocking the remake at all. Before they announced it, I felt that Capcom had been going downhill.

With that said, I like the new style very much. I still think I'll always prefer the original. But this game does look fab, in a modern way for new fans.

But after that, I hope they can do a real sequel again. One with zombies, but nothing like 5 and 6 were. Yeah, 5 had zombies. The DLC, I mean.

I still think Capcom has ran out of ideas. I'm not knocking the remake at all. Before they announced it, I felt that Capcom had been going downhill.

With that said, I like the new style very much. I still think I'll always prefer the original. But this game does look fab, in a modern way for new fans.

But after that, I hope they can do a real sequel again. One with zombies, but nothing like 5 and 6 were. Yeah, 5 had zombies. The DLC, I mean.
7 was a real sequel. It started a new type of infection that has unique attributes in the series and introduced a new group called "The Connection" and re-introduced Umbrella in a totally different way. Which will lead into 8 i'm sure. Sequels are still happening along with things like RE2 Remake.

The Skull

I thought that after 5/6 as the series strayed from their roots. I enjoy the action RE's, but don't feel or class them as real RE's. 7 was a gret return to form and a step forward. People have been requesting this remake for god knows how long though, and from the early footage it looks like they're gonna knock it out the park. I wish we were getting the classic ui instead of 7's though. I'd say RE is in good shape at the min, probabaly best it has been in years.

I know 7 was a horror game, but to me and a lot of people, it felt like a copy of other games and films. Namely, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Saw, Trancers, The Evil Dead and Silent Hill 2. Even if they brought back "Redfield" and Umbrella, it still didn't feel like a sequel. Maybe that's because the style was all different, or 'wrong' depending on your outlook. Chris does not even look like Chris any longer, due to the RE Engine. He looks like some young guy. Some young BSAA affiliate going to kick butt. Sorry, but that's a hard pill to swallow if you want every single Chris fan out there to believe that this was the series' original protagonist now being hooked up with a bunch of ill-fated weekend warriors. Besides, if you took out all the aforementioned connections, there would have been no resemblance or link at all to the rest of the series. He could at least mentioned losing Piers. Not to mention, his mission was choc-a-block with Resident Evil 4 style action again, although that would have been due to Chris being an actual veteran of the franchise.

7 is an odd fit. One that is very odd. This is why some people feel it was a Resident Evil game in name only. Other than fighting the Baker family, all you did was fight bugs and the Molded. There wasn't any zombies and other legendary creatures. Plus, the main character wasn't that likeable. He feels generic and I know he is a novice when it comes to fighting monsters, and yeah, I get that Capcom probably made him like that on purpose. However, he's not a character you'll talk about in 30 years from now like say, Barry, Jill, Wesker, Chris, Claire or Leon. Or even lesser-used characters like Rebecca, Sherry, Ada and all of these long term characters that have resurfaced in multiple games. Even Hunnigan had more of an impact on fans than Ethan did.

The thing is, don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to Capcom either. They have a horrible habit of bringing back characters and introducing stories that go nowhere. It's clear that the franchise is huge and Capcom makes a lot of dough from milking it. But as a fan of nearly 20 years, that's all they've been doing since 2009. After Wesker was killed off, they just gave us stand alone story after stand alone story, that had no follow-up.

I know 7 was a horror game, but to me and a lot of people, it felt like a copy of other games and films. Namely, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Saw, Trancers, The Evil Dead and Silent Hill 2. Even if they brought back "Redfield" and Umbrella, it still didn't feel like a sequel. Maybe that's because the style was all different, or 'wrong' depending on your outlook. Chris does not even look like Chris any longer, due to the RE Engine. He looks like some young guy. Some young BSAA affiliate going to kick butt. Sorry, but that's a hard pill to swallow if you want every single Chris fan out there to believe that this was the series' original protagonist now being hooked up with a bunch of ill-fated weekend warriors. Besides, if you took out all the aforementioned connections, there would have been no resemblance or link at all to the rest of the series. He could at least mentioned losing Piers. Not to mention, his mission was choc-a-block with Resident Evil 4 style action again, although that would have been due to Chris being an actual veteran of the franchise.

7 is an odd fit. One that is very odd. This is why some people feel it was a Resident Evil game in name only. Other than fighting the Baker family, all you did was fight bugs and the Molded. There wasn't any zombies and other legendary creatures. Plus, the main character wasn't that likeable. He feels generic and I know he is a novice when it comes to fighting monsters, and yeah, I get that Capcom probably made him like that on purpose. However, he's not a character you'll talk about in 30 years from now like say, Barry, Jill, Wesker, Chris, Claire or Leon. Or even lesser-used characters like Rebecca, Sherry, Ada and all of these long term characters that have resurfaced in multiple games. Even Hunnigan had more of an impact on fans than Ethan did.

The thing is, don't put all your eggs in one basket when it comes to Capcom either. They have a horrible habit of bringing back characters and introducing stories that go nowhere. It's clear that the franchise is huge and Capcom makes a lot of dough from milking it. But as a fan of nearly 20 years, that's all they've been doing since 2009. After Wesker was killed off, they just gave us stand alone story after stand alone story, that had no follow-up.
Hate to break it to you but RE was always influenced heavily by other films and games. Hell RE1 being influenced by Night of the Living dead, and in terms of games Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark. Movie references and influences can be seen throughout the series, you got some terminator, you have some Psycho, you have some Jaws.....RE4 took a lot of gameplay elements from a variety of games too.

In terms of RE7 specifically. This is no different than what RE4 did to the series, it changes up the style with changing the camera system and changing how the gameplay works. Ironically RE7 is much closer to the old games and how they worked gameplay wise. RE4 and RE7 took the stories in new directions, they are both kinda considered a new starting point and I imagine RE8 will continue what RE7 started just like RE5 kinda continued RE4's style and story ideas.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hate to break it to you but RE was always influenced heavily by other films and games. Hell RE1 being influenced by Night of the Living dead, and in terms of games Sweet Home and Alone in the Dark. Movie references and influences can be seen throughout the series, you got some terminator, you have some Psycho, you have some Jaws.....RE4 took a lot of gameplay elements from a variety of games too.

In terms of RE7 specifically. This is no different than what RE4 did to the series, it changes up the style with changing the camera system and changing how the gameplay works. Ironically RE7 is much closer to the old games and how they worked gameplay wise. RE4 and RE7 took the stories in new directions, they are both kinda considered a new starting point and I imagine RE8 will continue what RE7 started just like RE5 kinda continued RE4's style and story ideas.

". Ironically RE7 is much closer to the old games and how they worked gameplay wise "

OMFG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Many gamers don't understand this, I find that only OG RE fans are able to see this. limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles, 2 large maps etc I agree too, I see RE8 going with what RE7 started and even maybe having an option for both camera angles ala Fallout / Elder Scrolls series if they can, but either way, if it still has that old school RE gameplay, I'M IN! RE7 is in my top 5 favorite horror games of all time. They did a great job with that game.

kunonabi

". Ironically RE7 is much closer to the old games and how they worked gameplay wise "

OMFG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! Many gamers don't understand this, I find that only OG RE fans are able to see this. limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles, 2 large maps etc I agree too, I see RE8 going with what RE7 started and even maybe having an option for both camera angles ala Fallout / Elder Scrolls series if they can, but either way, if it still has that old school RE gameplay, I'M IN! RE7 is in my top 5 favorite horror games of all time. They did a great job with that game.

RE7 has superficial similarities to the old games but it doesnt really play like them. It feels like a modernized, and shittier, version of the clock tower series with more action than it does old RE.

Vawn

Banned
I just hate how fanboys elsewhere defend Capcom, when people should know by now that Capcom lies to the fans, half-bake games, and milk stuff.

I hate how some people are so cynical and jaded that not only do they refuse to see the good in anything, but get legitimately upset when others do.

Capcom has made many of my favorite games across so many genres. Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Okami, Breath of Fire and Dragon's Dogma.

And as much as I hated the direction RE was going with 5 and especially 6, I was blown away with RE7.

Street Fighter V is the best fighter out there.

Okami, despite feeling like value of three full games, is still only $19.99 on PS4, XB1 and Switch.

Mega Man 11 is looking amazing.

So, sorry, I'm a fan of Capcom and I'll continue to be. Resident Evil 2 is my most anticipated game in years.

Last edited:
RE7 has superficial similarities to the old games but it doesnt really play like them. It feels like a modernized, and shittier, version of the clock tower series with more action than it does old RE.
Superficial? It has the same core gameplay pillars that the original games had. Inventory management, hub-based level design, decision-based fight or flight gameplay, item boxes.

I never claimed it's as complex as the classic games. What I said was it's closer to the old games than RE4/5/6 which is a fact based on the gameplay structure and how it works.

T thesaunderschild

I fully expect RE8 to continue the first person direction. RE7 sold 5 million in a little over a year and got fantastic reviews while being a single player survival horror game. I see no reason for them to abandon the first person ship yet. Especially since RE2 Remake will satisfy the third person perspective.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I hate how some people are so cynical and jaded that not only do they refuse to see the good in anything, but get legitimately upset when others do.

Capcom has made many of my favorite games across so many genres. Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Okami, Breath of Fire and Dragon's Dogma.

And as much as I hated the direction RE was going with 5 and especially 6, I was blown away with RE7.

Okami, despite feeling like value of three full games, is still only $19.99 on PS4, XB1 and Switch.

So, sorry, I'm a fan of Capcom and I'll continue to be. Resident Evil 2 is my most anticipated game in years.

Dont forget Wonderful games like Haunting Ground, SNES Disney, Monster Hunter and Arcade games.

I want to thank Capcom for Bring RE Engine, thats look amazing and throw the MT Framework Engine that was a Crap Engine.

EDMIX

"doesnt really play like them"

It plays exactly like them, just the opposite. The change in view is SUPERFICIAL, the gameplay is core Resident Evil, like I stated " limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles, 2 large maps etc"

So its more like the older RE then less and even more like RE then RE4-6 ie the ones that basically lacked " limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles" etc More action then old RE? lolz ok pal. Its very survival at its deep core, if it was "more action" they would not be limiting your ammo, weapons and health.

EDMIX

"And as much as I hated the direction RE was going with 5 and especially 6, I was blown away with RE7."

SAME! 100 % agreed! I was mad that RE4 wasn't just a spin off as they could have just named it something else like a RE action series and kept the old formula for the other fans. RE2 proves it didn't need to be an either or. RE7 IS THE RESIDENT EVIL CLASSIC CONCEPT! So folks can keep spewing FPS as much as they want, but RE has always been about WHAT YOU DO, not about its perspective. Over the shoulder vs fixed camera is not why I'm mad at RE4-6, REMOVING limited ammo, saves, health, puzzles, item boxes etc is why I'm mad at those 3 games. I could care less what it looks like as I play RE to play it, not look at it.

RE7 is easily one of the best RE's they've released as it IS the old formula, so RE8 can be FPS, can be TPS.....so long as it has the damn formula of the older games, I don't care. I never get this strange obsession with folks who look at RE more then actually play, if being in FPS makes someone not play RE, they were not fans of RE in the first place, they are fans of looking at people's backs.....

I agree 100% with you on RE2 as well, I get Capcom has made many, many mistakes, but Monster Hunter World, Mega Man 11, DMC5, RE7 and RE2....it shows they are trying, they clearly have learned something if we are seeing this from them. I'd argue the biggest Capcom fans are the most vocal about how much we hate how the publisher has been performing.

Kreydo

I just hate how fanboys elsewhere defend Capcom, when people should know by now that Capcom lies to the fans, half-bake games, and milk stuff.
I think you mistaken them with SquareEnix.

On this generation Capcom is the only dev/publisher that create AAA Survival Horror type game, Capcom is the only dev/publisher that create AAA competitive Versus Fighting game.
There is no fanboys or haters 'debate' here.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Dont forget Wonderful games like Haunting Ground, SNES Disney, Monster Hunter and Arcade games.

I want to thank Capcom for Bring RE Engine, thats look amazing and throw the MT Framework Engine that was a Crap Engine.

Yeah, how did I leave out Monster Hunter. I spent 250 hours with World and loved it all.

Capcom does so many vastly different styles of great games that I almost forget they're coming out of the same family of studios.

There is no "Capcom formula" that they reuse multiple times a year across several annualized franchises like a couple other major publishers.

Last edited:

Atra Mors

Neo Member
This is looking great.

Why can't Nomura and company do something similar for the Final Fantasy VII Remake instead of going the tedious/convoluted route with it?

Honestly, I just don't think people like hearing it, but I'll reiterate it anyway. What the hell did 7 have to do with the other games? So, yeah, Umbrella is back. We found that out. The game didn't look nor even really play like a sequel. I guess one could argue that it has a "new" style, but it's still not able to hold a candle to the original games. Like even the first game is more memorable than what they do now. That's a game from 1996. There's a lot of people who are adults now who were like a kid or teenager back then, but they still love that the franchise was meaningful back then. All Capcom does now is milk games. I'm sure that's why they are even doing the remake. If they didn't do remakes, they would just do sequels and spin off titles that copy other trends. Because in all honesty, that's all they've really been doing since either 2005 or 2009. I'm wise to all of that now.

Vawn

Banned
Honestly, I just don't think people like hearing it, but I'll reiterate it anyway. What the hell did 7 have to do with the other games? So, yeah, Umbrella is back. We found that out. The game didn't look nor even really play like a sequel. I guess one could argue that it has a "new" style, but it's still not able to hold a candle to the original games. Like even the first game is more memorable than what they do now. That's a game from 1996. There's a lot of people who are adults now who were like a kid or teenager back then, but they still love that the franchise was meaningful back then. All Capcom does now is milk games. I'm sure that's why they are even doing the remake. If they didn't do remakes, they would just do sequels and spin off titles that copy other trends. Because in all honesty, that's all they've really been doing since either 2005 or 2009. I'm wise to all of that now.

Resident Evil 1 may be my favorite game of all time. RE7 is the closest to the original game in the series despite looking so different on the surface.

I adore RE7 and I never expected that after I had all but given up on the franchise after 5 and 6.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/resident-evil-2-will-feature-enhanced-narrative-compared-to-the-original

“For example, there will be places in the original game, that you just drove by, or maybe just walked by, or people that you talk to maybe had a handful of sentences. You’re really going to have deeper experiences with those. Sometimes you can actually go on and play for an extended period. Sometimes you have a little bit deeper story with that person. They’re more involved than they were in the previous game. The narrative is definitely enhanced, but I can’t get into what those are, obviously.”

EDMIX

"What the hell did 7 have to do with the other games?" Umbrella is the company that infected the family...

" The game didn't look nor even really play like a sequel " Look? Um....no RE really looks like the last, consider the engine is a new engine, was it suppose to be the same old one from PS1 to be a "real RE" game or ? If you mean perspective, RE has been in FP before and FP is not "new" even remotely and thats not really relevant to the gameplay. So when you say "nor even play" what are you specifically talking about exactly? ie give examples please.

Like this, limited ammo, limited health, limited weapons, puzzles, item boxes etc. "first game is more memorable" subjective....

"the franchise was meaningful back then" again subjective, is your whole argument a emotional nostalgia fest or?

"All Capcom does now is milk games" how is this relevant? Its starting to sound like your issue with RE7 is that of an emotional one and not a logical one. I hearing this whole "memorable" this and that and not enough actual real detail regarding the actual GAME PLAY of RE7. I liked the old ones too, I played them at launch, RE7 is very much a RE game as the gameplay supports the concept of the original games MORE then RE4-6. The remakes you see from Capcom are not either ors either, so this whole "if they didn't do remakes" doesn't make sense, the team making RE2 remake is the team that just did the Zero remaster, NOT 100% OF THE CORE RE7 team, that team is making RE8 likely.

Whats funny, is by your logic, how on earth did we get RE 2002 AND Outbreak? Or Zero AND 4? or Revelations AND 5? or RE2002 remaster and Zero remaster AND 7? Are you really telling me you didn't even know they had many RE teams ie more then one? You really think that RE2 is happening INSTEAD of RE8 or something? lol

How about both as history has shown us (and facts) that they own many teams and do many RE game at once. No either or here, we can have both concepts and have had many RE teams for an extremely long time.

Capcom is doing more established concepts now based on wasting money on RE6 last gen btw, it basically almost bankrupted the company. RE7 was cheaper to make and focused on core RE concepts and not some Gears Of War clone costing the company damn near COD budget numbers. So I don't see them as copying any "Trends" they made Resident Evil, how can they copy themselves? RE7 is the closest thing to the old Resident Evils since Zero.

Top Bottom