• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Sony] The Last of Us Part II – E3 2018 Gameplay Reveal

WaterAstro

People that have a problem with it, just treat it like violence in video games. If you don't believe violence has any affect irl, then so doesn't this.

Dontero

Banned
Except that’s what people said about the UC4 gameplay reveal...and yet the dynamic gameplay was exactly as impressive.

Why it is fake demo:
- Enemy perfectly coordinates and AI is perfect
- Perfect enemy placement
- They talk between each other perfectly coordinating their actions
- perfect camera shots despite being behind character
- perfect misses. You can see how things dramatically blow before your or very close to you.
- last second changes, like enemy character "finding you out last second" and pefectly trying to change animation to kill you.

How guilable you need to be to eat that scripted shit ? TLOU1 already had fake demo such as this but i didn't think after getting caught before they will actually do it again and turn scripts to 11.

There is huge difference between gameplay that has slight scripting to spice up usually boring minute to minute gameplay that has huge chance to be boring vs completely scripting every second of it.

While game will be probably good it is straight up false adverting.

It still looked great and did a good job of showing that the game plays like Part 1.

That is the point. It doesn't actually show real gameplay. It shows you basically cutscenes.

Last edited:

TimFL

Ellie being lesbian doesn‘t bother me, what bothers me is how they dropped a gigantic spoiler via the kiss: she obviously is not highly infectious anymore...

That being sad I would prepare to play as Joel. Female protagonists just don‘t do it for me. I prefer playing as male protagonists. Will get it day 1 regardless.

Psykodad

Banned
Ellie being lesbian doesn‘t bother me, what bothers me is how they dropped a gigantic spoiler via the kiss: she obviously is not highly infectious anymore...

That being sad I would prepare to play as Joel. Female protagonists just don‘t do it for me. I prefer playing as male protagonists. Will get it day 1 regardless.
Was she infectuous though?
Can't remember that we ever had any reason to believe so, unless I forgot about some little detail. Been a few years since I've played TLOU.

nowhat

Hmm, has the method of infection, like exactly, ever been established in the TLoU universe? Honest question, while I've probably read most (but not all) of the random notes in the game, I can't remember this.

Traditionally when talking about zombies, you have to get bitten, a zombie drooling on you won't do it. Whether that makes sense or not I cannot say, but that's the common "zombie canon".

So you bitter little shits just completely missed the point of dramatic contrast. Good job there.

Game looks incredible, of course.

Last edited:

eLGee

I'm not sure it's all scripted, it seems like it's more dynamic than that. Of course we have to wait for a demo or the full game to know for sure, but I'm psyched.

Bönthö

Neo Member
Of course this wasn't played live on stage, but the whole purpose of this demo was to showcase how dynamic the gameplay is. Dunno if it's like that in the final game, but if it is, this is extremely impressive and leagues above what part 1 was or any other game is in their gameplay. I'm not so sure about them making the same mistake to overexaggerate gameplay, as with the first tlou reveal

ruvikx

Banned
I don't understand whats the issue with this!!? I bet you anything if Ellie would have kissed boy in first game again kissed a guy in this game you wouldn't complaining about it would you? Because that much more normal or natural in your eyes.

Personally speaking I would actually complain if "she kissed a guy", namely because I don't like soppy soap opera melodrama romance cheese ala Twilight as a central plot device in my entertainment. Certainly not when the implications vis-à-vis the scenario (love, fear of loss, revenge, anger etc.) has been done to death in millions of other books/films/series/games & I find it beyond tedious. In The Walking Dead for example, Maggie & Glenn's infatuation was the ultimate bore factor of the show (the behaviour of such characters is always utterly clichéd).

I dislike family drama, daddy issues, romance & all that claptrap - especially when it's the numero uno motivating factor of the characters. So the fact she's a lesbian means diddly-squat because my idea of a good hero/protagonist & their journey dopes not involve what we've seen in The Last of Us II.

Y2H

Looks very similar to the first game so it should be good. Hopefully we get to see lots of old man Joel in the game. Make him an old and cranky sod like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino.
and yet it will be overrated as fuck
Uh-oh, you used the 'O' word. The fanboys/girls aren't gonna like that.

Poppyseed

I did and yet it still felt kind of forced.

It'll be interesting to see how this game will do given that it's not just a female lead this time but a clearly lesbian female. Guess now we'll see really just how much people care about this. It sure is a bold move from both Sony and ND.

If it had been Ellie and a guy, would it have still felt forced to you? I fail to see how two people feeling attracted to each other is considered “forced.”

Allandor

Well the graphics and animation looks amazing. But this is just to brutal for me. Sry, but I really don't want to see how someone pulls out the guts of someone. This is just not mine, therefore the game looks just to realistic. I don't have a problem in e.g. Doom or something like that, but those games don't want to look realistic, they want to look cool.

But what really broke it for me, was the scene when she got shot with a shotgun. She is just holding her shoulder for a sec and runs away … all that realism and than …. nothing. This just didn't fit into the rest of the shown.
She staps someone, … dead … she get shot from a few meters with a shotgun … nothing … instead she runs way, the shoulder is ok again and get shot a few more time.
A few moments before the shot she also get hit by an axe (or something like this), again nothing.
At least they should let her evade the attack for the trailer, but not like that.

Well, the game looked more like a brutal Tomb Raider clone after those scenes

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If it had been Ellie and a guy, would it have still felt forced to you? I fail to see how two people feeling attracted to each other is considered “forced.”
No, it wouldn‘t. Though I would have asked myself what the point of such a scene is. It had no context whatsoever, be it a dude or a girl.

The way it is presented it feels forced and out of context. They just did it to provoke a reation, that‘s all.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Clearly set at the same time period as the last trailer. Finally we can put to rest the silly notion that the other women is Ellie's mother.

Last edited:

J3nga

Soundtrack during the dance is gorgeous though, anyone has the link to it?

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
No, it wouldn‘t. Though I would have asked myself what the point of such a scene is. It had no context whatsoever, be it a dude or a girl.

The way it is presented it feels forced and out of context. They just did it to provoke a reation, that‘s all.

It's also becoming increasingly clear this sort of political overt in-our-faces stuff is nothing more than a shield which protects a product against criticism (certainly in the mainstream media), i.e. whether the game/movie is good or bad there's no professional outlet in this current-year which would dare criticize a game with a lesbian protagonist - for fear of being labelled a deplorable.

It's a pretty evident defense mechanism which I'm certain the corporate suits behind these games understand perfectly well. The real question is whether gamers themselves (i.e. the paying customers, lest we forget) show the same enthusiasm for the product as they would without the political angle plastered all over the trailers.

Psykodad

Banned
It's also becoming increasingly clear this sort of political overt in-our-faces stuff is nothing more than a shield which protects a product against criticism (certainly in the mainstream media), i.e. whether the game/movie is good or bad there's no professional outlet in this current-year which would dare criticize a game with a lesbian protagonist - for fear of being labelled a deplorable.

It's a pretty evident defense mechanism which I'm certain the corporate suits behind these games understand perfectly well. The real question is whether gamers themselves (i.e. the paying customers, lest we forget) show the same enthusiasm for the product as they would without the political angle plastered all over the trailers.
Yes, they already covered their asses back when Left Behind dropped. Druckmann was smart enough to realize they needed to shield Part II from criticism by making Ellie gay a couple of years ago. /s

petrus91

Hyped.
Bet it’s gonna be a 2020 title.
Play it on PS4/Pro in March/April/May and get it enhanced (for free) with PS5 in November.

kyubajin

So much old-fashioned backwards talk on this thread, it still amazes me how people care that much about a fucking gay kiss yet doesn't move an eye about the extreme violence show along with it.

ruvikx

Banned
Yes, they already covered their asses back when Left Behind dropped. Druckmann was smart enough to realize they needed to shield Part II from criticism by making Ellie gay a couple of years ago. /s

I gather this is sarcasm? It should be noted The Last of Us & its DLC is nowhere near as good as the hype suggests, i.e. the game is riddled with enemy AI issues which merit a serious mention. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but, it's certainly not (from a technical & design standpoint) beyond reproach (dumb human enemies & friendly AI looking like dorks as they run around like headless chicken). Yet good luck mentioning this in some circles when a horde of harpies screeching 'bigot/gamergator/sexist/racist!' create a literal forcefield defense around a game which caters to their own political bias.

Ainsi va la vie.

TimFL

Hmm, has the method of infection, like exactly, ever been established in the TLoU universe? Honest question, while I've probably read most (but not all) of the random notes in the game, I can't remember this.

Traditionally when talking about zombies, you have to get bitten, a zombie drooling on you won't do it. Whether that makes sense or not I cannot say, but that's the common "zombie canon".
That point is moot because the lore differs greatly between franchises. She did infect someone by biting him, seems to me her spit is infectious. No reason why it wouldn‘t infect someone via kissing.

Was she infectuous though?
Can't remember that we ever had any reason to believe so, unless I forgot about some little detail. Been a few years since I've played TLOU.
She was, afaik she infected that guy who held her captive in the snow level by biting him.

Psykodad

Banned
I gather this is sarcasm? It should be noted The Last of Us & its DLC is nowhere near as good as the hype suggests, i.e. the game is riddled with enemy AI issues which merit a serious mention. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but, it's certainly not (from a technical & design standpoint) beyond reproach (dumb human enemies & friendly AI looking like dorks as they run around like headless chicken). Yet good luck mentioning this in some circles when a horde of harpies screeching 'bigot/gamergator/sexist/racist!' create a literal forcefield defense around a game which caters to their own political bias.

Ainsi va la vie.
I don't get where you're trying to go.
In your previous post, you (indirectly) implied that it's becoming increasingly clear that Ellie being gay is some way to shield a sequel to TLOU from criticism.
Even though her sexuality has been established in post-release DLC for the original, when (according to Druckmann) there were no concrete plans for a sequel.

Now, you suddenly start talking about flaws in TLOU, which everyone is well-aware of.
I've never seen anyone say that TLOU had the best ever AI, or thatnit was flawless.
It was praised for it's overall quality.
I don't even see how that relates to what you were claiming about defensive mechanisms and political angles.

Psykodad

Banned
She was, afaik she infected that guy who held her captive in the snow level by biting him.

She didn't infect him.
He had her tied to the table and was about to chop her in pieces, so all she could do was bite him and tell him she got bitten before, knowing the scars on her arm would back up her bluff.

Last edited:

siavash

Neo Member
i do not mind a gay kiss,but i do mind a pointless boring kiss of any kind
i still did not find any good reason why we needed this second part other than just money

Future

The contrast between a normal young girl Ellie and the harsh brutal world they live in was the point of the trailer. That smile at the end seals in the awkward life she’s gotta lead... young girl / cold blooded killer (chopping dudes head off wasn’t necessary, but did it anyway). None of that felt forced to me.

Sure they didn’t have to show a full on kiss, but that moment works because of how human of a response she had to it, both during and after with the smile.

Plus it gets you thinking what the timeline is for these scenes. Does Ellie start out happy, but then something goes wrong causing her to go HAM like later on the trailer?

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
I did and yet it still felt kind of forced.

It'll be interesting to see how this game will do given that it's not just a female lead this time but a clearly lesbian female. Guess now we'll see really just how much people care about this. It sure is a bold move from both Sony and ND.

How can it be forced if, let's say, it's what ND decided from the start?

This is Naughty Dogs game, not anyone else, they decide how their game is gonna be. Nothing is forced.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
How can it be forced if, let's say, it's what ND decided from the start?

This is Naughty Dogs game, not anyone else, they decide how their game is gonna be. Nothing is forced.
Again, it has no context and feels too much in your face. From what I gathered afterwards it seems that Ellie‘s girlfriend was killed and therefore she is going on the killing spree. Only, you don‘t really notice that from the trailer. It felt really off and cheap.

They could have made this much better. Say you see them dancing, then a cut, you see Ellie holding her dead girl, then a cut, gameplay is rolling. Something like that. Would have given the whole thing much more context. But no, instead they choose to choose to show two girls kissing without a clear correlation to the gameplay afterwards. It‘s so obvious that they were just gauging for a reaction.

And again, it wouldn‘t have been much better if you would have swapped the girl for a dude. The only difference is that it then would have been „mere“ lazy.

Or to some it up a bit and be honest: I have nothing against Ellie being gay but I think that making that an essential part of the story requests a bit more care than say if she would have been straight.

My opinion. Shoot me for it.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

What do people mean by ‘scripted’ in a negative tense?

Obviously scripting is important for AI as it tells what should happen at X interval based on Y interval.

Obviously this goes a bit deeper than a normal game as did the first title. Eg. Trying to shoot without ammo would cause the enemy to hear the click and change attack patterns.

More improved AI is what I want to see in games as it makes for a more realistic experience.

Scripting is awesome IMO.

Geki-D

Banned
^ They mean scripted as in made especially for this E3 presentation and won't be as impressive during actual gameplay.

Not saying that's the case myself, besides the very end part with the pickaxe guy, the rest doesn't seem too insane to me.

KevinKeene

Banned
I wish ND was actually as progressive as they pretend to be and have a gay male protagonist kissing another male character like that.

D

Deleted member 738645

Unconfirmed Member
Again, it has no context and feels too much in your face. From what I gathered afterwards it seems that Ellie‘s girlfriend was killed and therefore she is going on the killing spree. Only, you don‘t really notice that from the trailer. It felt really off and cheap.

They could have made this much better. Say you see them dancing, then a cut, you see Ellie holding her dead girl, then a cut, gameplay is rolling. Something like that. Would have given the whole thing much more context. But no, instead they choose to choose to show two girls kissing without a clear correlation to the gameplay afterwards. It‘s so obvious that they were just gauging for a reaction.

And again, it wouldn‘t have been much better if you would have swapped the girl for a dude. The only difference is that it then would have been „mere“ lazy.

Or to some it up a bit and be honest: I have nothing against Ellie being gay but I think that making that an essential part of the story requests a bit more care than say if she would have been straight.

My opinion. Shoot me for it.

Of course it has context, everything has context.

Also, almost every trailer has introduduzed new characters to the story. She is a new character on Ellies journey.

This stuff with things being "forced" is not an argument as nothing can be forced by the devs. If a dev think about putting a gay couple in their videogame, that's their plan, that' s their idea for their videogame.

Why can't it just be a simple kiss? Why does the developer have to force something or have an agenda?

I wish ND was actually as progressive as they pretend to be and have a gay male protagonist kissing another male character like that.

Maybe that isn't NDs plan for TLOU?

It's not about being progressive, it's about them telling the story they want.

A white male is a protagonist kissing one ore more women in hundreds of other games and noone bats an eye, a female character kissing another female and people think it's forced.

Last edited by a moderator:

llien

The game really looks like its taking all the feathers out of HZD's cap in a good way!
Huh?
I'm about 15 hours into HZ, mostly fooling around killing living beings and machines.
Was looking at the trailer and thinking that:

1) graphics is not up to HZ levels (maybe playing it in HDR on 65" OLED spoils me)
2) I won't be enjoying it as much, watching this gameplay (perhaps because I find hunting more interesting than being hunted)

But then, I'm stuck on some bossy thing that kills me 15 seconds after loading, so maybe TLOU is simply not for me.

nowhat

But then, I'm stuck on some bossy thing that kills me 15 seconds after loading, so maybe TLOU is simply not for me.
If this is in a certain basement, there basically is only one way to do that encounter, especially on harder difficulties:
  1. get the keycard
  2. start the generator
  3. RUN

AlexxKidd

I think the emphasis on the kills is a no for me. ;_;

Wow why did you take it so personal? That's mostly what the trailed showed, walking in many different places, it even showed the guy walking with the baby "activated" after he said he had an idea. So you might as well reread the first part of the comment you quoted.

Maybe YOU need to go back and reread the ENTIRE part of MY comment that YOU quoted. I complimented the poster xviper on the fact that he very well may be a genius for coming up with the hypothesis that Death Stranding "is probably a walking simulator." I complimented his intelligence for coming to that conclusion. I stated that slightly, just 'slightly,' however, that Hideo Kojima may be even more of a genius than xviper in the realm of video games, so I'll choose to put my faith in Kojima. If you want to put your faith in xviper, then by all means that is your business.

Now, thank YOU and PLEASE, come again.

Dunki

People sure are getting their feelings hurt because a female protagonist is able to kill male adversaries.
No they will get angry because they fridge Ellies girlfriend. If they are not we know exactly what their agenda is when they mention and criticize this all the time.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
@everyone can we avoid this thread descending into a controversial single issue argument please? It diminishes any ongoing positive thoughts from the reveal and actual discussion about the core gameplay, mechanics and story speculation which is what should be the base fuel for these type of threads.

By all means do feel free to start a topic on ND handling of the sexuality reveal, the overall diversity of E3 in general or even the 'pandering' of publishers in their marketing to convince everyone they are diverse. Is it now doing more harm than good and other such topics.

Last edited:

nowhat

Good point about not derailing the thread, so let us discuss the mechanics. While much of the demo probably was more or less scripted, one thing I really liked (and I'm assuming will be in the final game as there was a button prompt for it) was when Ellie got struck by an arrow and she had to yank it out. Gameplay-wise that was the highlight for me, otherwise it looked like TLoU, just more refined (which is to be expected).

AlexxKidd

Yes they kept the same UI which I like, there was nothing wrong with it, it gives this game familiarity and it makes me think I'll be able to jump in and feel comfortable somewhat quickly. And I want the controls to be comfortable because obviously the GAME looks like it'll continue doing a good job of making you the player feel UNcomfortable.

graffix13

I still don't think TLoU needed a sequel. The first game is my #2 GOAT, but I just never felt the need for a sequel (at least, with the same characters).

This looked...ok. Will probably still play this but, at the moment, my hype for it is non existent.

Kagero

Who cares if it's scripted. It's not like this is the first installment. You know how the game is going to play. What this demo tells me is the variety in combat has been cranked up two folds. It's also great to know how amazing this game is going to look. HYPE!

Nymphae

Banned
I'll be honest, I didn't need that in a trailer. I mean most of my FemSheps are lesbian, so I am not going to sit here and criticize the love interest. I do criticize the mic drop of it. That is nothing but pandering push back. That isn't good story telling. That should have played out in cut scenes that I got to see unfold in game.

Exactly. I'm seeing a lot of TAKE THAT BIGOT on Era. I'm just like, I don't care about this aspect of the game at all, it feels forced to me. Gamers are so fucking weird anymore. Tons of hype at Era for the Assassins Creed romance options....I'm just thinking, can I get a sequel to AC 1 or 2 please?

Last edited:

Cleared_Hot

Meh. I loved the original and uncharted 4... The gameplay here looked incredible but the story stuff is too over dramatic. I'm tired of watching cut scenes.

pr0cs

On a technical level the kiss scene is impressive, as mentioned before it seems really difficult to pull off in games without serious uncanny Valley.

The use of it did feel a bit like pandering but I am OK with it.

The gameplay felt pretty scripted but if they can come close to even some of that graphically or organically I'll be thrilled. Tlou is still one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm a naughty dog mark so that might not be saying much

Top Bottom