• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Resident Evil 2 Remake trailer

CallMehChip

Neo Member
As a very big fan of the original, I didnt think they did too bad with it so far. My biggest gripe with it right now, is definitely the altered appearances.

Aaron Olive

[/QUOTE]
Amazing how far graphics have advanced over the past 20 years, just glancing at the right you'd think it was a real photo.

Looks nice, however, I really hope they add more punch to the weapon sounds, it souns like a bb gun.

The camera seems like its also gonna be a huge issue, but ill judge that when I get my hands on it.

Aggelos

According to that interview the game directors are
Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Kazunori_Kadoi
http://residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Yasuhiro_Ampo

=========================================================================================================================
Here are the facts:

This is the RE2Remake dev team. On the front row you can see : in the middle Yasuhiro Anpo and right next to the left of his, Kazunori Kadoi

DfflEbYVMAAEZVr.jpg:large

So it is the 20-year anniversary of Resident Evil this year. I was wondering, for this remake did you end up consulting a lot of the people who were on the original team?

Hirabayashi: Yeah, well we are not just consulting people from the original team, some of them are on our production team. So there's two directors on the game, and one of them is someone who was working on the original Resident Evil 2, and our boss is also someone who dates back to the RE2 project. So we've got direct involvement with key staff members, and that is really helping us make sure we're respecting the original game in the way we should.

Kanda: The other director has actually been on the series since Resident Evil 1, so we've got some great veterans on the team.

https://www.gameinformer.com/interv...2s-producers-on-new-areas-and-scarier-zombies

Back in 2016 Hideki Kamiya told Polygon that he wasn't the director of the remake. Rather a friend of his told him that he was placed as the director. According to Kamiya's descriptions Kazunori Kadoi fits the bill.
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,78879/
"No, I'm not directly involved [in the Resident Evil 2 remake]," Kamiya told Polygon in an interview at E3 last week. "But the director of the remake is actually somebody who joined Capcom the same year that I did.
"We worked closely together on the Resident Evil design team. We were both game designers.
When [Resident Evil 2] started, I went to direct that game. He went and worked on Mega Man Legends. We go out drinking now and again, and one time he was like, 'By the way I'm directing the remake of RE2.' I was like, 'What? You're doing what?!' After I heard that, I felt like ... we need to go drinking some more."

Capcom hasn't announced who's directing the Resident Evil 2 remake, but based on Kamiya's comments, it's possible that Kazunori Kadoi, a designer on Resident Evil and Mega Man Legends, is leading that effort.

https://www.polygon.com/2016/6/20/11982568/resident-evil-2-remake-director-hideki-kamiya-capcom

A picture of Kazunori Kadoi published in the BIOHAZARD REVELATIONS 2 ULTIMANIA guide (circa late 2014)

Last edited:
I still wouldn't call Resident Evil 7: Biohazard a classic game, but it's okay.
It's not a classic game it just came out but it's the closest to the classic games in terms of gameplay. I don't know how that can be disputed, the gameplay structure is right out of the classic games books. You have save room points with item boxes/inventory management, and manual save areas. There's limited ammo, there's hub based exploration. Enemies don't drop ammo or healing items those are found, it even has ammo crafting from RE3 and Jack's stalking element is very much like Nemesis in RE3.

To act like it's not like a classic entry is just innaccurate. It doesn't feel like a sequel to RE4-6 ? Well no duh they moved away from the action direction and returned to the oldschool direction. Story wise it is definitely continuing the story but a new branch of the story. Umbrella's new function, The Connection, Chris Redfield, the new molded infection. It's the same thing they did with RE4 where they introduced new story elements with familiar elements too.

-MD-

Revelations 2 director terrifies me but the demo looked so good I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Revelations 2 director terrifies me but the demo looked so good I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
To be fair there's two directors. Anpo which is Revelations 2 and RE5's director ( which btw worked on the original RE2 as a programmer ) and Kadoi who worked on camera systems for the original RE.

Revelations 2 was actually one of the better entries as of late. I don't get how people love 7, but they knock a real sequel. That's really strange to me...

Revelations 2 was actually one of the better entries as of late. I don't get how people love 7, but they knock a real sequel. That's really strange to me...
We've explained why over and over. If you don't like it that's fine but no need to keep repeating something after we've told you specific details.

EDMIX

Huh? Revelations 2 lacked just as many features from the old Resident Evils as 4,5,6 etc.

People love RE7 because of limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles, 2 large maps etc

A lot of that was actually not in Revelations 1 or 2.

All of that was in RE7.

I don't really get why you are not actually stating in detail what you are talking about and being vague. ie "one of the better" ? Ummm ok. Subjective, GO INTO DETAIL, prove your point. So saying "real sequel" doesn't really help your point. Many of us are telling you pretty clearly, with detail and examples why the old school RE fans actually like RE 7. ie limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, return of puzzles, 2 large maps......

The ode is upon you to give the detail and examples of why RE7 isn't a legit Resident Evil game. That isn't even based on liking the game, heck I didn't like Resident Evil 3, but that doesn't mean its not a classic, doesn't mean its not a Resident Evil game as it has all the feature to logically list as a RE game.

Yet, when you got full action, remove limited ammo, weapons, health, item boxes, puzzles, liner globe trotting maps etc technically speaking, that is basically removing the actual features of Resident Evil and simply having a action game "named" Resident Evil. So to many of us old school RE fans, excuse us if we consider Resident Evil by the damn features features in RE1,2,3, Code Veronica, Zero, Outbreak 1, 2 etc

That isn't even saying RE4-6 or Revelations 1-2 are bad games, simply that they are missing ENOUGH features to question why they have them as numbered entries and not side games, at least Revelations has the subtitle to justfiy some side series or something, but RE4-6 should have been just called something else JUST like Outbreak, JUST like Revelations. TOO many features are removed to really call it RE when the only thing they kept was the name and characters.

So RE7 factually JUST by the list of features is the true RE Zero sequel as after that game, we basically stopped getting that survival horror concept. READ why RE7 is called the REAL RE4 by many fans, it has everything to do with the actual game play. If seeing it in first person make you think its not RE, maybe PLAY RE vs just looking at it. Perspective is a subjective concept, factual features are not. You play RE, you don't simply just solely look at the game.

So if you place a guy in a house, looking for his wife and shooting silly looking monsters, and have "Shemp Redfield," that's a sequel = money grab!
I'm starting to think you don't read posts at all.

For a lot of fans RE4/5/6 moved AWAY from the classic gameplay style people loved, RE7 brought a lot of that back. I know personally I don't care if RE7 continues RE6's story because RE6's story was over the top and dumb. RE7 started a new thread that will most likely be continued in 8 just like RE4 did but this time with gameplay that resembles the old games. Chris Redfield isn't the only connective tissue, Umbrella is too btw. They've been teasing Umbrella's return game after game after game. RE7 is taking that idea and running with it.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
So if you place a guy in a house, looking for his wife and shooting silly looking monsters, and have "Shemp Redfield," that's a sequel = money grab!

Did you actually even play RE7. The more you say, the less it sounds like it.

RE7 is the closest to the original spirit of the original since at least 3. I can make a case it's closer to RE1 than even 2, 3 and Veronica.

Let's get off the RE7 topic. Haters gonna hate.

Let's just be blown away by this awesome shot of a foot coming off in RE2 and a zombie balancing on a bone..

Airola

That isn't even saying RE4-6 or Revelations 1-2 are bad games, simply that they are missing ENOUGH features to question why they have them as numbered entries and not side games, at least Revelations has the subtitle to justfiy some side series or something, but RE4-6 should have been just called something else JUST like Outbreak, JUST like Revelations. TOO many features are removed to really call it RE when the only thing they kept was the name and characters.

I kinda agree with you here on the general gist of what a "real" Resident Evil should be and that RE4-6 could've and perhaps even should've been spin-offs instead of actual sequels to the mainline series.
However, I very strongy feel RE7 should've been part of the Resident Evil Survivor series.

I kinda agree with you here on the general gist of what a "real" Resident Evil should be and that RE4-6 could've and perhaps even should've been spin-offs instead of actual sequels to the mainline series.
However, I very strongy feel RE7 should've been part of the Resident Evil Survivor series.
Being first person doesn't make it any less a mainline RE. People need to stop treating a camera as more important than the vital gameplay of the game. RE has gone from a fixed camera game, to an OTS game.....they're both third person but VERY different styles in terms of presentation but that didn't make it any less a RE. If people can accept games like RE4-6 as RE despite them radically changing how the gameplay works, than people should be able to accept RE7 which stays true to the gameplay but only changes the visual presentation.

IMO

Last edited:

Airola

Being first person doesn't make it any less a mainline RE. People need to stop treating a camera as more important than the vital gameplay of the game. RE has gone from a fixed camera game, to an OTS game.....they're both third person but VERY different styles in terms of presentation but that didn't make it any less a RE. If people can accept games like RE4-6 as RE despite them radically changing how the gameplay works, than people should be able to accept RE7 which stays true to the gameplay but only changes the visual presentation.

IMO

The context for me saying RE7 should be part of the Survivor series is that I think RE4-6 perhaps should've been spin-off series too.
The first Resident Evil Survivor on PS1 already gave us a first person survival horror game. Why not let RE7 be part of that line of Resident Evil games?

It's kinda like how there are the original Super Mario Bros. games and then there is Mario 64 and others. Even Nintendo themselves made a distinction between the Super Mario Galaxy games and Mario 64 and Sunshine when they revealed Odyssey. And they clearly have the New Super Mario series thought of as a separate thing from the original Super Mario Bros. games.

As a side not I personally liked Resident Evil Survivor waaaay more than Resident Evil Revelations and I think Survivor was much more "real" Resident Evil game than Revelations was.

I would actually love it if every spin-off title would be part of the mainline series. Like, for example Resident Evil 4 would be something like Resident Evil 10 because of all the different Resident Evil titles appearing before. But as we don't have that I think it would've been interesting to see 4-6 as their own RE series and 7 continuing the Survivor line up of games.

I still havent played Revelations 1 or 2, and i havent finished part 7. I stopped playing and forgot about it. Bad fan I am. I'll probably beat RE2 Remake before i beat RE7 lol. I think the first person is cool, but i still prefer my RE games at third person.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ugh is this thing EVER going to go up for pre-order? In the UK, I check often on Amazon for the boxed Xbox version. Fed up of seeing PS4 everywhere, or digital on PS4... I get it, Sony are in bed with capcom on this one, that’s fine. But I’m throwing my damn money at the monitor here buys!

Last edited:

LUXURY

Because Resident Evil 2 is dear to my heart, I have to get this. Gamestop doesn't charge until the release for pre-orders, right?

Because Resident Evil 2 is dear to my heart, I have to get this. Gamestop doesn't charge until the release for pre-orders, right?

Yeah... that is how i feel about RE2 as well. I'm still trying to decide. Ive already ordered the Deluxe using Bestbuy's GCU discount which thankfully i still have. If only Leon and Claire were both in there it could have justified the 200 dollars plus tax and shipment cost... with that said, there's a chance i may still order it.

Geki-D

Banned
Claire looked pretty iffy in the original RE2, so they could only improve. She was never going to look too similar to what she did.

Geki-D

Banned
Ugh is this thing EVER going to go up for pre-order? In the UK, I check often on Amazon for the boxed Xbox version. Fed up of seeing PS4 everywhere, or digital on PS4... I get it, Sony are in bed with capcom on this one, that’s fine. But I’m throwing my damn money at the monitor here buys!
You know, if you owned a PS4, you'd have the game pre-ordered by now.
242374.jpg

HeresJohnny

RE2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I feel like a dick, but I just preordered that ridiculous Collector's Edition lol.

So I take it Johnny came marching home with his RE2 remake copy then. Ha-ha. :cool:

But it does look like a great collector's edition. I love that musical replica of the Baker's house you got with the box set out almost 2 years ago. :geek:

Top Bottom