• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Sony E3 2018 Conference Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

How would you rate the Sony E3 2018 Conference?

• A

Votes: 67 15.6%
  • B

Votes: 119 27.7%
  • C

Votes: 138 32.1%
  • D

Votes: 61 14.2%
  • F

Votes: 34 7.9%
  • My attention span is too low for all these venue swaps

Votes: 11 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

demigod

Well all that gameplay was heavily scripted prerecorded videos for cinematic effect. It's not like they played them live on stage.

Scripted but it was in game gameplay unlike Halo and Battletoads. Hell ms conference was scripted too.

do we know if Control (Quantum break 2) is an exclusive or not yet ?

Control, the sequel to Quantum Break that MS did not want to fund, heh. No its not exclusive.

WaterAstro

Scripted but it was in game gameplay unlike Halo and Battletoads. Hell ms conference was scripted too.
Lol MS fans talk about scripted. That Forza Horizon 4 segment was so scripted. They just had people standing around looking at pre-recorded video being played. It was so fake. There is no way that the part was so perfectly done with all their stunts. So fake.

Sony didn't fake someone standing on stage looking like they're playing the game.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Every AI is scripted for E3. You can't expect them to run the game with actual AI running otherwise it will take forever for the game to finish.

demigod

Sony's exclusives is still miles ahead of Microsoft's, but E3 conference for Microsoft's was much better and more enjoyable than's Sony's

when i watch E3 i expect new announcement instead of just gameplay for already revealed games, and that's what Microsoft did at this E3, sadly most of it's conference was leaked so that heavily effected the element of surprise or else it could have been one of the best conferences alongside Sony's E3 2015 and 2016

You on crack son? What was “mindblown” at the ms conference? Was it halo? Forza? Or was it the 3 gears?

Justin9mm

I own an xbox i saw many games coming out for my console as they will play on my xbox one x. I dont care if u can get them on other platforms or who made them, why would that matter?

Its like saying Sony should only use Sony movies to sell a blue ray player.. the ability to play games is the important thing not who makes them or if other platforms can have them or not.

It matters because the conference is about what Microsoft can bring to the table which wasn't much. I'm not saying Sony's was great but at least they focused more on what games 'they' were doing, not trying to secure the rights to show off every new multiplat title and pretend like it's all because of Xbox.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How can someone find enjoyment in a single player story driven game?

First, let me remind some people that Last of Us is a single player game, which also featured multiplayer.

People who criticize Sony's story driven games want to make you believe that it automatically means the gameplay is terrible. What I've seen with the Last of Us II gameplay video was no short of a masterpiece. Sure, some parts may have been scripted, but based on Naughty Dog's track record, you're going to see a lot of that in the actual game. Having great gameplay is nice, but I also want a story that's going to captivate me.

An adventure game is about a journey. if the plot is weak, then I'm going to be less motivated to move forward. Naughty Dog has created many memorable characters and that comes with good story writing.

Lort

Banned
It matters because the conference is about what Microsoft can bring to the table which wasn't much. I'm not saying Sony's was great but at least they focused more on what games 'they' were doing, not trying to secure the rights to show off every new multiplat title and pretend like it's all because of Xbox.
Have you ever watched a e3 conference before? They have always had multiplatforms at the conferences and its great that the industry is so mature almost all games are multiplatform. It was Sonys choice to limit the number ( but they still did show multi platforms anyway). Very odd you seem to be complaining about something that every platform holder has always done.

pr0cs

Yeesh, probably the worst showing Sony had in a long time. The whole event was a disjointed mess, including a lot of the trailers.
Only really interested in tlou2 and maybe ghosts though I'm not sold on the combat. I love sucker punch so I'll reserve judgment until I see /read more.

Pretty disappointed, I really think they dropped the ball this year all around

Norse

You mean like Sony did for every big multiplat game the past year or so? Seemed like every multiplat commercial on TV had the PS logo and sound. Outside of Madden of course.

MayauMiao

Huh..

ZHJmvV5.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I own an xbox i saw many games coming out for my console as they will play on my xbox one x. I dont care if u can get them on other platforms or who made them, why would that matter?

Its like saying Sony should only use Sony movies to sell a blue ray player.. the ability to play games is the important thing not who makes them or if other platforms can have them or not.

I don't know why people are having such a difficult time understanding what's going on.

Microsoft biggest problem this generation are their games. The past two years haven't been great, and they still haven't shown many games going into 2019 that are going to sell people on the Xbox brand. Sony on the other hand has released many games so far that have sold well and now they're going release spider-man in a few months followed by Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US 2, Shenmu 3, MLB 19 and Death Stranding. People are saying "I like MS games" that's fine, but they're still lacking when it comes to compelling exclusives.

People are still going to complain about MS lack of games within the next year and that's a problem.

GenericUser

I'm personally only interested in RE2, the rest of the games seemed to put cinematic experience first, gameplay second. Not fond of that. Tsushima looks bland and generic, compared to whats FROM has been cooking up with sekiro. Superhero games don't interest me, TloU pt. 2 looks like a solid rental, or sub 15 bucks title.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
I don't know why people are having such a difficult time understanding what's going on.

Microsoft biggest problem this generation are their games. The past two years haven't been great, and they still haven't shown many games going into 2019 that are going to sell people on the Xbox brand. Sony on the other hand has released many games so far that have sold well and now they're going release spider-man in a few months followed by Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of US 2, Shenmu 3, MLB 19 and Death Stranding. People are saying "I like MS games" that's fine, but they're still lacking when it comes to compelling exclusives.

People are still going to complain about MS lack of games within the next year and that's a problem.
Give it some time for the dust to settle and it'll sink in with them.
People are still high on all the games announced at MS's conference, but if you already take a look at that thread about MS's actual exclusives, it's apparent that a lot of people's minds got clouded by MS's clever PR.

This has been Sony's worst conference by far in terms of presentation, but in their defence, their competition has close to nothing to compete with them, so it isn't exactly strange that Sony came up with this bare-minimum conference.
Let's be honest, TLOU2 gameplay alone gives all of MS's exclusives combined a run for their money.

Still, I somewhat regret watching this at 3am. lol

I loved what I saw of Last of Us and Ghost of Tsushima!

Ghost of Tsushima suprised me. I was not expecting to like the direction they are going do much.

I've played all the Suckerpunch games. And hand 2 hand combat has not really been thier strong point up until now. They were usually very basic and button mashy. But this looks incredible and tactical! A very welcome suprise for me. Also just stunning beautiful.

These are like my #1 & #2 most anticipated games now. So just from the strength of those 2 this conference gets a 10/10 from me.

Also Re2 and that Remedy game look very very cool. Microsoft, you should have bought Remedy when you had a chance!! Now thats a studio with talent.

Krixeus

I never would have thought I'd see Dennis Rodman trending on Twitter...

Also, only 20 pages? I figured there would be less activity here compared to previous years, but I didn't think it'd be this much of a ghost town...

Highlights for me for this conference were Last of Us Part 2, Insomniac's Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushima.

Fox Mulder

Sony has amazing exclusives, got me to sell my Xbox one, but I don't care about extended gameplay during the main conferences. Every gaming site will have extended looks of these games this week and I'll play the games myself if it looks amazing.

I get way more buzz off rapid fire trailers and shock announcements. MS had more of those, even if they were third party stuff I can get on my PS4.

Justin9mm

I'm talking ab
You mean like Sony did for every big multiplat game the past year or so? Seemed like every multiplat commercial on TV had the PS logo and sound. Outside of Madden of course.

I'm talking strictly about the Conference not general Marketing.

The whole e3 was a fucking disappointment, it was nearly the same was the 2017 e3 with new videos of exclusives. From software new game looks good, and cyberpunk 2077.

Psykodad

Banned
If your a fanboy maybe. They didn't really show anything mindblowing.
I thought ghost of t... was way more interesting than TLOU2
Sure, the "fanboy"-card.

The gameplay shown, even if scripted, has been far more substantial than anything shown at MS' conference as far as exclusives are concerned.
Not to mention that the production values, graphics, animations, sound and overall details take a huge dump on anything that MS came up with.

And then there's Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima (Spider-man was extremely meh imo).

You don't need to be a "fanboy" of anything to see that when it comes to straight up exclusives, Sony got MS against the ropes.

Now, if we talk solely about the presentations themselves, MS blew Sony out of the water. Hands-down.

Last edited:

Bungie

I've been tuning into pre-shows all weekend, the fact Sony thought having one during the conference is the only mind blowing thing about it.

Andyliini

I'm glad I didn't stay up yesterday watching this. I'm gatching up now and so far this has been a complete waste of time. Not a single game from this showcase has interested me and I doubt it improves anymore. Just third person action games, one after another, long snd bloated gameplay segments not to mention a pre-show during it.

Seriously, only EA had a worse showcase this year.

Petrae

Like Bethesda’s presentation, the incredibly shitty first half was partially redeemed by a strong second half.

The format was awful. Why there’s this continued push to waste everyone’s time with musical performances is beyond me. That shit needs to end. Combine two way-too-long performances with a brutally awkward “intermission”— which doubled as a commercial break— and the first half of the show earned a solid F. Yeah, Last of Us II and Ghost of Tsushima looked fantastic, but these could’ve been shown with far less table-setting.

After the Tsushima trailer, things picked up. No more time-wasting. RE2make looks great, and the Spidey stuff moved me toward buying the game.

Grade: C.

Mohlman

Neo Member
Disappointing E3 by Sony...

No real "Wow" moments.

Still confused as to what Death Stranding is...

Although TLOU2, GoS, and Spiderman look fantastic!

Would've like to have seen some more "World Premieres".

Typhares

Death strending looks neat, spiderman is a must buy for me looks like.
I don't like the format of the conference but the games are there for sure!
Edit: Solid B for me.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

F for me... Only 2 games mildly interest me and I can wait for a 30$ sale since they are single player games (TLOU2 and GoT). No Dreams, no Bluepoint, no indies. Wasted 2h of my night for that...

Hayfield

Banned
So refreshing to see no ambiguity around the release platform of games in an attempt to bolster a poor lineup after the shady talk of the MS conference. And of course any conference without the master of speaking corporate bollocks that sounds substantial but really means fuck all (Looking at you Phil) is a bonus for me.

Fitzchiv

Let's face it, a hobo with Sony pencilled on his forehead could have stumbled out and done a shit on the stage and the results of this poll and thread would be the same.

I own a PS4 and, TLOU2 aside, there's nothing in this fabled exclusive list that makes me see anything other than a hobo turd. If my PS4 bricked tomorrow I'd probably pick up an XBX instead, safe in the knowledge for the next 2-3yrs I'll get to experience most of the games I really want to play, in the best possible way.

MS is clearly positioning for the future, and Sony capitalising on the present and the huge good will their more zealot-like fans have.

MS's conference had me more excited about playing games.

Dunki

The format in the beginning was really strange and I think it was not worth it th games however were fantastic even death stranding got more confusing. I give it an 8 because of the games I will prob all buy and unlike ms they were exclusive

MS showing was pretty much without substance though, a Gears and Halo that's not coming anytime soon. A battletoads game that would be better off not being announced, not even a screen. Lots of multiplatform games that's coming to every platform, another Forza Horizon game. DLC for games that either run bad or review bad and has been released. PUBG and SOT.

I saw 4 games that have great graphics, saw gameplay for each, one lands this year...and it seems people are actually hyped for the multiplat shown in RE2...Even remedy's game made the cut to the Sony conference. Here's the thing, there's only one place to play Spiderman this year, but if I want my racing thrill, I can pick up the Crew 2 or many others, so Horizon is not a must have game for the holidays like Spiderman will be...
Break the cycle and say one positive thing about MS. I dare ye.

Didn't even watch it, so I can't rate it - but judging by news articles, it seems like they just showed 4 games people already know about and not much else?? That's pitiful if true tbh, no point even turning up - could've just released those gameplay trailers on YouTube and be done with it.

Dunki

Didn't even watch it, so I can't rate it - but judging by news articles, it seems like they just showed 4 games people already know about and not much else?? That's pitiful if true tbh, no point even turning up - could've just released those gameplay trailers on YouTube and be done with it.
they showed more even complete new games like nioh2 or control these 4. Games however had long demos.

Pallas

Gold Member
Borderline B, they showed some great games but no big major surprises, no FFVII either which was pretty damn disappointing. Ghosts, TLOU2 look great, RE2 was the main reason I was checking this out and the no show FFVII.

I know Sony usually wins these events, and I’m speaking entirely from an unbiased perspective that may be unpopular, based on conferences and shows, games shown, overall Microsoft nailed it. Sony had the most impressive game(Ghosts) but I feel like they really needed to show more. I’m not sure if they are suffering from development fatigue, holding back games for the next gen or simply wish to keep things hush hush.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Isn't Medievil supposed to release this year? When are they going to announce the date? At PSX in December?

Aquanox

Some of this felt like 2005 all over again...

TLOU 2 was impressive. No doubts about it... but then...

Ghost... looked great, but I felt cheated. The "gameplay" shown looked way too scripted. Everything was a 1 hit kill, that wasn't gameplay. Makes me remember when Sony tried to fool us with "White Knight Chronicles" at TGS 2006.

But the most obvious CGI farce was Spider-Man. Heck, they showed actual gameplay after the show and it didn't look nearly a good as the "Trailer" shown. Why keep showing pre-rendered sh1t when you already have the game perfectly playable? This took me to the infamous Killzone trailer era but this time around they shot their feet instantaneously when actual gameplay started to show up.

RE2 Remake announcement was nice, but that's MultiPlatform. I hope Ni oh ends up being a good game, I really liked the first one.

But going to the mother of all catastrophes in this show... what the hell was with this Format? Me and all my friends were absolutely confused and thinking if the show had actually started... or if it had ended... then it resumed, and paused again. People were commenting during the break so I had to switch to another stream fearing I was using the wrong one and was just watching a Recap. NO... that was the REAL DEAL!!

Also, were the heck were the presenters? It looked as if nobody from Sony wanted to show up, I might be exaggerating but I felt genuinely disrespected and somehow... embarrassed about all this.

Sony needs to be more honest with gamers and show "gameplay" trailers that are actually representative of the real game... or at least a realistic target demo. One could give it a pass with Ghost... a game releasing much later on... but Spider-Man?

I honestly don't understand the logic behind this mess, but Sony clearly dropped the ball in this E3 and the obvious winner was Microsoft. Sony surely still has the upper hand in terms of exclusives but man... way to make a disaster of a conference. If it wasn't for EA's, it would've been the worst this year.

down 2 orth

I don't know if they were on a lower budget or just kind of disorganized, but the whole thing felt off.

Control looks cool.

Ghosts of Tsushima is kind of disappointing. Putting a drop of history into a vat of fiction, you might as well throw in some oni and naked immortals while you're at it. A samurai (as in any samurai) without a bow is like a cowboy without a gun; not saying they should do all their homework, but just do enough so the game isn't Nio without magic.

Death Stranding looks wacky as fuck, but I'm definitely interested.

A Nier remaster on any stage would have been super sweet......

Mr Hyde

This conference was shit. I mean, the games they showed were kinda awesome, especially Death Stranding, RE2 and Control, but the show itself sucked ass through a straw.

Ar¢tos

Did we really need to waste 15min of conference watching 2 guys playing instruments? I think that added nothing to the conference (even if the bamboo flute guy had a cute face).

Top Bottom