• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] Sony E3 2018 Conference Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

How would you rate the Sony E3 2018 Conference?

• A

Votes: 67 15.6%
  • B

Votes: 119 27.7%
  • C

Votes: 138 32.1%
  • D

Votes: 61 14.2%
  • F

Votes: 34 7.9%
  • My attention span is too low for all these venue swaps

Votes: 11 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Dude some of us are old enough to remember 2004 Rootkit. There is nothing 'human' about any of these mega corporations. They all want our cash and now.

I'll hand it to Sony. They took Microsoft's bungled 2013 and made it out like they were 'for the gamer', while MS was anti-gamer. Later we found out Sony was planning the same DRM scheme but dropped it when they found out MS was doing it. There is nothing ethical about Sony, just opportunistic. Gotta give them that, they always were more nimble in making moves that could spin things in their favor.

That was a botched attempt at protecting their shit, and failed miserably. 2004, man, nowadays privacy wise, we are fucked. DRM wise, well PS4 is a hard nut to crack, so they got what they wanted. What I care about is the end product and how they present it, how they nurture the teams they work with, whats the creativity factor etc. Microsoft is soulless to me in this sector. Sony might be the same soulless entity, but at least I don't feel it.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
No, in essence, they are both companies who want your money. Microsoft is just better at getting people to give them money. If Sony could switch places they would in a heartbeat, giving every PlayStation player a big middle finger along the way if Microsoft demanded it. Sony does not care about you, or any of us. They are not human, they are just a company that wants your money. People get way too caught up in these corporations like they are out to personally serve us, they are not. I will never understand why people give their loyalty to giant companies.
You don't have to explain to me what a public company is. But a company is just a group of people bringing something on the table. And what I see is that MS got some serious issues with peepz running its VG division. I'm not loyal to any corporation, what I see and check is the end product. The output I see from Sony is much closer to my heart that's all. Probably because they are risk takers which brings variety to this sector.

kungfuian

While I love Sony and their games that show was very poor imo. Aside from the obvious cut to 13 min intermission right after starting (who the hell green lit that?) the real problem was that the content of the show didn't match up with what I consider to be the major strength of the Playstation platform/brand.

It's common knowledge that Sony is the market leader because they offer both a depth and breadth of content that draws in the diverse crowds, big block busters as well as the small unique offerings. By focusing this show on only a few games (no matter how spectacular) they are neglecting the many audiences not interested in those games and not really playing to their strengths. The funny thing is they have a wide selection of diverse games coming up. They just choose not to show them. I don't understand the logic of this move aside from maybe increasing sales of these few games. Either that or they are legitimately moving their resources toward a 'big block buster' type model of first party development vs. the 'diverse experimental games and blockbusters' combo we had in the past (this would suck imo).

Personally it would have been interesting to see them have a show similar in structure (without intermission, lol) but 'deep dive' into like 10 games 5-15 min each.

Also I really hate how a little while back there were a bunch of people on these forums bitching about Sony announcing games too early. I think these people were dead wrong and it's a mistake for Sony to have listened. Give me the announcements of games 2-3 years out and ignore the naysayers (I suspect most were fanboys of a different platform anyway).

Last edited:

Halo0629

Since I didn't really hyped myself that much with sony's conference I'll give it a B+. Tlou, spiderman, control, re2, nioh 2, got, and ds were all great but sadly the presentation kind of sucks and I don't understand why they went that way when their past presentations has been great.

ruvikx

Banned
So what game is going to captivate you with gameplay that hasn't already been done? Enlighten me with your examples?

Resident Evil 2... which has already been done (RE4) but its approach to combat/shooting/level design/puzzles is far, far more engaging than the container puzzles/stealth smash people in the face with a brick simulator aka Last of Us. Certainly from my perspective. My point wasn't cantered around a "oh noes I've played that type of game before ergo I'm not interested", but rather a "I've played that specific stealth-hiding-in-long-grass type of game & it's not my favorite thing in the world - far from it".

It's almost like... people don't enjoy the same stuff! I have zero obligation to praise something just because of 'production values' or whatnot when the core gameplay makes my eyes bleed after I've reached a certain 'I've had enough of this' saturation point. I lost interest in Horizon Zero Dawn for example after 20 hours of gameplay when I was given yet another quest which required sitting in long grass for eons.

If I wanted that I'd play Snake Eater again.

Psykodad

Banned
While I love Sony and their games that show was very poor imo. Aside from the obvious cut to 13 min intermission right after starting (who the hell green lit that?) the real problem was that the content of the show didn't match up with what I consider to be the major strength of the Playstation platform/brand.

It's common knowledge that Sony is the market leader because they offer both a depth and breadth of content that draws in the diverse crowds, big block busters as well as the small unique offerings. By focusing this show on only a few games (no matter how spectacular) they are neglecting the many audiences not interested in those games and not really playing to their strengths. The funny thing is they have a wide selection of diverse games coming up. They just choose not to show them. I don't understand the logic of this move aside from maybe increasing sales of these few games. Either that or they are legitimately moving their resources toward a 'big block buster' type model of first party development vs. the 'diverse experimental games and blockbusters' combo we had in the past (this would suck imo).

Personally it would have been interesting to see them have a show similar in structure (without intermission, lol) but 'deep dive' into like 10 games 5-15 min each.

Also I really hate how a little while back there were a bunch of people on these forums bitching about Sony announcing games too early. I think these people were dead wrong and it's a mistake for Sony to have listened. Give me the announcements of games 2-3 years out and ignore the naysayers (I suspect most were fanboys of a different platform anyway).
I took this conference more as Sony being lazy, because MS doesn't really have anything going for it and the internet makes sure everybody knows all those multiplatform-games are coming to PS4 too (it's pretty much a given 90% of the time).

It's an A for me. I was super excited for the Ghost of Tsushima, Spiderman, and Death Stranding, but now my hype is there for The Last of Us Part II. They all look incredible. Then there was the Ni-Oh 2 and RE2 announcements as well. It hit all my interests.

I only wish we saw something for FFVII R, but Square is pushing KHIII right now. So definitely next year.

Last edited:
After some time to digest, I stand by what I said about their show being mediocre. What's actually coming for the platform is pretty good but most of the games that interested me this E3 were in other shows. Just comparing it with last year's show there was nothing as memorable as playing the Detroit demo live with the audience.

It's a C from me.
+for the most part the deep dives were pretty good, with the highlight being Spiderman
+the second half of the conference was great, with good flow.
- The intermission in the middle really killed some of the hype
-only three new games (with only one exclusive), and eight games in total (as opposed to 50 from microsoft)
- Not a single fucking release date apart from RE2

weevles

I get the sense that Sony is coasting right now. They did have solid titles to show, but nothing really "new and shiny" to get people super hyped for this year and next. I get that they wanted to do something special with the TLOU2 showing, but the venue change was a bad idea for the flow of the presentation. This year was difficult for both MS and Sony due to both having long-in-the-tooth hardware, but especially so for Sony because as the current console "leader" they were especially in danger of exactly what happened this year where they had little to really break news about.

JimiNutz

Banned
I gave it an A because they showed extended gameplay slices of big AAA exclusive games that all looked really awesome. That alone made the conference better than anything else I saw at E3.

I was disappointed by the lack of PSVR or any huge major third party surprises but the quality of the games on display more than made up for it.

Ghost of Tsushima, Spider-Man and TLOU2 were all up there with my favourite looking games at E3 and it's hard to deny the quality of Sony software.

Hostile_18

Banned
Well I think it's more a calculated risk to have a slightly underwhelming showing, which they can do because they are the market leader. Mainly for the transition to the PS5. It makes sense as there's nothing worse than launching a console without a strong launch line up. Nintendo have recently shown what an advantage it can be.

That been said It was a mistake to "let" Microsoft have nearly all the third parties on their stage. We're Microsoft super aggressive or Sony to laid back in this regard? It's hard to tell. Also as pointed out the stage transitions failed, although it is good they are not afraid to change up the formula. The Remedy reveal should of been made alot more important and on a conventional conference I have a feeling it would have.

Also it was weird how some big first party games were left out mainly Days Gone and Dreams. With there stages of development a quick gameplay segment shouldn't of been hard.

The games that were shown are strong enough for a 8/10 (individually stronger but not backed up by many third parties).

The conference was maybe a 5/10. Not terrible but a real mixed bag.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think MS was better as far as what they showed..

MS did have a really good conference and the pacing was much better. Sony games def had a better showing than MS games though. I appreciate that is mostly subjective opinion based on taste in games but Sony showed extended gameplay footage of four big exclusive AAA games and did a better job of showing off their games.

MS had a conference that was easier to watch but they did a pretty poor job of really showcasing their games (Halo Infinite and Crackdown 3 in particular).

pop_tarts

Can't say much that's what's already been said. Sony's conference was subpar and hopefully the games speak for themselves and they come out dropping bombs after bombs next year.

I'm giving it a D, ignoring the presentation

Death Stranding looked atrocious, I'm starting to see why Kojima never branched off or did anything aside Metal Gear (not including his earlier obscure works)

The Last of Us 2 looked great but it looks like it could of been an expansion pack for the first game with better graphics, the gameplay hasn't changed much

Ghost of Tsushima looked incredible

Spiderman looked great but 3 E3 in a row is a bit too much.

Everyone I have decided, with all the sadness in my heart, that I will be leaving this site as i feel dead and irrelevant and hopefully i'll use this time to meditate about the direction my life has gone into.

i love you all... Take care guys!

Top Bottom